Mafia Traitor is a liability

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 4:38 am

Post by callforjudgement »

That role isn't really Traitor. It's a highly bastard third party role which should have a different name. (It can theoretically be balanced by making it a Town Survivor, i.e. has to survive
and
town has to win, who has to win without giving away their identity and thus being NKed, but even if it's balanced like that it's still highly bastard.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 5:43 am

Post by kuribo »

Anytime you have to place mod-ordained limits on what a player can and can't say, you've already got a bad role on your hands.

Like, if you have to say "You're not allowed to claim," or something similar, you should re-evaluate the mechanics of the role.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue May 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Post by Elbirn »

This thread confuses me because the one time I've played with a traitor, nk'ing them meant they were recruited to the mafia private thread instead of them dying.

Not having a nk isn't good, but it's loads better than a dead team mate. And having an additional team mate in the first place is wtf awesome
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2016 12:31 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

There are several versions of Traitor. Sometimes they can be killed, sometimes not.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2016 2:02 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 25, callforjudgement wrote:That role isn't really Traitor. It's a highly bastard third party role which should have a different name. (It can theoretically be balanced by making it a Town Survivor, i.e. has to survive
and
town has to win, who has to win without giving away their identity and thus being NKed, but even if it's balanced like that it's still highly bastard.)
I'm just going to leave this here to let people know this actually happened.

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=15655

(Still bastard.)
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2016 7:09 pm

In post 29, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 25, callforjudgement wrote:That role isn't really Traitor. It's a highly bastard third party role which should have a different name. (It can theoretically be balanced by making it a Town Survivor, i.e. has to survive
and
I'm just going to leave this here to let people know this actually happened.

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=15655

(Still bastard.)
Oh right, I misread the posts earlier.
I was thinking of a town role who knows the scum, but the scum think they're town. That's bastard.
Reading back, I see that we're discussing a town role who knows the scum, and the scum think they're scum. That's even more bastard.
Both are theoretically balanceable via the scum being able to kill them if they deduce the existence of the role. But just because a bastard role is balanceable doesn't mean it's anywhere near a good idea.

(Also, just because the role is theoretically balanceable doesn't mean it was balanced in that setup. In retrospect, the clues were there, but seeing the second version took me by surprise as I was expecting the first, and missed the clues until I looked back for them. Also, there's no way anyone would sanely no-lynch in the stated version of that setup; given that it was apparently balanced expecting no-lynches, I'm not surprised town won.)
scum
town
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue May 17, 2016 5:02 am

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

I think Traitor is fine as a concept, it's just often very poorly executed.

My personal favorite variant I've seen was in an Open and had these rules:
-Knows the scumteam, is not known by the Scumteam
-May be killed by the scumteam
-Returns town on investigation
-Does not count for parity (i.e. Town wins if it's the last Scum alive, and the game does not end automatically in a 2-1-1 endgame)
-Investigates and is returned a result of Cop/Not Cop.

It has a lot of neat effects on how the game progresses, IMO.
-It turns the whole Cop-clear dynamic away from being the typical brain dead fare, because Cops get an inno on it.
-It prevents Town from auto-lynching any Cop hit, because the hit then claims cop and says the Cop is the Traitor.
-It also prevents roles that could self-clear by claiming from doing so, as it can then CC them to hopefully force a ML.
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu May 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Post by Accountant »

Best variant of Mafia Traitor.

- Knows the scumteam, participates in the scum PT, helps select NKs and so on
- Is known by the scumteam, appears to be a regular scum member
- Scumteam knows there's a traitor
- Immune to night kills
- Counts for parity
- Investigates as a regular scum member
- Wins by helping the scum win

If the traitor is still alive when the scumteam fulfill their win conditions, it automatically kills every surviving mafia member and wins alone, SK style. It makes bussing and associations so much more fun and engaging. The traitor has a lot of advantages, but he has to hide his true self from not one but two groups.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2016 1:16 am

Hmm, that's like a scum version of Antisocial Survivor (basically a Survivor for which if they win, everyone else loses, and their presence is announced at the start of the game).

That said, can they win via dying and having the rest of the scumteam eliminate the town? If so, then they're basically a Mafia member who sometimes randomly swindles the rest of the scum out of a win, but can avoid this happening via volunteering to be bussed.
scum
town
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2016 1:21 am

Post by Accountant »

Oh, yeah, they have to survive to win.

I have a friend who played a modified version of this, with a wolf theme. The mafia were the wolves and the traitor was called the Werewolf.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2016 3:18 am

Post by Ether »

This isn't a good role. The mafia knows whether they still have a mole or not, so what happens if you're non-mole scum in LyLo and the tide is turning against a townie? Sitting back and letting it happen is an autoloss; if there are three or more left, then even claiming scum would be better than doing nothing. One way or another, this role just guarantees that the mafia selfdestructs somewhere down the line.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2016 3:27 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

That role sounds more like a super-Usurper than a Traitor, and as scum I'd be pretty pissed if I lost because of such a role, even in a bastard game.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2016 6:13 am

Post by PokerFace »

Maifa Traitor is better than having nothing. Goon is better than Mafia Traitor

Mafia Traitor is annoying in that mafia has to think about who not to kill, find who is friendly. Finding who is friendly is the town's job! So traitors are annoying in that they require more work pre-endgame. At end game they require far less work since scum can win the game 1 day sooner than it would take if they had no extra member.

Mafia Usurper, scum's that know who is scum and must bus the GF or all of their buddies so they are last scum, are more annoying since they lower your numbers intentionally. They are incredibly bastard if their victory causes the other members of the scum team to lose and or if the rest of the scum team does not know a Usurper exists

Both these roles are bad and I hate playing with them outside bastard games
Last edited by PokerFace on Fri May 20, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2016 6:24 am

Post by Postie »

In post 8, Kagami wrote:There's no instance in which a scumteam has to worry about killing their traitor unless they're bad.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”