Tell me a story!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Tell me a story!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

I'm often bored at work, and coerce whoever is in the site chat lobby to "tell me a story."

Now it's your turn!

The only thing I ask is the following:
  • Spoiler the story so they are easily found in the thread and easier to select on a mobile phone -- or not (JINGLE) :lol: This one really doesn't matter.
  • No "I threw a rock over a bridge. The end." It should at least fall under the definition of a story.
  • The story should be TRUE! :]
  • Try to keep this civil and respectful.

That's all!

NOW TELL ME A STORY. <3
Last edited by EspeciallyTheLies on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art is cool.
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:21 am

Post by Candice »

Spoiler: A story about one of the most ridiculous conversations I've ever had on the internet
So a few months ago, I'm looking at my newsfeed and see a post from the page "I fucking love science" about NASA's latest "what if" design for a warp drive. Thinking it's cool after I read the article, I share it. Less than a minute later, an acquaintance I met through a Facebook game comments "fake".

Well, okay, then. I did what I needed to in order to confirm that it was real and believable to me, but we're all entitled to our opinion. I let it slide.

Later that week, the IFLS page posts a roundup of breakthroughs and such of the week, and the warp drive story is included. All of the articles this particular week are interesting, so I repost that one. This acquaintance, again, within a minute, shows up and says that she believes that article to be fake. I'm thinking to myself, fine, but you already posted that you think it's fake and I ignored it then, so this time I engaged. The following conversation then occurred.

Her: Pretty sure the Warp Drive one is a fake.

Me: No, it isn't. NASA has a page about it on its site.

Her: It could be a fake redirect.. because why isn't my dash flooded with stuff on it? I'm a Trekkie and it would definitely be the hottest topic on the net right now. There's a lot official looking NASA fake sites out there.

Me: It isn't a fake redirect. Google "nasa warp drive" and nasa.org is right at the top of the list. Unless you've got a source that says it's fake? snopes.com has nothing on it and the only hits on google are actual articles.
Me: nasa.gov. Pardon.

Her: Still not going to trust it until see it on my dash. I take the Mulder approach to life.

Me: Okay, but actual rocket scientists > sci fi fans (and I say this as a Trekkie myself, lol). Enough science websites have posted about it (as I said, including NASA themselves) that I believe it isn't fake.

Her: But the picture looks like a fake sci-fi film... not an actual reality... so yeah... pardon me for not even trusting NASA on this.

Me: That's fine, but unless you have a reputable source debunking NASA.gov, I WILL believe it. You can stop posting that it's fake on my page. :p

She unfriended me immediately after that.
"Don't let go; never give up, it's such a wonderful life..."
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:25 am

HAAAAAAAaaahaha Candice, good! "The Mulder Approach" lol...

(Which reminds me - have you seen the synthetic leaf that converts sunlight/CO2 to oxygen! DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION HERE WE GO!!)
Art is cool.
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 am

Post by Candice »

I have seen that, and I love it so much. That little piece of new technology is
awesome
Jordan_Downey
Jordan_Downey
Goon
Jordan_Downey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:29 am

Post by Jordan_Downey »

So ETL's mean and impatient, so here goes.

This was several years ago in the middle of an elementary school.

I was teaching a scout troop alternative methods of lighting fires, starting with steel wool and 9 volt batteries. Having done this many a time before I was very careful to put the steel wool in my right pocket and the batteries in my left. About half an hour later, I dropped my battery into my pocket, thinking nothing of it.

I continued to think nothing of it, right until the point where my leg got uncomfortably warm. I reached into my pocket and retrieved the ball of fire the steel wool had become.

Being in the middle of a elementary school gymnasium where it is illegal to light fires, I held the ball of flaming steel wool in my hand confused for a moment, before sprinting towards the door. Naturally, the air from running made the fireball even bigger. (Seriously, it was really cool.)

