Kilgamayan
Kilgamayan
Goon
Kilgamayan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3075 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:29 am

Post by Kilgamayan »

I think the major problem with gut reads is that they do little to nothing in the way of convincing other people. By and large, no townie is an island; what good are correct reads if no one listens to you?
Well, this game happened.
~ Edible
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3076 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:35 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 3074, ActionDan wrote:I mean sure. On the whole I think if you were to run this setup more you'd have like a 7/3 town/scum win split.

I absolutely agree that the partial day claims were bad. but the night choices were mostly fine in the situation we were in. I'd also like to point out that using the immunity spellcard would have been led to my lynch anyway considering Red the nightless castle. It would have been deduced that either muffin failed or I failed.

Probably, but there would have still been a bit more wiggle room than there was. It wouldn't have been set in stone. Also, the odds of me hitting the one scum that wasn't either investigation-immune or able to completely fuck my shit up if I targeted them wasn't great.

I mean there was easily potential for about a bazillion town bodies by D2/D3 if abilities were used slightly differently / hinted at slightly differently.

See, for example, the last Touhou Upick (though I guess you could argue the scum team was incredibly lucky in that game).

I tend to think FakeGod setups in general are more town-sided than scum-sided, but I think scum win most FakeGod games so *shrug*
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3077 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:40 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

Also the red thing wouldn't have mattered so much if you all played spellcards (which I think was optimal play even if you didn't know about the red thing - I quite literally would have blown my entire load of spell cards N1 as scum in this game, it was by far the most important night in the game even without retrospect, that is just how these Touhou Upicks work).
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #3078 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:43 am

Post by FakeGod »

zMM is correct

optimal play as scum is to blow every defensive card in n1

every cop card goes off n1, and any town player who's holding the investigative card n1 is gambler, esp given that Touhou Upicks only flip character + alignment
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
ActionDan
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3079 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 am

Post by ActionDan »

Ok that's not at all taking in any consideration of the game state though.

Our defensive cards were 1-roleblock, 1-investigative ascetic, and 1-spellcard PGO. Katsuki wasn't going to get targetted that night when the vulnerable scum were Sakura and Ooba. And frankly, it was unlikely I was either.

Sure there was "potential" for things to work in the scum's favor, but that's nothing compared to the sheer amount of useful town power.

Like even if zMM didn't hit any scum he gets a result that's better than a pure cop shot. It is better btw.
I'll give you a moment to let that sink in
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3080 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

Well, if you're looking at the balance of the setup overall, I'm just saying that even if it did happen to be town-sided, there were still a *lot* of options for scum to play things differently and use spellcards in a way that would have meant things played out entirely differently. Like, no offense, but if scum had played a stronger game to the point where one of them didn't get vig killed N1 and had perhaps used spell cards differently or come up with different gambits around their spellcards, the game could have (and likely would have) played out entirely differently.

If we're talking about just how this game played out, then yeah, scum may have driven themselves into a corner. I don't think that's a fault of the setup, though.

(I also think you're really underestimating how hard it is for town to figure out exactly what is going on in a setup like this.)
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3081 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:06 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

(Also, both you and Sakura had ascetic spellcards so it was actually 2x)

(And Ooba was naturally investigation-immune)
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #3082 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:08 am

Post by FakeGod »

Katsuki can also pick to become Godfather I think

are Godfathers explictly Normal?
ActionDan
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3083 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:08 am

Post by ActionDan »

In post 3081, zMuffinMan wrote:Sakura had ascetic spellcards

she did not
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3084 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:11 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

according to the mod PT she did

yes, only to spellcards, but that's like 95% of all the dangerous abilities in the game
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3085 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 3075, Kilgamayan wrote:I think the major problem with gut reads is that they do little to nothing in the way of convincing other people. By and large, no townie is an island; what good are correct reads if no one listens to you?

Kinda.

My playstyle is basically push gut reads and try to get reactions to build upon those reads, then really push when I feel like I've found scum. I never try to be a major town bandwagon starter unless my reads are strong enough to warrant it. Generally when I end up having that role when I'm not trying to, it means I'm way off track and scum are trying to take full advantage of that (also, if you ever are bored and want something hilarious to watch, look at LoL mafia in the subforum for this one and look at how I took a lot of control in the game and did a lot to destroy the town itself. It's the perfect example of this). I rarely ever lay out all my cards on the table and only lay them out when I believe it's time to.

