Telephone Pictionary: Submarine Sheen [Complete]

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Telephone Pictionary: Submarine Sheen [Complete]

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:00 am

Post by Telephone Mermaid »

Moderator: Telephone Mermaid (AKA Ariel) | Backup/Co-Mod Applications: Accepted
Rules | Completed Chains

Telephone Pictionary is a game of silly miscommunication. To get a better idea how this works on a forum, review the results of the most recent game here. Drawing--and drawing under 72 hour deadlines--is required, although talent isn't necessary. (Effort is still appreciated!)

Signups
closed (expired on 2023-07-26 17:00:04).
  • This game will have a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 26 chains.
    The first 26 people to sign up will have their /in counted once Telephone Mermaid receives a starting sentence from you.

• Any additional signups (#27+) will not submit a starting sentence. They will share the workload of a prior signup, beginning with slot 26 and going backwards. An earlier signup can specifically volunteer if they are fine with the lower workload.
  • Let me know when signing up if you would prefer prods/notifications on Discord in addition or instead of PMs.
Players
  1. StrangerCoug | Discord communication preference
  2. GeorgeBailey | Discord communication preference
  3. Ausuka | Discord communication preference
  4. tris
  5. biancospino
  6. Haschel Cedricson
  7. VashtaNeurotic | Discord communication preference
  8. Aureal
  9. The Bulge
  10. Iprobablysuck | Discord communication preference
  11. Mist7676 | Discord communication preference
  12. bugspray
  13. ambic | Discord communication preference
  14. Searl
  15. Cheery Dog
  16. mallowgeno | Discord communication preference
  17. Merlyn
  18. Mystic Sailboat | Discord communication preference
  19. AniX
  20. Thestatusquo
  21. schadd_ | Discord communication preference
  22. Cheetory6 | Discord communication preference
  23. hellbooks
Last edited by Telephone Mermaid on Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:21 pm, edited 50 times in total.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:01 am

tl;dr: 72 hour picture deadlines. 24 hour sentence deadlines. Fast chains get fast reveals. Slow players get replaced. And your chain had better not corrupt the innocent.

Game Flow & Timelines

Basic Flow
  • Starting sentence:
    Needs to be submitted by the first 26 /ins to get onto the player list. It shouldn't be incredibly long, but it can basically be as silly as you want it to be. Some examples can be found in chains from past games, but please don't copy those exactly.
  • Receiving a sentence
    : When the game starts, starting sentences will be sent out to a different player. This player will have 72 hours to portray that sentence in picture form and send me the result. (Note: Please don't actually take the full 72 hours every single round. If you're busy sometimes, that's fine, but if you're consistently waiting until the last day, please keep in mind that other people might be waiting on you.)
  • Receiving a picture
    : When you get a picture, you have 24 hours to send in a sentence summarizing it. I'll send you pictures to summarize as sentences as I receive them, even if you already have other things to draw/write. Please send in sentences promptly! It shouldn't take too long. (Note: You'll only have one active picture to draw at a time. I might send you sneak peaks of future sentences, but you won't be under any deadline obligations for those until later.)
  • And so on & so forth
    : Each chain will continue for 13 of these rounds: 7 sentences and 6 pictures. Chains will be posted on the wiki as they are completed, which will probably vary wildly.
Deadline & Vacation Deets
  • If you cannot meet a deadline, please notify me as soon as you've received the sentence (or picture)--or, better yet, tell me before you receive one. I will find somebody else and send it there. I will also do this automatically if you have not drawn it in 96 hours.
  • If you miss multiple picture deadlines, future deadlines shrink by 24 hours. I might restore the full time after a few rounds, if I don't have to prod you under those conditions. (But please just try to not miss deadlines! That's the best approach.)
  • Somebody who consistently fails to meet deadlines will be kicked out of the game at my discretion. Especially somebody who doesn't announce V/LAs beforehand.

