Mini 1556: Greetings Without Spain (GAME OVER FAREWELL)

Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #560 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:33 am

Post by Equinox »

Hello, friends. I'll be reading throughout the day, but please let me know if there are super important things like claims or to-do lists that I need to know. Otherwise, see you in a bit!
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #572 (isolation #1) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:09 am

Post by Equinox »

This player list is becoming more and more awesome.

Mod: Can we get a deadline extension, please?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #575 (isolation #2) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 am

Post by Equinox »

While I've still got you...

Mod: Is announcing details of the setup a part of your standard moderating procedure?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #577 (isolation #3) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:17 am

Post by Equinox »

Well, then... Someone remind me to get back to this train of thought when we're close to the end of the Day; it's not relevant right now but might be useful later when
things
happen.

Xayzeck, do you feel your approach to this game and your approach to Micro 302 differ in any way? Why?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #593 (isolation #4) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 590, Xayzeck wrote:If RC is good at looking town as scum, and he could very well be scum, why isn't he a bigger lynching priority?
Could you please answer the question I asked you in post 577?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #608 (isolation #5) » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:08 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 594, Xayzeck wrote:Approach in what sense?

I was a lot more careful in 302 on lynching targets, because I was really worried about lynching chosen, but this is my first closed setup game. Also haven't been paying a super lot of attention to this D1, so I was just sheeping.

Why? I've got scumgames if that's why your curious about
Hmm. How would you say you approach your scum games, then?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #615 (isolation #6) » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:15 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 610, Xayzeck wrote:Make a firm read on someone being town, and then interact with other people base on how they read that person. I'd push for inactive people, or people who are scum to the majority. Something along those lines.
Huh. Thanks. I'll look into your scum games once I'm all caught up.

Here's the thing: Your play in Micro 302 is different from your play in this game, and your answer to my question about that difference doesn't make sense. You claim to be cautious in that game because you didn't want to lynch chosen townies, but, if anything, you've been
even more
cautious here. It feels like you don't want to step on any toes, and Rhinox had a point when he said that your posts on Day 1 were too self-centered; you weren't this focused on explaining yourself in the other game.

(This isn't necessarily addressed to Xayzeck.) The big problem I'm having at the moment is that my top scum reads are all in the pool of people who aren't active or old farts (i.e., pre-2011): Aisa, pisskop, and Xayzeck. Lucresia is somewhere around there for her Xayzeck vote as that wagon was building, but I'm a little shaky there because she hasn't done anything else that has been weird. While the odds of all of the scum being in that non-active/new-ish group isn't small necessarily, it makes me a little uncomfortable that that's where my reads are. Eh, something might change in the next 12 pages. For what it's worth, Kcdaspot, ICEninja, Kthxbye, and Rhinox are pretty town, probably in descending order.
In post 614, Kthxbye wrote:replacements come in....still takes forever for them to read 25 pages and post content
You guys post too many walls! It's making the game soooo haaaaaaard to read! Couldn't you guys post, like, fewer one-line responses to everything?!
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #618 (isolation #7) » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:33 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 616, Xayzeck wrote:Why is this a problem? Are you scumreading newer players, or do the people you scumread happen to be newer players?
That's the $1 million question!
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #620 (isolation #8) » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:28 am

Post by Equinox »

A million questions, $1 each! If you purchase them all together, you get 20% off! Limited time only!

:shifty:

I swear there was a hyphen there.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #636 (isolation #9) » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:01 am

Post by Equinox »

How many times have you forgotten that Xayzeck had already claimed so far, ICEninja?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #678 (isolation #10) » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:33 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 653, RedCoyote wrote:
In post 636, Equinox wrote:How many times have you forgotten that Xayzeck had already claimed so far, ICEninja?
The 'nox has definitely been going over some of the finer details of this game. See 209. However, I think you may be mixing up Rhinox's (the other 'nox, lol) 300 as an ICE post. I actually was about to post this discrepancy too before I went back and Ctrl+F'd the game.
Well, more like I had fairly recently seen the post where ICEninja claimed to have forgotten the claim (), so ICEninja forgetting again just jumped out at me and made me wonder if he was "forgetting" on purpose.