Unfortunately, I didn't even get superficial burns, but there is still a mark on the floor where flaming steel fell.
Jingle // aphix

Both of us will forget to sign posts constantly. Our posting style is different enough that you can deal with it.
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:30 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

Spoiler: My Story
Well my school had an event a few months back, it was called...Sex Toy Bingo. You played Bingo for sex toys. So there were about 200 people at the event. This was in a bar on campus too. So ya ya ya played bingo with some friends until...

BPC won!

Well kind of won...Someone else called bingo at the same time as me. So, how do they resolve this?

TIEBREAKER

The tiebreaker is usually a sexually charged game, this case is no different. My opponent and I go to the stage. This was a guy I'm up against, on stage in front of 200 people. This guy is a classic, douchey looking, "I don't really wanna be here" kinda guy.

Anyways, the host announces the competition...He pulls out two dildos and two condoms. It's a race to put the condom on the dildo.

Only that wouldn't be too bad...so of course there was a twist.

The host announces we can only use our mouths.

Well the other guy? He high tails it, he noped the fuck out. The host is like well we still need a comp, so he asks for a volunteer! And this girl shoots right up, runs up to the stage, she wants a frikken sex toy.

So I'm like "Oh shit, Im gonna have to do this".

Well the whole audience is like "Okay this guy is gonna lose and embarass himself".

The host tells us to get ready, giving us our materials. And the girl and I get ready...

And the host says go!

Well...
I won

So now I have put a condom on a dildo in front of 200 people in a bar...in a very quick amount of time. I go get my prize and go sit back down. (I got all the high fives). So the night goes on, and the event ends. I'm just outside of the bar with some friends chillin out and I see the girl who I beat coming out. So I see the girl and I'm like "I should tell her like good try or that was fun or something".

But what comes out was not that...

"You're gonna miss out on the fun!"

And the look she gave, just utter shock and anger. She said nothing and just kept walking on. I didn't stop cringing for a long time afterwards. My friends also made fun of me mercilessly.

So that's my story! Sorry if there are any formatting issues, I mostly copied this over from site chat!

TL;DR: Won Bingo, deep throated a dildo, and made a fool of myself.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 am

Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:07 am

Alright :P One of my own.

Spoiler: The most wasted I have ever been in my life
This happened about 4 years or so ago, not long after I had just moved out here. I had basically dismantled my marketing company when I left NYC and had decided to go back to school. To accommodate the new schedule, I went back to waiting tables for a bit. After my first couple of weeks, the crew wanted to take me out to celebrate the end of my training to their "usual spot". I didn't have a car at the time (didn't need one in NYC, and didn't even have a license!) so I normally didn't even work that late since the buses stopped running at like 9 pm. My section mate had agreed to take me home IF I went out with them after we closed down the restaurant. Of course I agreed.

It was a Friday or Saturday night, so we didn't get out of there until close to 1:45 am. Bars here close at 2, so we ran over for last call. They ordered for me, telling the bartender that I was new. Two Long Beach Iced Teas (it's a regular LIT, but with cranberry instead of cola). What I didn't realize was that my uniform granted me a PINT GLASS of the stuff, and
so little cranberry juice it was still clear
. I took one sip and I was like, "There is no way I'm drinking this in 15 minutes." The bartender said, "If you can finish one of those in 3 minutes, it's on the house!" So two other girls put straws in and helped me, and we sucked down both of them within about... 60 seconds.

I went from zero to zombie in.. time that I don't even remember. The next thing I knew, we were outside the bar, sitting at the patio tables, talking about... Spiderman or something. Then we were in the bushes. Then I was looking for a shoe. (My shoe? I don't remember) Then I was in a car, but I don't think it was the person who said they were driving me home. Then I was at the bottom of the stairs in my apartment building, yelling up at my boyfriend to help me (at 4 am!) Then I was in the bathroom, with my boyfriend telling me to puke and me trying (and failing I think) to tell him I didn't know how. Then I was laying on the floor in the bedroom, watching the X Files, with my face in a colander for some reason. You know, the thing you drain spaghetti in? My boyfriend said he had to help me out of my uniform after I passed out, and her found a leaf on my ass, and ... I ... still don't know how it got there.

