The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Open 487: Hard Boiled Day 3: A sinister Murder

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:08 am

Post by The Acting Method »

Hello and Welcome to 487: Hard Boiled! I'm The Acting Method, your mysterious and eccentric host for the evening.
But before we go into Flavor, rules and setup, Let's see who you all are.

PLAYERLIST:

Mr E Roll
jon_h61
Voodoo Lady

Piratecat

Ms Marangal

orcinus_theoriginal

freezing-hell

hp [leaves]*
Larry David

Human Destroyer
Freshmaniscoolman

nopointinactingup
startransmission

RachMarie

Mathdino
Nekoko

Leafsw0rd

ALIVE

Spoiler:
Mr E Roll
jon_h61
Voodoo Lady

Piratecat

orcinus_theoriginal

freezing-hell

nopointinactingup
startransmission

Nekoko

Leafsw0rd

*=Prod

Swimming with the Fishes (DEAD)

Spoiler:
hp [leaves]*
Larry David
Mafia Goon
, Lynched Day 1.
Mathdino
Town Tracker/Vig
, Killed Night 1
Ms Marangal
Mafia Goon
, Lynched Day 2
Rach Marie
Town Detective
, Killed Night 2
Human Destroyer
Freshmaniscoolman
Mafia Goon
, Lynched Day 3.

Burned into a crisp after refusing an offer they couldn't refuse (MODKILLED)

No one, and it better stay that way.

Important Events

Game Start Votecount 1.1 Votecount 1.2 Votecount 1.3, hp [leaves] replaces Larry David jon_h61 replaces Voodoo Lady, Votecount 1.4, Votecount 1.5, Votecount 1.6, Votecount 1.7 Votecount 1.8, nopointinactingup replaces startransmission, Votecount 1.9, Votecount 1.10, Votecount 1.11, Votecount 1.12, hp [leaves] is lynched, Day Two begins, Vote Count 2.0 Ms Marangal is lynched Day 3 starts, Vote Count 3.0 Game Ends
Last edited by The Acting Method on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 50 times in total.
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.

Theater Season Mafia STARTING SOON!!!!
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:37 am

Rules and Regulations:
("Borrowed" from quadz08 with alterations by me)
General:

1) I am MOD. There is no greater authority than I. I reserve the right to alter these rules if I deem it necessary, including retroactively enforcing new/altered rules. You also have my promise that I will not do so unless it really is necessary.
2) Do not talk about this game outside of the thread (or your QT, if you have one) in any way, shape, or form.
3) Do not quote any mod communications originating outside the game thread. You may paraphrase, but be cautious when doing so.
4) If you are modkilled, you automatically become a Neutral Survivor, and lose the game.
5) If I screw up, let me know. Post in thread (
@Mod: I voted for Nader, not Bush
) or PM me.
6) Please try to avoid using bold unless you are voting or communicating with me.
7) All night actions will be resolved with a modified version of Natural Action Resolution.
8)
Green
is my color. Do not use it.
9) All roles have been given out by Advanced Mafia Generator

Voting/Lynching:

1) Voting will be done either using the VOTE: tag, or in this format:
vote: Nixon
2) There will be no voting trickery. If something is clearly intended to be a vote for a specific player, I will treat it as such.
3) A lynch will occur when half-plus-one of living players are voting for the same player. As soon as the hammer vote is cast, the game will enter Twilight.
4) All living players (including the lynchee) may talk in Twilight, but any voting/unvoting will not count. Twilight will last until I post the final vote count / scene.
5) Roles will be revealed at death.
6) Once dead, you are allowed a single ‘bah’ post at the beginning of the next Day Phase.
7) If there is no majority at deadline, a no-lynch will occur.

Deadlines:

1) Day phases will have a deadline of 3 weeks from the daybreak scene.
2) Day phases are extendable in the case of excessive/badly timed replacements and other extenuating circumstances.
3) Night phases will have a deadline of 3 days from the lynch scene.
4) Prods will be given if a player has not posted in 72 hours or if a player requests it and the Mod agrees. If a Player is prodded 3 times, they may be replaced without warning.
5) A player must respond, in-thread, to a prod within 48 hours, or they will be replaced. If the 48 hours runs into Night Phase, they must PM me within the same time frame.

