Betting on Games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Yukari
Yukari
Goon
Yukari
Goon
Goon

Betting on Games

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Post by Yukari »

Ok, so we know this is normally not allowed. The question is, is this ever allowed on mafiascum? The only situation where we have seen ppl play mafia for money would be the Mafworldcup.

So, bets for $ or other things, does this ever happen here? Ever happened? Allowed or not?

If not here, then does anyone know of another place to play for $ other than mafworldcup?

Just curious.

Personally think it would both add and take away from the fun in various ways. Would also give motive for cheating.
Stare into meta for too long and meta may stare back into you.
Wubba lubba dub dub!
We are now Retired.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Post by Vampirate »

I think it distorts the spirit of the game too much.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Post by Kagami »

O, you think I'm scum? I'll bet you 100 dollars I'm not.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

Subject: Forum Rules and Guidelines

mith wrote:Do not bring outside influences into the game - this includes threats, bribes, wagers, promises, "trust tells", alliances, etc.
To be clear: quack
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

I've never heard of the mafworldcup before. That actually sounds pretty interesting. Is there a way to watch the games?
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

I've consistently batted around ideas in my head about fake wagering either as a mechanic or sorts, a mish mash game, or something else.

1) Too much work.
2) I don't like math.
Yukari
Yukari
Goon
Yukari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:26 am

Post by Yukari »

In post 4, Alchemist21 wrote:I've never heard of the mafworldcup before. That actually sounds pretty interesting. Is there a way to watch the games?

We started a thread here on mafiascum about mafworldcup if interested: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61862

The rules are a bit different, and most of the games are in russian(some are english, though lot of strong russian accents), but yea you can find links to some of the games on the mafworldcup site tournament history here, though there are more available to watch on youtube.

Wish i knew how to watch with english subs cause some of the games are pretty fun to watch.

Some of the rule differences we noticed:
A player has to first be nominated for the chopping block before being voteable.
Mafia typically pre-plan who to kill in the dawn of D1 because they all must shoot the same target else kill does not go through.
During the same "night," when all the cards are chosen, the moderator announces, "The Mafia awakens." Then, the players with black cards, including the Don, take off their masks and become acquainted with one another. This is the first and the only night that the mafia members open their eyes all at the same time. During this "introduction," the black players can set up their plot for the elimination of red players.

The moderator announces, "Mafia goes hunting," and each black player, with their mask on, indicates the number of the player they are shooting. If all members of Mafia "shoot" at the same player, that player is considered eliminated. If the Mafia members "shoot" at different players, they miss; it therefore it is imperative for the black players to plan the sequence of player elimination during the first night, when they all see each other.

Also, it would seem that player's alignment is not revealed upon their death.

Oh and lastly, the 2012 final was 1 of our fav MWC games we have seen so far:
Wubba lubba dub dub!
We are now Retired.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:37 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

Lol wtf. It would be fun to play a game like that, but that was a pretty terrible scumteam.
Yukari
Yukari
Goon
Yukari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:00 am

Post by Yukari »

In post 7, Alchemist21 wrote:Lol wtf. It would be fun to play a game like that, but that was a pretty terrible scumteam.

Spoiler: spoiler
Lol yea, but town did pretty well though. ^^
Sux that #10 failed to nominate #1, though by that point it likely would not have helped.
Love how #5 pegged #4 as scum from the start, probably not the best NK though.

Would love to try some face2face mafia sometime, if the mafiascum decks ever ship. @_@
Wubba lubba dub dub!
We are now Retired.
Yukari
Yukari
Goon
Yukari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:31 am

Post by Yukari »

In post 3, SleepyKrew wrote:Subject: Forum Rules and Guidelines

mith wrote:Do not bring outside influences into the game - this includes threats, bribes, wagers, promises, "trust tells", alliances, etc.

Right, this would be the rule which does not allow it. Thing is mods tend to have some wiggle room with their own games.
For example: even the major rule Discussion of Ongoing Mafia Games is Not Allowed lists 1 of 3 exceptions as:
The Game Allows Outside Communication
Where a game allows communication, it may be allowed. This must be EXPLICITLY stated in the rules (and as a listmod, we'd appreciate it if game mods would give us a heads up when this is the case).

Please note that a game mod may allow communications about his or her OWN game to be discussed elsewhere, but he or she may NOT allow discussion of other ongoing games in their thread.

So, the question is: Is there ever an exception to the no wagers rule?
Again, just curious.

Personally wouldn't want to play mafia for $(cept maybe mafworldcup 1 day, never been to vegas and seems a fun excuse to go vacation sometime.) Specially not play for $ online, but might could see non-monetary betting as a fun gimmick, maybe. X,x
Wubba lubba dub dub!
We are now Retired.
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:36 am

Post by IceGuy »

I've considered running a C9++ in the mini theme queue, and a betting thread (bet on PRs, scum, lynches and NKs) in Mish Mash. Betting would've been in virtual dollars only, though. Though I probably would need admin approval for this.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:45 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

Maybe someone can make a theme game with a poker hand mechanic, where all players start the game with a certain amount of "money" and each Day Phase all players get a new hand from the mod. During the Day, in addition to voting for the lynch they can also bet on their hands, and whoever has the best hand wins the pot which can be spent on in-game items.

Actually I might do this. If I can work out some of the finer details I could make a mini Theme like this.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:00 am

Post by wgeurts »

I have pondered that type of setup before Alchemist. The trouble I ran into was not making the betting mechanic too-broken and getting it to work smoothly without interrupting the game. Five-card-draw would work best is what I figured as it involves the least hassle.
PM me and I can help design one if you want.
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

Yukari
Yukari
Goon
Yukari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:24 am

Post by Yukari »

If you make a game like that shoot an invite and will join if not in too many games already.
Wubba lubba dub dub!
We are now Retired.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 12, wgeurts wrote:I have pondered that type of setup before Alchemist. The trouble I ran into was not making the betting mechanic too-broken and getting it to work smoothly without interrupting the game. Five-card-draw would work best is what I figured as it involves the least hassle.
PM me and I can help design one if you want.

That's the one I'm thinking of too. I've already drafted most of the special rules I've got in mind. When I'm done with this first draft I'll PM you for a second opinion on everything.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 13, Yukari wrote:If you make a game like that shoot an invite and will join if not in too many games already.

Also noted. I'll make a reminder.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”