Donald Trump

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Garmr
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 23, 2013
Location: The Ban Thread
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10300  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:17 am

In post 10299, Accountant wrote:look I'm on your side here but I hate drugs and I want to know why it's racist to pass harsh laws against drugs

.............
Are you serious it's racist to pass harsher law on drugs.

That kinda suggest black people are more likely to be on drugs than white people which seems like a racist assumption.


Will say through the only reason they would want a harsher law passed on drugs is so they can bust more people and get more revenue.

Shaziro
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: April 21, 2016
Location: Kalimdor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10301  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:23 am

I believe the issue is the unfair enforcement of drug laws largely targeting minorities, so if you make the laws more harsh, you are more likely to cause those more harsh penalties to minorities.

Accountant
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Wonderland
Pronoun: They

Post Post #10302  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:25 am

In post 10300, Garmr wrote:
In post 10299, Accountant wrote:look I'm on your side here but I hate drugs and I want to know why it's racist to pass harsh laws against drugs

.............
Are you serious it's racist to pass harsher law on drugs.

That kinda suggest black people are more likely to be on drugs than white people which seems like a racist assumption.


Will say through the only reason they would want a harsher law passed on drugs is so they can bust more people and get more revenue.

I'm wondering why you quoted my post since I'm the only one here who doesn't yet believe that passing drug laws is racist??
If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong.

Get To Know An Accountant!

Accountant
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Wonderland
Pronoun: They

Post Post #10303  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:26 am

In post 10301, Shaziro wrote:I believe the issue is the unfair enforcement of drug laws largely targeting minorities, so if you make the laws more harsh, you are more likely to cause those more harsh penalties to minorities.

Right; the problem is that if you say this, than any harsh laws are inherently racist by default.
If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong.

Get To Know An Accountant!

Shaziro
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: April 21, 2016
Location: Kalimdor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10304  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:27 am

Oh, in your case in particular it was the fact that crack cocaine carries the same sentence as ten times as much powder cocaine. Crack cocaine is cheaper, so poor people are more likely to have it.

Accountant
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Wonderland
Pronoun: They

Post Post #10305  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:32 am

In post 10304, Shaziro wrote:Oh, in your case in particular it was the fact that crack cocaine carries the same sentence as ten times as much powder cocaine. Crack cocaine is cheaper, so poor people are more likely to have it.

I get that it's a law that punishes poor people more than rich people.
If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong.

Get To Know An Accountant!

Shaziro
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: April 21, 2016
Location: Kalimdor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10306  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:00 am

I believe the point from there is that racial/ethnic minority groups are disproportionately poor.

Postie
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: August 10, 2015
Pronoun: She

Post Post #10307  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:22 am

It's to do with the fact that certain drug laws were passed exactly because they affect certain minorities more than anyone else, rather than being passed for some other reason and just happening to disproportionately affect minority groups.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.

Accountant
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Wonderland
Pronoun: They

Post Post #10308  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 am

In post 10307, Postie wrote:It's to do with the fact that certain drug laws were passed exactly because they affect certain minorities more than anyone else, rather than being passed for some other reason and just happening to disproportionately affect minority groups.

WTF? Do the American lawmakers have way too much time on their hands or something?
If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong.

Get To Know An Accountant!

Postie
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: August 10, 2015
Pronoun: She

Post Post #10309  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:36 am

I'll let President Nixon’s chief domestic advisor answer that for you.

John Ehrlichman wrote:The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.

Accountant
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Wonderland
Pronoun: They

Post Post #10310  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 am

That plan is stupid. The hippies and black people will simply not take drugs and then the police are left with egg on their face.
If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong.

Get To Know An Accountant!

Postie
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: August 10, 2015
Pronoun: She

Post Post #10311  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:41 am

Upon further research I can't actually tell if that quote comes from a credible source or not.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.

Postie
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: August 10, 2015
Pronoun: She

Post Post #10312  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 am

In post 10310, Accountant wrote:That plan is stupid. The hippies and black people will simply not take drugs and then the police are left with egg on their face.

Also unfortunately it's not that simple.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.

Shaziro
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: April 21, 2016
Location: Kalimdor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10313  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:50 am

In post 10312, Postie wrote:
In post 10310, Accountant wrote:That plan is stupid. The hippies and black people will simply not take drugs and then the police are left with egg on their face.

Also unfortunately it's not that simple.

What are you talking about, Postie? Drugs are never addictive! You can just stop taking them! Societal/peer pressure? What's that?