Don’t Be Stupid:

1) Don’t use hidden or encrypted text. You may use small text, unless it is hiding game-related or important information.
2) Play to your win condition.
3) Don’t attack your fellow players. It’s just a game.
4) Understand that life throws curveballs sometimes, and players will have to go V/LA. I can certainly relate. Please do not accuse players of using V/LA unfairly.
5) By the same token, please don’t use V/LA unfairly. If something comes up, that’s fine, but don’t ruin the game for others. Request replacement if you need to.
6) On a similar note, please actually inform me you are going on V/LA, Post it in thread, AND PM me with the info, that way, I'm sure to get it.
7) Have fun. No, really. Have fun.
Last edited by The Acting Method on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:46 am

SAMPLE ROLE PM'S and Setup
This game is Hard Boiled

The Basic Setup configuration is:
Mafia Goons

Vanilla Townies

Tracker/Vigilante

Hider

Detective OR Psychologist

Example Role PM's are:

Mafia PM wrote:Welcome, X. You are a Mafia goon, along with Y and Z. You have the following abilities:
-Factional communication: You may talk with your mafia partners at [quicktopic link goes here] during night phases and before the start of day one.
-Factional kill: Every night, one living member of the mafia may PM me with the name of someone who you want to kill, as well as who you want to be the killer (if no killer is specified, I will assume that the person sending the PM is the killer). That person will die unless in some way protected.
Win condition: You win when all members of the town are dead and at least one member of the mafia is alive, or nothing can prevent the same.
Please confirm via PM by stating your role.

Town PM wrote:
Welcome, X. You are a vanilla townie. You have no special abilities.
Win condition: you win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member is alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Tracker/Vigilante PM wrote:
Welcome, X. You are the Tracker/Vigilante. You have the following abilities:
-Decision: on night one, you must choose whether you want to be a tracker or a vigilante. You will remain this role for the duration of the game.
-Tracker: if you choose tracker on night one, then on every night (including night one) you may PM me the name of someone who you want to track. I will return a PM telling you who that person targeted that night, or that they targeted no one.
-Vigilante: if you choose vigilante on night one, then on every night (including night one) you may PM me a name of someone who you want to kill. That person will die, unless in some way protected.
Win condition: you win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member is alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Hider PM wrote:
Welcome, X. You are the hider. You have the following abilities:
-Hide: every night, you may PM me with the name of someone who you want to hide behind. If that player is a member of the mafia or the vigilante, you will die. If the player you hide behind is targeted for a nightkill by the mafia or vigilante that night, you will die. If you are targeted for a nightkill on a night that you hide behind someone else, that nightkill will not affect you.

Detective PM wrote:
Welcome, X. You are the detective. You have the following abilities:
-Investigation: every night, you may PM me the name of someone who you want to investigate. I will return a result indicating whether or not that player has killed another player at night on any night, including the night that your action was submitted.

Psychologist PM wrote:
Welcome, X. You are the psychologist. You have the following abilities:
-Diagnosis: every night, you may PM me wit the name of someone who you want to diagnose. I will return a result indicating whether or not that player has the capability to kill another player at night. If they have already killed another player, or kill another player on the night you diagnose them, they will lie to you so you will be told that they do not have the capability to kill.

The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:51 am

Roles Being Generated

Roles Generated, Sending out PM's

PM's sent out, Game begins when 11 have confirmed or on (expired on 2013-04-07 07:00:00)

11/13 confirmed, Game will begin Shortly

Generating Flavor and opening post

Game on!

Current VotecountVote Count 3.0
Not Voting: Everyone
With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch
jon_h61 is V/LA until 4/22
Day ends in (expired on 2013-05-10 17:00:00)
Last edited by The Acting Method on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 24 times in total.

The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:54 am

FlavorIt was dark and stormy on Easter Morn, not the normal kind of morning you would expect in the city of Alden Central on such a grand day. But those were the breaks, The leading members of society gathered together to meet in the city cathedral, when on the steps they found Father Francis Lawrence, the kindly priest in charge and a known patron of the arts, dead, stabbed by a knife wound, however they had reached the man just as he breathed his last, his final words sounding ominous in the minds of these elites "God Save your souls." before breathing his last. On his body they found a note on his body from the Auttores, an infamous mafia gang known for their brutalties. Telling the Father that if he did not do as they said, he would be killed. Clearly he had refused and this was the results. The Society Leaders rushed inside to debate and discuss as clearly it had to have been one of their own helping the Auttore's from the implications in the note.

Father Francis Lawerence, Moderator Character Town Matyr, Killed Night 0.

The Game's Afoot!

Vote CountNot Voting: Everyone

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch

Ms Marangal is V/LA until Monday, April 1st

Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:58 am

Post by Mathdino »

VOTE: Freshmaniscoolman for slowing the game down.

Alright, so shall we begin with discussions of the setup? Last two Hard Boiled games were pretty much determined by how the town used its PRs.

