Replace-Out Mechanics and Policies?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Replace-Out Mechanics and Policies?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Regardless of why, it just happens sometimes; A player must replace out of a game.
However, this can leave the incoming player with lots of information to take in. Regardless of alignment, the incoming player has all the onus of catching up with the game and following through in their predecessor's (sometimes entrenched) path.

I've considered offering a bit more leeway to ease the replace in/replace out situation. Here are some ideas;
The replacing out player can leave a message for the incoming player, informing them of any crumbs/thoughts/etc.
Moderation could give a brief game summary to the new player. Nothing such as 'No one suspects you', but info such as 'You have never been wagoned with more than 2 votes' could be fine?
Deadline freeze upon a player replacing out. Deadline resumes as soon as the replace-in posts in thread, with understanding that their post signifies they are caught up.

These are some ideas of mine that I am considering offering. What do you think?
How do you feel about replacements and how they are handled on Mafiascum?
What mechanics/policies would you add?
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:32 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

Idk. The replacements can usually get a need-to-know summary of the game state such as claims and results by asking the players in-thread. Allowing the players to leave a message seems like borderline out-of-game communication. I know players often seek out specific individuals they like when a game needs a replacement, and letting players leave a message may encourage strategic replace-outs, "such as "I have these thoughts/info but can't communicate them as well as I need to, but my friend totally could, so I'll replace-out and ask them to replace in for me."

The second point is pretty much a case of ISO'ing the mod for Vote Counts which doesn't take long.

Deadline freezes already usually happen if a replacement takes too long, though making it regular practice so replacements can catch up does sound like a good idea.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:19 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 0, Varsoon wrote:These are some ideas of mine that I am considering offering. What do you think?
How do you feel about replacements and how they are handled on Mafiascum?
What mechanics/policies would you add?

Depending on the length of the game, deadline freezes are totally fair to all involved. The replacing in person usually knows the length of the game they are getting into, and giving 48 hours for them to catch up in a 100 page game is pretty fair.

As a mod, I would communicate and clarify all this with the replacement before they actually replace in and get their role.

I'd avoid messages by players for the reasons alchemist said.

Game summary should be in the OP and through vote counts. The rest should be only what the other players communicate. That way you avoid mod-confirming anything.

You could offer the freeze while still allowing the replacer catch-up time. This allows them to interact while still gaining the time benefit.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:56 am

Post by Varsoon »

@Alchemist21: Strategic replace-outs are banned. I suppose there is nothing you could do if a player suggests to their friend to replace in, but if that's happening behind the scenes anyway, well, then it's happening anyway. I suppose you're right that leaving a message may encourage that behavior, though.

Yeah, it seems that most players rely on first post game summaries or mod ISOs for catching up. I'd just hate to replace into a game where my predecessor crumbed but I missed it, or something like that, although I suppose there is no fixing that.

I've seen deadline extensions if a replace in comes at night or near the end of a phase. I think I may start implementing a regular 48 hour deadline freeze for replacements so long as no one tries to 'game' that system.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”