That said, I'm sorry for being so slow with catching up; the week ended kind of crappily, but I'm going to marathon this game today wheee!
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #690 (isolation #11) » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Post by Equinox »

Man, things would have been much simpler here if there was a Day vig.

Anyway, good news is easier to deliver than bad news, so let's go with the creepy news first.

The creepy:

Spoiler: Image

Tell me that avatar and that message together is not the creepiest thing in the thread.

The good:

1) Kcdaspot bled town in early Day 1, and I stand by this read. Hard to explain, sort of, but Kcdaspot gets really excitable as town, and his tone here reminded me of an old game where I'd read him as scum for pretty much the same reasons Kthxbye did in this game, and Kcdaspot had been town there. Good times. Anyway, Rubicon has done nothing to change this read and seems to bleed town himself, so this slot's good.

2) Kthxbye is town. I'm pretty sure of this. Apart from his behavior, which is seriously town because no scumbag plays with that level of conviction and passion for pretty much everything, I doubt he would have killed d3x last Night. d3x was reading Kthxbye as town, and there was a significant portion of the rest of you who were not; Kthxbye-scum would have kept d3x alive for at least another Night.

3) Town read of Rhinox still holds, I think. To be honest, I'm a little paranoid because I think Rhinox-scum would go right over my head, but I like that he's been proactive and more or less transparent this game, even if we don't agree on things all the time.

The problems:

3) pisskop's stunt with the hammer was the very definition of scummy. His pursuit of ICEninja while there was a competing wagon being made on Titus, on the other hand, is the opposite. Grrargh. Thus, tonight, I'm going to go read a couple of games of pisskop's to observe him in various habitats and maybe that will provide some insight into what kind of habitat this game was for pisskop.

That said, I really like that RedCoyote went through the game and posted thoughts on each bit. I'll read it in better detail later, particularly because my eyes started glazing over when ICEninja and RedCoyote went at each other. Maybe tomorrow.

4) I've already talked about the difference in Xayzeck's play between this game and Micro 302 and how his answer doesn't make much sense. I had some niggling gut town feelings from reading Xayzeck's more defeatist "welp, I'm getting lynched"-type posts, but those were blown to smithereens with , , and . In the first two linked posts, Xayzeck votes pisskop to appease Kthxbye and then later admits to pisskop that the vote had been to appease Kthxbye. Hell no. Town does not vote a town read to appease someone else. As if that wasn't enough, Xayzeck then votes pisskop again when the wagon on that one swells in the middle of Day 2. Keep in mind that Xayzeck had been very loud about his town read of pisskop for the latter half of Day 1.

That said, I'll hold the vitriol until I've read a scum game of Xayzeck's.

5) I said something earlier about having a problem with most of my scum reads being in a certain pool and my town reads being in another pool. Fortunately, it's less of a problem now! ...because I don't see pisskop and Xayzeck being scum together, and I'm fairly certain we have at least one good player on the scum team. The reason for this is WIFOM, but let's roll with it: d3x was very obviously town but so were other players who were not under pressure as of the end of Day 1 (e.g., Rhinox). If the scum pool were contained within {Aisa, pisskop, PrivateI, Xayzeck}, they would not have needed to target d3x necessarily; Rhinox was more active and had more sway than d3x. I believe that, had the entire scum team been contained in that group, that group would have targeted Rhinox, even if Rhinox was protecting pisskop at the time. pisskop was under fire from pretty much everyone except Rhinox, Rubicon, and Xayzeck, at any rate.

Instead, it's d3x. Crumbs, reads, whatever the reason he died, I'm pretty sure there's at least one player outside of the aforementioned group who is scum. As to who it is, no clue yet! Ihihi.

The rest:

6) PrivateI is a huge, gaping black hole.

7) Lucresia is also a huge, gaping black hole but for an entirely different reason. There's probably a culture clash going on because all ~2005 players sound the same to me (except Cogito Ergo Sum), and here's Lucresia, who sounds very 2005. Since Lucresia isn't here, I'll probably get something from N, which may happen sooner or later. N's method of replacing in gives me some good feelings at the moment.

8) Admittedly, I don't have much of a read on Aisa. Her theory that pisskop didn't want to miss out on a lynch of Xayzeck and thus jumped on it gave me a gut town feeling, but that dissipated by the time she went "Titus might be town and now I'm hesitant," which, given hindsight, didn't sound very good. I can see the merit in Rubicon's (I think it was Rubicon's, though it might be RedCoyote's) case that Aisa was waffly and hesitant in everything, which is exactly what scum would be doing in a slow game. So, uh, I guess that means I need to reread her and evilpacman18.

9) I said earlier that I was bothered by ICEninja forgetting Xayzeck had claimed. The reason for this is typically scum will have claims in mind, especially if they're hunting for power roles (and they are in this game, I guarantee it; see #5). I read ICEninja as town because he forgot Xayzeck claimed. When he announced, just as enthusiastically as the last time, that he'd forgotten, well, there goes the read? Going off what I know of ICEninja in previous games, if he's scum, he's probably not scum with any of the inactives. I'll need to reread ICEninja's posts in light of all the stuff that's been brought up against him, but that will most likely happen after I go through pisskop and Xayzeck.

The setup:

10) It's not yet time! Ask me again later. :D

I thought I'd be done when I was all caught up, but nooo. There's still so much goddamn stuff to read.

tl;dr - Unless reading more changes my mind, I'll most likely vote Xayzeck.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #691 (isolation #12) » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Post by Equinox »

Ugh, actually, I don't think I can process any words anymore, so reading is going to have to wait until morning.

Please don't hammer for at least the next 12 hours.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #697 (isolation #13) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:18 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 693, N wrote:Dammit Equinox this better be good
It will. Maybe. Your mileage may vary!
In post 695, Xayzeck wrote:Would you preferred I opposed the PK wagon when half the town was inactive, and it was either him or Aisa that was going to get lynched? I'd have been happy to stay on Aisa, but given that half the town was dead, and the other half was for PK, I moved to PK. His flip would solve a lot of things, this much you can't disagree with. This is true for my flip too, though.

If I am right about PKtown, then RC is town too. Therefore, scum lie outside of D1 wagons. </obvious>
At this point,
anyone
's flip would solve a lot of things. If you disagreed about the pisskop wagon, you should've been louder about it. All game, I've been getting the sense from you that you strongly believe pisskop is town, but your actions belie your voiced convictions, which bothers me. I can forgive the second time you voted pisskop somewhat considering what you've just said about game activity at the time, but that first time on Day 2 when you did it to appease Kthxbye, it was very weird.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #700 (isolation #14) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:16 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 698, Xayzeck wrote:The appeasing kthx wasn't serious you know, but that has been taken a lot heavier than I thought. I cannot address that to make you think it's less weird, because that was a lighthearted vote. I understand votes are serious and all that, I just wasn't thinking that at the time.

I pushed for the Aisa wagon early D2, and that gained some support, but not long after the wagon shifted to pkop. Given that half the town was inactive, I decided to settle on a pkop lynch as well, since majority of town was scumreading him and there's no other feasible wagon. I joined the pkop wagon because I felt his flip would spur activity, town or scum. Voting your townread is strange and inconsistent, thus scummy, but I think nobody has acknowledged the fact that going against the lynch at the time wouldn't be very helpful to town.
Mafia is serious business all day e'ryday

Seriously, though, you gave no indication that you were joking around, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding where you're coming from with regards to not going against the lynch of the Day because that just seems so passive. I mean, if y'all suddenly demanded Rubicon's blood right now, I'd rather bitch out every single person participating in that silliness even if the game was on Death's door than vote Rubicon. With you, it's just... "meh."

So, Xayzeck. You're King for the Day. Who would you execute and why?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #702 (isolation #15) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:10 am

Post by Equinox »

I'm always goodposting.

Anyway, apparently, Xayzeck's tone in this game is just different because Xayzeck-scum sounds more similarly to Micro 302 than in this game, at least from the two scum games I've checked. The tragedy is that Xayzeck actually sounds more like town in those two games than he ever has here, so now I'm confused because
what if it's actually RedCoyote
and a huge mistake is about to happen.

I'll be around up until about an hour before deadline to entertain any crazy notions and will in the meantime read some pisskop and RedCoyote. If nothing happens in the next 12 hours or so, I'll drop the vote on Xayzeck and make it L-1.

If you haven't barfed your reads all over the thread yet, please do so in your next post. Much appreciated!

Well, actually, I really, really want reads vomit from N and Xayzeck, so if you two could post everything that's on your mind, then that'd be wonderful, too!
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #713 (isolation #16) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 710, N wrote:
In post 701, ICEninja wrote:For the record, Equinox is goodposting.
I actually disliked that post. It's all like "you play differently than me, so that's scummy!" I mean, she even points that out but hitoshrug makes it okay!
Rolling over and lynching your town read instead of your scum read when there's a wagon on the former and not the latter
is
scummy. The :hitoshrug: was at Xayzeck's explanation that his initial pisskop vote to 'appease Kthxbye' was a joke.
In post 711, N wrote:
In post 702, Equinox wrote:I really, really want reads vomit from N
I have never reads vomited in my life.
You should! It's cathartic.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #714 (isolation #17) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 704, Xayzeck wrote:
In post 700, Equinox wrote:So, Xayzeck. You're King for the Day. Who would you execute and why?
What?

I'm leaning Aisa though. pac isn't towning it up since replacing in.

VOTE: pac
In post 702, Equinox wrote:Anyway, apparently, Xayzeck's tone in this game is just different because Xayzeck-scum sounds more similarly to Micro 302 than in this game, at least from the two scum games I've checked. The tragedy is that Xayzeck actually sounds more like town in those two games than he ever has here, so now I'm confused because what if it's actually RedCoyote and a huge mistake is about to happen.
And what if we're both town? You've played with RC before, yes? What's he like as scum?
In post 705, RedCoyote wrote:
In post 676, ICEninja wrote:Your "alternate world" thing isn't even remotely close to reality. My point was his scum slip explicitly
did not
make sense unless they were both town. Which is probably not true to begin with. You accused me of role fishing. I did absolutely no such thing, and now that I've proven that I haven't and very handily disputed your claim, you're trying to find another way of painting what I did as scummy.
Okay, okay. Let me put it yet another way. Leave alone town/scum, scumslip/not scumslip, agree/disagree. Whom was it that introduced the possibility of masons?
ICE 676 wrote:I also have been
emphatically
clear about how I believe your slot to be scum should Titus flip town, unless Xay is scum. Which he might be, and it would be awesome if he is, but I have my (once again, very transparent) suspicion that he won't, and that lynching him today gets us a scum kill tomorrow. I tried to get you lynched today to no avail.
You're completely changing the argument because you know you've been caught with your hand in the cookie jar. Let's be real simple here. You voted Titus. You never really suspected Titus. You voted Titus with the oh-so-apparent "IF Titus flips town... pisskop and Rhinox are next!" The next day rolls around... You vote Xay. You act like the town is "forcing you" to vote Xay with the oh-so-apparent "IF Xay flips town... RC and Rubicon are next (oh, and Kthx could be scum too *wink wink*)!"

Really, the more I read you, the more I think you're just ecstatic over the prospect of lynching Xay and me and Rhinox and Kthx and Rubicon in no particular order. Whomever happens to be the flavor of the day.

---
In post 678, Equinox wrote:Well, more like I had fairly recently seen the post where ICEninja claimed to have forgotten the claim (), so ICEninja forgetting again just jumped out at me and made me wonder if he was "forgetting" on purpose.
Ah, okay, so he did "forget" twice. I could've sworn he said it before, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

What's ICE's response to this, E? It's obvious he's checked in multiple times since you've brought it up.

---
Rubicon 681 wrote:This post is my #1 objection to the Xay wagon. This post is fucking terrible.

pacman: Please give me your top 3 scum reads w/ reasons. Xay, ___, and ___?
I agree with the dislike of this post. It's almost like he looked at the last few posts for whichever wagon was gaining traction, did a quick skim of that player in ISO (or just piggybacked on what others had to say about him), and threw down a vote.

I especially don't like this little tidbits like "oooooh Xay claim VT" to make it sound like it was some sort of huge revelation.

---
ICE 682 wrote:Xay's flip impacts my read of RC, not Asia/pacman.
Uh, when someone flips, that impacts
all
of my reads.

---
Equinox 690 wrote:Instead, it's d3x. Crumbs, reads, whatever the reason he died, I'm pretty sure there's at least one player outside of the aforementioned group who is scum. As to who it is, no clue yet! Ihihi.
This is pretty observant, but not particularly helpful. I mean, what group would this really eliminate in your eyes? Xay/pisskop/Aisa? Xay/pisskop/PrivateI?

---
Xay 695 wrote:If I am right about PKtown, then RC is town too. Therefore, scum lie outside of D1 wagons. </obvious>
You should be voting someone. You may think it's pointless, but the wagon on you is held together with scotch tape and bubble gum. My dislike of ICE is growing, not ceding. N and fitz are so useless that I probably wouldn't be opposed to seeing either of them hang either.
Xay 698 wrote:The appeasing kthx wasn't serious you know, but that has been taken a lot heavier than I thought. I cannot address that to make you think it's less weird, because that was a lighthearted vote. I understand votes are serious and all that, I just wasn't thinking that at the time.
No. I agree with Equinox here, and I brought it up myself when I made my big post. I don't know what you were trying to do with your pisskop vote, but I cannot think of any protown reason for it.

My guess? I think you could sense how emotional and passionate Kthx was about voting pisskop, and you thought he wouldn't bat an eye if you sheeped him. When he did his strange 180, you backed off immediately, and now you're trying to act like it was this big, funny joke vote. The problem is that no one is laughing.
In post 713, Equinox wrote:
In post 710, N wrote:
In post 701, ICEninja wrote:For the record, Equinox is goodposting.
I actually disliked that post. It's all like "you play differently than me, so that's scummy!" I mean, she even points that out but hitoshrug makes it okay!
Rolling over and lynching your town read instead of your scum read when there's a wagon on the former and not the latter
is
scummy. The :hitoshrug: was at Xayzeck's explanation that his initial pisskop vote to 'appease Kthxbye' was a joke.
In post 711, N wrote:
In post 702, Equinox wrote:I really, really want reads vomit from N
I have never reads vomited in my life.
You should! It's cathartic.
EBWOP:

Rolling over and lynching your town read instead of your scum read when there's a wagon on the former and not the latter is scummy.
The :hitoshrug: was at Xayzeck's explanation that his initial pisskop vote to 'appease Kthxbye' was a joke.

Actually, just saw Xayzeck's post on this just now about the Aisa wagon being a thing when he hopped to pisskop, so let me get back to this later when I've got my spreadsheet.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #717 (isolation #18) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Post by Equinox »

Goddamn Q+.
In post 704, Xayzeck wrote:And what if we're both town? You've played with RC before, yes? What's he like as scum?
Well, if you and pisskop were both town, then we were royally fucked from the start. It just sounds statistically unlikely that there would be three wagons springing on 3 people scummy enough that they'd get large wagons on them and yet they're all town. It doesn't help that the both of you have done some scummy shit and then some town-looking stuff.

A reliable tell with RedCoyote is that if he looks unlynchable, he's probably scum. I've seen him under pressure as town but have yet to see him under pressure as scum, so it could be worth comparing him here to the other two games. It's just... really easy to procrastinate on because 'word vomit' is definitely RedCoyote's thing.

Ugh. I mean, if the scum team was something weird like {Aisa, PrivateI,
[insert the last experienced scumbag here]
}, then it's possible that all 3 wagons sprang on town because the other two were either barely present or simply absent for much of the Day.

Let me think on it?
In post 705, RedCoyote wrote:What's ICE's response to this, E? It's obvious he's checked in multiple times since you've brought it up.
ICEninja said he thought he'd forgotten once before, which turned out to be true, and then he went and forgot/remembered again right after your post.

After I'd said it was a town tell. :P
In the same post, RedCoyote wrote:This is pretty observant, but not particularly helpful. I mean, what group would this really eliminate in your eyes? Xay/pisskop/Aisa? Xay/pisskop/PrivateI?
Not so much as eliminate but give me a group to focus on: {ICEninja, Kthxbye, N, Rhinox, Rubicon?}. Throw out Kthxbye and Rubicon for town reads and there's 3 names. Rhinox I have a town read on, and the only reason I didn't toss him out, too, is paranoia and lack of knowledge as to what Rhinox-scum looks like. So, theoretically, I should be setting my lasers on ICEninja, since N will probably take care of himself eventually.

Might be more productive than setting lasers on Xayzeck, actually. Though to be honest the idea that I'd need to wade through walls from both of you that are like 1v1 is just daunting. :S

Preview edit: Heh.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #722 (isolation #19) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Post by Equinox »

12 hours to go, L-1.

Vote: Xayzeck
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #739 (isolation #20) » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:12 am

Post by Equinox »

I'm at a conference until Sunday, so no heavy lifting until then.

To start with, though, ICEninja, why are you town?
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #798 (isolation #21) » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Post by Equinox »

This post is not a counterclaim.

I hate you all.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #814 (isolation #22) » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 808, Rubicon wrote:Next time you're around, could you say what you were thinking about the moderator listing info about the setup?
Yeah. I was waiting until evilpacman18 had returned and answered all the outstanding questions against him, so now that he has, this can happen.

At this point, this isn't new information; people have already speculated that the public setup information was needed for balance. This is basically evidence for why I agree and believe that to be the case.

The purpose of the question in was to ascertain whether Bicephalous Bob subscribed to the hitogoroshi style of moderation or not, as the latter would mean that there's an irregularity in the setup. As it happens, this isn't Bicephalous Bob's standard operating procedure. I don't know if the announcement regarding the setup was a recommendation by the Normal Review Group, and it's something I didn't see in the 100 or so setups I collected in Little Italy between December 2010 and October 2012. However, two things lead me to believe either that such a recommendation happened or that the reviewers allowed the moderator to make some setup information public: This is something that theme game reviewers occasionally recommend because it's needed to balance the game, and, within the context of Normal games, there was an issue with a Large Normal that ended in March 2012 (New York 145) where there were too many non-standard roles and there had been concerns while the game was ongoing that the fact that this wasn't announced had the potential to affect the game.

That said, to give you an idea of what does and does not warrant public information: Last year, Mini 1326 was run with 13 players and two factions, but the mafia team consisted of only 2 members. There had been no announcement there. What's different, though, is that the power roles that had been used in that game had no modifiers and there were no atypical mechanics (i.e., no Day talk). That said, considering the amount of power that's been claimed already, we're more likely looking at a full scum team.

I've been skimming the past three days, so I'm going to comment on just the claims now and get back to the rest of the material in a few hours once I've caught up properly.

For the purposes of this part of the post, I'm going to assume RedCoyote is a commuter as he claims: Judging from the presence of a hider, protective role, and tracker and the claim of a commuter, Bicephalous Bob may have been designing this game around the theme of hide-and-seek. Unfortunately, there are two possibilities under this Hide-and-Seek Theory, which doesn't help with determining RedCoyote's alignment at the present:

1) A scum-aligned commuter would make sense with a town tracker if the aim of the setup was to have both sides playing hide-and-seek against each other. Town hides from scum, and scum hides from tracker. A town-aligned doctor would also make sense here in the sense that a town doctor would "hide" someone from scum seeking that player. Furthermore, with a scum-aligned commuter, the scum would naturally make the assumption of a second anti-town faction; Bicephalous Bob specifically mentioning that there is only one anti-town faction would have been for scum's benefit.

