A Queue for Games with Short Deadlines?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

A Queue for Games with Short Deadlines?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Post by Mina »

Is there a reason not to have a queue for games with deadlines longer than a marathon game, but with a maximum of like 48 hours? Lots of us would be virulently opposed to doing away with the relaxed deadlines that are the only reason we can play Mafia at all. But at the same time, the vast majority of people coming here are used to faster deadlines, and often run away screaming when they realize they could wait months before finding out who's scum. From all the questions about the deadlines along with the influx of people from communities with different paces, there's clearly a HUGE demand for faster games. If we want to be the go-to site for Mafia, we desperately need to accommodate these people.

I know there's the occasional novelty speed game, but that comes up maybe once every two months or so (disclaimer: this number was pulled out of my ass). Something more regular would be easier to find.

It could be merged with the micro queue (although that might kill poor quadz), or it could be its own queue that gives no or reduced experience. But this idea always comes up whenever reform is discussed (such as in the newbie set-up or the site health thread), and I've never really heard any objections to it beyond the trouble of setting it up. I think this should happen.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:39 pm

Post by Accountant »

/support. I knew about mafiascum for six months but was scared to join because I was used to 5 day phases.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

A short-deadline queue would be cool, but it should probably cover more middle ground deadline-wise. There are probably quite some new players who expect slightly longer deadlines on a Serious Mafia Site, but aren't up for games that take 3 months. A blitz queue could, like the Normal queue, have two types of rapid games in sign-ups at all times: blitz games that have ≤6-day deadlines and bullet games that have deadlines up to 2 days.
Last edited by Bicephalous Bob on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:54 pm

Post by wgeurts »

/support
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:59 pm

Post by farside22 »

If you do it I would seperate it.
1) because games take long to fill
2) to make it easier on the list mod.

The games should be no larger then a mini and balanced, no bastard games allowed and must be reviewed by someone in the community that approved the game.
Also game days are no longer then 7 days seems fair.
Quickie mafia games have a nice ring to it.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:06 am

Post by wgeurts »

Or it's run like the micro queue with a normal queue and an open/mini-theme. Large games wouldn't fit the fast-pace I agree though.
7 days is still long compared to most forums. 3 days is a long day on most sites and would be better.
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:13 am

Post by farside22 »

In post 5, wgeurts wrote:Or it's run like the micro queue with a normal queue and an open/mini-theme. Large games wouldn't fit the fast-pace I agree though.
7 days is still long compared to most forums. 3 days is a long day on most sites and would be better.

Okay so minimum 2 day deadlines max would be 3 days.
But yea you could run a micro, open or mini in the game.
I'm just being clear it should not be bastard and as I feel a little burned by some games is say reviewer is necessary
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:39 am

Post by quadz08 »

I would avoid official Normals in such a queue, should it exist - having the NRG spend time on a game that's only going to take a week is a waste of their time, IMO.

Otherwise, I don't necessarily have an issue with this?
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:52 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

I support this. I was initially out off by the long phases when I first joined, and I've talked to people off-site who are also intimidated by it.
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:21 am

Post by IceGuy »

If you introduce such a queue, please separate the games by time zones.

For me, playing a game with (mostly) Americans wouldn't work with short deadlines. Most of the posting happens when I sleep.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:32 am

Post by saulres »

In post 4, farside22 wrote:must be reviewed

I predict that if that becomes a requirement, the queue will be very long, because it takes such a long time to get games reviewed. Maybe start it off with a subset of established Open games?

In post 9, IceGuy wrote:If you introduce such a queue, please separate the games by time zones.

For me, playing a game with (mostly) Americans wouldn't work with short deadlines. Most of the posting happens when I sleep.

