NFL Football Thread 2013

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (isolation #0) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:19 am

Post by Brian Skies »

I prefer Boldin. Sure, he's not the same deep threat Smith is, but he never was. I've always admired Boldin's reliability and toughness since he played with a broken jaw while he was on the Cardinals. Plus, I don't think it's fair to knock on Boldin's productivity since being matched up with Flacco (who, as the antithesis to Romo, seems to only perform well in the playoffs).

Smith is more attractive to owners, but that's because he's younger and there aren't a lot of other viable deep threats.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:26 am

Post by Brian Skies »

As a Steelers fan, I'm continuously feeling the woes of our aging defense and lack of a viable running game.

Although, I'm extremely interested in seeing how Adrian Peterson, RG III, and Russel Wilson play this year. I think they all have great character and are tremendous athletes. I also agree that Luck is a little overrated, but is a lot better than his stats show (Wayne was a monster last year, but was his only legitimate weapon).
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (isolation #2) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 31, KageLord wrote:
In post 30, chesskid3 wrote:
In post 28, Brian Skies wrote:As a Steelers fan, I'm continuously feeling the woes of our aging defense and lack of a viable running game.

Although, I'm extremely interested in seeing how Adrian Peterson, RG III, and Russel Wilson play this year. I think they all have great character and are tremendous athletes. I also agree that Luck is a little overrated, but is a lot better than his stats show (Wayne was a monster last year, but was his only legitimate weapon).
Do you support rape?
I don't get it.
Neither do I. You might as well ask notscience if he supports murder or Eagles fans if they support animal abuse.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (isolation #3) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

I was actually talking about Ray Lewis. And neither Lewis nor Roethlisberger were convicted. Vick served his time, most of his earnings goes to paying off the debt he accumulated whilst on the Falcons, and is working to better both himself and his public image. If you have a problem with them, take it up with the judicial system, not the fans that support their teams (emphasis on team).

Also, you shouldn't judge one franchise based on the actions of one player. You're undermining all the players, coaches, and staff (both current and former) efforts to create a tradition and history worthy of praise. You might as well single out the Patriots (as statusquo did) and the Bills as well.

@chesskid : Don't be so bitter.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (isolation #4) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

First of all, Lewis and Roethlisberger weren't proven to have broken the law. The key word is proven. And the great thing about the U.S. is that you are innocent until you are proven guilty. Once again, the key word is proven. And if you dislike all these teams like you said you do, why did you single me out instead of the others (already have proclaimed Eagles, Pats, and Ravens fans)?

It's fine you want to be all goody two shoes, but you are missing all the good that comes out of some of these franchises because of one player. I'm starting to think you just have a huge chip on your shoulder against the Steelers. Also, to answer your question, I don't support rape. But I sure as hell think murder and killing innocent animals to be far greater crimes.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (isolation #5) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

And I also believe in the benefit of doubt and second chances.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (isolation #6) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

It's a cyclic league. A team shouldn't be good every year. But we're still good enough to beat the crap out of whoever sets foot onto the same field.

As for you, settling isn't the same as guilty. Everyone has reasons they want to settle. And you are still tunneling on one player. Get over it.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (isolation #7) » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:00 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 45, PJ. wrote:
In post 40, Brian Skies wrote: And the great thing about the U.S. is that if you are rich and/or white enough you can't be proven guilty
FTFY
Pretty funny. Thanks for the help.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #52 (isolation #8) » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:02 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

Either way, I'd like to put this behind us and talk about what really matters : football in 2013.

Not surprised to see Matt Leinart, Tim Tebow, and Vince Young getting cut. Tim Tebow makes me sad, but the other two never had the drive or work ethic to make it as an NFL QB.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (isolation #9) » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:27 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 54, PJ. wrote:Vince Young is the best player out of those 3. Really shitty that he had a mental breakdown after his sophmore slump. I really think that guy could of been something. Definitely the most disappointing bust in quite some time, given his talents.

I really don't feel sorry for Tim Tebow in the least, because he is in a good mental state and is generally a good guy but is being very stubborn and sticking to his guns on this QB thing. He got his fair shot on at least 2 of the 3 teams he has been on, probably fairer then he deserves given his talent in comparison to other talented athletes that didn't get a shot at QB in the NFL. If he was half as grateful for those shots as he says he is, he would move on and accept that he could make a good living in the mold of a Chris Cooley FB/TE Hybrid. Would I be happy if he had a Pat White-esque return in 3 years? Yes, but if he selfishly sticks to his guns on this he deserves to journey as difficult a road as White, or possibly even more difficult cosidering he primarily earned his shots at being an NFL QB by being white, Christian, handsome, a hugely famous celebrity, all-around good guy, and having a great "work ethic" and not by being any good at throwing a football or making reads.

