Mafia 125: Khan's Game of Mafia (Game Over)

Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #2350 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

First, thanks so much to everyone for playing.

This was my first large normal so I was terrified abotu the setup. There's something about the "Townie (x12)" that makes it look really, really boring, but I think it didn't come off that way.

I was hoping that the Delayer aspect to the Serial Killer would make the game a little swingier, but I think it was Faraday (or LlamaFluff) who said the mod's favorite roles always die early. The Mafia Serial Bomber was a horrible role and my main challenge to the mafia group was to recognize that and not use it.

The secret deadline idea was cribbed from some thread in MD. The threory was that maybe if there was a deadline, but players didn't know about it, there would be more of an incentive to post. I don't think it worked as well as suggested.. In fact, it pretty much worked as if there was no deadline at all. The deadlines were activated once I had doled out a certain number of prods to get people posting. It was a try-out and I think it was a bust.

--
I'm so happier to have such a great playerlist for this game. I purposefully allowed a few newbies and wildcard in the mix because mafia games where everyone is an excellent player can sometimes devolve into standoffs. But I think everyone played to the best of their abilities so I can't complain. Thanks again to everyone who signed up and big thanks to anyone who replaced in (if even temporarily).

Though if I had to award an MVP, it would definitely go to iamausername for his fakeclaim.

And excuse me as I venture away to go nominate Korlash for a funniest player award.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #2351 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

Katsuki wrote:
The Fonz wrote:Iam was ascetic? Ach well, even if i'd RBed him, it wouldn't have worked. For town to win would have needed RC to accept i was town, and that was just never happening.

What if the hider targeted Iam?

Ascetic probably was a Godfather/Strongman all in one. :P

Close..

Ascetic: You are immune to all active abilities except kill.

It's a powerful role, but somewhat muted in a game where the town PR are few. I tend to think it's a really under-utilized role in mafia. In the end, it didn't matter as he was never targeted by anyone.

If the hider hid behind Iam, the hider would have died. I was bummed that Xtoxm didn't reveal his targets before night. He was pretty much the only investigative role.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #2352 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Post by DrippingGoofball »

PokerFace wrote:also can DGB or someone who knows her well explain her voting numbers in terms of how it worked on cyber and username but totally was was wrong about me?

Scumz tend to float up... some townies will float up, too. I think of the numbers as probabilistic, not deterministic. If I have a solid town read on a player in the upper SCUMPUTER crust, I will not vote that player.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #2353 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Korlash wrote:Ahh... Well I feel like a failure now... If you guys don't mind I'll be under the bed crying now....

You should come to Goofbash.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2354 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Kublai Khan wrote:
Though if I had to award an MVP, it would definitely go to iamausername for his fakeclaim.

Are you of the opinion that he
deliberately
fucked up his claim in a way that would look like a town mistake?

Kublai Khan wrote:
Ascetic: You are immune to all active abilities except kill.

Surely the effect is to basically roleblock any nonkilling role that targets? In which case, the hider should live.

I agree that ascetic is underused, incidentally. (Still think 'invisible townie' is a better label).
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2355 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Post by Starbuck »

The Fonz wrote:You always seemed to have at least one of RC and me above Iam, Starbuck. At no point did you have him at number one.

No, I didn't, but I never said he was my number one to begin with.

Your fencesitting didn't help this town at all either. You and RC (both) weren't on the one scum lynch during this game.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #2356 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Post by Korlash »

DGB wrote:You should come to Goofbash.

I would but they frown on me leaving the country right now... plus I think the beeping from this ankle accessory would start to annoy people at some point. >.> "Excuse me Korlash, I think your leg is ticking...."

Poker wrote:Meh your reads were better than most others Korlash so you should be somewhat glad

That only makes it worse... I should have pushed Spy harder from the start and never should have fallen for that crappy claim.... DGB wouldn't have fell for it... ;_;
It's not my job to be right, it's my job to be convincing.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2357 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Gosh, I can't tell you guys how disappointed I am. I'm downright depressed. I didn't want to lose this game. I spent a lot of time considering every one of my decisions, especially that last one. I can sit here and say that I suspected Fate and username as scum at some point, but the truth is it was never anything I took serious enough to change my mind. It was the kind of suspicions that we all have of everyone at some point. That freaking claim is what did it. The town had zero investigative roles (aside from the Hider). That's just not a very common practice for a game this size, and I couldn't get around that point. I definitely tip my hat to username here. He completely had me in his pocket. The dangerous/not dangerous thing was the tipping point in this game.

Fate wrote:Korlash was amazing AND funny

I really enjoyed Korlash's posts as well. I'd really like to play with him again. Him and DGB had a much better read on this game than any of us did, I think.

Starbuck wrote:I was stupid for doing so by RC

I don't think you're stupid. I never have and do not plan to ever call you stupid. I really wish you hadn't have joined this game because I think I've told you very firmly that I do not wish to play Mafia with you for the foreseeable future. I was extremely disappointed that you decided to replace into this game (let alone play it the way that you did).

PF wrote:I will never understand why red thought Fonz was scummy. Lurky =/= scum and i think that was only reason Red could suspect him.