Maybe areas rather than time zones. US has what, five time zones? Six? But I bet they could all play together no problem.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:35 am

Post by IceGuy »

In post 10, saulres wrote:
Maybe areas rather than time zones. US has what, five time zones? Six? But I bet they could all play together no problem.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Something like four time zone areas - Americas, Europe/Africa, Asia, Australia.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:39 am

Post by pirate mollie »

the first site I played mafia on the deadlines were 12 hours and there was 12 hours of night chat and the games almost always had over 20 globally diverse players. the next few sites I played on the day rounds were 24 hours, 12 hour night rounds with no nightchat. the lynches were always plurality based.

I had a hard time adjusting when i first joined this site cos pple worked at a much slower pace than what I was used to. what I have learned is to take my time in games and I have really enjoyed that aspect of this site, but it took a while to get there. what is interesting is that both formats require different skill sets for town and scum.

eta: whoops it posted before I wanted it to. mina I think this is a really good idea, thank you for bringing it up.
whew!
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:48 am

Post by TierShift »

Great idea!
I agree with the others that it needs to have a separate queue.
In post 4, farside22 wrote:The games should be no larger then a mini and balanced, no bastard games allowed and must be reviewed by someone in the community that approved the game.

I disagree. I think bastard games are fine if advertised as such. I think it should be run just like the micro games: reviewed by someone who knows about balance, but nothing more.

If we follow your suggestion, the whole process would take 10 times as long as the actual game, which is messed up.

What to do with mod requirements?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:50 am

Post by Faraday »

It's intensive to mod a game of that type well, I'd say a backup mod is definitely required (ala large games) and that they should probably have the same experience as a large theme mod? Especially if there's no actual number limit (not sure why we'd cap it at mini size, for instance? 14-15 players would work fine for a faster game I think)
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:52 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 7, quadz08 wrote:I would avoid official Normals in such a queue, should it exist - having the NRG spend time on a game that's only going to take a week is a waste of their time, IMO.

I don't think it's a waste of time, per se, I just think there's probably enough games to review as is, given it's a fairly small active pool of volunteers.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:54 am

Post by TierShift »

I think mods that are allowed to run games of a certain size should be allowed to blitz run it, with exception of first time mods. So if you've modded a game, you can mod up to Blitz mini, if you've modded a large theme you can blitz mod anything?

But yeah backup mod great idea
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Post by chamber »

It's not an inherently bad idea but it does feel a bit like a bandaid.
Taking a break from the site.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Post by zoraster »

My worry is about the supply of these games from mods. I don't want us to create a dead queue. We already have low supply for Micros, and I think this would be like that only much, much worse.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Post by farside22 »

In post 10, saulres wrote:
In post 4, farside22 wrote:must be reviewed

I predict that if that becomes a requirement, the queue will be very long, because it takes such a long time to get games reviewed. Maybe start it off with a subset of established Open games?

In post 9, IceGuy wrote:If you introduce such a queue, please separate the games by time zones.

I was t talking about doing the normal review
I said a player who has played mafia and can balance a set up.
Hell I could check 3 games and call it a day.

zoraster wrote:My worry is about the supply of these games from mods. I don't want us to create a dead queue. We already have low supply for Micros, and I think this would be like that only much, much worse.

I didn't know micro's were not having a lot of mod's.
Maybe start this idea with micro's only then and see how it goes.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Post by saulres »

Micros have a problem with mods? It's been a while since I've looked at the queues, that certainly didn't used to be the case. Is it relatively recent? Possibly overlapping with summer break or back to school?

In post 19, farside22 wrote:I was t talking about doing the normal review

Sorry, didn't mean to fluster you into stuttering.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Post by Vampirate »

I do think games need to have day phases be at least 5 days long still, 48, 72 hour day phases are way too short. There needs to be room for discussion, especially considering time zones. Hitting the 5-8 day period for day phases is probably right.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Post by quadz08 »

micros have been holding comfortably at 2 in signups, 0-2 in queue for quite a while now

it's not like it used to be with constant 6-8 person queues
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Post by TheDominator37 »

YEEEEESSS
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Post by chamber »

Micro's draining mods is likely to be more of an issue than this queue would be. Micros cater to both fewer people and a shorter Real time game length. These dames only have the Real Time game length issue.
Taking a break from the site.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”