Open 566: Murder on the Oriental Express (Game Over)

Dry-fit
Dry-fit
Mafia Scum
Dry-fit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:55 am

Post by Dry-fit »

In post 122, SnugglyDuckling wrote:Why don't you think going into your ideas will help the town?

I can't really go into it without revealing what they are.

I'll bring my ideas up when they become relevant.

I don't agree with your view on questioning acryon. Probing questions are like leads in a case. Some of them go somewhere, some don't. The best thing to do with the leads that don't go anywhere is to abandon them. There's no need to follow up. Also I think TobyLoby has been offering other kinds of content.
Andy Murray: Two time Wimbledon and one time US Open Champ! Former world number 1!

C'mon Andy!
acryon
acryon
Mafia Scum
acryon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:00 am

Post by acryon »

In post 125, Dry-fit wrote:
I don't agree with your view on questioning acryon. Probing questions are like leads in a case. Some of them go somewhere, some don't. The best thing to do with the leads that don't go anywhere is to abandon them. There's no need to follow up. Also I think TobyLoby has been offering other kinds of content.

I agree that some don't go anywhere and they don't require follow-up, but there was no follow-up on almost any of them. So unless Toby has some extraordinary record of consecutive bad leads in this game, there is still some missing content.
Amy Farrah Fowler
Amy Farrah Fowler
Goon
Amy Farrah Fowler
Goon
Goon

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 am

Post by Amy Farrah Fowler »

In post 117, TobyLoby wrote:Chaos' post,
In post 63, chaoslord54 wrote:Also, your case against Mr.Blonde has no real evidence against it and I do not understand why a wagon is building on him so early because of a post where he said "let's dance."

I do find scummy, but in the past I've found it to be a stronger associative tell than a flat out. A scum coming in to defend their buddy sort of way. Two votes on a buddy may look more dire than it is. I can especially see this with a newer player. I suppose it could be a scum Chaos busing a scum farside and overexagerrating a wagon but I find it less likely.

I like this post.

I think the tone of the post reinforces the defensive aspect. It's a slight example of more reductio ad absurdum, whereby chaos is suggesting that the phrase 'let's dance' was the cause of a 'wagon'. Some specific wording in the post like 'no real evidence' for example, also give off a scummy vibe.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 102, Belisarius wrote:
In post 97, Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:Why are you turning this into argumentum ad absurdum by changing the argument to involve all replacements, requested or not?

Because I'm not. Those links were two games where the mod specifically stated replacement was requested, and one where a pregame replacement occurred without sufficient delay to gamestart for it to be anything
but
a request.

"Active elsewhere" is not relevant; there is no cause and effect relationship between replace-out requests and activity elsewhere. What's next, are we going to limit the criteria to a specific moon phase, making it even more impossible to get a sufficient sample size to be meaningful? How about only looking at replacements who are dog owners?

Oh yuck. That is kind of twisty isn't it? Look, I get that farside's thing sucked, but at the same time, you can't try to feign completely not understanding his point. Active elsewhere isn't entirely irrelevant in his mind because he thinks that some players just don't like playing scum and are liable to replace out if they get a scum role, but just replacing out because you are a Newbie is completely null. Now, that isn't entirely accurate obviously, because some players just realize they signed up for too many games and don't have the time to devote to all of them, so they choose. And it isn't fair to assume that someone is scum based on something pregame that they had nothing to do with and can't make a case against. But you at least have to see why farside thinks what he does. It isn't that hard to figure out. But you try and pound the nails in the coffin and make him seem much worse than he is by comparing something that obviously have some minor level of relevance to something with NO relevance. This really isn't a good post.

VOTE: Beli There we go.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:46 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 127, Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:
In post 63, chaoslord54 wrote:Also, your case against Mr.Blonde has no real evidence against it and I do not understand why a wagon is building on him so early because of a post where he said "let's dance."

I do find scummy, but in the past I've found it to be a stronger associative tell than a flat out. A scum coming in to defend their buddy sort of way. Two votes on a buddy may look more dire than it is. I can especially see this with a newer player. I suppose it could be a scum Chaos busing a scum farside and overexagerrating a wagon but I find it less likely.

I like this post.

I think the tone of the post reinforces the defensive aspect. It's a slight example of more reductio ad absurdum, whereby chaos is suggesting that the phrase 'let's dance' was the cause of a 'wagon'. Some specific wording in the post like 'no real evidence' for example, also give off a scummy vibe.

I really like you Amy. I really hope you aren't scum because I'm just writing you off as Town in my head. Probably shouldn't do that, but I don't like thinking that people who agree with me are scum.

