Polyamory

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Polyamory

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Post by Ythill »

I'm involved in a long-term polyamorous relationship and, like most topics, I'm open to talking about it. Over the time I've been here, it's raised some questions and started scattered discussions. I figured it was time for a thread. First I'll answer the most recent questions, then give some general information about our lifestyle before opening the floor for discussion.
Xda wrote:Out of interest, ythill, do you ever get worried that your wife will leave you for these guys?
Not worried. The only reason she would have to leave me is to be monogomous with someone else and what choice is that, really? If she can have both of us, why would she pick just him? The only reason I can see is if our relationship has gone sour and, if that's the case, then we would need to end it either way.

I
am
human and there are occassional moments of irrational fear, but they are brief and have grown less frequent and less pronounced as we've gained more experience. So far, these little jealousy bites have been the only major downside weighed against a mountain of benefits.
Xda wrote:Do her crushes ever get freaked out that they can't have her to themselves?
Crushes, obv not. I haven't known most of her actual lovers well enough to answer this. The one who became a friend of mine seemed fine with it. Of my own lovers, only one reacted badly to the situation and I ended that relationship quickly as a result.

What is Polyamory

I think the concept means different things to different people. Generally, it's an open relationship with the primary lover, meaning that both partners have sexual and romantic relationships with other people and no need to lie about it. A lot of people seem to think that polyamory and swinging are synonymous but they are not. Swingers generally limit extra-marital interaction to sex, and often do so only when both parties are directly involved (threesomes, wife swapping, etc), whereas poly couples are free to pursue more meaningful relationships and to do so as individuals.

Obviously, polyamory only works in strong, mature relationships based on trust and communication. Both partners must overcome not only overt jealosy, but its more insidious forms. Both must set healthy boundries, be willing to respect those boundries when they are reasonable, and appropriately question them when they are not. IMO, it's also very important for the primary couple to be together for reasons other than simple sex/romance.

Benefits

As you'd expect, this lifestyle conveys many of the benefits of being single. We can flirt, date, fuck, or whatever when the opportunity arises. We can have meaningful platonic friendships with members of the opposite sex without having to deal with paranoia. We can go out with friends, come home late, and not have to answer dramatic questions.

We also enjoy most of the benefits typically associated with being in a normal long-term relationship including love, stability, freindship, etc. Like other married couples, we benefit from the partnership financially, socially, spiritually, and for shared goals like child-rearing. However, being poly has added some perks. There is a level of honesty between us that I have never experienced in a monogomous relationship. When one of us needs to talk (or get advice) about something going on with another lover, we have each other to turn to. Also, with the lack of compulsory monogomy, we are both motivated to keep our relationship fresh and meaningful on a regular basis.

In addition to all of this, there are some side benefits that surprised me. I tend to have a lot in common with the people my wife likes. A few of her crushes and one of her lovers have become good friends that I may never have met if we were in a monogomous relationship. My standards for casual dating have gone down (I'm not looking for Miss Right), alowing me to explore relationships with people I wouldn't have otherwise considered. At the same time, the quality of my long-term non-primary relationships has improved, which I attribute to a combination of two factors: I'm not lonely enough to compromise and I've got a second opinion to help me avoid trouble.

Drawbacks

Jealosy has been the only real drawback between us. We've learned a lot about it. I could probably write an entire post about this subject, so I think I'll just leave it at this: there are levels of jealosy that most people don't see or admit to and that only become obvious once the overt stuff is long gone, but they -like overt jealosy and all fears- can be overcome.

The preconceptions, judgment, and taboos of other people (potential lovers, friends, parents, etc) can be hard to deal with as well. This can manifest as obvious negativity and obstacles, but it's worse when it's less obvious. For example, a lot of girls are fine with casually dating a single guy but not somebody who's married, even though they know I have her blessing. Some will ignore this and date me anyway, then it surfaces as discomfort later when, for example, they are talking to one of their friends about me and happen to mention my wife. Meeting a non-primary's parents is
very
awkward. I think this is similar to the tribulations faced by gays: the way we live is unconventional and a lot of people equate that with immoral.

So...

That's all off the top of my head. If you have questions, feel free to post them. If you have your own experience or conjecture to share, please chime in. And if you just want to make jokes about hitting on my wife, that's okay too.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:39 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

How did it come about?

