Sudo-Nym replacing RayFrost replacing Mastin replacing SensFan
Indigo Heron
veerus, replacing Doomsday
Abstract Actuary replacingGorrad
Herodotus replacing Goatrevolt
Haylen replacing Ah2190 temporarily replacing Lawrencelot
Thok replacing Zazier replacing sirdanilot
EmpTyger who replaces Max who replaced Pesco47
SaintKerrigan replacing CSL replacing SaintKerrigan replacing The Central Scrutinizer

Dead

Nobody yet!

A small tip
: This first post will always contain information critical to the game, with the most recent vote count being displayed here (as well as within the thread), deadline information and player list.
A great feature of this forum lets you display the first post in a thread as the first post on every page of your thread. This will be very useful in the game, however it's not 100% needed. If you want to use this feature go to your profile, scroll down to the
preferences
section and select yes for "Always show First Post on every Topic Page". :arrow:
Last edited by Mr. Black on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 166 times in total.
Awesome Pants
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Friends Forever! <3

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:08 pm

Post by Awesome Pants »

Rules
Inspired by a bunch of people.

>
Fundamental

1. Above all, this is a game – have fun!
2. Unless it is explicitly stated in your role PM that you can do so, do not communicate with anyone outside this thread. Even then, only communicate when your role PM states you can.
3. Do not quote any communication you have with me, the moderator of the game. Depending on the circumstance, you may be able to paraphrase things I have sent you (such as a role PM). Use common sense and if you are unsure feel free to ask me via PM.
4. I’m only human, and as such, I’m bound to make mistakes. If you believe I have made one, feel free to send through a PM and tell me what you think is wrong.
5. Be courteous to your fellow player. This is just a game, and any blatant personal attacks on another player will not be tolerated. Remember that everyone just wants to have fun!
6. Because of the nature of the game, deadlines will be set at my discretion.
Indigo is my colour. Don’t use it.

>
Voting, lynching and deadlines

8. For your vote to be counted, it must be bold, and in the form
vote: playername
. The colon is optional.
9. Although it is not necessary, it is very much appreciated if you could unvote before changing your vote. Again, unvotes must be bold to count.
10. A lynch will occur at n/2 + 1 votes, where n is the number of players currently alive.
11. At a deadline, rule ten will still be in play. If there is not a majority, then nobody will be lynched and night will begin.
12. If a lynch occurs, then the game enters ‘twighlight’, where all alive players apart from the player who has been lynched are allowed to freely converse (but not allowed to cast any votes) until I lock the thread and post a death scene.
13. Once you are dead, you are free to make one “bah” like post, but nothing more.

>
Activity

14. Treat this game as a commitment, and try your best to stay active. If you will be unable to participate for a period longer than 3 days, please PM me or post in thread.
15. Failure to remain active throughout the game will result in your replacement with my discretion. Try to post at least once every 72 hours.
16. All nights will have a preset deadline, which can be extended at my discretion. If you are mafia, and do not send me a move or night kill in a reasonable amount of time, then I will make the move on your behalf.

>
Special, theme specific rules

17. The winning side will win by either winning the chess game as their side (getting to checkmate) or by their alternate win condition. That is, being a majority of the players alive (or having an equal number of mafia and town players) for the mafia, or eliminating the mafia for the town.
18. Every day, the town
must
play a chess move, by voting for a move. When a majority of the town are voting for a particular move, that move is played and the game moves to night where the mafia will make a move in return.
19. The town may also lynch a player, but the lynch does not take place until a chess move has been played. Once a person has reached a lynch majority it is not possible for any of their voters to unvote or change votes. If the town lynches, the mafia get a nightkill. If they do not lynch, the mafia has no night kill.
20. All moves must be voted for in algebraic chess notation, unless the majority of people would like to change it to something else?
21. If there is a set deadline, and a majority of votes hasn’t been reached for a chess move, then the move with the highest votes will be chosen. If there is a tie a die will be rolled to pick.
22. Moves must be voted for in the form
move: e6
and votes in the form
vote: Awesome Pants
for them to count. The colon is optional. Unvoting is appreciated with both types of votes, but it is not necessary.
23. During the day, the town can vote to resign or offer draw to the scum. During night, the scum can offer a draw to the town, which will cause the town to vote to either accept the draw, or decline it, by voting
move: accept draw
, ect.

24. Please don't ruin the game, don't use a chess engine/program to find moves. Anybody caught doing so will modkilled/replaced and I will speak to the admins about a ban or something for you, as it essentially ruining the game fot the people who want to play properly.
Last edited by Awesome Pants on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awesome Pants
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Friends Forever! <3

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Post by Awesome Pants »

>
The setup

This is the white (town) player PM, that the majority of players received:

Greeting chess player! Today along with the majority of the players you’ll be playing for the white side.

You win (alive or dead) when white checkmates black, or when all threats to the white side have been eliminated.

During the day you may vote on which move you believe is best for the white side, or which player you believe is likely to be playing for the black side.

You’ve already confirmed simply by opening up this PM, so there’s no need to do anything further. This is the game thread, which is open right now. Feel free to begin voting, but first please check the rules, in particular the ‘special theme specific section’.

Any questions or queries are free to be directed at me. Have fun!

There was also a mafia PM, that at least two players in this game received. The mafia PM is essentially the same as the town PM.
Awesome Pants
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Friends Forever! <3

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Post by Awesome Pants »

Ok, all role PMs are out so the game officially begins! Get ready to get hot and heavy, you pawn stars. (Yes, I know, terrible.. look forward to lots more like it!)
Doomsday
Doomsday
Townie
Doomsday
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Post by Doomsday »

:D. Personally I'd think this would be a little confusing a game, but fine with me :D. I luv Chess (which I don't think will be the deciding factor tihs game) but meh.

Vote: No one.
GLaDOS uploaded...
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Post by SensFan »

move: e4
, probably the best opener in a vacuum.

I am wondering what people think about perhaps choosing not to lynch, at least at first. We might as well try and win the game, I would think. If black looks like they are closing in on a checkmate, we can start lynching. The only thing early lynches seems to accomplish is letting black get rid of people who seem to have a good grasp of chess.
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Awesome Pants
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Friends Forever! <3

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:42 pm

Post by Awesome Pants »

Doomsday wrote::D. Personally I'd think this would be a little confusing a game, but fine with me :D. I luv Chess (which I don't think will be the deciding factor tihs game) but meh.

Vote: No one.
This looks like it might be your first game here, so just be aware that for votes to count they have to be bolded.

You can bold like this:

Code: Select all

[b]Bold text in here[/b]

Also, it's not necessary to vote for 'no one' if you wish to not lynch, as this will effectively happen anyway if nobody is voted for during the day. (In this game anyway).
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

move:e4

Just to let you all know, I'm a horribly inconsistent chess player. I've drawn admirably against high-rated players and lost embarrassingly to former junior state runner-ups with marijuana abuse issues.

/confirm
"You might very well think that; I couldn't
possibly
comment."
Indigo Heron
Indigo Heron
Goon
Indigo Heron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:32 pm

Post by Indigo Heron »

I disagree with 1. e4. The very simple, logical reason is that 1. e4 leads to 1. ...c5 - the Sicilian Opening.

Besides that, I'm getting a vibe that 1. d4 is the move to play in this match.

move: d4

I concur with SensFan. It wouldn't be good to start off with a lynch, at least for now. Perhaps later when Black equilises (if it does).
最愛心。。。
Awesome Pants
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Friends Forever! <3

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:50 pm

Post by Awesome Pants »

The first vote count!

Moves

e4 (2) - The Central Scrutinizer, SensFan
d4 (1) - Indigo Heron

Not voting (6) - Doomsday, Gorrad, Goatrevolt, Lawrencelot, sirdanilot, Pesco47

Players

Not voting (9) - SensFan, Indigo Heron, Doomsday, Gorrad, Goatrevolt, Lawrencelot, sirdanilot, Pesco47, The Central Scrutinizer

With 9 alive it takes 5 votes to move/lynch
Doomsday
Doomsday
Townie
Doomsday
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by Doomsday »

Aha. I'm fine with e4, but in the late game, my style of playing varies greatly.

