The Orlando Shooting

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

In post 24, Psyche wrote:i don't think intolerance is fine
that's why i hate it so much when people try to silence reactions to tragedy that they don't like
It not that at all. It is out of respect for those who actually suffered. Pushing this because of something that didn't happen to you is insulting to everyone who it did. Do you think the parents are worried about guns? No they are in so much pain and just want their children back. Respect that, and as kuri said, let the bodies cool first.
#freeShotty
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Post by Psyche »

you
do not
get to dictate
how people
handle tragedy
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:54 pm

Post by talah »

*shrug* the reactions which are?
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Post by talah »

that's a problem btw phsyche
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Post by Psyche »

you do not get to dictate what it means to be respectful or insulting
you do not get to dictate what the parents of those murdered must feel
you are not a forum moderator, you are not the tone police, you are not some moral arbiter
stop being such a douchebag and just let people have a space to
grieve
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Post by talah »

If i react to tragedy by causing tragedy where the fuck do things end up.
It's not less than greyscale
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 25, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 24, Psyche wrote:i don't think intolerance is fine
that's why i hate it so much when people try to silence reactions to tragedy that they don't like
It not that at all. It is out of respect for those who actually suffered. Pushing this because of something that didn't happen to you is insulting to everyone who it did. Do you think the parents are worried about guns? No they are in so much pain and just want their children back. Respect that, and as kuri said, let the bodies cool first.
Every god damn time this happens we 'show respect' to the victims and nothing ever changes.

I'm showing respect by saying that it shouldn't have happened and that we should try to stop it from happening again. I literally can't fathom how that is disrespectful.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Post by talah »

In post 29, Psyche wrote:you do not get to dictate what it means to be respectful or insulting
you are not a forum moderator, you are not the tone police, you are not some moral arbiter
grieve
Okay.
Absolutely true.
Who cares.
Fuck you I have my own personal experience, but okay I didn't realise people were hurt in this thead apart from this conversation.

These were in the 1,2,3,4 answering context by the way.
Last edited by talah on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 29, Psyche wrote:

grieve
Bolding to emphasize importance of these statements.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:02 pm

Post by talah »

I edited instead of answering again, sorry.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:03 pm

Post by Psyche »

i don't even know if i agree with immediately reacting politically to this stuff
but threads like these only work if we accept that people handle trauma in different ways and give them room to do it
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:05 pm

In post 33, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 29, Psyche wrote:

grieve
Bolding to emphasize importance of these statements.
Psych tells me all the time what I should and shouldn't say, half of you do. It is only when it doesn't benefit you that you say this. Of course people greave in all sorts of ways, I'm not trying to shut that down or rejecting it, but when the first thing you do is push a political platform you aren't reacting to a tragedy, you are seizing an opportunity.
#freeShotty
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

Maybe when I find out news I don't like I'll punch a baby in the face because no one tells me how to handle tragedy.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:08 pm

In post 37, KuroiXHF wrote:Maybe when I find out news I don't like I'll punch a baby in the face because no one tells me how to handle tragedy.
Slippery slope, but not completely false. There are right and wrong ways to deal with things.
#freeShotty
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Post by Brandi »

this news has left me feeling pretty numb today

i got up all ready to be excited for various things and now...

doesn't help knowing that most of my family in Florida are a bunch of anti-LGBT bigots who think this is fine

It's all so very fucked up

I really hope things can change
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:13 pm

In post 39, Brandi wrote:this news has left me feeling pretty numb today

i got up all ready to be excited for various things and now...

doesn't help knowing that most of my family in Florida are a bunch of anti-LGBT bigots who think this is fine

It's all so very fucked up

I really hope things can change
It can and it will and it is starting to! People who are like that will either come around or die eventually so I am convinced eventually it will all be ok. Maybe not while I'm alive, but hopefully my children bring it about at least. I've already heard people saying that they deserved this and I got into a fairly vocal argument with one red neck at my complex today about it. I still astounds me how many people can be so ignorant.
#freeShotty
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:44 pm

Post by xyzzy »

here's a tweet someone made that I agree with:

Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Post by Drench »

oh i was about to post that xyzzy thanks

lmk when you care about our lives as well as our deaths shotty

join your union
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Post by Davsto »

In post 2, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 0, Zachrulez wrote:Because Shotty doesn't get to decide when to lock an important topic of discussion like this.
You aren't discussing the victims you are furthering an anti gun rhetoric that shouldn't be the concern right now! My heart is torn in half for these people and you are using innocent victims as a platform. If you want to discuss gun control make a gun control thread is all I'm saying. This is insulting to the victims.
So how long should we wait? A week? By which time there will have been several other (if not as publicised) mass shootings and you argue we should wait after that?