Scum Roleblocker and Odd-night Cop made more sense to me than a town Roleblocker and a scum Ascetic(?). Fonz was hesistant to choose between Starbuck and Fate. He wasn't confirmed town for his claim any more than username was, PF. Plus, and I don't remember if you were around for a lot of this, but Antihero was incredibly scummy. I said multiple times that the only reason I was interested in keeping Antihero alive was on account of his role. Antihero outted our Hider (he had good intentions for doing so, but that didn't necessarily mean he was town). The roleblocking was either useless or hurt the town every night (except for the last couple of nights). The scum never shot him even though he had been out since D2. Anyway I sliced it, Fonz seemed to obviously be the more likely candidate to be lying than username did.

Fonz wrote:Actually, the really big mistake was RC claiming vig BEFORE we'd got Iam to claim his innocent.

This was something else I wanted to mention. I so regretted this after I made the post. Basically I thought that if I didn't hurry up and claim I may have been quicklynched. At that point I was just so convinced it was either you or Starbuck. There were a lot of things working against you, Fonz, that I don't know if was fully appreciated going into D6 (see above). That being said, I don't know what, if anything, you could've done to sooth my concerns. The fact is, username had

Mod wrote:Ascetic - Immune to night actions (except kill)

Is this a normal role, KK? I don't think I've ever heard of this.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #2358 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:29 pm

Post by PokerFace »

The SK was really underpowered here. He could delay things and kill and was suppose to win it all with just that? I realize winning with SK should be hard but still lookslike xalxe had a real uphill battle here

Ascetic appears more often than it should on the irc servers I frequent. It is fairly common on xyl's IRC server. But there it is most oftenly a towny. I think the role can be scum there but it rarely is mainly because investigations return no result and the role can't be blocked making it incredibly useful to scum in that regard. And with all the power roles on that site being imune to all the roles that can't kill is a large imunity. Ascetic is kinda underused on Mafiascum though. I have never seen it appear on this site and wouldn't have suspected it to show up here.

But its not a question of Scum blocker and odd-night cop being more common than ascetic scum and town blocker. It's a question of who you find scummy and who would have reason to lie. Anti was obviously a role blocker. Town or scum not obvious to Red. Was username more obviousl a cop? I think not. Given 4 man scum group I actually thought mafia sounded under powered with level of town power roles. I knew last scum had to have something special.

I'll never get how Red ever found Antihero or Fonz suspicious. I can see how he found me suspicious. I suck as town with how I find and follow reads. Been considering temp to permanent retirement as a result of discovering my own meta. I basically found some tells that work on me everytime and instantly tell you if I am town or scum. Manage to fix some but not all of them. That and its no secret some crazy shit has been going on in my life that I need to handle and get comfortable with.

I apoligize for some aspects of my poor reads and poor desires to play the game. Work shedule that made me V/la alot didn't help things but was not entirely my fault with life. I wonder if I should have replaced myself during the game with the shit I had going on, but oh well. I still had fun so thanks for the game Khan
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2359 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:16 am

Post by The Fonz »

RedCoyote wrote:Gosh, I can't tell you guys how disappointed I am. I'm downright depressed. I didn't want to lose this game. I spent a lot of time considering every one of my decisions, especially that last one. I can sit here and say that I suspected Fate and username as scum at some point, but the truth is it was never anything I took serious enough to change my mind. It was the kind of suspicions that we all have of everyone at some point. That freaking claim is what did it. The town had zero investigative roles (aside from the Hider). That's just not a very common practice for a game this size, and I couldn't get around that point.

No, but having all of investigative/roleblocking/protective/killing in the same town is also uncommon.

RC wrote:
Scum Roleblocker and Odd-night Cop made more sense to me than a town Roleblocker and a scum Ascetic(?). Fonz was hesistant to choose between Starbuck and Fate.

Sure. Like I said, I despise both playstyles and both were playing to them. Not only did it make it hard to read, but it was also demoralizing.

RC wrote:He wasn't confirmed town for his claim any more than username was, PF.

No, but I didn't lie about my claim either. Nor did I get the format of the results wrong. Nor did the player most suspicious of me die overnight when I myself was the obvious choice.

RC wrote:Antihero outted our Hider (he had good intentions for doing so, but that didn't necessarily mean he was town).

Actually, it did. You should have listened to those who talked about the possible motives for that action. Town RB, seeing someone he'd roleblocked hinting information, is of course going to think that player's lying scum. A scum roleblocker is not going to out himself because of either a) a town power role that he hadn't anticipated or b) a town gambit that was inevitably going to blow up in said town player's face sooner or later. Or, you could have listened to Iamausername himself. It made absolutely no sense for me to neither kill nor RB IAAUN if I were scum RB, because an innocent on a non-vig there would have basically won the game for town.

I was kinda fretting at the end, because poker behaved EXACTLY the same here as he did in choose carefully, when I similarly thought him scum and he was town. But in the end, I think I did as well as I could given RC's tunnel on me to make sure town could take out 2/3 of the unconfirmeds that weren't me. Poker pleading with you to vig Iam and not me should have been obviously coming from a town place - it made no difference whatsoever to Poker's own chances of survival.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #2360 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:37 am

Post by iamausername »

The Fonz wrote:Nor did I get the format of the results wrong.

I maintain that this is not remotely a scumtell, and I'm almost certain I would have said 'innocent' rather than 'not dangerous' even if I had been a real cop.

The rest though, yeah.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2361 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:45 am

Post by The Fonz »

I'm curious Iam, why did you not claim to have used the two shots immediately? Didn't fit with your suspicions?
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #2362 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:48 am

Post by iamausername »

Oh no, I was always intending to switch my claim to odd-night. Just not until the following day.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #2363 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:23 am

Korlash wrote:I would but they frown on me leaving the country right now... plus I think the beeping from this ankle accessory would start to annoy people at some point. >.> "Excuse me Korlash, I think your leg is ticking...."

I didn't realize you were on house arrest, but I probably should have figured it out when I heard about the ice cream factory being firebombed in the news...

DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #2364 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:27 am

Hey is there a scum QT?

iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #2365 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am

Post by iamausername »

DrippingGoofball wrote:Hey is there a scum QT?

http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/qudJvckVZp9

Is there a dead QT?
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #2366 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:59 am

Post by farside22 »

Damn I called out Cyber and CKD day 1 and then got too focused on werewolf. Damn scummy town players.

Why did I die the first night?
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #2367 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:00 am

Post by farside22 »

Actually better question why did the mafia kill me night 1?

I would try and read the QT but I'm a bit busy right now.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #2368 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:14 am

farside, it was fear of you.

Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2369 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 am

Post by Starbuck »

RedCoyote wrote:I don't think you're stupid. I never have and do not plan to ever call you stupid. I really wish you hadn't have joined this game because I think I've told you very firmly that I do not wish to play Mafia with you for the foreseeable future. I was extremely disappointed that you decided to replace into this game (let alone play it the way that you did).

I replaced in because KK cross-replaced into a game that I was back up modding. If you didn't wish me to be here, you should have said something to KK and Stepho could have replaced in instead.

I wanted to try a different way of playing when I replaced in and it's obvious that it didn't work at all. I apologize to the town for this, but I know I'm not the only one who likes to try out new things.

I never want to take away from the enjoyability of the game in the respect that you didn't want me here. Again, I wish you had said something to KK and Stepho could have replaced in instead of me. I see that I pretty much ruined whatever reputation I have because of TWD (your case showed that blatantly) and maybe I just need to stop playing mafia all together.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #2370 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:58 am

Post by Fate »

Farside didn't you protect Ckd the first night?
@poker: you played prtty well.

I was geniunely scared when you arguend against the plan posthammer with some vigor. I pmd KK TO LOCK THE THREAD I was so ansy about you talking sense into RC with your reads
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #2371 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:35 am

Post by PokerFace »

Thanks for the props fate.

@red don't feel bad. As a lover of the vig role you did well. Shot 3 out of 5 scum. Only mistake you made was suspecting Fonz. I can't fault you for suspecting me

The tells I noticed in my meta more so identify me as town. There are certain things I only do as town and a few people have picked on them. And when I do none of those tells its safe to say I am scum. Ironically what I plan to do is to fix all that is to purposely do those as scum. Some people say you can't mimick or break you meta I plan to do just that, at least against those that do know my town tells

PokerFace wrote:^Fonz not care about gold star either. He is town. go ahead and block me if tthats what you want

Ask yourself 2 questions Red

1. If PokerFace is scum what would be the best thing for him to do so scum can win?

2. Is PokerFace doing that thing?

If the answer to number 2 is NO then kill username!

1. Argue firmly against being targeted

What was PF doing?
Argue against being blocked, he wants killed (Unkillable?)
Argue against being killed, he wants blocked (Unblockable?)
Argue against both happening, he wants niether (he is Goon?)
Say you could do either one to him while he wants someone else to be saved

It was obvious there was one scum left when star died and game didn't instant end. Which meant there was not 2 scum and I had no reason of trying to clear Fonz or anybody
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #2372 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:14 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

Kublai Khan wrote:
Night 2
Antihero (RB) -> Roleblocks -> Cyberbob (Goon)
Xtoxm (Hider) -> Hides Behind -> curiouskarmadog (MSB) {Xtoxm dies}
RedCoyote (Vig) -> Kills -> Dutch one (VT)
iamausername (MA) -> Kills -> nocase (VT)

I am sure I am missing something..how did i die night 2?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #2373 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:20 am

Post by Fate »

L

O

L
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2374 (ISO) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:21 am

Post by Xalxe »

curiouskarmadog wrote:
Kublai Khan wrote:
Night 2
Antihero (RB) -> Roleblocks -> Cyberbob (Goon)
Xtoxm (Hider) -> Hides Behind -> curiouskarmadog (MSB) {Xtoxm dies}
RedCoyote (Vig) -> Kills -> Dutch one (VT)
iamausername (MA) -> Kills -> nocase (VT)

I am sure I am missing something..how did i die night 2?

I came back from the dead. And killed you.

(dunno)
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”