I had to work the next day, with the
most brutal hangover I have ever had
, and I never drank that much ever again.

MOAR STORIES PLZ! <3
Art is cool.
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Post by imaginality »

A couple of stories from my English teaching days:

Spoiler: Don't look down
This took place when I was teaching English in the Czech Republic. A group of us had just finished our ESOL training and celebrated by going away for the weekend to a town called Český Krumlov. Lovely picturesque place, lovely picturesque bars. On the Friday night, I fell asleep while standing in one such bar, waking up with my pint glass still in hand, which I feel is somewhat impressive on both counts, but this story is about an event later that night, when we were wending our way very drunkenly back to our hostel. As we crossed a bridge, my friend Chris leapt up onto the railing at the side of the bridge (balustrade, I think is the technical term for it?), and performed a series of ninja-like jumps, karate kicks, etc. before jumping back down. As he put it, "See, I told you, even when I'm drunk I'm like a cat!"

The next day, we happened to cross the bridge in daylight. Beneath the bridge there was not, as we'd assumed on the moonless night before, the river. Beneath the bridge there was in fact a 10m or so drop onto a road below. Chris's face paled as he realised how lucky he'd been. *shivers*

Spoiler: My career as a drugs mule
This happened when I was on my way back from China to UK by train. It had already been a memorable trip, from the contrasting scenery of autumn in China to the Gobi desert to Siberia, where the trees were already bowed by the weight of snow on them, to the games of blitz chess with Russians over drinks in the restaurant car, to having my wallet stolen in an enterprisng manner in Ulan Bator (the thieves brought passports, told the guard they were travelling on the train, came into our apartment, distracted my travelling companion's attention, and nabbed my wallet which I'd ironically left in there for safekeeping so I wouldn't get it stolen from me while I was out on the platform). There were a few other pulse-raising moments, like dashing the 400m to Lake Baikal and back (to touch the water, a good luck superstition amongst trans-Siberian travellers) in the five minutes the train waited at that station was also fun, while finding ourselves in a Russian bar having drinks with an insistently friendly 'businessman' who sounded increasingly dodgy with each glass was pulse-raising in a more disconcerting way. Now, I was heading from Moscow to Prague on an overnight train, and sharing a compartment with a Russian mother and daughter and a German businessman.

As we approached the border from Russia to Belarus, the guard in our carriage came into our apartment, and gave each of us a bag with a few bottles of vodka in. This was a bit bemusing, but not unwelcome. However, as soon as the border control staff had come through the train to check our passports, the guard came back and collected the bags. At a quick calculation, if he'd given bottles to everyone in the carriage then that was maybe a hundred or so bottles of vodka that he'd managed to smuggle across the border. So, technically, I'd been a drugs mule... Postscript: The German businessman later told me that he'd been on another trip where a similar event had occurred; that time, the border staff had come through the train to find everyone wearing identical fur coats!
"holy shit this entire time i thought imaginalitys profile was a purple seahorse" - camelCasedSnivy
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:03 am

wow imaginality - quite the traveler! when he handed you the bottles, you didn't ask any questions? lol..
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:07 am

In post 4, Jordan_Downey wrote:I was very careful to put the steel wool in my right pocket and the batteries in my left.

You apparently did not! :lol:
Art is cool.
caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:00 am

Post by caledfwitch »

Spoiler: this is rly short
I take journalism at my school, and because there was only like sixteen people in the entire class, everyone knew each other pretty well. Also I say dumb things and people laugh really hard and write down great quotes by me on their phones for some reason or another.

So I've just sat down in my seat one morning, and the senior behind me asks me: "Hey, do you have any lip balm?"

I didn't have any, but I didn't want to disappoint her either, because she was super nice. Instead of maybe redirecting her to someone that actually had lip balm, or politely telling her that sorry, I had none, I ended up saying: "Sorry, I don't have any; I already have naturally soft silky lips."

And everyone in the gosh darn classroom heard it, and then this other girl sitting diagonally behind me starts cackling really hard. Like, it's the loudest I've heard any single person laugh ever.

After that, kids in journalism quoted me and my silky soft lips, among other things, at almost every opportunity they got. It's not a great thing to be remembered for, but what can I say! That's one of my stories.

I hope this story is legible. o3o
must i have a gender.. is it not enough for me to simply b kinda hot sometimes

2x mafiascum member of the month !! wowowowee !!!
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:07 am

Post by Bins »

In post 5, BipolarChemist wrote:
Spoiler: My Story
Well my school had an event a few months back, it was called...Sex Toy Bingo. You played Bingo for sex toys. So there were about 200 people at the event. This was in a bar on campus too. So ya ya ya played bingo with some friends until...

BPC won!

Well kind of won...Someone else called bingo at the same time as me. So, how do they resolve this?

TIEBREAKER

The tiebreaker is usually a sexually charged game, this case is no different. My opponent and I go to the stage. This was a guy I'm up against, on stage in front of 200 people. This guy is a classic, douchey looking, "I don't really wanna be here" kinda guy.

Anyways, the host announces the competition...He pulls out two dildos and two condoms. It's a race to put the condom on the dildo.

Only that wouldn't be too bad...so of course there was a twist.

The host announces we can only use our mouths.

Well the other guy? He high tails it, he noped the fuck out. The host is like well we still need a comp, so he asks for a volunteer! And this girl shoots right up, runs up to the stage, she wants a frikken sex toy.

So I'm like "Oh shit, Im gonna have to do this".

Well the whole audience is like "Okay this guy is gonna lose and embarass himself".

The host tells us to get ready, giving us our materials. And the girl and I get ready...

And the host says go!

Well...
I won

So now I have put a condom on a dildo in front of 200 people in a bar...in a very quick amount of time. I go get my prize and go sit back down. (I got all the high fives). So the night goes on, and the event ends. I'm just outside of the bar with some friends chillin out and I see the girl who I beat coming out. So I see the girl and I'm like "I should tell her like good try or that was fun or something".

But what comes out was not that...

"You're gonna miss out on the fun!"

And the look she gave, just utter shock and anger. She said nothing and just kept walking on. I didn't stop cringing for a long time afterwards. My friends also made fun of me mercilessly.

So that's my story! Sorry if there are any formatting issues, I mostly copied this over from site chat!

TL;DR: Won Bingo, deep throated a dildo, and made a fool of myself.

WHAT what school is this? You're in my city so like.. what. You don't have to say if that's too personal but like I'm dying that sounds awful but still hilarious.
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:24 am

In post 11, caledfwitch wrote:"Sorry, I don't have any; I already have naturally soft silky lips."

:lol:
Art is cool.
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Post by Candice »

Sounds like the border staff is used to taking contraband off unsuspecting passengers, imaginality. :giggle:
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:54 pm

Post by sthar8 »

I'm a story guy!

Spoiler: Remember the story about fording the river and climbing the glacier?
The third night, we slept around this tiny little lake on top of the mountain. It was cold enough to act as refrigeration, so we made instant cheesecake in a bowl and floated it in the lake until it was done. The next day we started down the mountain, and I learned that while I have no problem climbing
up
a rock face, going
down
totally freaks me out. Still, I made it without having to be lowered like the dog. That afternoon we were hiking down through an old-growth forest, and it rained so hard that my 'waterproof' rain gear bled its green dye into every unbagged article in my backpack.

The fifth day was our last on the mountain and the older guys were starting to show their age so we reorganized our hiking order a little. The older kids were given a radio and sent on ahead, the adults brought up the back. Since the older kids couldn't be trusted to stay to my pace and the adults were way slower than me, they gave me my own radio and let me hike in the middle by myself (note that this is
fantastically
against the rules). Over the course of the day, we get spread out over maybe 5 miles, but we were keeping in touch via radio. We were stretching the effective range due to terrain, but never out of contact for very long.