One of you poly and introduced the other to the lifestyle, both poly before meeting or both started mono and became poly?
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Cliquey
Cliquey
Goon
Cliquey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:46 pm

Post by Cliquey »

"Cheating" into a relationship is like the #1 sin in my book. This just feels.... bad
I make accounts and PM people so they can feel popular and loved
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:50 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

How many relationships have you tried to maintain at one time? How do you find the time do such?
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Cobalt
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
trollface.jpg

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:53 pm

Post by Cobalt »

Why did you feel the need to share personal details about your life on an internet forum? Do you think this reflects poor judgment or merely an egotistical overestimation of the interest strangers have in your lifestyle?
hatersgonnahate.gif
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:10 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

I don't think I could do this. But it sounds like a very positive experience if both partners can enjoy such a relationship.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:14 pm

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

I have a question. How hot are these women of yours, exactly?
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:25 pm

Post by Porochaz »

Cliquey wrote:"Cheating" into a relationship is like the #1 sin in my book. This just feels.... bad
This isnt cheating. Cheating is something you do to get one up on another person by devious and hidden means. This relationship has neither devious (by the sounds of it) or hidden (by extension it sounds the exact opposite) tendancies.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Post by Ythill »

TBM wrote:How did it come about?

One of you poly and introduced the other to the lifestyle, both poly before meeting or both started mono and became poly?
Both had experience with it before. Started mono because we didn't want paternity to be in question, went poly after our son was born.
Cliquey wrote:"Cheating" into a relationship is like the #1 sin in my book.
I agree with you, if monogomy is the arrangement. Breaking the trust of someone that close to you is just crappy. However, I think that a lot of the damage thought to be caused by "cheating" is actually caused by dishonesty.
VP wrote:How many relationships have you tried to maintain at one time?
Depends on how you define relationship. At one point I had a semi-serious but mostly platonic girlfriend that I hung out with a couple times a week, and another girl that was just a playmate I saw occasionally, but that's far busier than normal. I'd assume it's similar to (but a bit less prolific than) the average single person in my demographic: lots of flirting, an occasional tryst, and a rare special someone that I want to spend a lot of time with.
VP wrote:How do you find the time do such?
My wife and I both work full-time and have our own interests, so there's not a problem there. With the other relationships, they tend to be more like friendships than traditional dating in this regard, which is actually very refreshing in that it doesn't eat up a ton of my time.
Cobalt wrote:Why did you feel the need to share personal details about your life on an internet forum? Do you think this reflects poor judgment or merely an egotistical overestimation of the interest strangers have in your lifestyle?
Both, obv. :P

It comes up tangentially in a lot of conversations, on here or anywhere. Rather than repeat myself, I figured I'd start a thread. Maybe share experiences with other poly scummers. Those "strangers" who have no interest don't have to be involved.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:46 pm

Post by UncertainKitten »

How do you think an imbalanced poly relationship works? I mean, assuming both parties are fine with it? It's part of a power imbalance thing so it's kinda expected that things get a little odd.
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
is probably never going to happen. You all probably knew that.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Post by Ythill »

ABR wrote:How hot are these women of yours, exactly?
Is this where I get to brag? LOL.

Most have been very hot. The ones that weren't have been desireable for other reasons (intellect, stuff in common, etc). I'm not comfortable posting people's pics without their permission but my wife doesn't mind, nor does Danielle, who was a lover of ours for a long time.

UK wrote:How do you think an imbalanced poly relationship works? I mean, assuming both parties are fine with it?
I'm not sure what you mean. What sort of imbalance?
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:08 pm

Post by DrippingGoofball »

What if your wife started to date FABIO ????
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:14 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

How beneficial is polyamory to you sexual repitoire? (eg. do you guys teach each other techniques you experience with other partners?)
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:18 pm

Can we see a couple more face pics here, some of us are trying to get off. No but seriously, that's really cool, more pics would be nice as well.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Post by Hoopla »

I really think polyamory is a sensible life option, but most people I've talked with seem to automatically discount this as a viable lifestyle. Even when I've been involved in open relationships, additional relationships for me have almost always been just physical, with them generally being from monogamous backgrounds. To me, it's odd such people can submit themself to something physical - while emotional attachment is deemed as a bigger no-no.