Anyway, with Chaos, I do agree that his single post was scummy, but he is a newer player and I'm kind of just giving him a pass and letting him redeem himself. There is confusion in that post, and I think the confusion is genuine whether he is Town or scum. Meep, I could see him going either way.
FakedBlogger
FakedBlogger
Goon
FakedBlogger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:51 am

Post by FakedBlogger »

I have no idea what's going on.

UNVOTE:

I'll give this a try tomorrow.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:21 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 130, FakedBlogger wrote:I have no idea what's going on.

UNVOTE:

I feel like this is a Towntell. I know I definitely felt this way just before my posts in this game. Would scum be less likely to say that they were confused? I dunno, I feel like Town are more open about how they are feeling.
TobyLoby
TobyLoby
Goon
TobyLoby
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:59 am

Post by TobyLoby »

Concerning Beli,

In post 75, Belisarius wrote:
In post 71, Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:Beli, please tone down the sarcasm just a tad as it's not necessary and does nothing to aid the conversation.

I'm afraid I'm going to go ahead and reject that unfounded stipulation -- and, by the transitive property, the demand premised by it.

I look at this and go, would scum be so flippant?
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Post by Skelda »

In post 132, TobyLoby wrote:Concerning Beli,

In post 75, Belisarius wrote:
In post 71, Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:Beli, please tone down the sarcasm just a tad as it's not necessary and does nothing to aid the conversation.

I'm afraid I'm going to go ahead and reject that unfounded stipulation -- and, by the transitive property, the demand premised by it.

I look at this and go, would scum be so flippant?

I assumed that Beli would just be like that regardless of alignment. But that kind of brashness does seem town in general, so I dunno.
Baezu
Baezu
Mafia Scum
Baezu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Post by Baezu »

Vote Count 1.03Belisarius: (2) Amy Farrah Fowler, Skelda
Chaoslord54: (3) Dry-fit, Mr_Blonde, acryon
TobyLoby: (1) Farside22
Mr_Blonde: (1) RoyalApe
Farside22: (2) Belisarius, Chaoslord54
acryon: (2) TobyLoby, Snugglyduckling

Not Voting: cerberus48, Astinus, NakedJogger

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.

Deadline: (expired on 2014-09-09 18:18:00)

Mod Notes:
None
Show
Stats have been transferred to the wiki http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=User:Baezu

“Baezu’s my top town. If she's scum I'll eat Alchemist's hat.” (Something I never thought I’d hear in any game. Ever.) -RCEnigma in EICN
“Baezu tier: Baezu” (Oooo I get my own tier!!!) -Vorkuta

Planning the next Toronto Meet! in late 2020
Mr_Blonde
Mr_Blonde
Goon
Mr_Blonde
Goon
Goon

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Post by Mr_Blonde »

Reading up.
Mr_Blonde
Mr_Blonde
Goon
Mr_Blonde
Goon
Goon

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Post by Mr_Blonde »

In post 86, Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:
In post 76, TobyLoby wrote:
Amy
, what are your thoughts on farside?

I can see that farside isn't simply pushing her replacement tell (I'll call it that for now). She's also involved in other elements of the game, commenting and asking question, so townpoints to her in that respect, as I've noticed that sometimes scum looking to lynch town tend to spend all their time focusing on their lynch target of choice.
As for her replacement tell, whatever my personal thoughts on it may be, it looks like she genuinely believes in it. Scum using it ONLY to lynch someone would've probably dropped the case much earlier without bothering to do things like bringing up evidence.
She is also analyzing Mr Blonde's reactions, adding to the fact that it's genuine.

So I'd say I can classify farside as Null/Town.

Where have you seen this analysis?

In post 110, SnugglyDuckling wrote:
In post 50, Mr_Blonde wrote:
In post 47, Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:
In post 37, SnugglyDuckling wrote:
Unvote
and
Vote Mr Blonde

Something makes me think he is mafia.

Would you like to inform us of what that something is?
Or if it's gut feeling then are there any specific posts that provoked it?

Some examples of why he is town reading you would be sweet too.

Just feelings I got. No hard evidence obviously. Specific post would be 28 though in hindsight it doesn't look as bad as I thought. I guess it was just going off what had been posted so far though now that more things have been posted, that doesn't stick out as much to me any more.

Amy seems town just because I feel like I want to trust her for some reason. Do I
need
a reason? Haha because I don't have one.

Interesting that you both asked questions to me about each other.

Need
is probably a bit stronger of a word than necessary. But you
should
have a reason for why you think she's town. Even if it's just gut or 'tone' (how their posts read) you should be able to give some explanation as to why you feel the way you do regarding other players.