So about 8 miles from the end of the trail, the route cuts down into a little valley and follows a creek. The valley is filled with tall grasses and wildflowers. It's absolutely beautiful, and of course swarming with mosquitoes. And my radio goes off, "*crackle crackle crackle* trail. *crackle crackle crackle* water." So I transfer my ski poles to only one hand and unhook my radio, "Say Again?" I figure the older guys are stopping for a water break and calling to say they'll wait on the trail.

"*crackle crackle crackle* water *crackle crackle* bridge!" The grass is taller than me now, and thick right up to the edge of the trail. "Guys I can't hear you. What about the bridge?" Now I'm worried that there's another bridge out and I'm gonna have to ford another river.

The radio is silent for a few moments. "Guys? Guys?" I come around a corner, and just have time to register that the trail is now made of wood before WHOOSH! my foot slips out from under me and I hit the deck. 80 lbs of gear and 200 lbs of kid hit hard on the wood and it knocks the air right out of my lungs. My radio goes flying, the ski poles are swinging around and all the heavy and hard stuff in my pack drives hard into my lower back.

I'm gasping and wheezing and trying not to cry while I flail around like an upside down turtle, and my radio crackles from right next to my head, "Watch out on the trail! There's water flowing OVER the bridge, and it's very slippery!"

So I roll over to discover that yes, there is about 2 inches of water on the bridge. And it's quite cold. And about three inches from my face is a chunk of quartz crystal about the size of my fist. Now the Scouts have a pretty strict "take nothing but pictures; leave nothing but footprints" policy, but I figured the mountain owed me something for the attempt on my life. So I grabbed the rock and stuck it in my pack, and it's sitting on the bookshelf next to my bed right now!

Spoiler: So when I was a sophomore in high school
I was in a senior level math class. And because the universe shares my sense of humor, there was also a freshman in this class named Emily who was ethnically Chinese and
insanely
good at math. She might have had a crush on me, but teenaged sthar was far to oblivious to notice something like that. So one day, I'm sitting on my desk with my back to the door, talking to Emily. And this senior who was also named Steve walks in. Even in the class of super-math nerds, this guy was exceptional for his lack of social awareness. And he interrupts us and says, "Emily! Are you OK? You don't look normal!" And of course, since I'm the devil, my eyes pop super wide and I get all excited. She says "I'm fine" in a very flat tone. But he keeps going, "Are you sure you feel alright? Your skin is kinda yellow." And I'm sitting there, biting down laughter and hiding the biggest shit-eating grin I've ever had. But when he says, completely earnestly, "I think there might be something wrong with your eyes" I just busted out laughing. I almost fell of my desk, and the other Steve is looking at me like I'm a moron. The teacher yells across the room, "What the hell is so funny?"

And Emily, without missing a beat, looks right at me and says "Lacism."

For the next three years, every time I saw Emily I greeted her with "You OK? You're looking kinda yellow."

Eight years later, I went back to my highschool to watch a school play that one of my boys was in. Emily was there to watch her little sister in the same show. We saw each other in the audience and talked before the curtain. "Emily! It's been forever!" I said, "How are you?"

She grabbed me by the chin. "My God!" she said. "We've got to get you to a hospital! Your skin is so pale, and your eyes are so big!"

Spoiler: When I was 19 or 20
I went to a New Years Eve party with some of my friends from highschool. They had all moved away for college, and I was struggling to pay for my school while working full-time and spending as many hours as possible combining my meds with intoxicants. But one of the girls got homesick and moved back, and everyone I hadn't seen in two years got an invite to her shitty studio apartment for New Years.

About 20 people showed up, and I severed a bunch of social ties by bringing a traveller of Jim Beam for myself, popping off the plastic pourer with my pocketknife, and chugging the whole thing in about an hour (a traveller, if you didn't know, is a fifth in a compact plastic bottle. You know, in case you fall down.) I got sloppy fast, which resulted in me making a pass at my best friend's girlfriend
in front of him
and telling a bunch of horrifying stories about my other friends who happened to be drug dealers.

