Lets talk a bout sheeping.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:53 am

Post by BROseidon »

Sheeping is a form of compromise! You're just compromising to a target you feel neutral about instead of one you feel is scummy, but not the scummiest!

Unless you sheep people and wagon your town reads, in which case wtf.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:59 am

Post by chamber »

I don't generally develop town reads.
Taking a break from the site.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:11 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 26, chamber wrote:I don't generally develop town reads.

That's kind of just a labeling/philosophical distinction.
St Constantine the Hermit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Post by St Constantine the Hermit »

^ Yep, agreed

Sheeping usually happens when people are apathetic, and only have the energy to put their vote on whatever wagon currently has traction. Obviously this is going to result in really rushed decisions. In games with lots of apathetic players who have just decided to sheep, scum can rack up mislynch after mislynch. It also promotes an enviornment where you shouldn't even waste your time trying to explain to these apathetic people why they should listen to you, which in turn makes you look apathetic as well.
Show
Aye, let old constantine spin ye a tale...

Book of Constantine (Protestant) 214: 112 - God hates you
Book of Constantine (Catholic) 214:112 - God doesn't like you
Book of Constantine (Orthodox) 214:112 - God tolerates you
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Oh, ignore that arrow. I forget that the last post isn't always the last one that I am reading.
Show

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Post by LicketyQuickety »

I need some context SCH. What post were you reading?
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

there's probably not enough sheeping in games - lack of sheeping leads to 7-8 vanity wagons before the standard "oh shit, guys, deadline is approaching, let's decide on a lynch"
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Post by N »

about is one word
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 3, Plotinus wrote:it's kind of like being an innocent child or a mason

being in a confirmed town position isn't a bad thing - use it to your advantage and be the most annoying player in the game. poke everyone about everything they've ever said or done, from their current stances to their initial reads to their deepest, darkest secrets that they've never told anyone about

it's different if people are just not giving any useful information, but if you can't form reads because people aren't reading you specifically then i dunno - maybe you need to rethink how you scum hunt
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:22 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 0, LicketyQuickety wrote:Simply put, for players who are by and large, both articulate and have consistently good reads I have a suggestion on how to pressure them. Encourage and follow their reads. Eventually if everyone follows the people who are most likely to have the best reads and they are wrong too many time, you lynch them. I admit this has more practical value for large games. So it could play out like this: Day 1 everyone plays like they would normally play following their own reads and voting for their prefered lynch. Day Two adopt a follow the leader approach where the leader is by and large the errr... leader. The leader dictates who gets pressure, what players should be scrutinized and ultimately, when enough discussion has transpired, who to lynch that day. If the read was good and the player who was lynched is Scum, then you leave it up to that same player to play the leader role once again on day 3. If the leaders resulting actions lead to a miss-lynch, there is a new leader who is chosen who has statistically had good reads and got the correct read on the miss-lynched player. If the day Two leader sheeps the Day 3 leader and there is another miss-lynch then you lynch the day 2 leader. This process continues until the game is over. Thoughts?

I don't understand why sheeping is traditionally a weak play. Can someone explain this please?

This is all so much easier than actually thinking!

It's fine to follow a 'leader' if your own legwork leads you to also suspect the player they are after, but following a leader because they ought to be right more often than not is just lazy.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:52 pm

In post 34, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 0, LicketyQuickety wrote:Simply put, for players who are by and large, both articulate and have consistently good reads I have a suggestion on how to pressure them. Encourage and follow their reads. Eventually if everyone follows the people who are most likely to have the best reads and they are wrong too many time, you lynch them. I admit this has more practical value for large games. So it could play out like this: Day 1 everyone plays like they would normally play following their own reads and voting for their prefered lynch. Day Two adopt a follow the leader approach where the leader is by and large the errr... leader. The leader dictates who gets pressure, what players should be scrutinized and ultimately, when enough discussion has transpired, who to lynch that day. If the read was good and the player who was lynched is Scum, then you leave it up to that same player to play the leader role once again on day 3. If the leaders resulting actions lead to a miss-lynch, there is a new leader who is chosen who has statistically had good reads and got the correct read on the miss-lynched player. If the day Two leader sheeps the Day 3 leader and there is another miss-lynch then you lynch the day 2 leader. This process continues until the game is over. Thoughts?

