Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Mini 1584: Neuroscience Mafia - GAME OVER

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Post by Kagami »

Welcome to Kagami's neuroscience mafia, where both learning and killing are fun!

Our class begins with 12 students (you guys and girls), eager to learn about neurons and the brain. Among you, however, are some not-so-goodnicks who plan to get As by killing everyone else. O no! This is an unusual sort of class where that kind of thing is allowed. Lynching is also cool, so you can do that too.

There will also be exciting facts from neuroscience included in the vote counts which have absolutely nothing to do with the game of mafia. No matter how academically adept you are, the only way to get an A in kagami's class is to fulfill your win condition. You can get an A posthumously, too, because that's just the kind of magnanimous instructor kagami is.

All dead people who aren't on the winning team get a B-, because of grade inflation. No one fails at anything but being alive.

Now, let's learn Neuroscience! ...and lynch people.

Spoiler: Alive and Victorious!
Living PlayersElyse (replaces Scarab) -
Werewolf Tracker

Fat_Tony -
Werewolf

Spoiler: deaded
I see dead peoplehavingfitz (replaces Garruk Relentless) -
Mafia Goon

Medium Double Double -
Town Mason

Konowa -
Vanilla Townie

Thor665 (replaces Lowercase) -
Mafia Roleblocker

hiraki -
Vanilla Townie

BlueBloodedToffee -
Vanilla Townie

fferyllt (replaces Cabd) -
Vanilla Townie

Aneninen -
Town Mason

zMuffinMan -
Town Mason

AngryPidgeon -
Vanilla Townie

Sample VT Role PM:

Hello kagami,

You are a
Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

You have no abilities other than your voice and your vote.

You win when all threats to the Town are eliminated and at least one Town-aligned player is still alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Please confirm your role by PM. The game will begin when 10/12 players have confirmed.
Last edited by Kagami on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:38 am, edited 45 times in total.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Post by Kagami »

General rules

(Stolen from N)

1. Follow the Forum Rules and Guidelines. If you’re unsure whether something you’re going to do will break a rule, ask me before you do it.
2. The only places outside of this thread you are permitted to talk about this game are in mod-provided QuickTopics. Otherwise,
do not talk about this game outside of the thread while the game is ongoing, even if you are dead.

3. Don’t quote private mod communication – this includes, but is not limited to, role PMs, night actions and anything posted in a QuickTopic. You can paraphrase these things, but don’t quote them.
4. Play to your win condition (play to win.)
5. If someone is modkilled, their alignment will change to “neutral survivor” and there will be no chance of them winning the game, even if their original faction wins.
6. I reserve the right to change the rules at any time, including while the game is ongoing, although there will be a warning in-thread if this happens.
7. Personal remarks and insults are not welcome. There is no problem with criticizing how others play in this game, but as soon as it goes beyond that line there will be one warning before I force-replace you.

Activity rules

1. If a player does not post in the game thread for more than 48 hours, they will be prodded. After this prod, they are given a 24-hour grace period to make a post before I start searching for their replacement.
2. If a player receives three or more prods, I reserve the right to search for their replacement at my discretion.
3. Please post V/LA (Vacation/Limited Access) notices in-thread at least 24 hours in advance of them starting.
4. Game days will be at most 2 weeks long, unless a replacement is required within the last 48 hours of a game day.
5. Game nights will last 48 hours.
6. Please keep an eye on your messages for PMs from the mod.

Voting rules

1. When making votes, use the vote or bold tags. Votes not made using either of these will not be recorded.
2. When voting, please put your vote at the beginning of a new line. While there is no penalty for not doing so, you put yourself at peril of the mod missing your vote when you don’t.
3. Unvoting before voting again is not mandatory.
4. If one player receives a simple majority of the votes, they are that day’s lynch and any further voting/unvoting won’t count.
5. After a lynch has been made, all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post until I lock the thread. This is the “twilight” phase.
6. If a majority of votes is not reached by deadline, there will be no lynch for that day.
7. Anybody can vote not to lynch by saying VOTE: No Lynch.
8. Dead players can make one “bah” post after their death. This may not contain any information relevant to the game. Once the mod has declared the game over, anybody can start posting in the thread again.

Setup rules

1. This game has a day start.
2. This is a normal game and follows the guidelines on the wiki page.
3. This game features daychat.
Last edited by Kagami on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Post by Kagami »

The game has begun!
Last edited by Kagami on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Post by Kagami »

Vote Count 1.1
Day one has begun!

Not Voting(12):
Aneninen, Konowa, BlueBloodedToffee, Lowercase, zMuffinMan, Garruk Relentless, Scarab, Hiraki, Medium Double Double, Fat_Tony, reinoe, Cabd

With twelve alive, it takes seven to lynch.

