Newbie 1378 - Game Over! (Town Wins)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1378 - Game Over! (Town Wins)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 7:17 am

Post by Jackal711 »

Welcome to Newbie 1378!

Player List:

The People Who Are Still Alive

1) Linxie
Crazzygoat*
Vanilla Townie
survives
5) enomis
Paradigm*
Vanilla Townie
survives

Bold
= Confirmed
* = Prod

Spoiler: The Ones Who Are Dead
6)
RadiantCowbells
(SE),
Town Doctor
, was lynched Day 1.
4)
Nul
Vanilla Townie
, was shot Night 1.
7)
JasonWazza
(SE),
Mafia Roleblocker
, was lynched Day 2.
2)
mattel*
Town Cop
, was shot Night 2.
3)
Lucky2u
Vanilla Townie
, was lynched Day 3.
8)
uctriton00
(SE),
Vanilla Townie
, was shot Night 3.
9)
mastin2
(IC),
Mafia Goon
, was lynched Day 4.

Modkilled:

2)
mattel*
Town Cop
turned
Neutral Survivor
modkilled Day 3 for violation of
Rule #9

The IC is here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by this wiki article.
Latest Vote Count wrote:
VOTE COUNT 4.Final

Linxie (0) -
enomis (1) - mastin2
mastin2 (2) - enomis, Linxie

Not Voting:

With 3 alive, it's 2 to lynch.

mastin2,
Mafia Goon
, has been lynched. Town wins!
Notable Events:
Game Starts, VC 1.0
Vote Count 1.1
Vote Count 1.2
Vote Count 1.3
Final VC of Day 1

Day 2 starts
Vote Count 2.1
Day 2 ends,
JasonWazza
was lynched.

Day 3 starts
Last edited by Jackal711 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:58 am, edited 16 times in total.
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 7:36 am

Post by Jackal711 »

Rules: (borrowed and modified from chkflip)

1. This game uses the Newbie Matrix6 setup, which is a semi-open setup.

2. To vote for a player, bold the word "vote" followed by said player's name, e.g.
Vote: Jackal711
. As long as I can tell to whom you are referring, spelling does not count and I will accept abbreviated or otherwise shortened forms of the name of the vote's recipient. If you change your mind about whom you want lynched, you must bold an unvote, preferably in the format
Unvote: Jackal711
. You may also Vote: No Lynch, and Unvote: No Lynch. Use of the vote and unvote tags is also allowed, and preferred.

3. A majority of votes is required for a lynch, even at deadline. Once a lynch has been decided, it is final and further votes and unvotes do not count for the current day. If deadline is reached with no player having enough votes for a lynch, the day ends in an automatic No Lynch.

4. Once you're lynched, nightkilled, or modkilled (a modkill ends the day ONLY if the modkilled player is pro-town), I'll allow one "bah" post that doesn't contain any game-related content if you wish to make it, but you must thereafter stop posting in the game. Said "bah" post is the only post a dead player may make during twilight. Living players may continue to talk during twilight as long as they follow all of the rules.

5. You are not forced to like each other, but the fact that you badly want so and so offed does not give you the right to insult him or her. Please keep your hatred of people or groups thereof to yourself unless you want a warning. Three warnings (or an offensive enough post) and you will be ejected from the game and replaced with someone else.

6. Do not hide text or otherwise hinder its readability by using spoiler tags, invisible text, etc. THIS INCLUDES ENCRYPTED TEXT! You may, however, post in any color that can be easily read against the forum background other than
blue
or
bolded blue
. This is my mod color. Violators will be warned. Doing it again will result in replacement.

7. Impersonating the moderator WILL NOT HAPPEN. Doing so, you will be replaced.

8. If you somehow have the ability to edit or delete your posts in this forum, please DO NOT do so. If I catch you doing such, you will be replaced or modkilled.

9. You are not allowed to discuss this game outside of the thread unless I tell you otherwise, and then only with whom I have allowed you to do so and at your specified time. Breaking this rule WILL result in a modkill.

10. Discussing an ongoing game in this game's thread gets you a warning the first time and a MODKILL the second time.

11. Do not quote or pretend to quote any private communication, either from me or from anyone else you are allowed to talk with at night. This includes your role PM. Violators will be modkilled. You are allowed to paraphrase, but you are not allowed to plagiarize. If in doubt as to your paraphrase's legality, PM me with the wording you want to use.

12. Claiming to be scum with someone else will result in a modkill.

13. I will issue a prod to any player that does not post for
hours without notifying me of his or her absence. If you are prodded, you will have
hours from the time of submission to post in thread. Failure to do so may result in replacement. I will only prod the same player twice. If a third prod is required, they will be replaced.

14. I am not God (or a Lawyer). I am only human and prone to making mistakes like any of us. If I do make a mistake please bring it to my attention either via PM or in thread. If addressing me in thread please do so in bold
@Mod: (message)

15. All rules are subject to change. If there are changes I will point them out in the next posted vote count.

16. All lynches and actions are considered to be done instantly. Obviously I can't be on all the time, so they will be posted as soon as possible. Night actions are considered to all happen at the same time. The principles of NAR (Natural Action Resolution) as discussed in the Wiki will apply in any conflict.

17. Deadlines will be 2 weeks for Days, and 48 hours for Night.

18. If anyone gets modkilled, they will turn into a Neutral Survivor for all purposes and will lose the game. Day will also end immediately if they were town-aligned.

19. The most important rule of all, saved for last for what I think is a very good reason: HAVE FUN! Enjoy! And good luck!
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 7:36 am

Post by Jackal711 »

Newbie Setup

Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles will be filled in by mafia goons and vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup. For example Row 1 (1 jailkeeper, 1 vanilla townie, 1 mafia goon) would add an additional 5 vanilla townies and 1 mafia goon, for a total setup of 1 jailkeeper, 6 vanilla townies, and 2 mafia goons.

*Roleblocker will take precedence over jailkeeper when resolving night actions should that apply.

Sample Role PMs:

Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2013 7:53 am

Post by Jackal711 »

Role PMs have been sent out. Game will begin when 7/9 have confirmed.
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 8:35 am

Post by Jackal711 »

With 7/9 confirmed, the game starts now!

VOTE COUNT 1.0

Crazzygoat (0) -
mattel (0) -
Lucky2u (0) -
Nul (0) -
Paradigm (0) -
RadiantCowbells (0) -
JasonWazza (0) -
uctriton00 (0) -
mastin2 (0) -

Not Voting: Everyone

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Day 1 deadline is Wednesday, June 5th at 12:45 pm PDT or in
(expired on 2013-06-05 12:45:00)
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 8:53 am

Post by mastin2 »

Hi, guys. Now, I'm just going to give you a warning upfront--as far as players on the site go, I'm a bit of an abnormality. :P Including my methods of teaching. Most ICs start the game with a big rambling posts about in general the fundamentals of the game. The way I figure it, though, is that most of you probably have a fair deal of mafia experience elsewhere, and any who somehow
don't
have mafia experience likely fall under the category of newbies who read the wiki, memorize its contents, and treat it like a bible. :P (There's typically at least one in your average newbie crop. Don't get me wrong, the wiki's still useful for a lot of things, but the site meta is ALWAYS evolving, so most stuff on there is dated. In fact, the very act of publishing some sort of strategy/tell helps influence the site to make said strategy/tell no longer work. Some stuff is timeless, other stuff not so much, and knowing which is which comes with time, experience, and some guidance from me.)

So instead of making some general post which you probably don't need, I'm instead going to ask all of you what your mafia experience is--where have you played? Describe what the play is like there. (Links are nice and all, but I'm an incredibly busy guy so I don't actually have the time to check them out--text descriptions are better, and the more detailed your description is, the better understanding I'll have of how to help you adapt to MS.net.)

As a warning, mafiascum.net is...different from most sites, significantly so. A fair number of sites have lynches on D1, but others (mainly, EpicMafia-inspired ones...and trust me, in your average crop of newbies, there's typically at least one EM or former-EM player :P) expect to no-lynch. (No lynches are considered, nine times out of ten, to be the worst possible case scenario on day one. Worse even than lynching a town PR to some, though this delves into MD theory.) And a lot of sites know about the concept of random voting D1, which is how most games on mafiascum start.

What many aren't prepared for is other things, like deadlines (see that deadline counter? That's two weeks. That's a typical day on a mafiascum game, and we use almost every minute of that time more often than not), PR usage, and scumhunting techniques, which is largely what my job will be. These are all things which you develop with time, and it's a largely individual process, hence why I want to see where each of you come from.

As a warning--know that play in each section of the site is going to be different; an open is vastly different from a micro which is vastly different from a mini which is vastly different from a large and those are vastly different between normal and theme. However, newbie games typically stand out as being even more abnormal compared to other sections of the site, so play in a newbie might differ slightly from play elsewhere. Furthermore, each game is different just as every player is unique, so a strategy working one time might backfire the next. Thus, note that I will likely be distinguishing between site-play, newbie-play, and this-game play.

Feel free to ask questions of me that you may have.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 9:12 am

Post by uctriton00 »

I'm one of the SEs, which means I'm good at Mafiascum.net. If unsure of how to win game, follow what I say.
"Also the town owes uctriton an apology for throwing him under the bus." - RXK
"I hate whoever shot triton." - Bumi
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 am

Post by Lucky2u »

My experience with Mafia games is in real life versions I've played at conventions. This is my second game on the site, I lost my first game as a vanilla townie to a perfect mafia victory.

Should I random vote now?
Crazzygoat
Crazzygoat
Townie
Crazzygoat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 9:21 am

Post by Crazzygoat »

vote: radiant cowbells

Because in my experience non of my cowbells are by any means radiant.
Crazzygoat
Crazzygoat
Townie
Crazzygoat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 am

Post by Crazzygoat »

Oh and this is my first mafia game ever... But I have the concept of games like this. I've played games like diplomacy and it seems simpler via the persuading people to your side and getting reads on liars and whatnot
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 9:52 am

Post by Lucky2u »

VOTE: Crazzygoat

Well come on... he's a crazzy goat! ...with two z's! Need I say more?
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 10:17 am

Post by JasonWazza »

VOTE: uctriton00

Because a quick look over your other games show's you RVS half the time and i don't like that, either RVS or don't man.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 6, uctriton00 wrote:I'm one of the SEs, which means I'm good at Mafiascum.net. If unsure of how to win game, follow what I say.
VOTE: Uctriton00.

Not random. I'll explain after everyone's checked in.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 10:24 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 7, Lucky2u wrote:My experience with Mafia games is in real life versions I've played at conventions. This is my second game on the site, I lost my first game as a vanilla townie to a perfect mafia victory.

Should I random vote now?
A helpful hint an old MS friend of mine shared: he was an expert at the real life game, but had trouble at first adapting to the site. However, he did eventually do so, by adapting tells in real life to tells online--there's usually an equivalent. You can ask me about tells you use in real life (I don't have much experience with it personally, so I don't know them by memory even though I'm familiar with them), and I can generally give you an online equivalent.

As for random voting--as I said, most games do in fact start with one. It's typical play across the site, in general. It's so standard that not doing so becomes an abnormality. So while it's not required to random vote, you will draw attention to yourself if you do not. I, personally, have a distaste for it, and prefer to exit it as soon as possible. Uct's post has given me such a method.
My academy.
Agnigi
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 am

Post by uctriton00 »

In post 11, JasonWazza wrote:

Because a quick look over your other games show's you RVS half the time and i don't like that, either RVS or don't man.
:neutral:

Vote: Nul

Checked in but hasn't said anything; must be plotting.
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 am

Post by Lucky2u »

Thanks mastin :)

I am very curious to see where you are going with uct.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 10:41 am

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 13, mastin2 wrote:(I don't have much experience with it personally, so I don't know them by memory even though I'm familiar with them), and I can generally give you an online equivalent.
I play RL mafia, but i tend to read body language over tells from what people say, just a habit i guess, but it's harder to find an online equivalent due to the lack of emotion in posts etc.

