Mafia game series idea

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Radja
Radja
Serial Thriller
Radja
Serial Thriller
Serial Thriller

Mafia game series idea

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:56 am

Post by Radja »

I was thinking about something that could be pretty cool a while ago and thought I would put this here for people to give their opinions on and give suggestions.

I'm thinking about designing an entire village of fictional people. This village would serve as the background of multiple mafia games.
Every person in this village is made public: name, alignment and role.

From all these people, I would then pick out a number of people and gather them in a mafia game. Nobody knows which people of this village are in the game.
Once a game finishes, the people who were killed are removed from the village and new people move in the village.
This could go on for a long time.

Anyway, you get the picture. Any thoughts on a game series like this?
"I think mafia is the only thing that makes me angrier than driving" - Cheetory6
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:06 am

Post by Ether »

It just seems like a very broad semiopen where vanilla fakeclaims have a slight chance of getting countered. I'm not sure I get the point.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:06 am

Post by Majiffy »

I think a number of your ideas are conflicting, namely why would you reveal every person's role/name/alignment and then enforce anonymity?
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Radja
Radja
Serial Thriller
Radja
Serial Thriller
Serial Thriller

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:11 am

Post by Radja »

In post 2, Majiffy wrote:I think a number of your ideas are conflicting, namely why would you reveal every person's role/name/alignment and then enforce anonymity?

It's not revealed which of the characters are actually in the game.
"I think mafia is the only thing that makes me angrier than driving" - Cheetory6
Radja
Radja
Serial Thriller
Radja
Serial Thriller
Serial Thriller

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:13 am

Post by Radja »

In post 1, Ether wrote:It just seems like a very broad semiopen where vanilla fakeclaims have a slight chance of getting countered. I'm not sure I get the point.

The point is that people can guess which roles might be in the game, based on who else is in it.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:14 am

Post by Ether »

I believe the villagers are fictional; the players behind them don't know which villagers the others are playing.

But knowing which possible role-alignment combinations could exist in a game beforehand isn't that rare. Tacking names on has no impact except in cases where multiple people have the same role. And generally I think of counterclaims through failing to predict the mod as a bad thing.

It might be funny as flavor if the village consisted of, like, existing pop culture characters from lots of different settings that people already liked, maaaaaaybe. Making up 50 new characters and expecting players to care is probably not going to work as well as you'd think.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:17 am

Post by chamber »

In post 5, Ether wrote:I believe the villagers are fictional; the players behind them don't know which villagers the others are playing.

But knowing which possible role-alignment combinations could exist in a game beforehand isn't that rare. Tacking names on has no impact except in cases where multiple people have the same role. And generally I think of counterclaims through failing to predict the mod as a bad thing.

It might be funny as flavor if the village consisted of, like, existing pop culture characters from lots of different settings that people already liked, maaaaaaybe. Making up 50 new characters and expecting players to care is probably not going to work as well as you'd think.

It has the potential to grow it's own mythos if the same VT keeps surviving or something. But if a mafia win means a full town wipe, the likelihood of that is quite low.
Taking a break from the site.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:29 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 5, Ether wrote:I believe the villagers are fictional; the players behind them don't know which villagers the others are playing.

The pop culture mafia already exists in the form of You Could be Anybody Mafia.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:34 am

Post by Ether »

That series uses closed setups, though.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:37 am

Post by Rob14 »

I don't really get the point. Flavor is used to enhance the game of mafia. How is the game of mafia enhanced through this structure? If anything, I think it makes it less successful, because you get into a situation where scum claiming VTs can be counter-claimed unless you provide them with fake claims.

This seems like an overly complicated version of a semi-open, and I don't think it has any advantages over a more traditional semi-open setup or an open setup. Basically, all you're doing is providing a (large) list of roles that may be in the game.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Post by ika »

this is actual a thing iwas planning on. i have this idea of making a series of games where the surviving "players" go further on in the story and the one who die do not and such

its acutaly a fun way to play the game cus we did this on my homestie and it worked quite well
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:07 am

Post by wgeurts »

"Don't lynch the cop, we'll forever regret it!"
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 0, Radja wrote:I was thinking about something that could be pretty cool a while ago and thought I would put this here for people to give their opinions on and give suggestions.

I'm thinking about designing an entire village of fictional people. This village would serve as the background of multiple mafia games.
Every person in this village is made public: name, alignment and role.

From all these people, I would then pick out a number of people and gather them in a mafia game. Nobody knows which people of this village are in the game.
Once a game finishes, the people who were killed are removed from the village and new people move in the village.
This could go on for a long time.

Anyway, you get the picture. Any thoughts on a game series like this?

There have been a couple of "serial" games run on the site. I think I was even designing one with Drench one time that was set on an alien planet? The Gay Mafia games that UT & I run have similar "consistency" running throughout them. Mr. Flay ran the War in Heaven series, too, that featured consistent storytelling. I'm not sure anything has been done on such a mundane level, though.
green shirt thursdays
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 11, wgeurts wrote:"Don't lynch the cop, we'll forever regret it!"

"FFS lynch the vig D1"
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:45 am

Post by pablito »

While I think a few lynches may be affected by "legacy survival" in that certain roles or players are more highly desired and choices are based off of that, but I think in the end, most of the games will operate as a regular game. Some players may be more hesitant or intentionally act more scummy for survival purposes though, which will either balance things out or make things more frustrating. It brings up interesting questions to make it worth a try, but I'm unsure how long the novelty will last. Nightless games might work better for the situation to avoid the whole "act scummy to not get nightkilled" strategy.
Sup, later.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”