Thanks AP :D
GLaDOS uploaded...
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

I don't think there is any reason for us to start lynching unless we're losing. The best bet is to start by trying to win the chess game, and if that goes sour, then start trying to lynch black. We have a natural advantage in that we have two options for winning. By sticking to the chess game first, then later mafia, we get the chance to utilize both. If we go lynching first, then chess, we could easily hamstring ourselves.

Move e4

I'm far more comfortable opening with this over d4. I'm pretty unfamiliar with d4 openings (I know there is the Queen's gambit, anything else?).
Pesco47
Pesco47
Goon
Pesco47
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:00 pm

Post by Pesco47 »

I'm in for playing e4 as well (I'll put it into proper vote notation a bit later).

With so many of us putting moves for white, we can't afford to play weak moves or any overly long term traps. Someone is not going understand a move, ask for explanation and the ploy is pretty much revealed to black. We have to assume black will always play the best move possible.

Going for the chess win should keep the game easygoing and fun for everyone.
Doomsday
Doomsday
Townie
Doomsday
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Post by Doomsday »

Ok I'm decided.

e4
GLaDOS uploaded...
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

Chess first. The more we mislynch, the less we are at an advantage against the mafia in the chess game. We have more people now, which should result in better play. We do have to remember though that we might have to start lynching a long time before the chess game is starting to look bad for us, as we still have to make moves if we lynch. But the thing is: I don't expect the chess game to look bad for us, because a consensus of more players usually gives better results than one of few players. Unless the mafia are some extremely good chess players and town sucks, we shouldn't worry about this.

Move: e4
. It's just the best move and that's it.
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:14 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

I agree that we can play chess first, and then play mafia.

move : e4

I'd like to note that I am not very good at chess, but I know the rules and some basic strategies.
Awesome Pants
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Friends Forever! <3

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Post by Awesome Pants »

The final day one vote count!

Moves

e4 (5) - The Central Scrutinizer, SensFan, Goatrevolt, Lawrencelot, sirdanilot
d4 (1) - Indigo Heron

Not voting (3) - Doomsday, Gorrad, Pesco47

Doomsday
: You'll need the 'move' operator for your move vote to count.

*chess tag removed*
1. e4
*/chess tag removed*
Black, please PM me your move ASAP, I don't want the game to be dragged out with long nights.
Awesome Pants
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Friends Forever! <3

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:25 pm

Post by Awesome Pants »

The mysterious queen bishop's pawn decides to lead its black comrades into battle by stepping two spaces forward.

*chess tag removed*
1. e4 c5
*/chess tag removed*
Doomsday
Doomsday
Townie
Doomsday
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Post by Doomsday »

Whoah something happened! :D. The Pawn c5 move is among the most annoying ever, IMO as a return to e4

Move : bc4
GLaDOS uploaded...
Gorrad
Gorrad
Mafia Scum
Gorrad
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Post by Gorrad »

Tsk, Doomsday, do you honestly believe for a second that that strategy will work? I haven't played a single half-decent player who fell for that trick since middle school chess club! Besides, see where black queen is likely to go from here.

Move: pc3
I will not assume everyone with blue eyes has Mako poisoning
Pesco47
Pesco47
Goon
Pesco47
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:21 pm

Post by Pesco47 »

Suggesting silly moves the new scum tell for this game?

c5 isn't exactly a great move for the bN. I would play
move Nc3
instead
Pesco47
Pesco47
Goon
Pesco47
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:03 pm

Post by Pesco47 »

@ Mod: If the exact same board position is reached 3 times in a game, are we going to get a forced draw?
Doomsday
Doomsday
Townie
Doomsday
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Post by Doomsday »

Tsk Gorrad. To be honest, I never even considered that move clause you just suggested I was planning with that move.

I'm sticking with that move. I know my stuff eh Gorrad. If u agree, fine. If u don't, meh.
GLaDOS uploaded...
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:45 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

Aaah, something else happened than E5! I'm not sure I ever saw this opening, but it looks like it's best to get our bishop out, or our queen.

move Bc4
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:03 am

Post by sirdanilot »

What's bad about Bc4?

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”