I don't understand why sheeping is traditionally a weak play. Can someone explain this please?

This is all so much easier than actually thinking!

It's fine to follow a 'leader' if your own legwork leads you to also suspect the player they are after, but following a leader because they ought to be right more often than not is just lazy.

With all do respect, it doesn't matter at all whether it is lazy or not. All that matters is if it works or not, because that is the bottom line.

talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:05 am

Post by talah »

I'll sheep day 2 or 3 if my reads are off.

Day 1 and/or 2 I'll follow my own gut and reads and push them. If they're right they'll consolidate and I'll expect sheepage or reasons not to.

Thing is I don't see sheeping as a bad play at all and it depends on the plays in the game as to whether it'll be considered as such. If you have a few people sheeping just because 'sheeping' it still gives info and backing for a lynch. If you have people criticising free play like sheeping just for what it is it can be harder to -sort of be liquid?- come to consensus.

Quick field note - it can be frustrating when sheeping isn't presented as such.. because folks can agree, not say they're sheeping explicitly, provide no reasons... and then, welp my scumhuntey senses kick in.

But yeah sheeping is essentially pro-town.

I'd like to hear the other side, about how sheeping is leveraged by scumbos.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:06 am

Post by Taly »

VOTE: LicketyQuickety

Come sheep me, talah.
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:22 am

I'm not running for election. Thanks tho!

Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:18 am

@Talah

If you are going to sheep, do it day one, come on man!
Show

Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:59 am

Post by Shadoweh »

In post 33, zMuffinMan wrote:being in a confirmed town position isn't a bad thing - use it to your advantage and be the most annoying player in the game. poke everyone about everything they've ever said or done, from their current stances to their initial reads to their deepest, darkest secrets that they've never told anyone about

:mad: Talking to confirmed town (or close enough) is annoying for me because there's no point in interacting with one from the other side's perspective. You don't need to develop your read on them. It's like go away, talking to you does not help me at all.

Sheeping especially Day 1 is super important. Like Muffin said no one knows how to compromise until there's a panic at the last minute, it seems. I can't remember the last time I was in a game that Day 1 ended before a day before deadline because we Have To Use All Our Time Wisely.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:20 am

Post by Ankamius »

I see that there are quite a few opinions on either side of this debate, but I am not actually sure whether we're classifying the term as the same thing universally or not.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:35 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 40, Shadoweh wrote:I can't remember the last time I was in a game that Day 1 ended before a day before deadline because we Have To Use All Our Time Wisely.

It didn't even happen in NY165, I don't think.

And that day 1 was trolly as shit.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Post by talah »

In post 37, Taly wrote:VOTE: LicketyQuickety

Come sheep me, talah.

Definitely sheepable. Presented as a sheep, no reasons given, provides information due to reactions *to* the sheep.

VOTE: LicketyQuickety

In post 39, St Constantine the Hermit wrote:@Talah

If you are going to sheep, do it day one, come on man!

RVS - No probs dude unless I have a better lead myself.
Day 1 for a lynch? No probably not and I'd give reasons for the townread on the player I was sheeping if it happened to be the best option.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:01 pm

Post by talah »

In post 38, LicketyQuickety wrote:I'm not running for election. Thanks tho!

Oh man this is scummy as fuck.

Fluff post, not addressing the vote from Taly but making light of it instead and not asking why the vote was made in the first place to further scumhunting.

Happy with my vote on Lickety.

Spoiler:
<3 :P

Return to “Mafia Discussion”