Let's talk about cycling

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Let's talk about cycling

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:59 am

Post by hohum »

This is basically my prized posession.

http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2013-barc ... elli-25578

It's one of the prize bikes from the 2013 Barcelona Red Hook Crit.

I ride exclusively fixed gear, though I certainly have a healthy appreciation for other styles of cycling as well.

Do you own any bikes? If so, how many and of what type. Post pics please! Are you a full-time or a part time commuter? Cyclecross? Mountain Biking? Road racing?
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:34 am

Post by inte »

what are u poor?

*sips coke
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:02 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

I don't know the details about mine, but I have one, and generally go fit a ride at least once a week
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 am

Post by hohum »

In post 1, inte wrote:what are u poor?

Nice to see this place is as toxic as ever. I may be poor but at least I can spell.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:38 am

Post by Nexus »

I keep wanting to get back into cycling, but I'm currently still trying to get moved cross-country, and therefore don't really want to have to transport it back across the country.

I've got one that I've had since I was 12/13 (I'm now 26), and it's functional, but it isn't particularly pleasant to ride.

Also Hi, hohum.
Trans rights are human rights.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:51 am

Post by hohum »

In post 4, Nexus wrote:Also Hi, hohum.

Hey man!

In post 4, Nexus wrote:but I'm currently still trying to get moved cross-country

I'm actually stuck in the same situation. Though not moving cross country, I'm going far enough that it's going to be inconvenient to carry 5 bikes 2 spare sets of wheels with me. I either need to rent a really large truck or use a pack and ship service like http://www.shipbikes.com
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:52 am

Post by Nexus »

I mean, I'd only be moving 2 hours away, but my car is quite small.

I also am not home every other weekend, and live too far away from work to bike.

To be fair it just sounds like I'm making excuses, which is a pain.
Trans rights are human rights.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:39 am

Post by inte »

In post 3, hohum wrote:
In post 1, inte wrote:what are u poor?

Nice to see this place is as toxic as ever. I may be poor but at least I can spell.

was the *sips coke not enough for you to make the connection that i was joking?

thats prolly why you have such a negative experience with things
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:49 am

Post by fferyllt »

That's a gorgeous bike.

Do you commute by bike, hohum?
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Post by hohum »

I do my daily commute by bike. 5 miles each way. It's loads of fun but it can also be somewhat stressful at times because motorists are just downright hostile towards cyclists around here. My next investment is going to be a GoPro so when I inevitably get assaulted or run off the road by an angry motorist, the police at least have the evidence they'll need to go after someone.

The Vigorelli isn't my daily commuter. The weather here is too unpredictable and the terrain isn't conducive to riding brakeless. I do take her out every chance I get though. I'm moving to the Jersey shore in January. It's flat, so I'll probably be riding her more.

In post 7, inte wrote:
was the *sips coke not enough for you to make the connection that i was joking?

The problem is your prejudices are showing when you make "jokes" like that. I don't know you from anyone else in the world so why would you think I'd find that funny? You wouldn't walk up to someone at a party and say some shit like that because they'd probably knock you out.

I'm not going to sit here and lecture you on netiquette though because you probably won't listen to anything I have to say. After all it's just pixels on the screen, right? IT'S THE INTERNET YO GROW THICKER SKIN HAHA U SUCK
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Post by N »

Classic hohum
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Post by mykonian »

Back in the day I used to live ~14km away from my high school, went there by bike. Early on in groups, later alone. I enjoyed the way you could dream away, nobody to bother you, and as long as you kept peddling you'd eventually get there, or get home. Depended a bit on the route, but one way was a route for cars as well, the other was mostly a hardened track through the fields and a couple of farmers roads.

When I got to the city where I study, obviously the bike had to come as well. Everybody cycles here. The bike was far from new, but still way too good for the city. Really doesn't matter what bike you have though, they get stolen. Esspecially if they look somewhat normal. You can make them less interesting by chaining them to something, but bikes get stolen. That's just what happens. And indeed, it did last quite a while, till I forgot to chain it and it was gone. Couldn't really be mad, I can be forgetful now and then, and as said, the bike was a bit too nice. Via some connection, I could get another bike quite quickly (no that doesn't mean for 10 euros from a junkie, actually someone who knew someone), but obviously I'd need another chain now. So I parked it outside the shop, locked it with the bike's own lock, went in, bought a chain, walked out again and the bike was gone. At that point it was a couple of weeks till christmas, and being gone in that time and people fooling around with fireworks makes owning a bike more hazardous in that time anyway, I decided to do without a bike for a little. Which turned out to be not that bad, really. So since then I don't own a bike anymore.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.

Return to “General Discussion”