Congratulations to Pat White for making the Redskins 53-man roster, loved this guy at West Virginia and I feel he has always been a much better passer than the likes of Tebow. I would definitely add him to the list of people I'd rather have playing starting quarterback over Ryan Tannehill, Blaine Gabbert, or Mark Sanchez
Yeah, I said Tebow makes me sad, not that I was sad for him. I feel like he has the skill set to succeed (not necessarily excel) at the NFL level. His skill set just doesn't fit in as QB. His stubbornness is likely what's holding him back and the Patriots cut him for it.

I agree that Young is the best of that bunch, but he and Leinart partied too much. That's hardly the work ethic that makes a good college football player into a viable NFL starting QB. Also, I never saw why Gabbert was so highly touted as a prospect. He never did anything spectacular in college. I blame Rex Ryan for not developing Sanchez and I think it's too early to grade Tannehill right now. I say wait and see how Tannehill develops.

Pat White is a decent QB, but his chances don't seem that great behind RG III and Kirk Cousins.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (isolation #10) » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:13 am

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 57, PJ. wrote:
In post 55, Brian Skies wrote: I agree that Young is the best of that bunch, but he and Leinart partied too much. That's hardly the work ethic that makes a good college football player into a viable NFL starting QB. Also, I never saw why Gabbert was so highly touted as a prospect. He never did anything spectacular in college. I blame Rex Ryan for not developing Sanchez and I think it's too early to grade Tannehill right now. I say wait and see how Tannehill develops.

Pat White is a decent QB, but his chances don't seem that great behind RG III and Kirk Cousins.
I'm pretty sure Young wasn't a party guy. The big thing was he tried to commit suicide after his sophomore slump/first game of his third season where he throw two picks, went out of the game and then was forced back on the field by Fisher and got hurt 4 plays later. His confidence was shattered and never really came back, and Fisher and Young never were on the same page again.

I agree on Gabbert. He was a checkdown machine in college( AY/A of 6.5) and was much worse then his Missouri Tiger predecessor, The third person speaking Chase Daniel, whom didn't pan out in the NFL(and went undrafted), so I'm not exactly sure why he was drafted so high either. Especially in a draft with Kaepernick and Dalton in it.

Speaking of the 2011 draft, Ponder is also terrible and it is crazy that he got drafted as high as he did. Add him to the list of terrible starting QBs

Mark Sanchez is a bonafide scrub. Rex isn't the reason. Work ethic isn't the reason. He's just bad. The team he was successful in the NFL ispretty much was the same as the one he did well on in college. It had a dominant running game, tall wideouts, a good tight end, and an amazing defense. The main reason he was drafted so highly is the pool was shallow and he had a really good bowl game against an overrated Penn state defense. He also is tall and played in a pro style offense.

I absolutely hate Ryan Tannehill. He's the embodiment of white(qb) priveledge. As a wideout turned quarterback in college in a very basic spread offense. He was a checkdown monster with bad mechanics, average accuracy, poor pocket prescence, completely devoid of a deep ball even though he was rumoured to have good arm strength. In the pros, he has striaghtened out his mechanics which improved his accuracy but he still isn't being asked to make complex reads, his decision making is still poor, as his pocket prescence(16 sacks on a guy who was a wide out). Although he has made strides, I don't think he would of ever been given the privilege to do so if he were black.
In post 56, Thestatusquo wrote:Tim tebow is not a good guy.
He kinda is, He easily makes the top 20 or so percent or NFL Good Guys.
Young is a party guy. And he mismanages his money for it.

And I agree that Ponder is terrible and should never have been drafted in the first two rounds. Sure it was a shallow draft and many teams needed QB's, but there were much better options.

Locker disappoints me at times. As a Washington Huskies fan, I had this small waning hope that he'd be successful. His biggest knock in college was his accuracy. But if you watched his games, you could see the apparent lack of talent surrounding him and his WR's dropped A LOT of good passes. But in the NFL, he shows flashes of being a lesser Brett Favre, then disappears into mediocrity. I don't know if it's the lack of production around him (Chris Johnson, offensive line, WR's not named Britt), or if he's just not cut out for it. His preseason wasn't too bad, so I hope this is a sign of better things to come.