Postie
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: August 10, 2015
Pronoun: She

Post Post #10314  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:55 am

I mean I'm no expert on any of this but I'd also hazard a guess that the typical response to "you can't do this thing anymore that was previously seen as completely acceptable just because we don't like you" tends to be "fuck you" and not "okay".
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.

Accountant
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Wonderland
Pronoun: They

Post Post #10315  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:12 am

In post 10313, Shaziro wrote:
In post 10312, Postie wrote:
In post 10310, Accountant wrote:That plan is stupid. The hippies and black people will simply not take drugs and then the police are left with egg on their face.

Also unfortunately it's not that simple.

What are you talking about, Postie? Drugs are never addictive! You can just stop taking them! Societal/peer pressure? What's that?

:roll: they will just stop taking the drugs once they realize Nixon has illegalized them
If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong.

Get To Know An Accountant!

Accountant
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Wonderland
Pronoun: They

Post Post #10316  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:13 am

In post 10314, Postie wrote:I mean I'm no expert on any of this but I'd also hazard a guess that the typical response to "you can't do this thing anymore that was previously seen as completely acceptable just because we don't like you" tends to be "fuck you" and not "okay".

Well, you already know my attitude towards the kind of person that would say such a thing, so there's no need to expand further on this.
If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong.

Get To Know An Accountant!

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone
 
User avatar
Joined: August 21, 2007
Location: i blame Jill Stein for my stupid avatar
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10317  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:26 am

In post 10291, Shaziro wrote:
In post 10290, Accountant wrote:
In post 10289, Wraith wrote:
In post 10287, Accountant wrote:wait I hate racism and all but what does crack/powder cocaine have to do with race


One is cheaper

???????

Crack cocaine is lower purity/quality, as it is mixed with water and baking soda. That makes it cheaper.



My little brother and some of his friends once tried to cook crack from cocaine. They used too much water and spent the evening drinking crack soup.
I'm the color red, in a world of black and white.
Don't sell your soul to the Devil. He already sold his to me.

Accountant
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Wonderland
Pronoun: They

Post Post #10318  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:30 am

your little brother is an idiot

btw who did he vote?
If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong.

Get To Know An Accountant!

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone
 
User avatar
Joined: August 21, 2007
Location: i blame Jill Stein for my stupid avatar
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10319  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:37 am

He can't vote, he's a convicted felon
I'm the color red, in a world of black and white.
Don't sell your soul to the Devil. He already sold his to me.

Shaziro
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: April 21, 2016
Location: Kalimdor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10320  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:39 am

In post 10315, Accountant wrote:
In post 10313, Shaziro wrote:
In post 10312, Postie wrote:
In post 10310, Accountant wrote:That plan is stupid. The hippies and black people will simply not take drugs and then the police are left with egg on their face.

Also unfortunately it's not that simple.

What are you talking about, Postie? Drugs are never addictive! You can just stop taking them! Societal/peer pressure? What's that?

:roll: they will just stop taking the drugs once they realize Nixon has illegalized them

Do you think that people never willingly break the law?

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone
 
User avatar
Joined: August 21, 2007
Location: i blame Jill Stein for my stupid avatar
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10321  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:41 am

In post 10319, kuribo wrote:He can't vote, he's a convicted felon



Well actually as of last year technically he can

He just either doesn't know that or doesn't care
I'm the color red, in a world of black and white.
Don't sell your soul to the Devil. He already sold his to me.

Shaziro
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: April 21, 2016
Location: Kalimdor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10322  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:43 am

In post 10317, kuribo wrote:
In post 10291, Shaziro wrote:
In post 10290, Accountant wrote:
In post 10289, Wraith wrote:
In post 10287, Accountant wrote:wait I hate racism and all but what does crack/powder cocaine have to do with race


One is cheaper

???????

Crack cocaine is lower purity/quality, as it is mixed with water and baking soda. That makes it cheaper.



My little brother and some of his friends once tried to cook crack from cocaine. They used too much water and spent the evening drinking crack soup.

...Was it actually effective? Did they ever describe how it worked? Was it a worse/better high?

Accountant
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Wonderland
Pronoun: They

Post Post #10323  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:46 am

In post 10320, Shaziro wrote:Do you think that people never willingly break the law?

No, but I think it's a stretch to call the law racist because people break it.

@kuribo: LOL
If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong.

Get To Know An Accountant!

Shaziro
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: April 21, 2016
Location: Kalimdor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10324  (ISO)  » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:47 am

Do you understand that drugs like cocaine are highly addictive, and that users can't just "stop"?

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion