Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3125 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:28 am

Post by Shinobi »

The neighborhood mechanic is really strong for scum, and the Hoopla lynch wouldn't have happened without it. It gives mafia an excuse to buddy people in their neighborhoods, and it ends up naturally sectioning off parts of the game into groups if people don't think about scum actually being in their neighborhoods. By the end of the game, even though a whole lot of people didn't really trust him, Marquis had half the town in his pocket and nobody thought anything of it.

The wiretap mechanic would be really strong in the hands of a capable town analyst. Town lost something really awesome when vezok died, because having an unbiased eye looking through the peephole could've changed things pretty dramatically. The Hoopla lynch might not have happened if vezok happened to be looking into that neighborhood, but I really don't know. Inventor is always a strong role and we lucked out shooting Majiffy when we did.

Definitely a setup I'd be willing to play more, the ideas behind it are awesome.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #3126 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:57 am

Post by Antihero »

In post 3117, Oversoul wrote:Sorry for my play

alright, oversoul. we're even.

can the bitch factory close now?
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #3127 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:03 am

Post by Antihero »

i was a day late and a dollar short re: marquis, but the rest of them i had from pretty early on

GG
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #3128 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:05 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Spectating this game was like spectating the Brazil v Germany soccer game.
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3129 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:18 am

Post by Marquis »

@ap did you have the role distribution as a reviewer

@anti yeeee you scared me yeah
link in bio
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #3130 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:22 am

Post by Antihero »

meh, not really a big deal.

oversoul and metal sonic derped out at the last second, but i tend to do that myself so meh. no harm no foul.

i had fun.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #3131 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:23 am

Post by Antihero »

THANKS RECK!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3132 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:32 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 3125, Shinobi wrote:The neighborhood mechanic is really strong for scum, and the Hoopla lynch wouldn't have happened without it. It gives mafia an excuse to buddy people in their neighborhoods, and it ends up naturally sectioning off parts of the game into groups if people don't think about scum actually being in their neighborhoods. By the end of the game, even though a whole lot of people didn't really trust him, Marquis had half the town in his pocket and nobody thought anything of it.

The wiretap mechanic would be really strong in the hands of a capable town analyst. Town lost something really awesome when vezok died, because having an unbiased eye looking through the peephole could've changed things pretty dramatically. The Hoopla lynch might not have happened if vezok happened to be looking into that neighborhood, but I really don't know. Inventor is always a strong role and we lucked out shooting Majiffy when we did.

Definitely a setup I'd be willing to play more, the ideas behind it are awesome.

Yeah, I felt the ability for town to essentially make unconfirmed masonries with their neighborhood manipulation was a cool way to balance that fact. I was also really confused because I didn't see anyone doing any actual scumhunting within the neighborhoods... and I think having 3 town and 1 scum in a neighborhood would make that pretty easy. If Hoopla was going to die, I wish it had been earlier, because nobody took advantage of the day talk at all. The split at the start of the game was:

Cedar

Oversoul
SpyreX
vezokpiraka
ZZZX

Oak

Bicephalous Bob

Desperado

Marquis

Hoopla

Maple

AGar
Antihero
Majiffy

Zivel/Shinobi

Pine

chamber

farside22
Metal Sonic
Salamence20

Hoopla happened to be right about the distributions, but I did randomize it during setup creation. It was: randomize scum distribution among neighborhoods -> apply roles I already knew I wanted so there are no broken combos at gamestart -> fill in rest of roles/design rest of roles.

I find it odd, though, that the all town neighborhood is the one that wound up having the least impact on the game. vezok went D1, SpyreX was pretty lurkadurp, ZZZX got gladiatored then nightkilled, and Oversoul just couldn't seem to get into it. Maple started out really strong then petered off... AGar just gave up, Antihero was apathetic, and Majiffy got taken out N2. Pine was essentially a ghost town, and I felt farside's pain that she never had an active neighborhood. Oak was, coincidentally, the 2/2 split neighborhood and also the one that worked together the most to figure stuff out. Scum definitely took advantage of the mechanic while town ignored it, and it lead to a scum victory.

In post 3128, AngryPidgeon wrote:Spectating this game was like spectating the Brazil v Germany soccer game.

But town started out so well! I marked out a bit when Hoopla gladiator'd scum.
In post 3131, Antihero wrote:THANKS RECK!

Of course <3
green shirt thursdays
Desperado
Desperado
Survivor
Desperado
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3133 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:25 am

Post by Desperado »

gg
;)
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #3134 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:15 am

Post by farside22 »

Well I only feel like hoopla was the wrong way to go but it was the one night everyone in the neighborhood chatted and felt worth pursuing.
The lurking this game was awful.
Very frustrated with the neighbor aspect.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3135 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:43 am

Post by Oversoul »

In post 3126, Antihero wrote:
In post 3117, Oversoul wrote:Sorry for my play

alright, oversoul. we're even.

can the bitch factory close now?

Blood for blood, the debt has been paid

I am sorry for my poor play.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3136 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:43 am

Post by Oversoul »

What was the point of my role Reck?
And did Majiffy not give anyone an invention?
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3137 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:47 am

Post by Oversoul »

In post 3128, AngryPidgeon wrote:Spectating this game was like spectating the Brazil v Germany soccer game.

Imagine how it feels to be David Luis
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3138 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Post by Oversoul »

In post 3132, xRECKONERx wrote:Hoopla happened to be right about the distributions, but I did randomize it during setup creation. It was: randomize scum distribution among neighborhoods -> apply roles I already knew I wanted so there are no broken combos at gamestart -> fill in rest of roles/design rest of roles.

