First Democratic Debate

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

I don't really see him getting a lot of votes in the general election, but in a close election even just a few votes can really screw things up (Ralph Nader).
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Aj The Epic
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:11 am

Post by Aj The Epic »

I feel like he draws more Republican votes anyways... his debate style (loud and obnoxious) and stances are much closer to a republican candidate's anyways.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:13 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

I don't know. It seems like most republicans think *jeb* is too moderate. I can't see them voting for a centerist democrat.

Mostly I think he pulls votes from so-called "Reagan Democrats" if there are any left. People who lean democrat but think Hillary is too far to the left.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:32 am

Post by zoraster »

He's saying you'd pull some republican votes off in the general election. In the general, it's not about winning the support of your base, it's about winning marginal voters (also turnout). Marginal voters who lean republican might support someone like Webb, though I seriously doubt it.

One large issue facing Webb is that he thinks he's above campaigning or something.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:50 am

Post by Rob14 »

I doubt he'll pull Democrats because I think even moderate Democrats and liberal Independents understand that a Trump presidency is against the interests of the nation and should be avoided at all costs. And it's looking like Trump might actually take the nomination, which is insane unto itself. I suppose it's the natural extension of "political correctness" as a dirty word and worshiping business owners, both hallmarks of the Republican Party.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I'm still gonna say there's no way Trump makes it to the RNC as the nominee
green shirt thursdays
Aj The Epic
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:50 am

Post by Aj The Epic »

I could see the RNC taking a collective policy hit and just not allowing him on ANY state's ballot.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:08 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

hell no they would not do that, I don't think

And they'd have to make the call to do that pretty soon, here.
green shirt thursdays
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:22 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 203, zoraster wrote:He's saying you'd pull some republican votes off in the general election. In the general, it's not about winning the support of your base, it's about winning marginal voters (also turnout). Marginal voters who lean republican might support someone like Webb, though I seriously doubt it.

One large issue facing Webb is that he thinks he's above campaigning or something.

I am talking about the general; I'm saying if he pulls any votes in the general, it'll probably mostly be moderate democrats. I can't see many Republican voters going for someone who switched parties and became a Democrat, even if he's now running as an independent.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:27 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 206, Aj The Epic wrote:I could see the RNC taking a collective policy hit and just not allowing him on ANY state's ballot.

They probably won't be that direct, but there is a chance they'll actually change the nomination rules midstream if necessary in order to keep him out. Nate Silver mentioned that possibility in an article he wrote a few months ago, let me find it...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/don ... s-of-doom/

The Republican Party’s delegate selection rules are straightforward in some states but byzantine in others, especially in caucus states where delegates are sometimes not formally pledged to the candidate who apparently earned their support on election night. Furthermore, about 7 percent of delegates to the RNC are party leaders — what Democrats would call “superdelegates” — who are usually not bound by the results of the popular vote in their states at all.

This introduces a little bit of slack into the system. It works in favor of establishment-backed candidates, or those who have an intricate understanding of the delegate rules. And it works against candidates like Trump.

But the party also has some “hard power”: It literally makes the rules. It can rule against candidates it doesn’t like in the event of delegate-counting disputes. It can probably even change the rules midstream. There isn’t a lot of precedent to worry about violating, since it’s been 40 years since Republicans came close to a brokered convention.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:32 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

And now Lincoln Chafee just dropped out. They're dropping like flies.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:36 am

Post by zoraster »

you might want to transfer over to the general presidential election thread, yos: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... ead#unread

Return to “General Discussion”