Sudo Explores Alcohol!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Sudo Explores Alcohol!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, those of you who know me, know that I don't drink. However, as some of you also know, I've been in an experimental mood as of late, and I figured it was time to move it along to another category. I figure, so many people enjoy drinking, there's got to be something to it; besides, if I don't enjoy it, I can go back to not drinking.

My problem, such as it is, is that I've tried drinking various beers, boozes, and liquers my friends have offered me, and all of them taste like death. So I'm a mite curious, as to whether this means I'm genetically programmed to not drink, or if I just need suggestions. And since I know there are a few drinkers among our audience, I reach out to you (but not literally) for advice. If nothing else, I'm sure somebody will come up with a good way to troll this thread, after all.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:18 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

OK, you're now one step away from your coming out thread. Score one for teh gays

I've only been drunk once, and also have very little interest in the flavor of alcoholic beverages. I found Bicardi Limon cut with lemonade to be quite palatable.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Unfortunately, I have a horrible allergy to citric acid; it causes me to die. So anything lemon is out.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

My favorite is a gin and tonic with extra lime, but without the lime I would not even bother with the drink, so it's off. I also quite enjoy bloody Marys. It's really a taste thing. I don't think anyone likes the taste of alcohol the first time they taste it. But I love the taste of beer (and will often end the day with one, not to get drunk, but for the flavor)

If you really cant handle the taste at all, I'd suggest something like root beer with malibu, and strawberry daqueris. Really girly drinks, but they hide the taste of alcohol really well. Or, alternatively, you could just be a man and pound 5 shots of straight whiskey. That's how all the cool kids are doing it.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Post by Nuwen »

There's no shame in getting a dressed up drink. Remember sweet doesn't always equal low-alcohol taste (I've met cheap apple martinis that could strip paint).

Go to a
bar
that sells liquor primarily, not a music venue. Order mid-shelf liquors + simple mixers to start acquainting yourself with them. My favorite is a double Tanq (gin) and tonic with extra lime on rocks (ice). Look for drink specials, but not tub mixes at private places. Avoid cheap beers and table wine until you like intoxication enough to not care how you get there.
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5
Cliquey
Cliquey
Goon
Cliquey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Post by Cliquey »

Jaegermeister.

mind you, though... most beerdrinkers drink shit, know they drink shit and don't care that they drink shit because they just want to get drunk cheap.

This is how most hard liquors are too, you get what you pay for. I think we could help you better if you've told us what you've drank, what brand you've drank and how you've drank it. (Beverage, price, preperation)

If you're mixing Vodka, it doesn't matter the quality, if you're drinking it straight. Oh god does it ever.
I make accounts and PM people so they can feel popular and loved
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I agree. To an extent (though I dont really like jager) Vodka doesn't matter once you get to a level of midshelf. I can taste the difference between crystal palace and ciroq even in a mixed drink (not that I would ever mix ciroq) Whiskey is the same way. Jack and coke tastes way better then canadian light and coke.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

ITT the alcoholics reveal themselves.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

sudo hasn't evolved past glycolysis

duh.

or his body probably just sucks at metabolizing it
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I have to take supplement pills to avoid the host of medical problems that come from not being able to eat citric acid. Pain in the ass, really. But that isn't what this thread is about.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:48 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

ShadowLurker wrote:sudo hasn't evolved past glycolysis

duh.

or his body probably just sucks at metabolizing it
Sudo, we have bad news. You aren't a human. You're actually a large congizant colony of anaerobic bacteria.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Cliquey wrote:This is how most hard liquors are too, you get what you pay for. I think we could help you better if you've told us what you've drank, what brand you've drank and how you've drank it. (Beverage, price, preperation)
I don't have a complete list, since not everyone bothered to tell me what it was they were having me try, but according to my memory and the bottles lying around, we've got Coors, Busch, Fat Tire Ale for beers, and Jack Daniels, Smirnoff Ice, Beefeater Gin, and Martini & Rossi vermouth. And some sort of red wine, but the label's been peeled off of that for some reason. I am unaware at the moment of how these may have been mixed; all I know is that this is what my friends were willing to get rid of.
Cliquey
Cliquey
Goon
Cliquey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Post by Cliquey »

Coors and Busch aren't beers. Fat tire is decent. I would recommend you try a nice porter (Black Butte) as well as a good blonde (the Ram's is decent if you live by one in Oregon). I'm not 100% sure what microbrews that we have in Washington that you guys carry, but Bend/Hood River have good microbreweries so you should be able to find some that are good.

Smirnoff ice, vermouth aren't really drinks, toss them out

And I'll cede to someone who likes gin and whisky, but afaik those are some of the harshest drinks to take down. That may just be my experience though.