I find it odd, though, that the all town neighborhood is the one that wound up having the least impact on the game. vezok went D1, SpyreX was pretty lurkadurp, ZZZX got gladiatored then nightkilled, and Oversoul just couldn't seem to get into it. Maple started out really strong then petered off... AGar just gave up, Antihero was apathetic, and Majiffy got taken out N2. Pine was essentially a ghost town, and I felt farside's pain that she never had an active neighborhood. Oak was, coincidentally, the 2/2 split neighborhood and also the one that worked together the most to figure stuff out. Scum definitely took advantage of the mechanic while town ignored it, and it lead to a scum victory.

I don't think this is an accurate statement to make. I immediately town read ZZZX and Vezok for their first few posts in the neighborhood before the game even started. Spyrex basically refused to try and parse out the game with our neighbors early on since he slated them for death early on. I know how Spyrex feels since work was basically driving me insane as this game progressed. Nothing in my personal life ever made anything easier to deal with in this game and I let it show, especially when it came to the last day. I strongly strongly believed we had an all town neighborhood the first few days and was so upset that Vezok was lynched Day 1 for basically being Vezok. It was heart breaking.

I *tried* to use the neighborhood mechanic but Spy and I were just never on at the same time and his play just didn't really jive with my own. We just approach the game from very different perspectives.

I do think that the neighborhood mechanic appeared to be underutilized by many of the town players. I think it was because they were all suspicious of each other. If the composition of the game (16:4) hadn't been known, things might be different. I was saddened by my role and even more saddened when my strong townreads (Vezok, ZZZX, Mollie) just died. :|

I am sorry to everyone who endured my play this game. It was bad. I was bad. I was not in the right place to play this game. I had a lot of personal stuff going, still have a lot of personal going on. Under a lot of stress. I was 1000% done with this game come this game day.

It was fun, Reck! You had some weird roles though (ZZZX, my role, and Hoopla's role). Loved Spy's role, haha.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3139 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Post by chamber »

Sorry for draining the energy from this game, I always feel guilty when I win that way.
Taking a break from the site.
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #3140 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Post by Metal Sonic »

Marquis u are getting the Bert treatment

If u are neighbors with me I will policy lynch you

GG scumz I think that marquis would have carried the game even if we did lynch chamber and shinobi first

Spyrex was very right and I will take him very seriously if I play with him from any game onwards
oopsies! haha!

I've updated my wiki! Check it out!
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #3141 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Post by Metal Sonic »

Re: the hoopla lynch

Marquis manipulated me and farside into doing that, sorry. I thought we were a 3 man mason team (read: mafia of the quickness) and that was a giant mistake

There was a 'scum' in our mason team and that led to damning conclusions

Sorry for my play early game it was prettyy shitty. I think. Was kinda lazy for the marquis thing I think nobody had him as scum late game yeah
oopsies! haha!

I've updated my wiki! Check it out!
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #3142 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:41 pm

Post by Hoopla »

this was a pretty depressing game...
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3143 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Post by chamber »

SORRY HOOPLA!
Taking a break from the site.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #3144 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Post by Hoopla »

i forgive you...
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3145 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Post by Marquis »

:(
link in bio
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3146 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 3141, Metal Sonic wrote:Re: the hoopla lynch

Marquis manipulated me and farside into doing that, sorry. I thought we were a 3 man mason team (read: mafia of the quickness) and that was a giant mistake

There was a 'scum' in our mason team and that led to damning conclusions

Sorry for my play early game it was prettyy shitty. I think. Was kinda lazy for the marquis thing I think nobody had him as scum late game yeah

Our team came to the same conclusion. Nobody know what to make of Marquis, but nobody really seemed to care either. So chamber and I just wound up soaking up all the heat and the spotlight and Marquis went and did his thing.

And somehow it worked. Spyrex simply never made the argument he needed to make to lynch me, so I basically just hung out and did whatever. He was spot-on about the earlier stuff a la Zivel, but he never connected any of my actions with the actions from the prior slot so I was free to wiggle my way out of that near-lynch. The only reason we even shot him in the end was because we wanted town to be disorganized. Farside was the closest town had to a leader, but she was too inquisitive/uncertain and didn't hold her scumreads accountable for anything.

Also:

chamber wrote:Sorry for draining the energy from this game, I always feel guilty when I win that way.

Your quote about committing was hilarious.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3147 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Post by Shinobi »

Also will point out that daytalk in the neighborhoods really only works if scum is dumb enough to try to use it, since town simply has nothing to hide and just posts in the main thread when they get the chance.

Catching someone trying to bounce scumreads off of players in private should be condemnable by death. Sure, context matters, but town simply gains nothing from having private daytalk unless all of the people in those neighborhoods are confirmed town one way or another. Even if all of those people trust each other, they're still going to post mainly in the thread since they don't gain a lot from hiding information like the mafia does.

The concept behind sectioned daytalk really just gives scum a chance to incriminate themselves by trying and is nothing more than a waste of time/a detriment for town. Town wants more information in the thread and scum doesn't, so town ultimately gains little and scum doesn't want to be obvious.

Example: Oversoul was pressuring me and didn't tell anyone about it. We ended up looking like buddies and he was incriminated because he didn't tell town about what was going on. Just a taste of how detrimental that kind of power can actually be for town, because I certainly wasn't telling anyone about what was going on behind the scenes.
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3148 (ISO) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:00 pm

Post by Marquis »

i slightly disagree
link in bio
Shinobi
Shinobi