However you eventually get into a way of reading between the lines of what a player says.
uctriton00 wrote:

My vote is now real, same as Mastin
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 10:54 am

Post by uctriton00 »

Let's throw in 2 votes from the actual Mafia and then we'll have an L-1 on Day 1 in less than one page. Bravo!

I'm not mafia, I'm town, by the way.

My first post is a random introduction of myself. I don't know how you find that as scummy.
My second post is answering JasonWazza's request for an RVS.

Care to explain how those 2 posts are "real" votes as scum? Because I don't see it.
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 10:55 am

Post by uctriton00 »

Edit: Care to explain how those 2 posts are reason to make two "real" votes for me as scum?
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 am

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 17, uctriton00 wrote:Let's throw in 2 votes from the actual Mafia and then we'll have an L-1 on Day 1 in less than one page. Bravo!

I'm not mafia, I'm town, by the way.

My first post is a random introduction of myself. I don't know how you find that as scummy.
My second post is answering JasonWazza's request for an RVS.

Care to explain how those 2 posts are "real" votes as scum? Because I don't see it.
a) nice you just assumed that both the mafia are gonna stacks on, because that ever happens
b) you just started flailing really scummily
c) AtE (Appeal to Emotion) is everywhere in this post

But i will do what you say
In post 6, uctriton00 wrote:I'm one of the SEs, which means I'm good at Mafiascum.net. If unsure of how to win game, follow what I say.
Scummy as fuck, this isn't a random introduction, this is scum hoping people are newbish enough to just fucking sheep him.
In post 14, uctriton00 wrote:

This is bowing to minimal pressure on you, Scum are more likely to do this then scum are.

Page 1 scum for the win
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 am

Post by JasonWazza »

EBWOP (Edit by way of Post)
In post 19, JasonWazza wrote: This is bowing to minimal pressure on you, Scum are more likely to do this then
TOWN
are.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 11:21 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Ucrit is sort of too scummy to be scum to my sensibilities right now.
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 am

Post by uctriton00 »

In post 19, JasonWazza wrote: Scummy as fuck, this isn't a random introduction, this is scum hoping people are newbish enough to just fucking sheep him.
To be honest, isn't that how all mafia players should be? If you're town, you want people to listen to you because you're not being fake. If you're scum, well that's obvious, you want people to listen to you.
In post 19, JasonWazza wrote: This is bowing to minimal pressure on you, Scum are more likely to do this then town are.
I don't think it was bowing, I think it was answering a question.

And as far as ATE goes, that's all over my meta. Both town and mafia meta. It's what I do.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 11:28 am

Post by JasonWazza »

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Too_Townie

P-Edit: That doesn't mean it's a town thing to do in the situation.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2013 11:31 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 16, JasonWazza wrote:I play RL mafia, but i tend to read body language over tells from what people say, just a habit i guess, but it's harder to find an online equivalent due to the lack of emotion in posts etc.
Actually, there
is
an equivalent, of sorts--tone. Reading the tone of a post is an artform, but not one impossible to master. (And, by the way, all those players who swear by AtE disagree with your statement about there being no emotions in posts. :P)

And body language can also partially be translated into posting habits--activity (or lack thereof) in the thread, for example.
In post 21, RadiantCowbells wrote:Ucrit is sort of too scummy to be scum to my sensibilities right now.
Never assume a player is too scummy to be scum,
least
of all a player like utc, who I know to be better than that.

As I said, after we have more people check in, I will explain.
My academy.
Agnigi

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”