Hell, you should just get a 4 loco or two and be done with it.
I make accounts and PM people so they can feel popular and loved
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:58 am

Post by Jahudo »

I think most people who aren't drinkers go through an initial period of finding the alcohol taste repulsive. It doesn't mean you need to have top shelf alcohol, because the more expensive wines won't be distinguishable from cheap ones unless you have trained your taste receptors for them. I think the same can work for liquor brands, although there are some varieties of vodka or rum that should not be labeled for human consumption.

Finding a drink to test whether you can like alcohol or not is determining what non-alcoholic tastes you can enjoy. Particular fruits, nuts, chocolate, coffee, mint, the smell of pine trees, getting lost in the rain.
Sudo Nym wrote:we've got Coors, Busch, Fat Tire Ale for beers, and Jack Daniels, Smirnoff Ice, Beefeater Gin, and Martini & Rossi vermouth.
Coors and Busch are light beers and taste bland next to most other varieties.
Jack Daniels is often served with ice or mixed with coke and sipped. I think its a little sweet, a little smokey and has a strong kick.
Smirnoff Ice has a sugary, artificial fruit flavor to it like a grape or orange soda.
Vermouth is an ingredient in some cocktails but not usually a drink by itself. If you had gin, maybe they were mixed for a gin martini?
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:16 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Cliquey wrote:Jaegermeister.
QFT.

Mix with your choice of Coke or Dr Pepper. (Both, if you're feeling adventurous. Do NOT drink straight Jaeger. You've been warned.)
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:33 am

Post by Oman »

Props to you Sudo. Way too many non-drinkers are obsessively anti-drinking. I applaud your open mindedness.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:35 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

Try some Johnny Walker (Black label) or some Bourbon (I would suggest Maker's Mark). Cut it with water until you reach a level that you find tasty.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:19 am

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

Internet Stranger, my bolding wrote:Try some Johnny Walker (Black label) or some Bourbon (I would suggest Maker's Mark). Cut it with water until you reach a level
that you find tasty
Apart from the purist aspect (I never dilute a good whisky with water or ice), this good advice runs the risk of ending up with a homoeopathic dose of alcohol in water.

Alcohol is an acquired taste. Don't give up too soon. Apple cider might be an easy way in.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:36 am

Post by Porochaz »

What are your tastes, I mean like sweet or bitter, how alcoholic would you want to go, etc.

And I thought Smirnoff Ice was a Lemon drink?
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:40 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Cliquey wrote:I think we could help you better if you've told us what you've drank, what brand you've drank and how you've drank it. (Beverage, price, preperation)
For once, I agree with Cliquey.

But not on the vodka thing. In all seriousness, what do you drink in the non-alcoholic sphere?

::edit:: Wait, I see you've posted a list. What did you do, take up a collection? :lol: Gin and vermouth could be good, though Martini & Rossi isn't great vermouth. That's balanced out by Beefeater being fairly solid, though. http://webtender.com is your friend: http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/585 - if it's not dry vermouth, add a little less, probably.

Jack and Coke is a solid 'easy' drink. 1:4 or less, or you could get unintentionally smashed.

People suggesting Jaeger are NOT your friend, unless you have a previously-declared love of black licorice.
Retired as of October 2014.
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:50 am

Post by Battousai »

Sudo_Nym wrote:I have to take supplement pills to avoid the host of medical problems that come from not being able to eat citric acid. Pain in the ass, really. But that isn't what this thread is about.
You know, there are supplement pills that aren't depository...

I personally like hard lemonade, but you can't drink that. Most of the decent tasting drinks are with citric acid.
TonyMontana
TonyMontana
Mafia Scum
TonyMontana
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:01 am

Post by TonyMontana »

I'm disturbed by all the suggestions of brown liquor to someone with an aversion to alcohol.

When I need an easy drink, vodka/sprite does the trick. It's just like sprite, only makes you woozy.

I've also taken a liking to red wine as of late.
Upcoming
Mini
Theme: Rainbow Six|Siege Mafia
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:08 am

Post by Porochaz »

Love straight Jager and jagerbombs. mmm Licorice.... mmm alcohol... Midouri, I havent had midouri in ages. Spiced Rum and Coke, Kopparberg, Summer fruits or apple, not pear. The only thing that pear cider is good is Bulmers apple and pear cider. I have a slightly sweet tooth when it comes to drinks...

Vodka Sprite is nice but generally you drink it to get drunk, its not different from the norm, if your wanting something different, you don't choose vodka-mix as its not overly different from a soft drink.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
ReaperCharlie
ReaperCharlie
Jack of All Trades
ReaperCharlie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:13 am

Post by ReaperCharlie »

I don't drink either. Any alcohol I've tried tastes/smells terrible, and I'm not a fan of the whole "I'm-not-in-control-of-what-I'm-doing-and-might-do-something-completely-embarrassing-to-me-or-others..-wheeeee!!!" thing.
Show
"Take me to Pleasure Town!" "Look, the most Glorious Rainbow Ever!" "Do me on it!" -

Spoiler:
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê

ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê