Song Contest 102 (Entries up, votes due 1/17!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:40 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 8, Parama wrote:personally the 80's is like my least favorite decade of modern music and there's at least a decent bit of 60's stuff that's okay but :P
This is surprising to me given the kind of stuff you usually enter.

Also, I entered! I'm happy I finally got to submit this band. This is the first contest they've been eligible in since I started participating.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:43 am

Post by toolenduso »

Oh you said LEAST favorite. Thought you said favorite. OK the world is back in order.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (isolation #2) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:29 am

Post by toolenduso »

I like how there are all these nice little short songs and then one half-hour monster.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (isolation #3) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Post by toolenduso »

I mean I clicked through to every couple minutes through the song to see if anything ever happened and then I was just like nah not worth it.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (isolation #4) » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:47 am

Post by toolenduso »

Kugelmugel - Childish Gambino - Redbone: Pretty crazy he decided to go rap-less on the new album. Don't know if I've ever heard of a rapper doing that before. Pretty cool though. Diggin the song. OK, this is pretty awesome. That bassiness, man. It's my weakness. This song is like, some funky-ass shit. Yeahhh. GREAT. OK, this is just noice. I'm gonna have to listen to the rest of the album. GREAT.

Greece - Death Cab - I Will Possess Your Heart: Noice. I really can't believe Death Cab has never been entered, that's so weird. I do really like this song. So hard to be objective when people enter artists I like. I mean, this song is just very awesome though. The long buildup, the effortless interplay between instruments, the weirdness of the lyrics. It all just works so well. GREAT. Found myself wondering at the beginning of this song whether it was all that great. By the end I was back into it. This song is great. GREAT.

Kazakhstan - Fantastic Negrito - Lost in a Crowd: Fuck. Punchiness. Blues. Soul. This is good. GOOD. It's the rhythm. I love that rhythm. It takes what I love about blues and amplifies it, then strips away the stuff that bores me about blues. I think I gotta bump this one up. GREAT.

Spain - Public Service Broadcasting - Gagarin: This is pretty cool. Very groovin'. That bass. That horn section. That bridge. I actually think the motif of relying on old radio broadcasts works really well here. The music is interesting enough that it deserves most of the attention, but then these samples add a vocal component as a sort of freestyle rhythm backing instrument. It's cool. GOOD. Yeah, I definitely like this, but for some reason it's not grabbing me like my favorite songs do. GOOD.

Iceland - Ihsahn - Celestial Violence: Like the off-kilter rhythm of the acoustic guitar in the intro. Oh good it returns, with the drums accompanying. Yeah the rhythm is really cool. All righty then. GOOD. Backing strings are really cool too, didn't notice that before. I do like this, but again, not grabbing me. GOOD.

Azerbaijan - Tre Mission - Stigmata: Very good rapping. Like the track. Damn good rapping. GOOD. I do like this, and I might check out more from him. But I don't love it. GOOD.

Macedonia - in the blue shirt - Cluster A: OK so first of all, hell yes to this video. Second, is this like DJ Earworm or something? I mean I can hear Lorde but the more distorted samples I can't tell. I am liking this. Like if you're gonna do a remix this is how I like it. Weird, creative, rhythmic, fun. And with some flute thrown in for good measure. For now I'm gonna say GOOD. Was thinking this might go up to great, but I don't think it really belongs there. It's catchy, and I like it, but ultimately this type of thing is just always going to have a hard time being significant to me. GOOD.

Sealand - AMK - Oh, the Germanity!: Playful piano is cool, vocals compliment it very nicely. Short but sweet. GOOD. This seems like the kind of song where, even though I like it, I'm pretty sure I would become quickly bored if I checked out the rest of their stuff. Oh well, lots of stuff goes that way. I do like this. It's just very authentic. GOOD.

CAR - Dire Straits - Private Investigations: Well, the guitar is neat-o. And it's cool they use like xylophone or whatever that is around the 4:30 mark. Still, this is just kind of a minimalist jam. Idk, man, idk. DECENT. More interesting second time around. GOOD.

Finland - Lim Kim - Rain: Pleasant AF. I enjoyed this. GOOD. Yeah I just like this even though it honestly ain't much. GOOD.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (isolation #5) » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Post by toolenduso »

In post 107, The Bulge wrote:Some day tool isnt gonna like my entry and i wont know what to do with myself
Ya know, you have had a very good stretch of submissions. I just looked back at 'em. Last one I didn't like that much was Action Bronson, and that was all the way back in SC92.
In post 108, Parama wrote:I only got his 6 so he basically hates it
Untrue!!!
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (isolation #6) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 110, Zachstralkita wrote:Tool, I can send you some Tre Mission stuff if you want. He's pretty slept on considering most people don't know who he is.
Sounds good to me!
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (isolation #7) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Post by toolenduso »

In post 105, Formerfish wrote:Belize- Oceana- Barracuda Capital of the World- Slow start, then it hits. I dig it.
In post 116, kraska77 wrote:belize started out so good...but then about a minute through.... wtf happened :/
can't win
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #211 (isolation #8) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 am

Post by toolenduso »

Congrats formerfish!

At the beginning of this contest, my money was on Death Cab. Then I heard Redbone and I thought Childish would win. But I am entirely ok with the actual winner. Quite good. I am very down with the current funk-blues-disco revival that appears to be happening in music.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #214 (isolation #9) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:43 am

Post by toolenduso »

Oh and also I appear to have gotten very good at picking songs that end up in the middle of the final results.

For anybody who liked Belize (Oceana)....the song I entered is actually extremely different from the bulk of the band's stuff. I'd recommend the Clean Head EP overall (Barracuda is track #2 on that one), but the band's other two albums were both some subgenre of -core.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #215 (isolation #10) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:44 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 212, Psyche wrote:ok now where's the cure for cancer you promised a cure for cancer
Yeah I know but I gotta get the next song contest going first
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #217 (isolation #11) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:46 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 214, toolenduso wrote:the band's other two albums were both some subgenre of -core.
Not saying they're bad, btw. Their first album (The Tide) I quite enjoyed.

Return to “General Discussion”