One of the best tools that I've found playing forum Mafia to catch scum is by looking for consistency from others. Are their explanations plausible? Do I agree with the conclusion they come to based on the evidence they use to support it? Basically - do the dots connect? Now this isn't 100% sure-fire going to catch you scum, but it has worked for me a lot in the past. Scum tend to have a hard time faking internal consistency and over a period of time that becomes glaringly obvious.

In post 116, Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:
In post 111, SnugglyDuckling wrote:
In post 53, Mr_Blonde wrote:Generally players that hand out reads for seemingly arbitrary reasons get the stink eye from me.

Fair enough but I rarely find reasons to suspect people other than arbitrary ones so prepare to give me a lot of stink eyes.

Townpoints for the above post.

While I partially agree with acryon and hope you find some legitimate reasons too, this post jumps out to me as towny, if only because I can't really see scum, especially newbie scum, replying in that way.

I've already declared Duckling as town for his free-flowing posts. Get your own read :P

In post 127, Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:

I like this post.

@Toby
- Please explain the bolded quote of yours that is nested here. I missed this earlier, but here you appear to be linking me with Chaos by saying that he is coming to my defense - but end the quote by saying that he could just be busing Farside as well. I'm not following here.

You are saying that two other slots could potentially be scumbros with Chaos, which essentially makes Chaos scum in either situation, but you are voting whom? Also - I feel it's very early for such associative tells, even if soft. I find it a bit troubling that you'd associate this sort of defense to automatically mean wolf/wolf instead of potentially Chaos buddying/WKing.

In post 131, Skelda wrote:

UNVOTE:

I feel like this is a Towntell
. I know I definitely felt this way just before my posts in this game. Would scum be less likely to say that they were confused? I dunno, I feel like Town are more open about how they are feeling.

I couldn't disagree more. I also find it odd that you'd consider this a Townie post.
Mr_Blonde
Mr_Blonde
Goon
Mr_Blonde
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Post by Mr_Blonde »

Farside
Chaos
Toby
Skelda
Jogger

Updated null-scum list.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Post by farside22 »

In post 118, TobyLoby wrote:
In post 112, acryon wrote:Not that I generally feel the need to respond to this type of thing, but it seems a little disingenuous to call quoting the wiki to be helpful and give a newbie an accurate definition "regurgitating" it. Additionally, 59 was a real post. So at that time, I had one post helping a newbie, one post adding onto someone's argument, and a third post detailing my reads with a blurb regarding my playstyle during RVS. Trying to say a "good chunk" of my contribution was from what you said it was seems likes a hard sell.

You quoted. It doesn't matter why or for whom. How else would you define it? I suppose "quoting from the wiki" is the best way to put it. It is nothing more besides that. I'm looking at your posts on an ongoing contribution basis and that is what I see.

In post 113, farside22 wrote:What was the point if your question to astinus?

I didn't ask a question to Astinus. I asked someone a question about Astinus and I think it is self-evident why.

Sorry, what was the point of your question to duckling?
I don't see what it was.

Duckling

I'm impressed because I felt this exact same way.

Unvote and Vote acryon

Why didn't you say something sooner? What is acryon scum motivation for doing it?

Now that you put it that way it seems pretty reasonable.

I admit I didn't really follow your argument up to this point; who are you saying this makes more likely to be scum? #toolazytorereaditall

Scum. How did you miss this?

@dryfit: do you agree with what Toby/duck feel about acryon?
If so why?
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Amy Farrah Fowler
Amy Farrah Fowler
Goon
Amy Farrah Fowler
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Post by Amy Farrah Fowler »

In post 136, Mr_Blonde wrote:
In post 86, Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:
In post 76, TobyLoby wrote:
Amy
, what are your thoughts on farside?

I can see that farside isn't simply pushing her replacement tell (I'll call it that for now). She's also involved in other elements of the game, commenting and asking question, so townpoints to her in that respect, as I've noticed that sometimes scum looking to lynch town tend to spend all their time focusing on their lynch target of choice.
As for her replacement tell, whatever my personal thoughts on it may be, it looks like she genuinely believes in it. Scum using it ONLY to lynch someone would've probably dropped the case much earlier without bothering to do things like bringing up evidence.
She is also analyzing Mr Blonde's reactions, adding to the fact that it's genuine.

So I'd say I can classify farside as Null/Town.

Where have you seen this analysis?

In post she mentions that she was going to see how the replacement reacts, and she mentioned that so far you were pretty nonplussed about it.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:05 am

Post by farside22 »

Well most of the game I was defending my statement.

Blond (who I may call Brian because of avatar) why is bel a town read? I can't see why he mentions and pushes this as a scum tell.

Noting to self.
I just read the last 2 post of this pages. Sleep. Mmmm
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
RoyalApe
RoyalApe
Goon
RoyalApe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:35 am

Post by RoyalApe »

In post 114, acryon wrote:
In post 53, Mr_Blonde wrote:Generally players that hand out reads for seemingly arbitrary reasons get the stink eye from me.

Fair enough but I rarely find reasons to suspect people other than arbitrary ones so prepare to give me a lot of stink eyes.

I hope this isn't the case. It isn't that hard to find at least semi-legitimate reasons to suspect players.

I don't like this response. It seems to indicate that it is OK to find arbitrary reasons to point to in order to justify a crap vote.

I generally like to see real reasons myself, it gives more to judge players by, both good and bad. If Duckling isn't going to provide reasons for his suspicions - ok - it will just make it harder for me to trust him.
RoyalApe
RoyalApe
Goon
RoyalApe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:39 am

Post by RoyalApe »

In post 83, Mr_Blonde wrote:
In post 73, RoyalApe wrote:VOTE: Mr Blonde, sorry I missed your birthday. Have a belated b-day vote.

Thanks?

Any opinion on what's happened thus far?

If farside had sat on the vote for the reasons stated, I would definitely be reading scum there. As is, I'm willing to believe it was used to generate discussion.

Chaos jumping in with a farside vote seemed like he was trying to jumpstart a wagon, so I'm reading it as scummy.
RoyalApe
RoyalApe
Goon
RoyalApe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:47 am

Post by RoyalApe »

A.F.F. is probably my best town read so far.

The first few posts that I really noticed from her seemed like she was just trying to appear to be participating as I saw her throwing questions out and I felt she was trying to mediate more than participate in the discussion itself.

Now that I see her reacting to some of the responses with her opinions, I'm feeling better about her.
RoyalApe
RoyalApe
Goon
RoyalApe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:54 am

Post by RoyalApe »

In post 136, Mr_Blonde wrote:
In post 131, Skelda wrote:

UNVOTE:

I feel like this is a Towntell
. I know I definitely felt this way just before my posts in this game. Would scum be less likely to say that they were confused? I dunno, I feel like Town are more open about how they are feeling.

I couldn't disagree more. I also find it odd that you'd consider this a Townie post.

I thought it was an odd read as well. By itself, I think Jogger's post is null, just a bit of frustration.

Skelda's post is scummy to me because I'm reading it as "hey, this is a townie, I know because I felt the same way". In other words, I'm reading this as trying to get town to subconsciously think Skelda is townie without having to outright state "Hey everybody, I'm town, please move along elsewhere".
RoyalApe
RoyalApe
Goon
RoyalApe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:58 am

Post by RoyalApe »

Following up on my last post where I state that Skelda sounded scummy, I did an ISO on him and I like everything else that I read. Back in the null pile.
RoyalApe
RoyalApe
Goon
RoyalApe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:02 am

Post by RoyalApe »

In post 124, acryon wrote:
In post 121, Dry-fit wrote:
Because I don't think going into them now will help the town.

Here's how I like to look at it. Each of us is working on the same puzzle, but some of us find different pieces at different points. By providing what pieces you have(as little as they may be), you could provide someone else with the missing piece they need to put together a more solid case.

I really like this post. Encouraging town to work together is good. Assuming we see the same contributions from him that he is asking for from the town, this helps me read Acryon as town.
chaoslord54
chaoslord54
Goon
chaoslord54
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:19 am

Post by chaoslord54 »

Hey guys sorry been out of town so in posting something real quick from my phone. Will read over and make a real post tonight
acryon
acryon
Mafia Scum
acryon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:34 am

Post by acryon »

In post 141, RoyalApe wrote:
In post 114, acryon wrote:

I hope this isn't the case. It isn't that hard to find at least semi-legitimate reasons to suspect players.

I don't like this response. It seems to indicate that it is OK to find arbitrary reasons to point to in order to justify a crap vote.

I generally like to see real reasons myself, it gives more to judge players by, both good and bad. If Duckling isn't going to provide reasons for his suspicions - ok - it will just make it harder for me to trust him.

I think this may just be an issues of definition. Arbitrary means without reason, and I said with reasons, so it wouldn't be arbitrary. I think the ultimate point is that I think even a suspicion based on
something
legitimate is good, even if it may not be the strongest case in the world, because at least that little something can get us somewhere.
Astinus
Astinus
Goon
Astinus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:46 am

Post by Astinus »

In post 109, TobyLoby wrote:I made a response about Astinus in post 78. I don't know if we can take anything serious from their actions or read from it.

Why does something I do in the GD section (Which was a bad choice, I admit) have to interfere with how seriously I'm taken in a game? I think you should forget about it and move on.

Return to “Completed Open Games”