NY 177: Simple Complexity (GAME OVER: Scum Wins!)

Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5250 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Post by Wake »

In post 5244, Marquis wrote:also i do not think it will be feasible at all for you to run a game of the size you say you are planning for.

you are far from the ceph-level kind of rep you will need to get that off the ground.

I think you severely underestimate me, to be frank.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5251 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Post by ika »

In post 5249, Wake wrote:1)I think you rush to judgment far too quickly. I have been modding games for at least 6 years.

2)Do you honestly think I haven't been carefully writing and rewriting this game for the last 6 months?

3)You come in here, look at the very bare bones of this game in the making, and you make the worst assumptions imaginable.

4) Have some faith, ika.

1) and i have seen (and played) setups that are even more elaborate then you have been showing me right now on bare bones.
-ever played 5-sided mafia?
-ever played reverse mafia?
-ever played multi-sidied mafia where one scum team gets decisions?
-ever played games where theres twists half way through that can change the entire aspect of a game?
-ever played with disguisers (take a persons account and identity), ventriloquist (takes the account and post under it as well as their own), a role that changes based on another persons decision (ive played it and its fun),
-ever played a game where everyone is under one account.

i have extensive ideas and experience with setups and have seen many broken by its own mechanics and role. one game i was in got broken b/c someone figured out the entire role list. just by guessing a few things. even the mod themself didnt anticipate it.

2) just b/c you have been doing it for 6 month does not mean someone else can find that one loophole to break it into 2. it takes one fault for an entire setup to be broken. even setups i have done have been broken b/c i missed something when i though i had everything covered.

3) thats what you need to do, look at how fast one faction can lose.
-echoing it: assuming town has no killing roles alone already, myslynch town+3 seprate kills on town = town lost majority. now add in the fact that scums cant "kill" each other. in basicly 4 cycles, town could be elminated and all the scums now have to sit there being "well now what"
-now lets add in that town has vig of some sort: if they shoot town as well then thats another lost town and now scums (conjoint) are in majority and town is now not only minority, but the UNINFORMED minority (double whammy) and now they HAVE to rely on scums (now what town should EVER have to do) to even have a chance of a comeback
-so if scums get a "guilty" whats the benefit besides that info? X goes "Y is Z" town should go lynch X then lynch Y. scums have no incentive to give it out.
-You should always assume worst case and see where it can be balanced out. this entire thing was dicussed in a thread you made as well

4) im jsut pointing out things that will already be a problem on barebones level.

pedit: i think your still missing what shes saying.......
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5252 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Post by Wake »

You know, I get it. You're being unreasonably negative, and trying to create any way to basically say the idea is crap, when you don't even know the idea I have in mind. I really should just delete your posts for just being one massive buzzkill. I think people like you are part of the reason why some people don't want to share any idea about future games, because all you'll do is home in on the negative or what you perceive to be weaknesses, without stepping back and realizing that you don't even know what's going to be played. Since you don't know, you should hold off and think "hm, maybe Wake will use this or that to remedy this potential problem or that." You think I must be pretty stupid, ika. If you want to keep finding all the faults you think you see, without giving me any benefit of the doubt when it comes to modding, I'll have no problem deleting your posts here.
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5253 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Post by Marquis »

wake i think you're out of line and i think you need to learn to take constructive criticism better.

we're not saying this to be mean. what i'm saying is that you need to realize that even if you design a grand game, no matter how excited you are about it, without well-known experience and time spent building a good reputation here is it likely not feasible for a game of yours with 30+ players to 1) fill and run 2) continue running
link in bio
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5254 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

Don't delete his posts Wake. I think he's just trying to help you. At least, that's what I see here. I never saw him say your ideas were crap.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5255 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Post by ika »

In post 5253, Wake wrote:1)You know, I get it. You're being unreasonably negative, and trying to create any way to basically say the idea is crap, when you don't even know the idea I have in kind.

2)I really should just delete your posts for just being one massive buzzkill.

3)I think people like you are part of the reason why some people don't want to share any idea about future games, because all you'll do is home in on the negative or what you perceive to be weaknesses, without stepping back and realizing that you don't even know what's going to be played.

4)Since you don't know, you should hold off and think "hm, maybe Wake will use this or that to remedy this potential problem or that." You think I must be pretty stupid, ika.

5)If you want to keep finding all the faults you think you see, without giving me any benefit of the doubt whenit comes to modding,

6)I'll have no problem deleting your posts here.

1) not really? im just giving MPOV and my opinionas well as my experince, thanks for the misrep though
2) thats just abusive and jerk and would make you no better than what your calling me then
3) i have enough of an idea that i would have a reasonsable expectation of what you are planning, that fact that you again, misrep my intentions is telling. im stating my opinion. you take it as an attack.
4) quote me where i said you are stupid otherwise that is balintent misrep and wrong interpritation.
5) you can also just not respond to it and acknowledge it instead of ridiculing (and misrepping) on it like you are doing right now
6) again thats just being a flat out dick and abuse of power and would make you no better then the people that your riddcule on (if not it would make you lower then them to go to that)

pedit:

silver+marqu say exactly what im saying. im just saying it in a more blunt manner
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5256 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Post by Wake »

In post 5253, Marquis wrote:wake i think you're out of line and i think you need to learn to take constructive criticism better.

we're not saying this to be mean. what i'm saying is that you need to realize that even if you design a grand game, no matter how excited you are about it, without well-known experience and time spent building a good reputation here is it likely not feasible for a game of yours with 30+ players to 1) fill and run 2) continue running

Except I have damned good experience, and I know how to run a Mafia game. I also know how to fill and run a game of that size. Please do not tell me otherwise when you don't know me nearly enough to reach that conclusion.

In post 5254, SilverWolf wrote:Don't delete his posts Wake. I think he's just trying to help you. At least, that's what I see here. I never saw him say your ideas were crap.

It's pissing me off. He and Marquis think I'm inexperienced and stupid, in that I don't have there wherewithal to formulate and run a very large game. They need to stop treating me as if they know me when they don't. If they're going to piss on my words when I say I've been running games for over six years, then they're being insensitive, and striking nerves.
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5257 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Post by Marquis »

i think your still missing what im saying.......
link in bio
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5258 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Post by Wake »

In post 5253, Marquis wrote:wake i think you're out of line and i think you need to learn to take constructive criticism better.

You think I can't.

I know I can.

That's the problem.

You don't know me.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5259 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Post by ika »

In post 5256, Wake wrote:It's pissing me off. He and Marquis think I'm inexperienced and stupid, in that I don't have there wherewithal to formulate and run a very large game. They need to stop treating me as if they know me when they don't. If they're going to piss on my words when I say I've been running games for over six years, then they're being insensitive, and striking nerves.

what you think we are saying/portraying vs what we are saying/portaying are 2 different things wake.

pedit: wake seriously, your still missing what we are saying. your just going "AHLALALALALALALALALALALALAL" right now.

if you read it witht the idea we are trying to HELP YOU, then you could understand but if you just want to be like that then fine.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5260 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:49 pm

Post by ika »

im just giving you some blunt truth FMPOV and my firsthand experience.

if you want to disregard it you more then welcomed to. but don't go around misrepping my intentions and what im saying
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5261 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 5256, Wake wrote:

In post 5254, SilverWolf wrote:Don't delete his posts Wake. I think he's just trying to help you. At least, that's what I see here. I never saw him say your ideas were crap.

It's pissing me off. He and Marquis think I'm inexperienced and stupid, in that I don't have there wherewithal to formulate and run a very large game. They need to stop treating me as if they know me when they don't. If they're going to piss on my words when I say I've been running games for over six years, then they're being insensitive, and striking nerves.

Hey Wake, game 5 was by far my favorite game at USMB bar none. It was interesting and challenging. You got lots of positive feedback here on this game by the players. Don't get mad here. Don't get upset. I would definitely play the game you are suggesting for sure. BUT, if there is something that could break the game, I'd like to know about it and I'm sure you would too. I see ika trying to help you. I don't see either ika or Marquis saying you are inexperienced or stupid. ika is trying to help you Wake.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5262 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Post by Wake »

You say you're trying to help me, but you come off as basically treating me like I'm stupid, incapable, and don't have the ability to draw in players to play my game.

How would anyone feel when they're treated as if they're incompetent? "Oh now Wake, you don't have experience or a good reputation..." Me: "Bullshit, f*****. I know how to run a game and I know exactly how to make all the pieces come together when they need to come together.

There's helping people, and then there's "helping people" to the extent that you imply they're so stupid they can't do it, which just anger the snot out of them and makes him or her want to lash out. Jesus, man, you think I don't have the intellect, the experience, or the pull to make this game happen? It's like you're trying to humiliate me under the guise of helping me. It's like saying I'm not capable of driving, or able to care for multiple patients at once, etc. Stop treating me like I can't do things when I can,
with ease
. It's f****** infuriorating!
Last edited by Wake1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wake
Wake
Goon
Wake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5263 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Post by Wake »

Wolfie, I can't reveal the measures I have in place to ensure the game doesn't get broken.

Ika thinks I'm too damned stupid to have spent time forseeing all these potential problems.
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5264 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Post by reinoe »

Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5265 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:59 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 5263, Wake wrote:Wolfie, I can't reveal the measures I have in place to ensure the game doesn't get broken.

Ika thinks I'm too damned stupid to have spent time forseeing all these potential problems.

I have no doubt you've thought it all through.

I don't see ika calling you stupid or even implying it.

Calm down Wake.
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5266 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Post by Marquis »

mods don't make games happen. players make games happen. i hope you will acknowledge that i am and have been trying to help you here. good night.
link in bio
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5267 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Post by ika »

wake im not even going to give a proper response to it.

quote me where i state you are incompetent as a mod.
quote me where i state you are stupid
quote me where i state ANYTHING you just said.

unless if you can you are just misrepping and adhoming my points.

i understand you cant take criticism so im going to be a better man and just end it here with the simple fact that unless if you can directly quote me on anything that you are thinking i'm saying, you are just biased and ust spinning a tale up
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5268 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Post by Wake1 »

He's implying I can't.

I can, and will.

If that's the kind of "help" he's giving, by not even having the sense to realize that maybe I know a thing or two about modding, then I don't want it.

Don't you dare give me a shirt and then basically give me a pamphlet on how to put it on.
I'd f****** gouge that person's
I'd be upset.

I know
full well
that the players make the games happen. Do you think I don't know that?!? Sorry, but I'm pissed that some people think so lowly of me that I can't possibly have an understanding of not only how to run a game, but on the philosophy of what games are. For all I know they think I'm just an inexperienced guy who's only run two games, as if I have no clue what Mafia is or any of the subtleties behind it.
"It's wise to be... cautious... with Wake."
— House*
"What Wake lacks in charisma, he makes up for it in pure analytic power."
— Nosferatu*
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5269 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Post by Wake1 »

In post 5266, Marquis wrote:mods don't make games happen. players make games happen.

I know and understand this. Please stop behaving as if I don't. It makes me feel bad, as if you think I don't know and understand it very deeply.
— House*
— Nosferatu*
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #5270 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Post by Pine »

Girls, girls, you're all pretty

How about talking about ways to improve the setup instead of it's flaws?

Maybe in some other thread?
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5271 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Post by ika »

implying =/= i am

i never once implied it and the fact you are so biased to think that is your own problem.

i came here to give you advice and all you want to do is just ridicule me and misrep my intentions.

really i could rest my entire case in point by one quote from you

In post 5263, Wake wrote:Wolfie, I can't reveal the measures I have in place to ensure the game doesn't get broken.

pedit: shes not, yours just spinning it in a negative light b/c its something you don't want to hear

@pine, its kinda hard when wake is so hell bent on thinking it cant be broken when i can point out several flaws right off the bat. if he adressed them by saying "im doing XYZ" then fine. but hes just going "shoo, i know what i'm doing"
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5272 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Post by notscience »

Pine

I rather enjoyed that last post of yours

The first line sounds like something I would say

very wp
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5273 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Post by ika »

In post 5272, notscience wrote:Pine

I rather enjoyed that last post of yours

The first line sounds like something I would say

very wp

im with notty thats like his one liner in any game and if he doesnt use its not notty
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5274 (ISO) » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Post by Wake1 »

In post 5241, ika wrote:already i can point out one major flaw in that this game is severly scum sided.

if you run worst case scnaios (as you always should) town will lose its majority in one cycle

lynch town, triple kill on 3 separate towns 12:4:4:4 and town has lost their one key thing: majority. add in the fact if all 3 sides know that there isnt a wagon on one of their buddies, its VERY easy to just make a huge ass wagon out of nowhere. even on a single scum its easy to just pile on a bunch of votes out of nowhere.

ive played 3-sided factions before and its is basicly a reverse mafia game where towns NEED to rely on crosskills to have a shot.

if you wan to run this setup for real you better knwo how fast it can (and will be exploited) cus just looking at frameworks, i can break it easitly by its own devise

If the remaining member of Fire Scum learned the identity of two other Scum over the course of the game, and is about to be lynched, do you not think he or she will take the liberty of revealing their identities? Yeah. Think about that. That's Town-sided. Go read USMB game #5. I'll share the link if you want. See, I modded this exact idea elsewhere, on a smaller scale, and it was intense, fun, and Town won because one Scum outed the other before death. Also, each time a NK hits another Scum team, a Town life is spared, and more time is granted for abilities to be used. You should factor that into your machinations next time.

I'm going to push to bring the number up to 32. We'll see what happens. I can easily do that.

There are also some very specific PR combinations that will be at play here, that will make it more difficult for Scum to win. I'm not going to reveal them to you. You do need to understand and accept that, with these things you don't know, the problem you think my game has... really does not exist. I'm not going to spoil the elements at play for you. You can learn them if you decide to join the party, or watch from the sidelines.
— House*
— Nosferatu*

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”