2) Commuters are more likely to be town (according to the wiki). A town-aligned commuter would make sense if the aim of the setup was to have town playing hide-and-seek against scum. If we look at the game this way, there cannot be a doctor in the setup; a scum-aligned doctor wouldn't make sense given that the moderator has already taken out the lulz factor of putting one in, which would mean evilpacman18 is lying through his teeth. Given that people were putting evilpacman18 in their lynch lists, it's not unlikely that he saw the blurb and decided to claim doctor to draw out any counterclaims for the "standard protective role."

Basically, I'm pretty sure we actually do have a commuter. Honestly, option 1 makes more conceptual sense to me, but that line in the wiki bothers me. Site search shows precedence in Little Italy for all commuters being town except for one third-party commuter, as well, counting only the games that were run after Normalcy reviews were required: Mini 1400 (1-shot), Mini 1444 (near-vanilla with town-aligned commuter being the sole power, and now I've got a bro-crush on Voidedmafia), and Mini 1454 (2-shot).

Argh. Anyway, I need to read this thread, but have fun with this harebrained theory in the meantime.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #820 (isolation #23) » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Post by Equinox »

Hey, N, from your experience with balancing setups, what are the possibilities for each of the following things being true in this game:

1) Scums of Unusual Size?
2) Town having all four of 2-shot commuter, doctor, compulsive non-consecutive hider, and tracker?

A lot of things are not making sense right now.

Probably the thing that makes the least amount of sense is why evilpacman18-scum would not kill and then fake a doctor claim.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #825 (isolation #24) » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Post by Equinox »

Mod: Who were the reviewers of this game?

Having read through the thread, I agree that evilpacman18 claimed in possibly the crappiest way possible, but it still makes no sense to me why he'd claim when he did. I guess he could have done it as a hail-Mary sort of thing where he'd try to get his counterclaim lynched first before he went down, and the thing that went wrong was ICEninja not dying, like Rubicon suggests. It doesn't seem likely that scum would have targeted ICEninja, though, considering the heat he was getting toward the end of Day 2. Targeting me doesn't make much sense, either, unless nearly everyone else had poor reads and scum is someone like Rhinox who decided to shoot whomever.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #826 (isolation #25) » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 824, N wrote:that doesn't sound horrible to me, but the public information is weird. Removing either the Doctor or Commuter from that scenario makes it quite scumsided.
Yeah, your suggestion works as a closed setup.

It's possible that the public information has nothing to do with balance, actually. Bicephalous Bob could have listed the roles that he did to forestall people outguessing him based on Normal guidelines when he has more than one thing in this game that hasn't been explicitly whitelisted; neither the commuter role nor the non-consecutive-target modifier are listed. This doesn't explain why "exactly one anti-town faction" was needed, though.

Haha, the dead people are probably pissed off at all this setup speculation.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #901 (isolation #26) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:24 am

Post by Equinox »

I'm sorry, everyone. This week has been absolutely crazy. I'll get on this later this afternoon. For what it's worth, I wouldn't say speed/easiness of a wagon would be a good metric at this point, since scum are forced to bus vigorously given that the rest of the game is going to be process-of-elimination. I think we should wait for evilpacman18 to come back and spill all of his deepest, darkest secrets, though.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #911 (isolation #27) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 pm

Post by Equinox »

Looking at just the makeup of the wagons, the idk wagon sure looks more enticing than the evilpacman18 wagon does. I've been stuck on this paranoia that the doctor claim is town, but evilpacman18 stalling the confession of his sins sure makes the paranoia feel delusional.

And I'm sorry for being shitty at catching up.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #938 (isolation #28) » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Post by Equinox »

Yeah, unfortunately, it was a hammer.

Sorry, evilpacman18. My intention was to pressure you because there was no way of knowing if you were busy or just lurking.

Don't have much to add at this point. Good luck, ICEninja.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #992 (isolation #29) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:07 am

Post by Equinox »

Well played, scum. Thanks for the game, everyone!
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #1002 (isolation #30) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 am

Post by Equinox »

To be fair, it would have been really obvious that the hider role was not town given that the moderator had announced that there was only one anti-town faction; there was no other function for a mafia hider. RedCoyote claiming commuter was a stroke of genius and threw off that aspect of setup speculation.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”