Firstly, I just want to say that the tracker/vig needs to pick tracker unless you end up claiming D1. Vig screws up the hider and the det/psych considerably.
freezing-hell
freezing-hell
Goon
freezing-hell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:15 am

Post by freezing-hell »

VOTE: mathdino for beating me to the punch.
Hello everyone. Looking forward to play with you all. I agree with Mathdino, tracker is a lot better. It doesn't hinder the other PRs as much.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:19 am

Post by startransmission »

This is my first Hard Boiled game. The setup seems pretty straight forward, but I may look for an old game to read. Luckily my weekend starts in a few short hours, so I'll be able to devote some time.

Vote: Larry David
...I just don't like the cut of his jib.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
RachMarie
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
HUGS ♥

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:40 am

Post by RachMarie »

VOTE: FH

For not showing me new pics of your adorable baby girl... Good to see you and LD again ♥
BRAND NEW Get to know me http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=69243
Like the phoenix I am rising from the ashes
chilledtea: We played bad on day 2 when we lynched rach.

YT Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0psF_ ... Jpw/videos
Leafsw0rd
Leafsw0rd
Goon
Leafsw0rd
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:05 am

Post by Leafsw0rd »

Mornin' everyone. This is my first game outta newbie... So here goes nothing!

VOTE: MrERoll because I rolled 1 on a 12 sided die and he's first on the list.
Larry David
Larry David
Goon
Larry David
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:28 am

Post by Larry David »

VOTE: Voodoo Lady For suspision of head shrinking!
Heya Freezinghell and RachMarie, awesome to see you guys again! I wouldnt say the Vigi should claim d1 to be usefull. Way to easy NK target and a quick PR loss.

Happy Easter!
Newbie 1235: MattP: [Larry David] is so fuckin town that I would buy a vacation home in him.
Ms Marangal
Ms Marangal
We the Purple
Ms Marangal
We the Purple
We the Purple

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 am

Post by Ms Marangal »

/entrance post

I'm here, I won't be able to say anything until tomorrow though.

also, Fuck RVS.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:36 am

Post by Mathdino »

@Larry David: What I mean is that if the tracker/vig is right about to be lynched he should obviously claim and vig the scummiest player at night, as the tracker's useless if he's getting NKed. That's what happened last HB game except the vig killed the detective at night and died. :facepalm:

That said, here's an example of the town utilising the PRs perfectly. Basically, hider claims late D1, and tracker follows hider every night. If hider doesn't die, he announces who he hid behind, making that person conftown. If hider dies, tracker says who hider hid behind, and town lynches that person. Meanwhile, det/psych racks up results and by either D3 or D4, the town has a complete list of confirmed townies. Insta-Win.
Piratecat
Piratecat
Mafia Scum
Piratecat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Post by Piratecat »

Vote: Rach <3

Honestly, I say picking tracking/vig depends on the player who has it. I would be a lot happier with a tracker rather than a vig because a vig can cause damage to Hider. The vig really should be only picked if we have an experienced player who is really confident they will hit mafia. A tracker can give a lot of conf-town whereas a vig has a harder chance of hitting mafia and also possibly crosskilling the hider. It also can cross with the Dect/Psych because it can give them a false read and possibly cause them to claim early, but also accidentally outing the vig. All of which isn't good for the town.
Two different play styles rolled into one. - Guille
Can't tell us apart? It's easy. Lowercase
is
Mollie and caps
is
Mala.
There problem solved!
Ms Marangal
Ms Marangal
We the Purple
Ms Marangal
We the Purple
We the Purple

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:27 pm

Post by Ms Marangal »

First...

I thought Hiders aren't viable targets for night actions.

and who said anything about claiming roles? Dino was stating that the person who Drew vig/tracker would be better off with choosing the Tracker option as it is less likely to mess up PR's, and I agree with that sentiment.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Post by Mathdino »

Hiders are viable, but the night action will only go through if they don't hide. So essentially, if they hide every night, the only way they'll die is if they hit a goon or vig, or if mafia kills the person they hide behind.

I can agree with that, Piratecat, but even then, the hider has a good chance of hiding behind the experienced vig in order to confirm him/her and dying.

So you're a hydra of Malakittens and pirate mollie, right? Not sure I understand what your sig says on distinguishing you.
Ms Marangal
Ms Marangal
We the Purple
Ms Marangal
We the Purple
We the Purple

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 pm

Post by Ms Marangal »

Mala uses Caps when she types up her post, and Mollie doesn't, so Mala just typed up their post
Voodoo Lady
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:03 pm

Post by Voodoo Lady »

VOTE: Larry David

You seem pretty eager to lynch me on false charges of shamanism. I think you ought to... curb your enthusiasm. :0)

Also, rereading through the sample role PMs-- wow the psychiatrist is useless!
RachMarie
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
HUGS ♥

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Post by RachMarie »

I would be very happy if the person who got that role choice go tracker thanks ♥ As has been pointed out vig would screw things up for the other town PR whether it be a detective or a psychologist. Let's not stomp on our own toes and focus on getting the scum instead.

Piratecat
Piratecat
Mafia Scum
Piratecat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Post by Piratecat »

I was really just typing up what I thought the pro/cons of picking a tracker/vig. I never said anything about claiming, but if my thought process accidentally came out like that I'm sorry. Like I said - I would be more happier with a tracker being picked on Night 1, but if the player who has the control of the decision is experienced while being a vig and is confident that they can kill mafia without hitting town then pick the vig.

I'm just saying there's more damage done to the town if a vig is picked over a tracker.

I tend to capitalize my sentences. Trust me once Mollie gets in here.. It will become clear who's posting what and when.
Two different play styles rolled into one. - Guille
Can't tell us apart? It's easy. Lowercase
is
Mollie and caps
is
Mala.
There problem solved!
RachMarie
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
HUGS ♥

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Post by RachMarie »

oh yeah hider I knew there was another one. Again being a tracker would help there as well.

Pedit, yeah I did not think you were suggesting claiming Mala, That would be nuts especially since we are still in RVS.

Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:33 pm

Post by Mathdino »

Got it, Piratecat. And I think Marangal was talking to Larry, who was talking to me, basically saying the only reason the tracker/vig should pick vig is if he's forced to claim by the end of the day. Only other time I mentioned claiming was saying the hider will probably have to claim at some point to out some confirmed townies.

@Voodoo: Psych is pretty useful D1 and its usefulness later on will either stay the same or diminish based on whether mafia keep sending the same person or switch things up.
freezing-hell
freezing-hell
Goon
freezing-hell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:47 pm

Post by freezing-hell »

Hey rach and Larry David. Nice to see both of you in this game <3

In post 19, Piratecat wrote:
Like I said - I would be more happier with a tracker being picked on Night 1, but if the player who has the control of the decision is experienced while being a vig and is confident that they can kill mafia without hitting town then pick the vig.

That's quite the fence you're sitting on, Piratecat. You'd rather have the tracker, but if the person in question is confident then he can be vig? That puts your opinion exactly back into the middle. There are ofcourse pros and cons for all the roles, but trying to advocate a role that has a higher chance of hitting town then scum sounds anti-town to me.
2:44AM right now so I'm off to bed. But first:

UNVOTE:
VOTE: Piratecat

@mod: double post to fix the quote code, if it's not too much trouble, could you delete the other one?

Done.
Last edited by The Acting Method on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:51 pm

Post by Mathdino »

Not liking this opportunism on a discussion of theory. I think Piratecat's stance is pretty clearly laid out.
Nekoko
Nekoko
Goon
Nekoko
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:25 pm

Post by Nekoko »

In post 14, Ms Marangal wrote:I thought Hiders aren't viable targets for night actions.
The Role PM only says night kills will not affect you if you were targeted while hiding.
Liking Mathdino for now as I wouldn't have thought of the tracker and hider strategy.

I think I'm 100% sure that tracker should be chosen (and everyone should).
1. The hider can be killed if he tried to confirm the vigilante
2. The vigilante, if not experienced, will do more harm than good
3. If the detective was chosen, he can falsely accuse the vigilante as scum.
Second, if it's not clear that a tracker was surely picked, a scum that was
targeted by detective can just claim he's a vigilante and now the real tracker
should probably counter claim.

The reason why everyone should say that a tracker must be chosen is because
of #3. Mafia outed by detective can just say he's vig and say on day 1 he did
not ignore the possibility of choosing vig unlike some people
(assuming the tracker did not claim yet).

The only reason vig should be chosen if he's unfortunately about to be lynched
so that he can use his night action one last time.

In post 24, Mathdino wrote:Not liking this opportunism on a discussion of theory. I think Piratecat's stance is pretty clearly laid out.
I think he's not necessarily being opportunistic. I think his vote has merit.
Scum hunting never stops. And besides, at least the random voting stage is over.

Because as much as much as possible I vote someone who I feel is suspicious, I'll probably vote Piratecat.
I'll unvote when he clearly states that tracker should always be chosen and vig should only
be chosen if the PR was unfortunately about to be lynched OR unless someone could come
up with a compelling reason why vig should be used.

VOTE: Piratecat
Show
Last Game Played and Finished:

Newbie 1365 - 2of4 - As Town Cop
Open 487 - Hard Boiled - As Vanilla Townie
Open 485 - Polygamist Mafia - As Mafia Lover
Newbie 1315 - As Mafia Role Cop
Record (Wins-Losses-Draw-Other):

Town - 3-1-0-0
Scum - 2-2-0-0
Others - 0-0-0-0

Return to “Completed Open Games”