False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Post by mastina »

Going back to camn's revenge, by the way...
Nominate TheRealGin-N-Tonic for Rising Star
. Honestly, I thought this had been done already and was flabbergasted when I learned I was the first to do so. For those not in the know, this is why Gin's going to win it this year:
TheRealGin-N-Tonic is a player who shows incredible promise both as town and as scum. As scum, Gin is reasonable and charismatic, friendly, likable, and someone who is ridiculously hard to lynch--Gin influences towns, and can manipulate them marvelously. And yet, while Gin has begun to show this rise to greatness, Gin still has room to grow, and best of all, an active interest in doing exactly that: Gin recognizes the flaws in their play, and is actively working to correct them and become better.

Similarly, I have seen TheRealGin-N-Tonic's townplay grow EXPONENTIALLY. In particular, at the beginning of camn's revenge, I felt that TheRealGin-N-Tonic was scum, or if Gin was town (which was the case), Gin was lynchbait--and so did everyone else.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, everything changed. Gin became obvtown immediately to literally the whole game thread. Gin went from a mislynch candidate to being one of the core members of the townbloc, and this was even prior to that game's famous jam session. Gin showed remarkable analysis and a great capability to lead towns there, while making their alignment known: the town triple-threat of obvtown, good reads, and good charisma that you'd look for in a town player.

This is not unique to that game. In Mini Normal 1873, Gin had the scumteam basically pegged at several points, using good logic, and was pressing in all the right areas. While Gin ultimately second-guessed (something we all do) and lost thanks to that paranoia, the simple fact is Gin used their given role in the best possible way it could be used, and after expending Gin's role, was on the money with the implications.

Though Gin has lost games as town, and Gin still will lynch town even when being town, TheRealGin-N-Tonic, every single town game, is open to feedback: Gin
wants
to learn what Gin did well and where Gin fucked up. And Gin actually applies those lessons. Gin listens to what others tell them, and continues to improve, each game getting better than the last.

While I give a link to camn's revenge, I could link to almost any game contemporary to this or taking place after this and show the evidence of this growth. I firmly believe no player is more worthy of this reward than TheRealGin-N-Tonic is.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Post by Pine »

Damn you, I was going to do that later on in the year.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Post by mastina »

You still can!
Just because I have an early eye for talent doesn't mean you can't support the nomination when said talent has blossomed and grown. :P
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Post by Pine »

I have my eye on two rising stars, maybe three. Gin is one of them.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:18 am

Post by ThinkBig »

I would like to nominate PranaDevil for most cunning manipulator for his fantastic performance in Mini Normal 1873. He was able to be universally town read and really did a great job carrying his team to victory. Even though Titus came in with a VCA and implicated him, he was able to spread enough paranoia to eek out a win, even after the scum team was outed! He definitely deserves an award for that.
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:18 am

Post by ThinkBig »

In post 51, mastina wrote:Going back to camn's revenge, by the way...
Nominate TheRealGin-N-Tonic for Rising Star
. Honestly, I thought this had been done already and was flabbergasted when I learned I was the first to do so. For those not in the know, this is why Gin's going to win it this year:
TheRealGin-N-Tonic is a player who shows incredible promise both as town and as scum. As scum, Gin is reasonable and charismatic, friendly, likable, and someone who is ridiculously hard to lynch--Gin influences towns, and can manipulate them marvelously. And yet, while Gin has begun to show this rise to greatness, Gin still has room to grow, and best of all, an active interest in doing exactly that: Gin recognizes the flaws in their play, and is actively working to correct them and become better.

Similarly, I have seen TheRealGin-N-Tonic's townplay grow EXPONENTIALLY. In particular, at the beginning of camn's revenge, I felt that TheRealGin-N-Tonic was scum, or if Gin was town (which was the case), Gin was lynchbait--and so did everyone else.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, everything changed. Gin became obvtown immediately to literally the whole game thread. Gin went from a mislynch candidate to being one of the core members of the townbloc, and this was even prior to that game's famous jam session. Gin showed remarkable analysis and a great capability to lead towns there, while making their alignment known: the town triple-threat of obvtown, good reads, and good charisma that you'd look for in a town player.