(expired on 2014-07-05 22:00:28)

Spoiler: neuroscience through history
As early as 7000 years ago, humans successfully performed crude brain surgeries by boring holes into the skull. Ancient Egyptians, as early as 5000 years ago, created writings that indicate they understood many symptoms of brain damage (though they believed that memories and the soul were stored in the heart)

It wasn't until Hippocrates (~400 BC in Greece) that the idea of the brain being the seat of human intelligence gained much popularity. He correctly surmised that the brain had an important role in sensation and intelligence because of all the nerves that connected the sensory organs to the brain.

Around 200 AD, the Greek physician Galen noticed a major difference between two parts of the brain, the cerebellum (the bally thing near the brainstem) is hard and the cerebrum (the wrinkly part that we usually think of) is soft. He figured that the cerebellum must therefore command the muscles, while the cerebrum is soft so the sense and memory can be imprinted onto it. The reasoning is pretty silly, but the conclusion is pretty much right.

He also believed that the fluid filled ventricles of the brain were where sensations are registered which is pretty much completely wrong. In any case, people stuck with Galen's view for around 1500 years.
Last edited by Kagami on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scarab
Scarab
Goon
Scarab
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Post by Scarab »

first

By "first", I really mean

Vote: Cabd

If you see "first" in any of my other posts, consider the possibility that I typoed that.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:21 pm

Post by Hiraki »

Vote: Konowa

Because I know you know that I know why you know that I know why that I know you want to vote me but I know you know that I know that I am voting you
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Post by Cabd »

Fuck RVS, I wanna setup spec with nati.

12 players instead of 13, what does that mean to you?
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Cabd »

Muffin's only invited if he's town.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Scarab
Scarab
Goon
Scarab
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Post by Scarab »

Fuck setup spec, vote yourself.

Also, I have an idea or two or three of why 12 players might have been chosen, but discussing it now is
bad
. So yeah, vote yourself.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Post by Cabd »

Spoiler: If you are scum do not click this
I'm starting with setup spec because of how logical and play-driven kagami preferes her games/stuff we've discussed on sitechat before during tales games; and my understanding of the NRC.

12 players gives me three initial theories:

1: We''re looking at a stacked town, since we effectively have one less mislynch to LYLO, and the setup is 3-9
2: Town has the normal amount of power, and scum is something like goon/goon/traitor; making 3-2.5
3: Multiball 2:2:8 setup with powerhouse town, which while possible would be screwy as fuck and why drop town to 8 instead of 9?

Those are in order of my opinion of most to least likely. What does this mean, setup wise? I feel like if we get an early scum lynch (day 1 or 2) it miiiiight just break the game open if we massclaim before LYLO.

P-edit: Good luck, self-voting is nati's thing and I am not her~
Show

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Post by Cabd »

Also your name is not muffin or nati, you're not allowed to click the spoiler anyways.
Show

Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Post by Hiraki »

You'd think that a traitor scenario is more probable than multiball?

I'm not going to pretend that I'm good at setup speculation but isn't multiball more common than a traitor setup?
Scarab
Scarab
Goon
Scarab
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Post by Scarab »

Most of the plausible reasons for 12 players instead of 13 come from the town side and not the scum side. Best-case scenario with setup spec this early is a large collection of theories and nothing to do with them. Worst-case scenario is (accidental?) rolefishing. Stop discussing it.
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Post by reinoe »

Hello, it looks like RVS is mostly skipped. Scarab, what should we discuss?
Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 11, Hiraki wrote:You'd think that a traitor scenario is more probable than multiball?

I'm not going to pretend that I'm good at setup speculation but isn't multiball more common than a traitor setup?
Given who the mod is yes.
Show

Scarab
Scarab
Goon
Scarab
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Post by Scarab »

In post 13, reinoe wrote:Scarab, what should we discuss?
We should discuss why you need me to give you a topic for discussion.
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Post by reinoe »

In post 15, Scarab wrote:
In post 13, reinoe wrote:Scarab, what should we discuss?
We should discuss why you need me to give you a topic for discussion.
I'm no good at leaving the RVS so I figured you'd know what to do discuss next. I definitely understand not going into rolefishing. There doesn't seem to be much else to go on in order to get the game started. Could you elaborate on why you're asking people to vote themselves or was that suggestion just for Cabd?

Selkie
Scarab
Scarab
Goon
Scarab
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Post by Scarab »

See, something like wondering why I asked people (or maybe just Cabd??) to self-vote is something you could have asked about without asking someone else for a topic of discussion. Why didn't you ask me that earlier? Did you not find it worth asking before or did it feel inappropriate to ask or something? I was telling Cabd to self-vote as a tongue-in-cheek way of saying "No, your idea is bad."

I think the most alignment-indicative thing so far this game is possibly , but I haven't figured out yet what to make of it. I find it interesting that Hiraki chose that aspect of Cabd's speculation to post about while not touching the rest of it, not offering any of his own possibilities, and not touching on the subject of whether or not setup spec was good at that point. Do you think it's potentially alignment-indicative? If so, which alignment do you think it points to? (Anyone else, feel free to answer that too. I'm too stupid to come to a conclusion about it.)
Garruk Relentless
Garruk Relentless
Goon
Garruk Relentless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Post by Garruk Relentless »

VOTE: Garruk Relentless

First off, the purpose of joining this game as Garruk was distinctly as a teaching hydra--so SSK is taking a lead this game, I'll be in the background and mostly making sure SSK posts and such.

However, I'll indulge right now.

Spoiler: Breaking the game
I don't wanna go too deep right now but I am not a vanilla townie, and it gives me a fairly strong inkling as to the setup I think, Cabd.

I have two games based on Kagami's MO and the 12p nature of this game I wanna focus on. The first is Rob13's normal last year--which I feel is going to be the closest parallel to this game on site, and the other is this recent 12p mini on MTGS. Now, these might be very odd games to pull chords from, but they're what I immediately bring to mind--I'm fairly certain we're looking at 9-2-1 at the moment and we have an...excess of night actions.

Now, where was I? Kagami is a very mechanical player when it comes to setups--she loves them in a similar way to me, but she keeps a mechanism to them reminiscent of FakeGod(who I feel has a lack of respect for player behavior and focuses purely on a numbers game). Kagami isn't as much into numbers as she is into actions, per say and a load of light night actions make sense--in such a format where we will have a glut of weak abilities, that means by definition a lot of protective/blocking actions and thus it's easy to ratchet up the kill count and add an SK. This game was likely built around one kill a night with a single additional kill one of the nights due to protective etc actions. Multiball makes little sense to me mostly due to the Review Group being pansies, especially given all the people who would allow a multiball game to exist are currently pushed to the sidelines in the NRG meta sense(i've discussed that with you before I think).

I would propose a setup that I would think fits Kagami's inclinations, but I'm unsure how much we want that out in the open on page one.

Did that, um, go anywhere?
(I actually find it odd you consider multiball before Serial Killer, by the way)
Hydra of MafiaSSK and Natirasha
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Post by reinoe »

In post 17, Scarab wrote:See, something like wondering why I asked people (or maybe just Cabd??) to self-vote is something you could have asked about without asking someone else for a topic of discussion. Why didn't you ask me that earlier? Did you not find it worth asking before or did it feel inappropriate to ask or something? I was telling Cabd to self-vote as a tongue-in-cheek way of saying "No, your idea is bad."

I think the most alignment-indicative thing so far this game is possibly , but I haven't figured out yet what to make of it. I find it interesting that Hiraki chose that aspect of Cabd's speculation to post about while not touching the rest of it, not offering any of his own possibilities, and not touching on the subject of whether or not setup spec was good at that point. Do you think it's potentially alignment-indicative? If so, which alignment do you think it points to? (Anyone else, feel free to answer that too. I'm too stupid to come to a conclusion about it.)
The reason I didn't ask is because it didn't occur to me to ask.

ninja'd!!!!
Re: Hiraki's speculation, that's a pretty cool observation about what he picked up on. There are two options how I see it. He just thinks the idea of a mafia traitor is interesting or he knows the setup and his eyes were drawn to that option.

Selkie
Konowa
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:17 pm

Post by Konowa »

Trying to outguess the mod on page one? Awesome!!

Vote: Hiraki
How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder,
without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better,
and not the world about them?
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Post by Aneninen »

My dice are rolled.

VOTE: Fat_Tony

Reason: that's the only username containing an understrike ( _ ).

I'm reading your posts as soon as I can.
Fat_Tony
Fat_Tony
Goon
Fat_Tony
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Post by Fat_Tony »

Just arrived. Word up home slices. Was going to vote Garruk because the chain veil is doing nasty stuff to you bro and I can't trust you but looks like we skipped the whole RVS thing and got straight to brass tacks.

Don't like not having a vote anywhere though. Someone do something scummy so I can vote you!

Question for everyone: How experienced are you at the game both on- and off-forum?
Fatter, but still not Tony...

Record as town: 2-4 (33%)
Record as scum: 1-0 from 1 games (Mini 1584, werewolf). But I'm totally town this time, I promise.
Fat_Tony
Fat_Tony
Goon
Fat_Tony
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Post by Fat_Tony »

Also Aneninen OMGUS :P
Fatter, but still not Tony...

Record as town: 2-4 (33%)
Record as scum: 1-0 from 1 games (Mini 1584, werewolf). But I'm totally town this time, I promise.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

Hello to all.
In post 22, Fat_Tony wrote:
Question for everyone: How experienced are you at the game both on- and off-forum?
I have only played two newbie games, this is my first game outside of Road to Rome. Therefore, A LOT of this set-up talk is extremely confusing for me and I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Apologies now for any ridiculous statements/thoughts that I make that make no sense whatsoever.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”