Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1300 (isolation #0) » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:10 am

Post by MathBlade »

Respectfully I would disagree Mastina I think that in this case this setup was a bit too townsided.

1) There is no clear path to victory. Assume that not only scum knew who was which of
Town Motion Detector
Town Loud Follower
Town Loud Neapolitan
Town Lazy Roleblocker
VT*6
Mafia Informed Visitor (knows the setup)
Mafia Goon *2

Assume that scum magically know which player is which role. They have to predict which guilty to lose a scum to. The odds of three townies never checking a scum in 3 nights is astronomically low. (Yes some roles don’t check townies I am simplifying this way down)

This means that bussing is 100% off the table.

This setup handcuffs how scum play which is imho a hallmark of a townsided setup.

My general rule of thumb is hard guilties should always be T-2 at most and soft guilties/play kills for the remainder.

2) Loud follower does not have a counter. The counter cannot simply “be good and creative”. Imagine for a moment loud follower and loud roleblocker + goons is the whole setup. Once down to the last goon follow the cop takes place. Roleblocker and follower work in tandem and scum can’t do shit. Scum have to be given a way to prevent follow the cop (follower).

3) Knowledge of how screwed you are and no ability to do anything about it can be rather demoralizing. This has been a trend rather sitewide. Calculasia was also guilty of this too on a worse scale. Informed is not some fix for the amount of power it just tells scum they can’t bus 99% of the time how it’s used here. Unless informed actively helps day play strategy it just tells scum “we gave town a lot of power good luck”.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #1301 (isolation #1) » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:18 am

Post by MathBlade »

Mafia:
1. The Mean Value Theorem (Mafia 1-Shot Strongman)
2. The Chain Rule (Mafia 1-Shot Redirector)
3. Derivatives (Mafia Multitasking Jack of All Trades (Flavor Cop, Doctor))

Town:
1. Limits (Town Doctor)
2. First Derivative Test (Town Odd Night Cop)
3. Second Derivative Test (Town Even Night Rolecop)
4. The Product Rule (Town 2-Shot Roleblocker)
5. The Ratio Test (Town Informed Neighbor) --> Knows flavor name of neighbor
6. The Root Test (Town Informed Neighbor) --> Knows flavor name of neighbor
7. The Intermediate Value Theorem (Town Vanilla)
8. Euler's Method (Town Vanilla)
9. Integration by Partial Fractions (Town Vanilla)
10. Tangent Line (Town Vanilla)

Calculasia was this problem on admittedly a worse scale.

Newbies are balanced with cop + doc + full roleblocker.

Here scum had less power against a split every role cop, full doc, town had the roleblocker and a secret “masonry” if used properly.

Against a one shot strongman and a power that relied on guessing the cop correctly and the flavor cop was useless to someone who had a degree in math.

Informed does not fix problems like OP shit. It just doesn’t.

Informed should help scum with their day play like “You know that there is a one shot and full of a same role” this gives scum a hint to pr fish may be beneficial as town usually thinks those are in conflict.

Or “You are informed there is a N2 role that can create confirmed townies”.

This tells scum they have a time limit and they have to find a certain power before creep gets them. Again, not limiting to play but helpful.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #1302 (isolation #2) » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:38 am

Post by MathBlade »

If town mass claims D1 they win 100% of the time which is another sign of a bad setup.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #1305 (isolation #3) » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 pm

Post by MathBlade »

I owe a more detailed response to this but the gist is:

>> Percentages of individual events are correct. The odds calculator done after is not.

Even if I go with those numbers that’s 90% chance of a guilty. And sure it’s loud but you literally cannot have long term power balance play. Everything in the setup relies on having quick wit and reactions and getting through a moment versus being able to investigate and plan. Elos are won and lost from being able to have a narrative which you can’t build if you’re just surviving.

>> Scum should not be rewarded by the setup for killing scum. I agree. They should not be punished either. Scum being limited in their day play is OP as fuck. It says okay miselim 3 townies while having hands behind your back. It’s doable as I have done it but that doesn’t make it balanced at all.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #1306 (isolation #4) » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:24 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Good scum play is about pulling each player’s strings at exactly the right time and exactly the right moment. Turning each person against another without them noticing. Taking away the ability to use half of those strings is broken. At some point it’s not even about the guilties it’s that you’ll be forced to take a PR to elo in this setup which is almost GG you lose.

Again loud imho is not a counter balancing mechanic.

Knowing your screwed and not able to do a thing about it and having to sacrifice them is not balancing.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #1307 (isolation #5) » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:26 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Furthermore scum not finding any PR is viable in this setup as none of them have any reason to claim here until said guilty. With no investigative power scum not finding a PR until mass claim time is very probable.

I owe a more typed up response but even without bussing I do not see a path for scum to win this.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #1308 (isolation #6) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:53 am

Post by MathBlade »

Oh man I'm due this now the other game is over

We'll go with the numbers you had for the roleblocker for N1.

Odds of Follower not getting a gpuilty is 10/11
Roleblocker not getting a guilty is 10/11
Motion Detector is 93% not getting a guilty (using your formula for simplicity)
Neopolitan has an 8/11 odds of not getting a guilty

So everyone not getting a guilty is 10/11 * 10/11 * 93/100 * 8/11 = 55%

Scum being guiltied outside of their control is 45%

Way too high without any sort of defense.
Each individual has a low chance, but scum are almost certainly guiltied more often than not.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #1309 (isolation #7) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:55 am

Post by MathBlade »

N2 and N3 are slightly more complicated, but the informed of the whole setup just tells scum you're screwed you have to pretend to be a PR never lose and if you're checked expect to die.

Any scum claiming PR with an action will be elimmed within 3 days for not dying so therefore cannot end game.

So yeah this wouldn't pass review for me.
GTKAS -- MathBlade

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”