This is not unique to that game. In Mini Normal 1873, Gin had the scumteam basically pegged at several points, using good logic, and was pressing in all the right areas. While Gin ultimately second-guessed (something we all do) and lost thanks to that paranoia, the simple fact is Gin used their given role in the best possible way it could be used, and after expending Gin's role, was on the money with the implications.

Though Gin has lost games as town, and Gin still will lynch town even when being town, TheRealGin-N-Tonic, every single town game, is open to feedback: Gin
wants
to learn what Gin did well and where Gin fucked up. And Gin actually applies those lessons. Gin listens to what others tell them, and continues to improve, each game getting better than the last.

While I give a link to camn's revenge, I could link to almost any game contemporary to this or taking place after this and show the evidence of this growth. I firmly believe no player is more worthy of this reward than TheRealGin-N-Tonic is.
I second this nomination! I hope Gin sticks around. He is going to be a force to reckon with one day.
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 31, Transcend wrote:Vouch for moi
Okay, I vouch for you!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:25 pm

Post by McMenno »

I don't vouch for aristophanes. he's not to be trusted
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:52 pm

Post by Alisae »

Hey! I think Ari is a perfectly trustable person -_-
GTKAS
| here.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Nominating Varsoon for Best New Mechanic for his 'Stress' mechanic in Steven Universe Mafia 2.

For those unaware, the 'Stress' mechanic featured a meter that could go from high stress to low stress. When scum was doing well, the stress would be high, allowing town to gain access to abilities gated behind high stress requirements--but the opposite was also true! With many strong abilities also affecting stress, both teams had to critically think about how they would approach the game in terms of tipping the balance of power.

Flavor-wise, this mechanic was borne from the show's own ebb and flow of episodes that often go from very comfortable moments to incredibly dramatic scenes--that feeling of letting one's guard down and being surprised by a climactic twist was something that was replicated very well here, especially due to flavor writing tied to many of the stress-dependent abilities, called 'Events.'

The 'Stress' mechanic provides for a tangible visualization of how the game is going for either side. What makes it work so well as a new mechanic is that it mitigates one of the largest issues with role-madness (and large) setups--swing. By only allowing players to use powerful abilities when the game is going poorly for them, town and scum power comes into play in a natural tug of war that doesn't snowball out of control. Just being able to, at a glance of the votecount, understand how the game is going for your faction and what's likely to be around the corner, informs a much more involved gamestate with all players.

While its implementation in Steven Universe II may not have been the most successful rendition possible, I am self-nominating because I genuinely believe that this may be the most effective way to mitigate swing in setups that would otherwise be very heavy with it. Some tweaking should be done in order to make sure that your numbers line up and that pro-town powers always lower stress while pro-scum powers raise it--finding the right balance of how much stress any given ability should require and add/subtract is a numbers game that, if perfected, could provide for a very role-heavy, engaged, mechanically diverse setup while mitigating swing entirely.

Moving forward, I think that more moderators, especially ones who care about balance and swing in their games, should consider mechanics like this one, as it provides an innovative building block from which a very functional and fun mafia game can be built. This sort of mechanic is so fundamentally game-changing that it deserves recognition and emulation that I don't believe it will get otherwise. In short, I really feel like I've come up with something that could be considered a core part of theme games, as integral to their design as anything else.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Post by zoraster »

you're nominating yourself? pretty bad form. also, will be disregarded for the purposes of the scummies. If you think it's a good idea, start an MD thread on it. Don't engage in self-congratulatory nominations to push it. I don't think it'll be very effective anyway.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Post by Varsoon »

I understand that 100%, self-noms are never taken seriously.
This is mostly a joke but also because I want to create a modicum of awareness for a mechanic that I designed that I want to see featured in other games.

Think of it this way:
Imagine you are the first person to come up with sliced bread. Everyone else just pulls apart their loaves. This discovery of yours could fundamentally change how people engage with bread. Are you gonna just sit around and hope other people recognize how great your sandwiches are, or do you go out there and promote it?

On the realer-real, I also don't want
my
iteration of this mechanic to win a Scummy. I want someone else to take this mechanic and implement it perfectly and for their implementation to be incredibly well received.
So, that's my challenge, you loser mods. I'm intentionally casting to the winds my chances at winning a scummy for what's easily the best mechanic ever thought of on this site so that you can steal it, perfect it, and take my title from me. Are you a bad enough dude to win the adoration of the masses and ingrain your name in Mafia history?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:12 pm

Post by zoraster »

Well I kinda return to my point: make a thread on it! The Scummies thread is a weird place to throw down that gauntlet!
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:14 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Well, I've got to officially self-nom regardless, or I run the risk of someone else nominating my unrefined version of the mechanic.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:14 pm

Post by Psyche »

heheh
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Fwiw, anti-swing mechanics can be tricky. Star Fox on MU had where there was a notable mechanical boost given to the scum team for every wolf lynch, and we won the game in substantial part due to bussing the right people at the right time (I say "we" as if I was anything other than a mid game sub who somehow managed to avoid dayvigs and lynches even tho I was close to outed most the time I was alive). It can be useful to try and reduce swing, but so it too much and you risk incentivizing play that would normally be anti wincon.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 62, Varsoon wrote:I understand that 100%, self-noms are never taken seriously.
This is mostly a joke but also because I want to create a modicum of awareness for a mechanic that I designed that I want to see featured in other games.

Think of it this way:
Imagine you are the first person to come up with sliced bread. Everyone else just pulls apart their loaves. This discovery of yours could fundamentally change how people engage with bread. Are you gonna just sit around and hope other people recognize how great your sandwiches are, or do you go out there and promote it?

On the realer-real, I also don't want
my
iteration of this mechanic to win a Scummy. I want someone else to take this mechanic and implement it perfectly and for their implementation to be incredibly well received.
So, that's my challenge, you loser mods. I'm intentionally casting to the winds my chances at winning a scummy for what's easily the best mechanic ever thought of on this site so that you can steal it, perfect it, and take my title from me. Are you a bad enough dude to win the adoration of the masses and ingrain your name in Mafia history?
Why not just make a thread discussing the mechanic?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 63, zoraster wrote:Well I kinda return to my point: make a thread on it! The Scummies thread is a weird place to throw down that gauntlet!
Why am I agreeing with everything you say lately.
So weird.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Post by Varsoon »

In post 64, Varsoon wrote:Well, I've got to officially self-nom regardless, or I run the risk of someone else nominating my unrefined version of the mechanic.
C'mon Firebringer, reading comprehension
In post 66, mhsmith0 wrote:Fwiw, anti-swing mechanics can be tricky. Star Fox on MU had where there was a notable mechanical boost given to the scum team for every wolf lynch, and we won the game in substantial part due to bussing the right people at the right time (I say "we" as if I was anything other than a mid game sub who somehow managed to avoid dayvigs and lynches even tho I was close to outed most the time I was alive). It can be useful to try and reduce swing, but so it too much and you risk incentivizing play that would normally be anti wincon.
Exactly why I say the fine-tuning is very important. I think that I had something close to what would work, but there were a few flaws in my iteration. Still--a visible meter, posted with every VC, that informs gamestate and gates powers is something I really believe in. For multiball, obviously, there are more considerations to take when it comes to that tuning.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:24 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I think if someone else nommed a mechanic that was just a refined version of yours, someone would point it out...
Show

Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Yeah, now I've kept that from happening and given other mods explicit capability to steal the mechanic, improve on it, and get mad recognition.
Or do I need to win Best New Mechanic for 3 years in a row?
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

2nd Varsoon
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:22 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

*intends to introduce new mechanics in theme games this upcoming year* - varsoon, I'm going to come up with a BETTER mechanics and not even have to share the limelight, okay?! :þ
balance among all things
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:48 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 68, Firebringer wrote:
In post 63, zoraster wrote:Well I kinda return to my point: make a thread on it! The Scummies thread is a weird place to throw down that gauntlet!
Why am I agreeing with everything you say lately.
So weird.

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”