Song Contest 103 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Post by Apricity »

Here we go.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Post by Apricity »

Please use my second entry, thanks!
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Post by Apricity »

In post 116, KuroiXHF wrote:
In post 114, Errantparabola wrote:
Spoiler: thoughts about my song, the ballade. maybe don't open if you haven't listened? idk
I don't expect a lot of people to like this. As far as classical music goes, it could seem not grand enough, like it drags on, or any number of complaints other people might have.

However, this is, in my opinion, the cornerstone of Chopin and of the romantic period, without a doubt. It's incredibly rich in every way, it takes it time, it knows what's up. I've never listened to a more emotionally impactful song, and Zimerman's interpretation is the best of the best. Playing the Ballades is a difficult task-- the range of emotions that each one encompasses is intricate and very open. The 4 pieces have been described as "programmatic" - that is, to tell a story - but Chopin would probably have disliked that description. The story is in the performance, not outside of it, in a name or tale ascribed to the piece. Each piece is a world, but it's one unique to the performer, and the difficulty lies in trying to find that for yourself.

The 4th Ballade starts off with a plot twist. It first appears that the left hand carries the melody, but it then surprise-- the right hand's soft repeated octaves were carrying the melody the whole time. I always take small pleasure in that when I listen to the piece.

The first, and main, theme is a famous one, and interesting in that it takes quite a long time to resolve. Two repeated sets of 5 notes, and then a slow, deliberate path to the key note. It's always a wonderful feeling listening to that theme. The counterpoint in this piece is also more complex than perhaps any of Chopin's other works, and it's almost ethereal in its most implemented moments.

This piece was written in 1842-43, and Chopin's health took a sharp turn for the worse during those years. He would struggle with illness for 6 more years until his death. Sometimes I wonder if, at the time of the writing of this piece, Chopin knew his days were numbered.
Are you the one consistently putting in the classical music? Kudos if you have.

I feel like a lot of people are going to just throw away the classical music because you're not going to find a multitude of women showing off their breastsicles and it's not generally as catchy as today's music, but I love a lot of it. I also have respect for the skill and complexity of the music.

But you're right. This song in particular wasn't so much for me. I'd be happier with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.
I submitted classical a few contests ago...La Campanella and the Weiniawski violin concerto were both my entries.

Return to “General Discussion”