A little later, we went to a park to watch the fireworks. My buddy Matt, who we'd all thought was dead until that night, had discovered that we'd had a fight club in highschool (because of course we did) but nobody had ever invited him. He walked up to me in the middle of the park and said, "I want you to hit me as hard as you can."

So I did.

I sucker punched him and put him on his ass. And then I wandered away and blacked out.

I don't remember it, but apparently he came back for seconds later and we knocked each other around a bit. I'm told I impressed everyone by kicking Matt in the head just before they pulled us apart.

At the end of the night, everyone with a brain had a DD to take them home. I didn't, so I called my Dad. While Matt and I were waiting for our rides in the apartment, I sat up and said "Ow! Why do I hurt everywhere?" The girl who lived there explained patiently, "You and Matt were fighting." I was puzzled, "Why?"
"I have no idea," she said.
"Oh. Did I win?"
Right about then Matt groaned, rolled over, and said "Why am I bleeding?" and she said "Yeah, I think you won."

Incidentally my Dad brought Jingle, who was 13 or 14, with him to pick my drunk ass up at 4 in the morning. He still gives me shit for the things I don't remember saying that night.
Xayzeck
Xayzeck
Jack of All Trades
Xayzeck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Post by Xayzeck »

LOL

Dem asian jokes tho
GMT+8
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Post by Chevre »

Spoiler: Just minutes ago
So I'm having a jolly good time playing The Walking Dead! I had seen playthroughs of it before, but I wanted to play through myself so I could have my own version for Season 2. So I've got all the lights off for maximum spooks, and I'm accidentally being mean to Clementine in Episode One when I guess I felt something on my leg. My mind of course thought it was just the fan, but I look down and see, against the glow of my laptop screen on the white keyboard, GANGLY LONG SPIDER LEGS. So I go into freakout mode; the laptop gets tossed the side and I begin brushing myself off as frantically as possible, and I jump to the other side of the room to get away from any possible threats, and to turn on the light.

Now I guess at this point your expecting the "spider" to be a silly thing, like pipe cleaners or something, LOLNOPE. In front of me on the floor is the biggest wild spider I'd ever seen, definitely not your run of the mill garden or house spider because a) it was HUGE, and b) it was not black or brown. Now I admit I'm scared of spiders, but I can handle typical ones with minimal freakout and a good calming-down, but allow me to present several pieces of evidence which exhibit how traumatized I am:

- even though the culprit of said freakout was on the floor in front of me, I quickly stripped of all my clothes to avoid I guess any relatives from getting me? After this the spider decided to advance towards me, and I was this close to retreating to the living room butt-naked even though my parents could wake up and see me like this
- I grabbed the essentials, aka my laptop sans charger, my phone, and the second book of the Divergent series because I have no plans of sleeping tonight, and retreated to the living room, where I now sit curled up writing this and freaked out by every little tickle of my cats fur.
- Despite my moms warnings that it will ruin the cord, I slammed the bedroom door shut on the stationary fan's cord as to hamper any attempts by the spider to find me on this couch :(

SO SCARED. :(
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:41 am

Post by caledfwitch »

I feel bad for laughing at the Asian jokes. //sweats
must i have a gender.. is it not enough for me to simply b kinda hot sometimes

2x mafiascum member of the month !! wowowowee !!!
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Post by Candice »

New story.

Spoiler:
So this week I went to Houston to visit a couple of friends. I'm from the Philadelphia area, so I spent quite a number of hours in airports to do this. Returned to Philadelphia today.

Connecting flight was in Atlanta, and we pull into the airport when my iPod Touch says it's almost 3 PM. My flight out boards at 4. I'm like, "Sweet! I've got time to get food and a shotglass!" (I collect shotglasses. :] ) After passing a couple of the fast food places, I then think to myself, "Eh. I'm tired. Let me find my gate first and call my husband to let him know I'm here. Then food and shotglass."

I do find my gate, and I sit down and connect to the airport's free WiFi to chat with one of my friends for a few minutes while I'm on the phone with my husband, and the subject turns to what time my flight boards and leaves. Boarding starts at 4:07 PM.

