Scumslips

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Scumslips

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:09 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

Have you ever been lynched because of a
genuine
scumslip? And how often have you been lynched for a supposed "scumslip" (while being town)?

Do you think that hunting for scumslips is a viable scumhunting tool?
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:59 am

Post by Wisdom »

Dunno if that counts, but I lynched town-Mac for a "scumslip" here.

No, it's not viable, as like I did above, in your enthusiasm to find scum, you might mistake weird wording or whatever else for scumslips. Well, I suppose there are some blatant genuine scumslips you can bank right away, but other than that, nah.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:06 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 1, Wisdom wrote:Dunno if that counts, but I lynched town-Mac for a "scumslip" here.
Yeah. Perfect example. I can understand that it was hard to resist the temptation of lynching him. It just
seems
so obvious, but in reality you're chasing imaginary crumbs. This is why I question the viability of "scumslips".

No, it's not viable, as like I did above, in your enthusiasm to find scum, you might mistake weird wording or whatever else for scumslips. Well, I suppose there are some blatant genuine scumslips you can bank right away, but other than that, nah.
Yes, I was even wondering whether anyone ever had any success with it.
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:48 am

Post by Ankamius »

I've been caught on an imaginary scumflip. I couldn't argue my way past it since it was from something I said at the end of day that resulted in me being role blocked as lone scum.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:18 am

Post by Fenchurch »

This thread will probably give some examples of scum actually being caught by scumslips:

Funniest scumslips

As for townies getting lynched for presumed scumslips, yes that definitely happens. I'm not sure that it happens enough to deem 'scumslips' not viable, or at least, any less viable than any other tool that people use to try and lynch scum.

That said, it's always fun to quote Patrick during Team Mafia...
Skype log 18 wrote:[30/04/2015 18:53:11] Patrick Gower: slips are always wrong
[30/04/2015 18:53:22] Patrick Gower: if i ever attack someone for a slip, remind me that slips are always wrong
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:40 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

So far I have seen one real slip in that thread, and that slip was based on someone contradicting themselves after having explicitly lied about their role and their night actions. :/

Edit: Okay, two.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Post by Davsto »

Genuine scumslip here, and a beautiful one at that.

In post 445, Shady wrote:
nominate Joey Tribbiani/notscience for Kodak Moment in Secret Alt Mafia 2

he replaces in, having typed up a long catch-up post in the scum QT overnight, and posts it, immediately outing himself as scum because the hyperlinks all link back to the quicktopic instead of the game topic
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Post by saulres »

In post 5, AlwaysInnocent wrote:So far I have seen one real slip in that thread, and that slip was based on someone contradicting themselves after having explicitly lied about their role and their night actions. :/

Does that count? If so, I found one here that nailed me the scumteam. It's in the bottom half of the linked post, starting with "Why? Because"
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Post by TheWayItEnds »

As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

this has been a topic covered before and I know I have mentioned this before but I still get a chuckle out of it every time.

but I once asked my scummate if he had any completed scumgames and he basically said, "no only this 1 which I am still in".
whew!
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 7, saulres wrote:
In post 5, AlwaysInnocent wrote:So far I have seen one real slip in that thread, and that slip was based on someone contradicting themselves after having explicitly lied about their role and their night actions. :/

Does that count? If so, I found one here that nailed me the scumteam. It's in the bottom half of the linked post, starting with "Why? Because"
It's a bit hard to follow without the context.

My God. :facepalm:
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:13 pm

Post by saulres »

In post 10, AlwaysInnocent wrote:

Oh right. here's the first part of it. The player in question claimed to be a jailkeeper, and then, twice during the game, changed who they claimed to have blocked night 1 -- in that post, he claimed protecting someone who flipped town and someone who was still in the game, and then in the other link, he claimed to block the other scum, but failed to remember that the other slot was replaced, so he just used the person currently in the slot at that time, even though he used the person who had been in the slot earlier, earlier in the game.

I hope that makes sense.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Hello RadiantCowbells. Or at least someone with a horrifically similar town ego.

Oh, hello.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 11, saulres wrote:
In post 10, AlwaysInnocent wrote:

Oh right. here's the first part of it. The player in question claimed to be a jailkeeper, and then, twice during the game, changed who they claimed to have blocked night 1 -- in that post, he claimed protecting someone who flipped town and someone who was still in the game, and then in the other link, he claimed to block the other scum, but failed to remember that the other slot was replaced, so he just used the person currently in the slot at that time, even though he used the person who had been in the slot earlier, earlier in the game.

I hope that makes sense.
Ah, yes. Foolish. But it seems to me that these events are very rare, since it is so easy to avoid.
Just keep track of your lies! Use a pen and paper if necessary.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:25 am

Post by Taly »

In post 6, Davsto wrote:Genuine scumslip here, and a beautiful one at that.

In post 445, Shady wrote:
nominate Joey Tribbiani/notscience for Kodak Moment in Secret Alt Mafia 2

he replaces in, having typed up a long catch-up post in the scum QT overnight, and posts it, immediately outing himself as scum because the hyperlinks all link back to the quicktopic instead of the game topic

lmfao I would tear that shit apart if I were town or scum.
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:53 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Scumslips like saying "we" when referring to scum or saying that someone is town instead of "probably town" are trash and should be ignored.

But sure, scum can slip by revealing secret info or whatever. Abarat Mafia had one where Mina had a role with details known only to her and the scum. She partially claimed her role and Faraday revealed he knew the full role while talking about it.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:13 am

Post by Davsto »

"True" scumslipping is generally scum revealing info they should not know.

Sometimes it can happen minorly, for example in my game Super Smash Bros. Project M(afia), my partner did a minor scumslip by saying that I had "commuted" during the day; while the role was known as Commuter, my disappearance was described only as "Davsto has been removed from the game".

Sometimes it can happen majorly, such as scum linking to their PT (see above).
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 0, AlwaysInnocent wrote:Have you ever been lynched because of a
genuine
scumslip? And how often have you been lynched for a supposed "scumslip" (while being town)?

Do you think that hunting for scumslips is a viable scumhunting tool?

Well, every tool has its uses. In my personal opinion, you must look at all the evidence: meta, VCA, NKA, Scumslips, PRs, posts, etc. You have to add it all up and finally arrive at a conclusion; if you only target one specific area, then you really restrict yourself.

That's my personal opinion, although that might change as I play more.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Post by talah »

You guys did see the classic scumslip of all time?

It was Yates in NY172 - he was using his cut thumb as an excuse for not being able to post a lot of content and ended up posting a screenshot of our thread, and the Mafia QT in separate tabs.
I guess it's a site meme now.

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p5826601

Unfortunately I think he got sitebanned for lying to the mod team about either this or other stuff which is a shame because he seemed like a decent dude.
Actually I thought he deleted this image as a part of that but it's there apparently so that's a turn-up.

Scum were really angry that Yates got modkilled over this - but this is despite the fact that at least a couple of living townies queried the mod privately about the legitimacy of using this as material to make a case on him.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

It seems like modkilling him in that situation is a horrible idea, since it removes the town's need to even lynch him, which seems like the natural progression of that slip.

Not to mention the tab itself gives no evidence to what game the topic was a link to, or that it was even to an ongoing game.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:16 pm

Post by kuribo »

I still kick myself in the ass when I remember GreyICE accidentally posting to the main thread in Polite Mafia instead of the Scum QT.... and not a single townie realizing it
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:18 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 19, Zachrulez wrote:It seems like modkilling him in that situation is a horrible idea, since it removes the town's need to even lynch him, which seems like the natural progression of that slip.

Not to mention the tab itself gives no evidence to what game the topic was a link to, or that it was even to an ongoing game.

Yeah, I agree "Mafia secret QT" doesn't even refer to the game name or anything. It could have been some other game, or a game he was modding, or a game that he was looking over from the past.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Post by TheWayItEnds »

Tierce wrote:
In post 3297, Nero Cain wrote:I suggested a Yates force replace 'cause a modkill p much fucked the scumteam over but Yates couldn't talk about his slip
If a slot is compromised, it's compromised regardless of who holds it.

Yates slipped about a scum QuickTopic in his picture, yes. For the sake of the integrity of other games, we were considering a modkill in the game that involved that QuickTopic (this game) and that game alone. Yates asked me to delete the image, I denied him as other people had already seen it, it was public information, and we were investigating the issue; Yates followed this up by messaging Plessiez to ask him to delete the image, and did so while attempting to deceive Plessiez about his motivations.

As was mentioned elsewhere, we expect honesty from players and moderators when dealing with the site staff and each other, and attempting to remove evidence of a game event through deceitful methods and going behind a list moderator's back are not acceptable behaviors.
As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Post by talah »

talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Post by talah »

In post 21, kuribo wrote:
In post 19, Zachrulez wrote:It seems like modkilling him in that situation is a horrible idea, since it removes the town's need to even lynch him, which seems like the natural progression of that slip.

Yeah, I agree "Mafia secret QT" doesn't even refer to the game name or anything. It could have been some other game, or a game he was modding, or a game that he was looking over from the past.

There *wasn't* any implication aside from the fact the folks who spotted it would all be discussing information which was outside of the thread.
For example, the only defence that could be proposed was "it was a scum PT for another, different, ongoing thread"

Return to “Mafia Discussion”