Good Comic Books

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Post by Porochaz »

In post 23, BlackStar wrote:Batman: The Long Halloween is the best batman story ever.

I love Jeph Loeb's writing. It's not the most critically acclaimed book of all time, but Hush is my favourite storyline and was what got me back into comics back when it initially came out. (I own a Jim Lee signed copy of one of the comics) The Long Halloween is pretty great (even if Im not as big a fan of the art)

In post 24, AlwaysInnocent wrote:I am almost finished reading Maus. What an incredible story. To think it is possible to tell about the Holocaust in a comic book form seems outrageous at first, but when you start reading it, you will quickly see that there is nothing wrong with comics (or rather, graphical novels) as a medium. The horror still feels very real. It also makes you empathize with the survivor Vladek Spiegelman and depicts a real living human with real feelings, with real experiences, with both many flaws and talents. It not only shows how the Holocaust shaped him, but also how a big part of his personality outlived the Holocaust.

Really, comics do not deserve the bad reputation that they have (like that they cannot be taken seriously, that they are for "geeks" or children, etc.). There is something about graphical novels that I really like. It is hard to put my finger on it, though.

I love Maus as well, when I worked for a bookshop, I used to sneak a copy down when I had my lunch and read a chapter before returning it. I never got to the end as all the copies got sold before I could finish it. But it's on my list to eventually buy, I was close to buying it again at the most recent UK meet.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Cromulent Simpsons Quote
Cromulent Simpsons Quote
Townie
Cromulent Simpsons Quote
Townie
Townie
Location: Soaring majestically like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:02 pm

Post by Cromulent Simpsons Quote »

Return to “General Discussion”