Tell me a story!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:21 am

Post by Candice »

Spoiler: A story about one of the most ridiculous conversations I've ever had on the internet
So a few months ago, I'm looking at my newsfeed and see a post from the page "I fucking love science" about NASA's latest "what if" design for a warp drive. Thinking it's cool after I read the article, I share it. Less than a minute later, an acquaintance I met through a Facebook game comments "fake".

Well, okay, then. I did what I needed to in order to confirm that it was real and believable to me, but we're all entitled to our opinion. I let it slide.

Later that week, the IFLS page posts a roundup of breakthroughs and such of the week, and the warp drive story is included. All of the articles this particular week are interesting, so I repost that one. This acquaintance, again, within a minute, shows up and says that she believes that article to be fake. I'm thinking to myself, fine, but you already posted that you think it's fake and I ignored it then, so this time I engaged. The following conversation then occurred.

Her: Pretty sure the Warp Drive one is a fake.

Me: No, it isn't. NASA has a page about it on its site.

Her: It could be a fake redirect.. because why isn't my dash flooded with stuff on it? I'm a Trekkie and it would definitely be the hottest topic on the net right now. There's a lot official looking NASA fake sites out there.

Me: It isn't a fake redirect. Google "nasa warp drive" and nasa.org is right at the top of the list. Unless you've got a source that says it's fake? snopes.com has nothing on it and the only hits on google are actual articles.
Me: nasa.gov. Pardon.

Her: Still not going to trust it until see it on my dash. I take the Mulder approach to life.

Me: Okay, but actual rocket scientists > sci fi fans (and I say this as a Trekkie myself, lol). Enough science websites have posted about it (as I said, including NASA themselves) that I believe it isn't fake.

Her: But the picture looks like a fake sci-fi film... not an actual reality... so yeah... pardon me for not even trusting NASA on this.

Me: That's fine, but unless you have a reputable source debunking NASA.gov, I WILL believe it. You can stop posting that it's fake on my page. :p

She unfriended me immediately after that.
"Don't let go; never give up, it's such a wonderful life..."
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 am

Post by Candice »

I have seen that, and I love it so much. That little piece of new technology is
awesome
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (isolation #2) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Post by Candice »

Sounds like the border staff is used to taking contraband off unsuspecting passengers, imaginality. :giggle:
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (isolation #3) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Post by Candice »

New story.

Spoiler:
So this week I went to Houston to visit a couple of friends. I'm from the Philadelphia area, so I spent quite a number of hours in airports to do this. Returned to Philadelphia today.

Connecting flight was in Atlanta, and we pull into the airport when my iPod Touch says it's almost 3 PM. My flight out boards at 4. I'm like, "Sweet! I've got time to get food and a shotglass!" (I collect shotglasses. :] ) After passing a couple of the fast food places, I then think to myself, "Eh. I'm tired. Let me find my gate first and call my husband to let him know I'm here. Then food and shotglass."

I do find my gate, and I sit down and connect to the airport's free WiFi to chat with one of my friends for a few minutes while I'm on the phone with my husband, and the subject turns to what time my flight boards and leaves. Boarding starts at 4:07 PM.

At that moment, I look at my iPod to see what my friend typed to me, my gaze fixes on the time, and I go, "Whoa shit!" Because it wasn't just after three. It was just after four. I'd forgotten about the time zone difference. Cue ending both conversations and frantically trying to find my boarding pass.

I got dinner out of the deal, though. By the time my husband came to pick me up at Philadelphia airport, all I'd had to eat today was a cup of coffee, a soda, and two bags of airplane peanuts. I was HUNGRY and really sad I didn't get more crappy airport food. But dinner out made up for it.
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (isolation #4) » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:02 am

Post by Candice »

In post 29, TellTaleHeart wrote:The time Antihero was hit on by a 7-year-old

[Our neighbors have an seven-year-old girl and this exchanged happened at a neighborhood get-together]

Girl (to Antihero): You're cute.
<Antihero says nothing but is visibly uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation.>
Girl: Have girls told you you're cute before?
Antihero: No
Girl: Do you have a girlfriend?
Girl: Can I be your girlfriend.
Girl: Why not?
Antihero: Because I'm too old. I take out my teeth at night and put them in a cup and pretty soon my hair's going to turn grey and fall out!
Girl: Ewwwwwwwwwww
<Girl walks away>
Girl: Old people are gross.

:lol:
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (isolation #5) » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 am

Post by Candice »

That actually reminds me of my first time drunk, Beli. I was 17. 21 is the legal drinking age here but I was married and general feeling amongst the legal adults I was living with/around was that if I was old enough to get married, I was old enough to drink. I'd had a few beers and wine coolers every now and then, but nothing big until my then-husband's best friend brought over a huge bottle of tequila. I took a sip and told them I didn't want anymore, but they encouraged me to keep drinking it because after a few shots, I wouldn't care about the taste anymore.

Long story short, they were right, and I ended up under the dining room table drinking out of the bottle with my husband and his friend first panicking because they didn't know where I was, and then panicking because I'd drunk almost the entire bottle. It wasn't really all that funny and I got so sick over the next couple of days.

Except for me crawling under the dining room table so I could hide the bottle with me. That's still funny.
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (isolation #6) » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 am

Post by Candice »

Piss in it, no.

Puked in it, though.
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (isolation #7) » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Post by Candice »

BWAHAHAHAHA! That is AWESOME, Belisarius!
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (isolation #8) » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:49 am

Post by Candice »

The cop car at the end made me crack up, Jingle. Perfect ending.

Return to “General Discussion”