Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1850 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:41 am

Post by Slandaar »

Slandaar's reads on D1:
In post 594, Slandaar wrote:
In post 587, Salamence20 wrote:Drak, Molla/LQ, Whisper.

I had the third as you.

Your post instills confidence in me.

Whisper/Drak/GG

You good Sala :]

2/3 aint bad. D2 it should be apparent I knew the 2 were right and the 3rd slot was debateable.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1851 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:34 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I was expressing suspicion of you at a time when there was no pressure at all on you, and by the time I was yo uwere clearly a townread of someone.

Yes, I could definitely have done better aka lynching Drakced d2, but considering that my vote was on a different scum who would eventually endgame town, I don't think I failed too bad.

If it makes you feel better, I was reading your reads and you definitely helped clue me in that my initial townread on GG was off base.
Drakced
Drakced
Goon
Drakced
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1852 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:24 am

Post by Drakced »

Wow, I was sort of expecting a loss at this point, but yeh!

Good game everyone, thanks for modding ChaosOmega!
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1853 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:41 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

Thanks ChaosOmega, for letting me play.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1854 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Post by Slandaar »

In post 1851, RadiantCowbells wrote:I was expressing suspicion of you at a time when there was no pressure at all on you, and by the time I was yo uwere clearly a townread of someone.

You were the fifth vote on me.

I then claimed and you unvoted.

Your reads were not anything like what you imply.
In post 1851, RadiantCowbells wrote:
Yes, I could definitely have done better aka lynching Drakced d2, but considering that my vote was on a different scum who would eventually endgame town, I don't think I failed too bad.

I mean that is pretty bad, couldn't be much worse. You fail to vote your scumread which you are confident in who is possibly being lynched over someone who had zero chance of being lynched. You failed badly. (you didn't read Drakced scum at that point lets be honest)
In post 1851, RadiantCowbells wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I was reading your reads and you definitely helped clue me in that my initial townread on GG was off base.

My cases were good. The question really is how you failed to agree with and push them over gut which won't lynch anyone.
Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1855 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:12 am

Post by Slandaar »

To elaborate on the point of my posts :]

You didn't play well, your reads were not as good as you suggest, you seem to think your reads were way better than in fact they were. Your posting shows a lack of understanding.

Anyone can say 'I thought X' but if you don't write it down then you clearly didn't think X strongly enough to put your neck on the line for that thought. Suggesting you did is actually quite ridiculous. What you should instead be doing is working out why, when you have two absolutely majestic cases on players you think are scum, you didn't help lynch said players. (The one on Drakced is the best case you will ever see - you can't have a more stonewall case bar PR shenanigans/slips etc)
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1856 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:39 am

@Slandaar, I'm always looking for advice on my game. What do you think I could improve on and what do you think I could work on not doing as much and maybe what do you think I could add to my game?

Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1857 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:22 am

Post by Slandaar »

Sure, I feel that learning to claim at L-1 when you have a role which is confirmable would be a very good addition to your arsenal. If you do not understand why - it's because it prevents your lynch and gives the town the opportunity to lynch scum that day instead of you. :]

I couldn't give you a sensible answer really without writing an essay which I don't feel like doing. If you think something is scummy make sure people don't do it in day to day life first - quite a simple thing but effective. Example: forgetting something is not scum lying or making up reasons etc.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1858 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:57 am

In post 1857, Slandaar wrote:Sure, I feel that learning to claim at L-1 when you have a role which is confirmable would be a very good addition to your arsenal. If you do not understand why - it's because it prevents your lynch and gives the town the opportunity to lynch scum that day instead of you. :]

I couldn't give you a sensible answer really without writing an essay which I don't feel like doing. If you think something is scummy make sure people don't do it in day to day life first - quite a simple thing but effective. Example: forgetting something is not scum lying or making up reasons etc.

Thanks you for that. I have played a few more games since I was voted off from this one so I am aware that claiming when you are put at L-1 is the correct play, but I understand you are not really following all my games which is expected. In all honestly I had site flaked a while back and I was in 3 games at the time and I was voted off all three of them because of it. I have since learned a lot and my game has improved a lot -not to say that I am even good at this game, but I have improved and I now take my game much more seriously.

Your advice of making sure people do not do things in mafia that they do in rl is good solid advice and is a fundamental part of reading people. I would say one of the ways I have improved my game is by reading whether or not people are not making contradictions to their character/personality and if they do this, they are usually scum. My home site is actually a personality website and it is where I have played the most games. It mostly has to do with pop-psychology stuff, but I would say my particular bent to how I approach the game has more to do with the perspective of what is more accepted by the psychological community (God know's I have spent enough time with psychologist to actually have an understanding of why they do what they do.) I also must say that I can totally see where you are coming from and it is really good advice when you say to not focus on what is scummy behavior by itself, but rather what is scummy for a particular individual. I would say prolly the best advice you gave me here is to not make up reasons for things. This is key for me because I way too often will defend a prior point I have made thereby contradicting a previous comment I have made, but to be truthful, both examples you gave are things to work on for me personally.

Again, thank you.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1859 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:57 pm

In post 1858, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 1857, Slandaar wrote:Sure, I feel that learning to claim at L-1 when you have a role which is confirmable would be a very good addition to your arsenal. If you do not understand why - it's because it prevents your lynch and gives the town the opportunity to lynch scum that day instead of you. :]

Thanks you for that. I have played a few more games since I was voted off from this one so I am aware that claiming when you are put at L-1 is the correct play, but I understand you are not really following all my games which is expected. In all honestly I had site flaked a while back and I was in 3 games at the time and I was voted off all three of them because of it. I have since learned a lot and my game has improved a lot -not to say that I am even good at this game, but I have improved and I now take my game much more seriously.

Your advice of making sure people do not do things in mafia that they do in rl is good solid advice and is a fundamental part of reading people. I would say one of the ways I have improved my game is by reading whether or not people are not making contradictions to their character/personality and if they do this, they are usually scum. My home site is actually a personality website and it is where I have played the most games. It mostly has to do with pop-psychology stuff, but I would say my particular bent to how I approach the game has more to do with the perspective of what is more accepted by the psychological community (God know's I have spent enough time with psychologist to actually have an understanding of why they do what they do.) I also must say that I can totally see where you are coming from and it is really good advice when you say to not focus on what is scummy behavior by itself, but rather what is scummy for a particular individual. I would say prolly the best advice you gave me here is to not make up reasons for things. This is key for me because I way too often will defend a prior point I have made thereby contradicting a previous comment I have made, but to be truthful, both examples you gave are things to work on for me personally.

Again, thank you.

What I say here is really prolly more my potential as a player rather than how well I do it in reality..

Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1860 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:53 am

Post by Slandaar »

I don't think I posted that much to be honest. Alright one more interesting thing but like I said, essays.

One way to get better (it may not apply to you) is never use the word gut. It's a terrible word, you need to figure out why you are reading things that way and actually post it. When you don't know why and just say gut without thinking you won't know post-game why you were right or wrong thus limiting your learning of the game. It also means people can't argue your point which does also limit your learning as your reasoning right or wrong cannot be debated (if wrong you can learn why etc) and is just plain anti-town when you are wrong to be stuck on 'gut' which cannot be disproven/argued against. It's something I realized a while back, I never really used gut for the aforementioned anti-townness of it, but in retrospect I think I learnt a lot more, a lot quicker, by avoiding it too.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1861 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:28 pm

In post 1860, Slandaar wrote:I don't think I posted that much to be honest. Alright one more interesting thing but like I said, essays.

One way to get better (it may not apply to you) is never use the word gut. It's a terrible word, you need to figure out why you are reading things that way and actually post it. When you don't know why and just say gut without thinking you won't know post-game why you were right or wrong thus limiting your learning of the game. It also means people can't argue your point which does also limit your learning as your reasoning right or wrong cannot be debated (if wrong you can learn why etc) and is just plain anti-town when you are wrong to be stuck on 'gut' which cannot be disproven/argued against. It's something I realized a while back, I never really used gut for the aforementioned anti-townness of it, but in retrospect I think I learnt a lot more, a lot quicker, by avoiding it too.

Yes, that does happen to me a lot. Sometimes I get a strong feeling that someone is town or scum but it mostly has to do with the dichotomy or style that they have typed. How do I make it a legit read when this happens?

Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #1862 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Post by Metal Sonic »

This is really helpful advice bro. Thank you. Honestly.

But lying about something like that as town literally guarantees your lynch in future when you fail to produce it. Furthermore, scum *might* know that you're lying about it and so will not kill you and/or lynch you harder (?). Can you explain what happens next?
oopsies! haha!

I've updated my wiki! Check it out!
Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1863 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:41 am

Post by Slandaar »

If you are referencing the top half of that post I was saying if you have the role, claim it. Which was mostly a joke about LQ not claiming Friendly neighbour when he was a friendly neighbour. I don't endorse fakeclaiming friendly neighbour as it can definitely end badly.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #1864 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 am

Post by Titus »

Or it can let you coast for the rest of the game as scum. I would hammer a friendly neighbor claim since InuYasha.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #1865 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:11 am

Post by Metal Sonic »

poor titus.
oopsies! haha!

Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #1866 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:12 am

Post by Metal Sonic »

also Slandaar, where have you been? I missed you.
oopsies! haha!

Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1867 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:01 am

Post by Slandaar »

In post 1864, Titus wrote:Or it can let you coast for the rest of the game as scum. I would hammer a friendly neighbor claim since InuYasha.

Once upon a time I helped mislynch a townie as town. If I never vote again I will never mislynch anyone ever, problem solved!

It works but is it a good idea? The answer is no. Preventing the event so it doesn't occur again is just bad. The actual solution is to just get better at the game.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1868 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:06 am

In post 1867, Slandaar wrote:
In post 1864, Titus wrote:Or it can let you coast for the rest of the game as scum. I would hammer a friendly neighbor claim since InuYasha.

Once upon a time I helped mislynch a townie as town. If I never vote again I will never mislynch anyone ever, problem solved!

It works but is it a good idea? The answer is no. Preventing the event so it doesn't occur again is just bad. The actual solution is to just get better at the game.

This brings me back to the lols I was just reading at around the 38-40 mark.

Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1869 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:09 am

Post by Slandaar »

In post 1861, LicketyQuickety wrote:Yes, that does happen to me a lot. Sometimes I get a strong feeling that someone is town or scum but it mostly has to do with the dichotomy or style that they have typed. How do I make it a legit read when this happens?

It's not easy but you have to read their posts and figure out why. For example, posting style will be similar for players as town and scum so if it's just their style you should drop the read.

An actual example is you might not like the timing of their post, they may not take stances on big issues until others have etc. It is really hard to explain how you can do this though as each situation is obviously unique.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1870 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:23 am

In post 1869, Slandaar wrote:
In post 1861, LicketyQuickety wrote:Yes, that does happen to me a lot. Sometimes I get a strong feeling that someone is town or scum but it mostly has to do with the dichotomy or style that they have typed. How do I make it a legit read when this happens?

It's not easy but you have to read their posts and figure out why. For example, posting style will be similar for players as town and scum so if it's just their style you should drop the read.

An actual example is you might not like the timing of their post, they may not take stances on big issues until others have etc. It is really hard to explain how you can do this though as each situation is obviously unique.

I understand there is a fine line between reading peoples playstyle in general as townie or scummy and finding things that just seem "off". Its the explaining the feeling that something is off part that I am currently trying to deal with. At this point I'm willing to admit that I may not read people the same as others and most people look for different things when reading people. IDK, I just don't think there is like a "for sure" formula to read people. Some people use strict logic to read people and that is just not how I do it. I will say that I am starting to survive longer in games and my reads are getting better.

N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1871 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:33 am

Post by N »

GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”