In post 58, Thestatusquo wrote:He supports evangelical organizations that are among the most homophobic and awful in the entire world, even going so far as to offer to speak at their churches. He's a homophobic jackass.
Being extremely religious doesn't make you a bad person. He spends almost all of his free time helping the community because that's what he likes to do. And the only reason why we know about it is because people like to share his endeavors (he himself doesn't share anything). Sure he's a bad football player, but he's definitely not a bad person.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (isolation #11) » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

Pretty sure Jacksonville already has enough shitty QB's on their roster.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (isolation #12) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:55 am

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 65, Jake from State Farm wrote:If RG stays healthy I say we win the division yet again and if the entire team is healthy, I'd say NFC championship game is a lock
Even though San Fran and Seattle have more talent? Redskins are good enough to make it there, but there are better teams in the NFC.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (isolation #13) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:48 am

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 69, Jake from State Farm wrote:takes more than talent to win a SB.
Also pretty hard to win without it. I'm not saying the Redskins can't make it there. But they're in a conference with the likes of San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, Green Bay, and Atlanta. Not to mention the possibility of Minnesota (unlikely with Ponder at QB) and Detroit breaking out this year. Sure the Redskins are good, but it's an uphill battle for them, even if they remain healthy.

As for their division, I think they should win that easily.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (isolation #14) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:49 am

Post by Brian Skies »

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge RG III fan and would love to see them make it there. I just don't see it as being a lock.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #76 (isolation #15) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:14 am

Post by Brian Skies »

If you want even more evidence, look at the Minnesota Vikings during Randy Moss' rookie year.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #84 (isolation #16) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 am

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 79, Benmage wrote:
In post 40, Brian Skies wrote: Also, to answer your question, I don't support rape. But I sure as hell think murder and killing innocent animals to be far greater crimes.
I'd kill every animal out there before raping someone.....
But do you support murder? If the answer is no, then O.J. Simpson and Ray Lewis should have been targeted first. And in case you haven't noticed, we had proclaimed Ravens fans before I posted.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #85 (isolation #17) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:47 am

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 82, chesskid3 wrote:
In post 68, Rob14 wrote:
In post 42, chesskid3 wrote:If he were innocent he wouldn't have settled. End of story.
Very, very not true. Often, settling is just more convenient and better in the long-term financially and PR-wise. If you're innocent and want to go to trial, you have to pay a team of lawyers. That shit isn't cheap. It also involves a long media spectacle that would likely destroy one's career.
Sorry but when the rich defendant settles with the dirt poor plaintiff that means he's guilty.
Or the dirt poor plaintiff was just looking for an easy check, which she got. If the rich defendant goes to trial, even if that person is proved innocent, their reputation is already ruined (see Ray Lewis). And in a situation like a professional football player's where the longer a court case lasts the less able he will be to earn his paychecks (playing in games), it's almost always better to settle (even if innocent). The risk is greater for the rich person (even if they're innocent) than the dirt poor plaintiff (who not only has nothing, but has nothing to lose because they're the person doing the accusing).

As for whether or not he is actually a rapist, this still doesn't answer my initial question to you. What does being a Steelers fan have to do with supporting rape? If you shop at Wal-Mart and their CEO is an accused pedophile, does that make you a supporter of pedophilia? It's a slippery slope at best.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #90 (isolation #18) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:37 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 87, chesskid3 wrote:
In post 85, Brian Skies wrote:
In post 82, chesskid3 wrote:
In post 68, Rob14 wrote:
In post 42, chesskid3 wrote:If he were innocent he wouldn't have settled. End of story.
Very, very not true. Often, settling is just more convenient and better in the long-term financially and PR-wise. If you're innocent and want to go to trial, you have to pay a team of lawyers. That shit isn't cheap. It also involves a long media spectacle that would likely destroy one's career.
Sorry but when the rich defendant settles with the dirt poor plaintiff that means he's guilty.
Or the dirt poor plaintiff was just looking for an easy check, which she got. If the rich defendant goes to trial, even if that person is proved innocent, their reputation is already ruined (see Ray Lewis). And in a situation like a professional football player's where the longer a court case lasts the less able he will be to earn his paychecks (playing in games), it's almost always better to settle (even if innocent). The risk is greater for the rich person (even if they're innocent) than the dirt poor plaintiff (who not only has nothing, but has nothing to lose because they're the person doing the accusing).