If your heart was really torn in half for these people, you'd be making efforts to stop it from happening again, not just sitting in a chair and going "oh how sad" when frankly at this point it is so common in America that my reaction reading the news was literally "oh look, another one".
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Post by Rob14 »

We can honor the victims of this tragedy without disrespecting all of the future victims by ignoring what caused this.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:33 pm

Post by Davsto »

SKKYYYYYY NEEWWWWWWSSSSS
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:20 am

In post 43, Davsto wrote:
In post 0, Zachrulez wrote:Because Shotty doesn't get to decide when to lock an important topic of discussion like this.
You aren't discussing the victims you are furthering an anti gun rhetoric that shouldn't be the concern right now! My heart is torn in half for these people and you are using innocent victims as a platform. If you want to discuss gun control make a gun control thread is all I'm saying. This is insulting to the victims.
So how long should we wait? A week? By which time there will have been several other (if not as publicised) mass shootings and you argue we should wait after that?

If your heart was really torn in half for these people, you'd be making efforts to stop it from happening again, not just sitting in a chair and going "oh how sad" when frankly at this point it is so common in America that my reaction reading the news was literally "oh look, another one".
I asked for one day. One day. I done think guns caused this at all, I believe it may be related to foreign terror, is may be domestic, perhaps since he was the subject of two prior fbi investigations coupled woth who his family is should land him on a no gun list, maybe.if we had been stricter on immigration and not allowed a family with ties to al-Qaida in to our country they would all be alive, etc... do you see where I'm going with this? Before we jump to or go to political causes and get all angry at one another over politics, why can't the country have one day where we don't show the killers face on tv, and remember that we need to love one another not hate.
#freeShotty
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:30 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 46, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 43, Davsto wrote:

I asked for one day. One day. I done think guns caused this at all, I believe it may be related to foreign terror, is may be domestic, perhaps since he was the subject of two prior fbi investigations coupled woth who his family is should land him on a no gun list, maybe.if we had been stricter on immigration and not allowed a family with ties to al-Qaida in to our country they would all be alive, etc... do you see where I'm going with this? Before we jump to or go to political causes and get all angry at one another over politics, why can't the country have one day where we don't show the killers face on tv, and remember that we need to love one another not hate.
His father immigrated years and years and years ago.

The gun he had was one that he got legally because restrictions on gun use aren't strict enough.

At this point, Americans who deny that gun control would help are like your cousin who drinks a lot but insists they aren't alcoholic.

Gun murders, particularly mass shootings, happen far too often in the US. It's a fact. The UK doesn't have this problem, France doesn't, Spain doesn't, European countries in general don't actually, and most damningly Australia did until they banned guns and then shock horror
the problem reduced massively

And that's not even mentioning suicides - a large portion of suicides in the US are done by guns, and a large portion of gun deaths in the US are suicides. Suicide is, very often, a snap decision, made hours or even minutes before even doing it. By giving people guns, you give people an easy and quick method of reliably killing themselves.

There are so many issues with gun control in America, and it seems that it's only ever Americans who can't see the problem. I don't think I've ever talked to a single Brit who disagrees with me that gun control should be wayyyyy fucking stricter in America. I'm not even saying "ban guns" (although that would be good too), I'm just saying you need stricter gun control by a long shot. Arguing that guns aren't the problem is irrational denial.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:49 am

Post by Shadoweh »

I've been letting this stir in my head here and I'm making an executive decision. I'm locking this thread. If someone would like to make another thread to talk about the shootings they are welcome to. If you do not like a thread or its contents you are free to not post in that thread. As half the discussion team is still V/LA we will be catching up on reports over the next week, so if you see further action about this a week later don't be surprised.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir

Return to “General Discussion”