At that moment, I look at my iPod to see what my friend typed to me, my gaze fixes on the time, and I go, "Whoa shit!" Because it wasn't just after three. It was just after four. I'd forgotten about the time zone difference. Cue ending both conversations and frantically trying to find my boarding pass.

I got dinner out of the deal, though. By the time my husband came to pick me up at Philadelphia airport, all I'd had to eat today was a cup of coffee, a soda, and two bags of airplane peanuts. I was HUNGRY and really sad I didn't get more crappy airport food. But dinner out made up for it.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

I always get soft pretzels in the Philly airport
grew up there and miss them
theyre also a great deal for airport food
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:48 am

Uff! I hate airports and that whole entire hellish air travel process. I would rather drive whenever possible.
Art is cool.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:46 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Spoiler: Not all ghosts are white or asian
So this is like 4 years ago, when I was in high school.
After doing some cardio in YMCA, I got tired and decided to use a steam room.
I was sitting in there for like 10 minutes, and some fat mid-aged black woman walked in.
I didn't really pay attention to her because why would I? So she was there for 5 minutes.
And then with a blink of an eye, she was gone. I would've known if the door was opened, because that would let the cool air in.
But I didn't feel that. She was gone. Just like that.
I found it weird so I asked my brother, who was staying in the whirlpool right outside of the steam room, if he saw anyone exiting the steam room.
He said no one went into the steam room after I went in.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:47 am

whoa... that's truly creepy.
Art is cool.
Xayzeck
Xayzeck
Jack of All Trades
Xayzeck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:20 am

Post by Xayzeck »

Spoiler: walls
Checking in on my phone, in the car right now.

I was at Changi Airport, the only airport in Singapore. It's nearer to the richer city business side of Singapore, and we were there to pick up my step sister, who was coming back to Singapore. We grabbed dinner at a food court in the airport, and it was one of those higher end food courts (Kopitiam for anyone who's been in Singapore). Food's priced around $5-7 I'd reckon.

I was sitting there, and at around my 1 o'clock, 3-4 walking steps away there was this guy. Looked Malay, and though this sounds judgemental, he didn't look very rich or financially comfortable. He was on the fatter side, balding little on the top, had a little underbite, teeth weren't perfect. Kind of like a beggar/blue collar kind of look, as much as I hate to sound like an ass, it's the best I cam describe. He looked like he was in his 40-50s.

Anyway, he was eating Yong Tau Fu by the looks of it, which is like fishballs, fishcakes, beancurd and other similar stuff in soup, usually eaten just like that or with rice/noodles. Given his look and all, I figured he was a foreigner, because I don't think a local would come all the way out here just to eat that, since it's a pretty common food.

As he was eating, he covered his mouth, and suddenly he just pukes. It gets all in his food and his tray, some even spurts on the table. There's this lady(let's call her A) who's sitting at the table just beside the man. She's eating with her 3 kids. She moves out of the way of the vomit, but immediately after just asks "Are you ok?"

Such a simple thing to say, yet it made me happy to know she was kind enough to reach out with those words.

There's a lot more to this story, but I'll continue when I get home.

--

Ya anyway, he thanked A(A's husband is nearby too, let's call him B) and nodded, but a while later he puked again, although not as badly. I was getting worried, was he really ok? But I couldn't go over to help, because my family was eating too, and I'd have to walk quite a ways to get to him because of the way tables were laid out.

Another women came by and asked if he was ok, and handed him a packet of tissues. At this point it really struck me how kind people can be, even though you don't see their kindness all the time. She even goes back and gets another fresh packet for him, and leaves it on the table.

Then this guy, let's call him K because he looks Korean, comes by and asks him if he's ok too. This guy though, he really goes out of his way. He offers him a packet of tissues, and asks if he's feeling well. Do you have a fever? Do you feel sick? I heard the man say he had food poisoning. So K kinda just pats him on the back and tells him to take care of himself. He goes to the drink store(not far away) and buys a cup of coffee(i think? Or just something warm) for the guy, which I thought was just the kindest thing ever. He leaves it on his table, and I guess(couldn't hear) tells him to take a sip and cool down. I was honestly feeling kinda sad for the man, to have bought the meal and vomit it out, and he'd be on an empty stomach for the rest of the night. Anyway, K walks off somewhere else with his wife.

B then just sits there, the table beside, just looking at him and taking care of his kids. His face isn't exactly the brightest, it kinda looks like he's thinking "this guy...." so it wasn't the most positive of looks. And then he opens his mouth, "Are you feeling ok? Dizzy?". And I just thought what I fucking idiot I am. People aren't dicks.

I think people are a lot nicer than we think they are, even though people are dicks at times, maybe when it comes down to it and someone needs help, we really reach out to them. B and the man just sit and talk, I can't hear what their talking about though, sadly. I would have loved to though. It seems like B just asks the man to take care of himself and what not.

And then K comes back with a plastic bag from a nearby convenience store, and passes the man more tissue, and holy shit, some medication. I couldn't make out what it was, it was either just pills for food poisoning, or some medicated oil. This K guy man, I wanna be like him when I grow up. Seriously. Such a kind guy. He then leaves again with his wife, probably to go grab their dinner. B continues to chat with the man.

And K comes back, again, though this time with a staff member from the customer service counter. They kinda talk, and K kinda leaves him in the care of the staff people. A guy staff member comes not long after with like a wheelchair for the man. They were probably going off to the clinic(there was a clinic in the airport, apparently). Though something came up, so the staff guy kinda just stood there while the man was sipping the drink. The customer service staff member comes back with some newspaper, and they put it on the seat of the wheel chair, which I didn't get at all? Maybe the guy had wet himself? Not sure, didn't think much of it though. The staff members then just went off and took him to the clinic(my guess).

And then I just sat there and continued eating, but I kept replaying the entire scene in my head, just thinking what I would've done if I were put in their positions. Would I have helped him too? Or would I have looked from a distance and think "that's none of my business" like I used to as a kid? Would I have helped him like K? Or would I just talk to him like B?

The male staff member comes back, looking at the table(which now had other people sitting at it), looks around for a bit. B then comes out of nowhere(their family left a while back) and goes up the the male staff member, he says something, and the male staff member replies(i couldn't quite tell what they were saying). B then passes him a red plastic bag(which I assume belonged to the man, and left it behind, although I don't recall seeing it), and goes on his way. The male staff member then walks off in the direction of the clinic.

Just this whole thing that happened during my dinner was interesting, and quite an eye-opener for me. In Singapore, honestly, these acts of strangers helping strangers isn't SUPER common. May not be specific to Singapore though. I don't go out of my way to help people, unless they ask for it, like approach me for directions. If someone looks lost I don't ask them if they need help, but I will help if they ask me to. Should I change that? Or is the fact that I would have helped enough? How do I know when to take the initiative and ask someone if they need help, or when to mind my own business?

I hope the man is doing okay though, I'm not sure if he's local or not, and K didn't look local(though he spoke English fine) but A and B definitely were. There's a lot of talk about how Singaporeans, though maybe not ONLY Singaporeans, are becoming less helpful or thoughtful in situations like what I just saw tonight, but maybe we aren't as bad as we think we are.

During the whole event though, there were other people nearby sitting around him (though they might not all have saw it because their backs were facing him or his back was facing them) that didn't do anything about it, and kind of minded their own business. I was one of them, I could have got up and walked over to him, and if I were with my friends, I MAY have, but I'll ever know if I actually would have. I was with my family though, and it felt out of place for me to do that. Was I doing the right thing? Should I have got up? What could I have done though?

This is turning out to be a diary entry haha, but this felt like a fitting place to talk about this.

I typed this out elsewhere on site, but it's something I came across pretty recently and I still think about it, and it's a pretty good story (though admittedly I could rewrite this and make it a lot shorter but ehhhh :b)
GMT+8

Return to “General Discussion”