Ethics of Mafia affecting real life

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Ethics of Mafia affecting real life

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Post by BNL »

So one problem with playing Mafia is that your playing quality heavily depends on your availability on playing. Clearly, being on more often is an advantage compared to being on less often. And also, there are some critical periods where being online is more important than at other times, such as near deadline or when you are about to get lynched.

So my question is, to what extent should playing forum Mafia affect your daily life? Let's say during one of those 'critical periods', you are at school or at work or at some place you shouldn't be on MafiaScum, should you try to chalk up the time for access anyway? It's morally wrong to do so, but at the same time, I feel guilty about it as it's not playing to your win condition. (which is a site rule, right?)

It's really hard to draw the line between Mafia affecting your life and not playing to win condition. How should I draw this line?
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:02 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

Do what you can when available, and just let people know you're generally not available during certain times (best if you say it when joining the game so obviously not a scum lie). If you can catch a break, great, but don't feel like you have to put off rl stuff for the game. The good thing about MS games is the longer deadline gives you more of a buffer zone to get out final thoughts for the deadline. I know sometimes deadlines can get really active in the last few minutes, but generally you'll be fine if you can post and get out your last thoughts even within a few hours (maybe about 6) of the deadline. If you get as much done as you can while you're available, that's the important thing. Also, if you're about to be lynched, people are going to wait for your claim and last thoughts anyway. Assuming there's still time left in the Day, if you see you're about to be lynched but don't have time to say anything right then, tell the others a specific time within the next 24 hours that you will have time to say everything you need to say. Giving a specific time range that you can be held accountable for is better than saying "I don't have time for final thoughts right now, I'll do it later" without giving specifics because it looks scummy (like you're stalling for time).
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:20 am

Post by mastina »

As someone who quite literally destroyed her life in part because of playing mafia.

Good fucking god, don't destroy your life because of mafia

Sick? Rest! Mafiascum has made illnesses of mine worse. Hungry? Eat! I've literally gone over 24 hours without doing so directly because of mafiascum. Thirsty? Drink! Same thing. Tired? For god's sake, whatever game you're working on ISN'T WORTH IT. I don't even care if the game's in lylo and by the time you wake up the deadline timer will pass. Cast a vote and get your damn sleep, face the hate of the late decision the following day. And if the game's not in lylo near deadline? I don't care what the circumstances are, there's NO time or place that is worth giving
that
much time.

Speaking of giving time: just because you have the time to, doesn't mean you should give it all to mafia. If you have 16 hours free in your day...you should NOT be playing mafia for 16 straight hours in that day. It's not healthy. It's stressful on you physically, mentally, and emotionally. So don't do it at all.

Real Life > Mafia. Period.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:14 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 0, BNL wrote:but at the same time, I feel guilty about it as it's not playing to your win condition. (which is a site rule, right?)
The point of the rule is to discourage you from posting things that are anti-wincon (such as claiming scum and who your buddies are as scum). It's not to encourage you to be constantly online at the cost of you harming your life. Mafia is still a game, play it when you have free time.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:45 am

Post by Vampirate »

I've found that going out for a walk helps when i'm overly stressed about the game.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:11 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 4, Vampirate wrote:I've found that going out for a walk helps when i'm overly stressed about the game.
^ this
whew!
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:26 am

Post by Ranmaru »

Mafia is a time sink. Either it A) Distracts me away from real life and makes it worse or B) I am distracted by real life and makes my mafia play worse. B never happens but I saw that happen to someone recently and it makes sense. Either way, Mafia takes a while to sort out, and it depends on your alignment too. If you are town you might have the chance to get nk'd. As Mafia you have to stay alive until endgame. I'm taking a break now. I'm using it to sleep.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:59 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I fucked up my school work because of this
It's why I had to leave for a week: to get my school work back on track
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Tere
Tere
Mafia Scum
Tere
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Post by Tere »

In post 7, Gamma Emerald wrote:I fucked up my school work because of this
It's why I had to leave for a week: to get my school work back on track
OK please don't do that, mafia will be there for you later. Really. Don't screw up school because of it.

I really struggle with RL issues playing and have a hard V/LA at weekends which gets me scumread way more than I should (which is annoying as both alignments if I am honest because it seems to be saying everyone has to conform to phone posting standards).

The way I am trying to scratch my itch is by spectating and also moving forward I am intending to be in only one game at a time and not until the new year because personal stuff.

Don't overcommit, play well is a decent mantra to live by, even if I don't always get there! :)
Mostly V/LA at weekends. GTKAS - Tere
I am also really too busy to play mafia to the quality level I prefer. I should spectate. If you see me in more than one game tell me off! Also invite me to cool games to spectate. I will bring cupcakes! <3
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:42 pm

Post by Human Sequencer »

You can't do anything well if you're not in a positive mindset, and to create that positive mindset you need to balance your lifestyle and take care of yourself.

Seems obvious when you hear it, isn't obvious when you think about it.
nah
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:20 am

Post by Psyche »