As for whether or not he is actually a rapist, this still doesn't answer my initial question to you. What does being a Steelers fan have to do with supporting rape? If you shop at Wal-Mart and their CEO is an accused pedophile, does that make you a supporter of pedophilia? It's a slippery slope at best.
If right next to that Wal-mart was a store with the exact same prices that didn't have a CEO accused of being a pedophile and I deliberately went into the wal-mart knowing this, yes it would.

There's 32 teams in the NFL. Some are better than others at not having scumbags.

So you're the type of person to judge people and institutions off of accusations alone? If you are, then there is no merit in pursuing this debate any further. You can continue this discussion by yourself.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (isolation #19) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:01 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 91, Jake from State Farm wrote:There is no need to debate IMO.
Not like it would go anywhere. Can't have a debate when neither party is willing to change stances.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #98 (isolation #20) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

NFC:
East: Redskins
West: 49ers
North: Bears
South: Falcons
Wildcard: Seahawks/Packers

AFC:
East: Patriots
West: Broncos
North: Ravens
South: Texans
Wildcard: Bengals/Chiefs

Superbowl:
49ers d. Texans

Mine are pretty similar to Benmage's. But that's just the current state of the league, I guess.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #99 (isolation #21) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 97, pickemgenius wrote:IM SO EXCITED TO GO LIKE 2-14

WOO RAIDERS BEST TEAM EVER!
Bet you guys still get the biggest bust in the draft!
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #113 (isolation #22) » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:28 am

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 112, Jake from State Farm wrote:Mental note: watch the fsu games from now on
Wait...when did FSU become relevant again?
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #178 (isolation #23) » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

Cowboys are always over-hyped. But since I haven't heard anything about them being a possible favorite this year, they might actually make the playoffs (lack of usual distractions might be good, and Jason Garrett supposedly isn't calling the plays anymore). And I agree Romo is an underrated QB. Just don't have faith in him when it goes down to the wire.

And by the way, if it counts for much, the Cowboys are one of three teams that I despise (Broncos and Pats being the others).
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #194 (isolation #24) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:17 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

yea, pretty good calls overall chesskid

the season ending injury was a longshot tho
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #225 (isolation #25) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rooting for the Jets this week for the sole purpose of the elimination thread.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #233 (isolation #26) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:22 am

Post by Brian Skies »

In b4 Cam brings back the suggestion box.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #239 (isolation #27) » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 235, Antihero wrote:
In post 233, Brian Skies wrote:In b4 Cam brings back the suggestion box.
suggestion: don't call plays like you're an 11-year-old playing madden
It was a joke. :(
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #436 (isolation #28) » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 434, Egg wrote:Rings are a team accomplishment. Yes, I said that doesn't make them the best team for the year. I firmly believe this. However, it's a great accomplishment to make it out of the gaunlet that is the NFL playoffs. And that's on the team as a whole, not just the QB or Head Coach.
Ravens in Super Bowl XXXV. The defense carried Dilfer hard that season.
In post 434, Egg wrote:Point is, rings don't make a QB.
Fran Tarkenton - 0
Jim Kelly - 0
Dan Marino - 0
Warren Moon - 0

All in the Hall of Fame. All great QB's.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #441 (isolation #29) » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 437, kuribo wrote:whenever I hear him on ESPN as a quarterback expert I laugh my ass off
Lololololol. I always laugh when they bring up his credentials. I'm just like....seriously? This guy is the best you can do?
In post 438, kuribo wrote:the patriots with Brady and Moss were absolutely, 100% the greatest team of that season. Offensively, maybe even one of the greatest teams of the last 30 years.
I agree with this statement. The Giant's defensive line didn't get enough credit that game and I still think Justin Tuck should have gotten Super Bowl MVP. His first half was amazing and was a large reason why they were even still in the game.

I still like the Vikings offense during Moss' rookie year. They had a really good shot at winning the Super Bowl until that kicker choked.

Dan Fouts (another HOF QB with 0 rings) had some really good offensive performances throughout his career on the Chargers. They were a nightmare for opposing secondaries.

Return to “General Discussion”