The lowdown on the GL

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Someone
Someone
Well, we gotta remove Someone
Someone

The lowdown on the GL

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:55 am

Post by Someone »

I've heard a lot of talk about the GL recently, and I might want to do some stuff there in the future. What is the GL all about? As for the "mafia" parts of it, how do they compare here with us, at mafiascum? How is the community there, bigger? smaller? crazier? And lastly, where is it :?.

Thx
--Someone
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:24 am

Post by mole »

The GL is where, as far as we're concerned, online mafia originated, around three years ago. :) For those who don't play mafia, though, it's a site for puzzles and other kinds of games.

But you're not here for that, are you? :) The mafia community is a bit larger than mafiascum is at the moment, we have lots of people who wander in from other parts of the site to see what the hell we actually do, and we run mostly themed games. (almost entirely, in fact, looking at the list now...) Probably equally crazy. :)

http://www.greylabyrinth.com
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:16 am

Post by mith »

You think it's bigger right now? I haven't checked in a while really. Just 'cause of the crash, or what?

The GL was originally just a puzzle website designed by Kevin Lin, as early as 1995. In 1999, he put up a discussion forum, and then later that year, switched over to UBB, which is what we are still using (though they're probably switching to phpBB soon). It too was originally strictly for puzzles, but later branched out into various debates and discussions (Off Topic), and later games. Mafia was actually one of the earlier games; it was first played in August 2000 in the puzzles forum, with myself moderating and various players, some now very well known on both sites. It was very basic, 12 players, 2 Mafia, but was a success (with IS ranting, and an exciting endgame). Soon other games followed, new roles were suggested (many of the original ideas coming from the princeton site), and by the time mafiascum was created back in March 2002, we had run over 70 games of various size and complexity. I don't know if anyone is still keeping a list of all the games over there, but they should be well over 100 by now.

Return to “General Discussion”