Have you found this to be true? To me, it almost seems like a compromise from the monogamous mindset, half submitting themself to something that undermines their choice, but still unable to realise this to be the case. When you meet someone, do you wait before telling them about your lifestyle? What sort of reactions/opinions/arguments do you get from people?
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:50 pm

Post by UncertainKitten »

ythill wrote: I'm not sure what you mean. What sort of imbalance?
A situation where one side of the relationship is polyamorous and the other monogamous. It's an odd situation but um...my friend feels better devoting herself to the person she loves, whereas the person she loves prefers to keep several girls but...she doesn't mind this at all, and generally doesn't feel too jealous about him and such. Is this sort of thing doomed to eventually fail or can it work out?
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
is probably never going to happen. You all probably knew that.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:58 pm

Post by Ythill »

DGB wrote:What if your wife started to date FABIO ????
If he buys her a Ferrari, I get to drive it.
shaft wrote:How beneficial is polyamory to you sexual repitoire? (eg. do you guys teach each other techniques you experience with other partners?)
Not so much, but only because we're already very experienced. We would share if it ever came up and maybe it will someday.

LOL @ ABR. I posted enough to answer your question. Both can be found nude online if your google-fu is good enough.
Hoopla wrote:I really think polyamory is a sensible life option, but most people I've talked with seem to automatically discount this as a viable lifestyle. Even when I've been involved in open relationships...
You are hearby recruited into the discussion. I'm by no means an expert and would love to hear answers/opinions from others who have been down this road even a few blocks.
Have you found this to be true?
Absolutely. The two major camps seem to be "let's just do it" and "let's be monogomous eventually" with varying degrees of honesty about their PoV. Those rare exceptions are awesome though.
When you meet someone, do you wait before telling them about your lifestyle? What sort of reactions/opinions/arguments do you get from people?
Assuming that you're talking about potential lovers. I wear a wedding ring and talk about my wife. If there's chemistry, I bring up our lifestyle in a roundabout way. Telling a story that involves two lovers interacting usually avoids the awkwardness. I wasn't always this wise though, and I've gotten some funny reactions. The most entertaining was time I waited to tell the girl until we were on our first date. She shrugged and said, "Nobody's perfect." My absolute least favorite reaction is a flirty rendition of, "I'd be poly too, but I don't think my boyfreind would go for it." Cheaters give me the creeps.
UK wrote:It's an odd situation but um...my friend feels better devoting herself to the person she loves, whereas the person she loves prefers to keep several girls but...she doesn't mind this at all, and generally doesn't feel too jealous about him and such. Is this sort of thing doomed to eventually fail or can it work out?
If it's okay with them I don't see why not. I think the key here is whether the girl in your example is free to do what makes her happy. If she feels like she's allowed to see other people but chooses not to, then I don't see what's wrong with it, except that she'll have to deal with his un-faced fears if and when she changes her mind. If she feels like she's been manipulated into a one-sided situation, then it's not healthy IMO.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:03 pm

Hey, don't leave me...hanging.
Cliquey
Cliquey
Goon
Cliquey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 pm

Post by Cliquey »

Porochaz wrote:
Cliquey wrote:"Cheating" into a relationship is like the #1 sin in my book. This just feels.... bad
This isnt cheating. Cheating is something you do to get one up on another person by devious and hidden means. This relationship has neither devious (by the sounds of it) or hidden (by extension it sounds the exact opposite) tendancies.
Those weren't quotes around the word or anything.
I make accounts and PM people so they can feel popular and loved
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:11 pm

Someone can PM me the links...thanks.
Cobalt
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
trollface.jpg

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Post by Cobalt »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:Hey, don't leave me...hanging.
hatersgonnahate.gif
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:Someone can PM me the links...thanks.
Porn is the easiest thing to find on the internet
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:17 pm

I don't want porn...I want Ythill's wife and their ex-lover...
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:21 pm

Post by Porochaz »

What is the aim of a polyamourous relationship as in is it just because you dont settle down with the one person, or is it a chance to do things you might not necessarily do or want to do with your wife?
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Hey ythill, are you open to the possibility of someone else growing or evolving into the position of your (or your wife's) primary lover?

Return to “General Discussion”