Funnily enough, I believe that is why I rarely get mislynched.
thdgkdms
thdgkdms
Goon
thdgkdms
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3086 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 am

Post by thdgkdms »

I can't believe I let myself get talked into joining another mafia game.
I hate you all and I'm going to disappear forever. Probably. Until next time.
Also, GG.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3087 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:22 am

Post by Ankamius »

Kilga we should play again. I think we could really do some work in other games.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #3088 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 am

Post by FakeGod »

did anyone not read the sample role PMs prior to game start?

now now be honest please raise your hand in silent shame
The_Relentless
The_Relentless
Goon
The_Relentless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3089 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:19 am

Post by The_Relentless »

sorry about signing up only to replace out like immediately, for some reason my brain goes "well yeah you've enjoyed zero of the mafiascum games you've played but this one's totally gonna be different". it's OK though because I'm quitting mafia forever.

my vig crumbs were 100% real. i was going to use one of my shots to shoot drezi or somebody (actually Ankamius if I thought I could get away with it) and the other as Nightkill 2. i was planning to use my spellcard-PGO card N1 and claim it immediately, saying that i was so loud about my vig because i wanted to draw a roleblock card but didn't think any town roles would be on me.

also if i got ran up i was planning to go "NO WAIT GUYS I CAN CONFIRM I'M TOWN" then later "whoops the mod just told me Innocent Child is passive and not active so my role can't use it" to see if that would fake people out.

my picks:
- Yukari
- Patchouli
- Futo
- Raiko

yall suck for vigging futo btw
thdgkdms
thdgkdms
Goon
thdgkdms
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3090 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:22 am

Post by thdgkdms »

btw i know that the spellcard is spelled "judgement"

that i can understand

but

is there a particular reason MS has a red squiggly underline when i try to spell the word correctly?

judgment

what the fuck?

WHY, RED SQUIGGLY LINE? I'M RIGHT HERE. YOU'RE THE ONE THAT'S FUCKING WRONG. GTFO
American spelling.
thdgkdms
thdgkdms
Goon
thdgkdms
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3091 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:26 am

Post by thdgkdms »

Aluminum.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #3092 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:28 am

Post by FakeGod »

I hope you guys had fun, dear friends of Shadoweh.
The_Relentless
The_Relentless
Goon
The_Relentless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3093 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:31 am

Post by The_Relentless »

re: Dan in graveyard: I changed my posting style for my initial two big catch-up posts but my actual way of talking was the same as always basically. I expected everybody to figure it out like instantly even though SB was the only one I actually told but I guess none of you are as good as I am at player guesses!!!!

fun fact thdgkdms messaged me like two days in about how he was surprised nobody knew who I was and I had to be like "don't get me modkilled dude"
The_Relentless
The_Relentless
Goon
The_Relentless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3094 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:39 am

Post by The_Relentless »

also seeing people go "yeah kats sucks but the slot could be town due to relentless" over and over was ego++
thdgkdms
thdgkdms
Goon
thdgkdms
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3095 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:48 am

Post by thdgkdms »

Well I messaged you after you replaced out and avoided anything really game related so there's that.
The_Relentless
The_Relentless
Goon
The_Relentless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3096 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:52 am

Post by The_Relentless »

oh oh actually I really wanted to shoot GiF but the lilies made it too hard to play dumb to about the mason crumbs and get away with it :X Oh well
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3097 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:44 am

Post by Sakura Hana »

In post 3083, ActionDan wrote:

she did not

I had an spellcard that made me immune to spellcards that directly targeted me and would cause the spellcard users to know the card failed.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Sky_Paladin
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3098 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:57 am

Post by Sky_Paladin »

Thanks for running the game, FakeGod :)

I was really happy with my character and role. I was disappointed that I essentially wasted every card.

I think Muffin was the voice of reason that held the game together.

I am glad to see that Katsuki was scum, so a lot of my frustration towards the player has diminished - he was painted in to a corner and literally all he could do was rage. All is forgiven.

Pie, no harm done, all is well.
ActionDan
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3099 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Post by ActionDan »

In post 3097, Sakura Hana wrote:
In post 3083, ActionDan wrote:

she did not

I had an spellcard that made me immune to spellcards that directly targeted me and would cause the spellcard users to know the card failed.

Well then. Guess I forgot about it completely.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”