Song Contest 202 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:47 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Definitely entering, unsure of what at this moment
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:19 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Bumping this because it's been a few days. I put less thought into this than usual, but I like the song and hooe you do too!
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:23 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Ooo do we get to rabble?
I haven't been part of a rabble in a while!
- Jingle
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #22 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:56 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Ooo! Okay, now that toolenduso is in...

Rabble!
- Jingle
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #29 (isolation #4) » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:03 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Spoiler: toootally not doing this last minute guys, that's ridiculous!

Sweden: Lola Blanc - Real Boy
Oh cool, this is like a dramatic retelling of Pinocchio. Kinda.
It was a bit heavy for my liking, but I know that's on purpose.
I like talking breaks in songs, this one definitely felt weird with its contents but I think it did add to the song.

Mali: Bartees Strange - Heavy Heart
I really like this! The intro is great. His voice comes in so nicely and has a great timbre to it.
I wasn't huge on the guitars and the punch up in energy they brought but I think it worked out rather well.
I think without that this could have been a great lamenting ballad taylor swift style and I'm kind of disappointed it didn't go in that direction.
That said, the direction it took worked.

Wales: Odette - Mandible
I will forever be a fan of audio panning.
This is like a really polished "spilling my heart in a song on youtube" vibe and I am a huge fan of that. That's why dodie always gets to me.
I'll definitely be looking more into this artist.

Kazakhstan: Lil Uzi Vert ft. Bring Me the Horizon - Werewolf
Is this always what LUV sounds like?
The intro like someone is talking in the distance was cool. I wasn't fond of the rest.
The floating synth sounds were cool and kind of reminiscent of In the End by linkin park.
It's not great when a song reminds me of another song I'd far rather be listening to though. Sorry.

fSwatini: Beverly Glenn-Copeland - Colour of Anyhow
First off, great country name XD

Secondly, I see this is on a jazz channel and I feel that, especially when the flute comes in. But I like the strong singer-songwriter feel of this.
Great voice! It floats so perfectly over the instruments and just has such a nice feel to it. It reminds me of Anne Murray actually.
I don't think the chord at the end was necessary and it kind of felt out of place, but that is the only negative thing I'd say about this song.
I would definitely put this on and enjoy it. Her voice is just so warm!

Hoverboards: Måns Zelmerlöw - Fire in the Rain/Heroes
Not available in my country!? This is discrimination!!!

Kidding. I did have to use this alt link though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSCkXZMrSE8
It's not live, so I may miss something that was added by the performance which was intended here.

Nice voice again! It reminded me of Peter Hollands in this case. I find he makes things just a bit too crisp, which I did find here as well, but I guess making a voice sound too nice is a silly thing to say.
It had the right amount of power to the delivery, a good mix, and a good voice. Nothing overwhelmed where it shouldn't. Nice piece!

Ireland: Lauv - Drugs & The Internet
Lauv has such a cool voice!
I think a couple things in this song don't work unless you are watching the video, like the phone's dial tone. It wasn't added musically, it was just added. I'd hope a radio edit does not include that and I'd probably have a few more points for this if it were said edit.

That said, I really liked this and I can relate to it, as I'm sure many on the site can, as I too have had times where I traded my friends for [in my case drinks] and the internet.
Very enjoyable!

Earthsea: Yesterday's World - Circulatory System
I don't know what I expected from a band names earthsea, but I don't think it was sergeant pepper era experimental hippie rock.
It had it's time, but it's a little hard to listen to nowadays and actually follow.

eSwatini: Chloe Adams - Dead to Me
Oh, this is mine! I guess I contributed to the overall heavier feel of the contest this time. Oh well.

I like the whole Billie Eilish Bad Guy feel of this and the direction she went with it. The muffled distortion applied in the base, the pauses in music for accentuation, the feeling behind the words that make it feel real, I just like the whole thing and I think it was put together very well to capture this feeling of betrayal and the slap back from it.

Denmark: Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rock'n Roll, Morning Light Falls on You
This has that unpolished punk voice over generally polished rock guitar, neither of which are things I gravitate towards.
It also felt like he was bored singing it which did not make me very interested in it. Sorry.

Peru: Sorry - Perfect
I generally like the call and response duet type song, like Little Talks does.
But this one wasn't my thing musically, and it felt like they were trying to sing over each other while this wall of sound tried to drown them out.
I mean, from the video, that's probably what they were going for, but meh from me. Sorry.

Chile: Sam Cooke - Bring It On Home to Me
Ah, what a classic!
It really reminded me of Oh! Darling! by The Beatles (that's twice I've referenced them in the same contest, wow!)
I checked the release dates and it looks like this well predated their song, I'm guessing they ripped it off at least partially, not that this would be their first time doing so.

It's nothing groundbreaking as a song, but it was nice to listen to. I like the style and the sound.

North Korea: Sky Eats Airplane - Numbers
I just don't understand and I don't think I ever will.
It's not bad in the, uhmm, emo break. But yeah, no. Sorry.

Ecuador: Nita Strauss ft. Alissa White-Gluz - The Wolf You Feed
I like their hair, and it's cool to see representation in the genre.
I like the parts where she sings kinda Evanescancey. I don't like the rest of it. Sorry.

Scythia: Asja Kadric - Fear Not This Night
This is great! Epic, sweeping song. Great buildups. Clear, beautiful voice. Good layering.
I'm guessing she has broadway training from for annunciation.
I like that the song never gets carried away. Sometimes songs of this ilk get too big as they build and are almost afraid of taking it back down it seems. This never got to that point. It felt like there was more, like the journey would continue even as you crested a mountain top. It was very well done!

Tough contest for me this time. I had to give points to some I really wasn't fond of. The top 5 I quite liked though!
I'm glad there is diverse music and a lot of different tastes represented here. Sometimes it's heavier on ones that don't fit my taste and that's fine. I hope I wasn't too harsh or anything! If so... Sorry.
- Jingle
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #45 (isolation #5) » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:46 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 42, schadd_ wrote: the siphoning points from aristophanes strategy prevails
- Jingle

Return to “General Discussion”