Newbie 1680 - GAME OVER!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 1680 - GAME OVER!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Welcome to Newbie 1680!

Moderator:
Rob13

Player List:
New Luna Republic
Bitten10minutesago**
Rubixxx
Garrett**
A Real Scourge
Some Random Mafia Player**

A Drowned Kernel
Scarycereal

(SE) Dierfire
(SE) BlueBloodedToffee
(IC) Drixx

Bolded
when confirmed.
Prods denoted as a star (*).

Spoiler: Alive
Bitten10minutesago
Rubixxx
A Real Scourge
A Drowned Kernel
Dierfire
BlueBloodedToffee
Drixx

Spoiler: Dead
Garrett,
Mafia Goon
, was lynched Day 1.
New Luna Republic,
Town Tracker
, has been killed Night 1.

Vote Count #2.4:

Dierfire:
A Drowned Kernel, A Real Scourge, BlueBloodedToffee (3)
A Drowned Kernel:
Dierfire (1)

Not Voting:
Rubixxx, Drixx, Bitten10minutesago

With 7 players alive, it takes 4 to lynch.

V/LA:
None.

Deadline:
(expired on 2016-02-19 13:25:00)
Last edited by Rob14 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Newbie Ruleset
(Stolen from Nobody Special, who stole it from KittyMo; provenance further within)

Game Rules (Modified from Zorblag, who modified them from Vel-Rahn Koon):

General Gameplay and Etiquette:

1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage, but only in the QuickTopic specified in your role PM.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM or relevant QuickTopic by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
4. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase. This is greatly appreciated if you plan not to perform an action.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:

1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline. The number of players required to lynch will be in all vote counts.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further votes or unvotes count.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as:
Vote: PlayerName
or VOTE: PlayerName. I will count all votes that I can understand as a clear vote, so abbreviations of usernames are fine.
5. Please submit vote revocations as either
Unvote: PlayerName
or UNVOTE: PlayerName or UNVOTE: . Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
7. This game will have two week day deadlines. At deadline, no lynch will occur if no majority has been reached.
8. This game will have 48 hour night deadlines.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:

This color
text is reserved for the Mod (#C35817). No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

4. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 48 hours of no activity. A prodded player has 24 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
5. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
7. If five consecutive day or night phases go by with no deaths, the game will end in a loss for all factions.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Newbie Setup

Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles will be filled in by mafia goons and vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup. For example Row 1 (1 jailkeeper, 1 vanilla townie, 1 mafia goon) would add an additional 5 vanilla townies and 1 mafia goon, for a total setup of 1 jailkeeper, 6 vanilla townies, and 2 mafia goons.

*Roleblocker will take precedence over jailkeeper when resolving night actions should that apply.

Sample Role PMs:

Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here. Confirm by replying with your role name to this PM.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at all times.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at all times.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Post by Rob14 »

All role PMs are out! Confirm as stated in your role PM within the next (expired on 2016-01-23 04:35:00). The game will start when all players have confirmed or the timer has run out.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:09 am

Post by Rob14 »

A Drowned Kernel has replaced Scarycereal.

Day 1 has begun! With 9 players alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline: (expired on 2016-02-06 10:10:00)
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:17 am

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

VOTE: Bitten10minsago

He caught scum when he got bitten. I saw it.
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
New Luna Republic
New Luna Republic
Goon
New Luna Republic
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:30 am

Post by New Luna Republic »

VOTE: Some Random Mafia Player

The third word is important
Some Random Mafia Player
Some Random Mafia Player
Goon
Some Random Mafia Player
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:33 am

Post by Some Random Mafia Player »

VOTE: New Luna Republic

OMGUS
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:04 am

Post by Rubixxx »

VOTE: BlueBloodedToffee

I've never seen toffee with blood, whether it's blue or otherwise.
Life is a puzzle; there is no answer key.
A Drowned Kernel
A Drowned Kernel
Goon
A Drowned Kernel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:19 am

Post by A Drowned Kernel »

Vote: SRMP
let's get a wagon going.

This is my first game on mafiascum but I've been playing for awhile on another site.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:25 am

VOTE: SRMP
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
A Drowned Kernel
A Drowned Kernel
Goon
A Drowned Kernel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:28 am

In post 10, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:VOTE: SRMP

I assume this is non-rvs. Elaboration?
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:11 am

You said you wanted a wagon.

I'm giving you a wagon.

Is there a problem?
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:13 am

I mean, why would you ask for a wagon and then when you get it question the person who has jumped on?.
New Luna Republic
New Luna Republic
Goon
New Luna Republic
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:30 am

Is there any point in bringing in a RQS?

@Kernel
How many games have you played? What where they like (how many people? How long DP? Role madness? Lots of activity? Where? Ect)
A Drowned Kernel
A Drowned Kernel
Goon
A Drowned Kernel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:56 am

In post 13, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:I mean, why would you ask for a wagon and then when you get it question the person who has jumped on?.

Maybe I'm looking for reactions to "let's start a wagon!"

Are you saying I shouldn't question other people's votes?

New Luna Republic wrote:Is there any point in bringing in a RQS?

@Kernel
How many games have you played? What where they like (how many people? How long DP? Role madness? Lots of activity? Where? Ect)

Probably over a dozen, usually a week to ten days, sometimes, I don't have much of a reference, the Dominion Strategy forum.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:13 am

I'm saying that to ask for support on a wagon and then question it when you get it seems awfully suspect.
A Drowned Kernel
A Drowned Kernel
Goon
A Drowned Kernel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:50 am

In post 16, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:I'm saying that to ask for support on a wagon and then question it when you get it seems awfully suspect.

Why? What's wrong with asking people to explain their votes? Do you think it's a good wagon?
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:01 am

Post by Drixx »

VOTE: A Drowned Kernel for being transparently scummy in RVS.

IC Introduction:
Hello everyone. My name is Drixx and I am your IC for this game. IC is a bit of humor, standing for Inexperience Challenged. The IC is a volunteer position served by experienced players who wish to help newer folks have an enjoyable experience in their first games, and to help teach some of the basics of the game and answer any questions of mafia game theory which may arise. There are also SE players in the game, which means that they have played a certain number of games including at least one outside of the Road to Rome. SEs are not obligated to answer questions, nor are they obligated to answer honestly should they choose to answer any questions.

The IC position is not at all indicative of role or alignment, so anything I say using this color should not be used to judge my alignment. This also means that you can trust me to always be honest with you concerning questions of mafia theory, as I understand it, when I speak in this color as the game's IC. Some areas of theory are always evolving or have several viewpoints, and while I will do my best to be thorough, I also will try not to leave you with novels to read. If there are differing views, I will explain the ones I am familiar with and which particular part I agree with.

Please be aware that while I shall not lie to you in my role as IC, you should consider me just as likely as any other player in the game to be on the scum team. The roles are assigned randomly. This also means that while I will always be honest and helpful with my posts and answers about the game, you should be careful as sometimes an honest answer can be very misleading. Mafia is a game with many facets, and deception is one of the most valuable; especially for the scum team. As the game's IC, I have a private topic where I can post thoughts about the game as it progresses, and should there be any time where I choose to play differently than I would otherwise play, because I am the game's IC, I will make a note of it there so you can see after the game.

As a start: Since it takes only 5 votes on day one to lock someone, you should think carefully before placing a vote that might allow the scum team to lock a player. As the days move onward, the number of votes required lessens and placing a vote is something you will want to think about carefully. You can always state that you suspect someone. Generally this is done by using the acronym FoS, which means "Finger of Suspicion". If you place a vote that puts someone one vote away from being lynched, it is generally considered good form to put a bold warning that the player is at L-1 (Locking Votes minus 1). If a player is already at L-1, generally you should state an intent to vote and allow them time to give a final defense, reads, or make a claim.

Finally, there is plenty of time in each day phase, so be sure to discuss things with the rest of the players, ask questions, respond to questions from others, and check back in as often as you have the time. An active game is a great deal more fun than an inactive one.

Please do remember to keep things civil. A little humor never hurts, so long as it isn't in the form of a personal attack against other players. Mafia is a game that can sometimes inspire emotion, and if you get frustrated with another player, remember to attack the play and not the player. That's about it for my introductory post. If you have any questions for me, please bold them and put them on a new line starting with @Drixx or @IC to make sure that I see them, and I'll do my very best to answer it as quickly as possible.

I work as a professor in real life, so please feel free to ask as many questions as you would like; I really don't mind answering them.

Let's have a great game guys!
Get to know a Drixx - Recently Updated!
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:09 am

Post by Rubixxx »

In post 16, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:I'm saying that to ask for support on a wagon and then question it when you get it seems awfully suspect.

I agree wholeheartedly. Why anyone would ask for a wagon and then snap at the first person to join them is beyond me. Especially during what was SUPPOSED to be an RVP.

So, without further delay, here's my first real vote.

UNVOTE: BBT
VOTE: ADK

PEdit: For fuck's sake, Drixx. You just had to choose a character that typed in blue just like mine. Okay, so in the interest of not confusing anyone, from now on, I guess I'm going to be...
green.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:09 am

VOTE: ADK

This wagon looks even better.
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:17 am

Post by Rubixxx »

(
@Drixx
, that sounded much more harsh than I would have liked. While the frustration was real, I totally respect you as an experienced player who's done the color coded ICs before me. Whether you're scum or not, I'm going to be paying close attention to how you do things. :p )
Dierfire
Dierfire
Mafia Scum
Dierfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:20 am

Post by Dierfire »

Hello everyone! I'm snowed in without internet access, so I'm working off of my phone and I won't be very active this weekend.

VOTE: Garrett

Vengeance!
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:23 am

Thoughts on ADK and his wagon Dier?
New Luna Republic
New Luna Republic
Goon
New Luna Republic
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:25 am

In post 18, Drixx wrote:As a start: Since it takes only 5 votes on day one to lock someone, you should think carefully before placing a vote that might allow the scum team to lock a player.

By lock you mean confirm a lynch right? I had always thought L-x meant lynch - X. Anyway its nice to have an IC post this game last game never really got one.

Also the only people I 'know' would be BBT as he replaced into ma first game (then got fairly quickly lynched) and I've read though one game with Drixx in it before.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”