Picture & Sentence Standards

General
  • Please don't break the site rules. Keep it reasonably safe for work, and preferably not too gross.
  • These rules may not cover everything against the spirit of the game. If I'm forgetting a rule, I'll let you know. You might be asked to resubmit in light of this.
Pictures
  • Submit .JPG or .PNG photos. Please no .BMP. Please use a nondescript file name. Ideally, max of 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels tall.
  • Please be mindful of where you upload your pictures to. Tinypic deletes its pictures without warning, and anything uploaded to the wiki is accessible by other players. Most people use Imgur or Discord uploads these days.
  • Any medium (drawing program, hand drawn, diorama, etc.) should be fine as long as you can submit as a picture/scanned image of it
  • Please draw everything from scratch. You can use Google Images as a reference, but don't paste other people's pictures into your own or rely on AI.
  • Words are completely banned. English letters used to denote words, and codes (camel octopus dinosaur eagle snake), will also be sent back with a stern warning, although if it's relevant you can use them to portray the alphabet. Numbers and symbols and math are all fine.
  • Please don't intentionally mislead anybody--do the most accurate non-legalistic picture that you can. The chain will find a way to mutate anyway.
Sentences
  • Keep it to one sentence and don't be too legalistic about what you are summarizing.
  • If you don't think the picture is about the fourth wall, don't break the fourth wall.

Miscellaneous
  • Please don't talk to other players about the sentences/pictures you got. If somebody tells you anything about a chain you haven't seen yet, please let me know.
  • I may note in-thread if somebody is behind.
  • If you haven't sent a link in within 48 hours for a picture, I'll send you a prod. Other actions may be taken if you're inactive for the full round.
  • Have fun! If you aren't having fun, you should talk to me about it, and I'll do my best to find you a replacement. You can also talk to me when you are having fun, of course.
Last edited by Telephone Mermaid on Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:14 am

Last edited by Telephone Mermaid on Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:50 pm

Yay, we hit 20 signups which is the minimum amount for the fancy code Ether wrote. Planning to close signups tomorrow and will hopefully have first prompts distributed out Thursday or Friday
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #29 (isolation #4) » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:57 am

K you should have received your first sentence to draw. Have fun!! Let me know if I missed you or sent you back the one you submitted or whatever
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #33 (isolation #5) » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:26 am

In post 32, Kcdaspot wrote:
/in and prefer discord.

infinite sadness
Would you be interested in being a replacement for if people are V/LA?
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #38 (isolation #6) » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:26 pm

We are less than 6 hours in and have a chain with Round 4 in progress already, so that's cool! We love to see it
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #40 (isolation #7) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:46 pm

So, there's probably a better way to display this visually, but here is the current overall chain status at the moment. Yellow means it's queued up and green means it's actually in progress.

Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #48 (isolation #8) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:08 pm

In post 47, Aureal wrote: Yeah, I expect that. I'm just confused about the chart. I guess the rows don't correspond to players like one would expect from the number of them, so I just have no idea what it's trying to convey.
Yeah, I'm not sure I picked the best way to convey the information, but here is more detail on what it means:

The rows correspond to chains, which have alphabetical names that will be revealed when the Chain is completely done. The columns correspond to what "round" the chains are on. Starting sentence is round 1, first drawing is round 2, and so on. So as of the time of the snapshot, there were 7 chains on the first drawing - round 2 is in progress. IMO that's decently quick since we started around 30 hours prior?

I don't send people drawing tasks if they already have one, so yellow's just signifying that the chain is held up by a drawing on another chain.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #49 (isolation #9) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:09 pm

In post 44, schadd_ wrote: not to be dramatic but a tpp game without keely is Kind of like an angel without wings
Keely had to help me with the randomization code so we would literally have not started on time without him lmao
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #54 (isolation #10) » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:04 pm

Making great progress. We are almost done with Round 2 across the board (4 chains left there) and most of the player base has a drawing task right now.

I have been working on making my spreadsheet more organized and I am thinking of putting some type of unique identifier in PM subjects but haven't decided on what yet.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #57 (isolation #11) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:10 pm

Here is where we're at about 48 hours after the last visual update. Chains are pacing pretty similarly to one another overall. F and M may end up lagging a little bit as we progress because their round 4 is waiting on another chain's drawing. Most of you have tasks, but there are a few of you that don't!

Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #58 (isolation #12) » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:33 pm

Chain progress is sitting between Rounds 4-10, so we're sorta in the mid-game here. A few of you may see a lull for a few days before your tasks pick back up. Chain L retains its lead, but will it be the first chain to actually finish? In my submarine omniscience, I will predict that Chain E or Chain I gets there first.

Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #62 (isolation #13) » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:57 pm

Currently, we have 4 chains in Round 10, so I think we might get our first reveal some time this weekend (:
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #63 (isolation #14) » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:38 pm

I believe we're just about done with Round 4. I believe it being a little slow is partly on me.

Since our last visual update, we have more chains onto Round 10, and even broke through to Round 11. Chain E has stolen the lead. Keep up the good work!!

In addition, here are a couple of interesting speedy drawing-related facts:
1) At one point, I received a drawing back less than 8 minutes after I had sent the prompt.
2) Someone sent me three drawings within one hour. (Are you also someone who might like to see previews of your queued-up drawings? Let me know if so, cuz I don't want to stress people by sending them unless that is your actual preference.)
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #64 (isolation #15) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:45 am

Chain Eel has been rev-eel-ed!

(My phone-a-friend for the code is V/LA so I will just be doing my best manually for now!)
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #65 (isolation #16) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:53 am

Also, just as a point of order, discussing completed chains openly is fine.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #68 (isolation #17) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:30 pm

Chain Coral completed!
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #69 (isolation #18) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:39 pm

And here is a quick visual update. Lots of progress has been made in the past couple of days. A lot of chains are on Round 8. Chain I is the favourite for our next reveal, but there's a couple of others in contention!

Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #90 (isolation #19) » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:18 pm

And now for another visual update. Chain I is on pace for a reveal tomorrow. While we have an increase in chains currently held up by other chains' drawing tasks, our slowest chain is no longer one of them. Most chains are done with Round 9, which is exciting.

Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #91 (isolation #20) » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:06 am

Chain Icthyosaur has come ashore!
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #101 (isolation #21) » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:53 am

Feast your eyes on the inkredible Vampire Squid. Its starting sentence is shorter than its chain name!
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #112 (isolation #22) » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:30 pm

Fresh Oyster & Quahog

Image Image

Note- 3rd post of the thread has a completed chain list
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #114 (isolation #23) » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:20 pm

We have photosynthesized Chain Water Sprite & Chain Gulfweed.

Image Image
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #125 (isolation #24) » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:34 pm

Two more chains o-fish-ially revealed: Haddock & Salmon.

Image Image
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #126 (isolation #25) » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:40 pm

Visual update:

Lots of reveals in the past couple of days and, as you can see, a couple of other chains are close to it. Chains F, M and K are a tad slow, but every other chain has at least started Round 10 by now. We're pacing great considering we started a little less than two weeks ago(?)

Also, I updated the OP to have a link to the completed chains list.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #149 (isolation #26) » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:40 pm

Look! Lobster!!
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #154 (isolation #27) » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:37 pm

In post 152, Cheery Dog wrote: I predict jellyfish.
Very close! Cheery Dog finished up Chain Jellynose.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #155 (isolation #28) » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:43 pm

Our next completed chain also was the source of some predictions. One writer swore this chain started with schadd_. Also pretty close, but it was StrangerCoug's, who guessed as such. It's Chain Anemone!
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #160 (isolation #29) » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:09 pm

Bonus announcement - Looks like we have four players so far who have finished all their tasks: AniX, Ausuka, Haschel Cedricson and Searl. Thanks for your hard work and responsiveness.
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #172 (isolation #30) » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:19 pm

Check out Remora & Dugong

Image Image
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #175 (isolation #31) » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:38 pm

We are really getting a lot closer to done here. Enjoy all the reveals! Shouting out The Bulge, who is now the 5th player to finish all tasks. Good work everybody. Chain M is still slowest but is trucking along. No chains are waiting on other chains at this moment.

Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #182 (isolation #32) » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:13 pm

Good news is every chain is done with Round 9 now. Also, these players join the "all done with their tasks" list: Aureal, biancospino and Cheetory6. Thanks for your participation :]

Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #188 (isolation #33) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:21 pm

Unicornfish & Piranha are friends, not food.

Also, I'm trying to work on making Telephone Pictionary modding a little more accessible to the public so we don't go 2 years between games anymore. Telephone Pictionary is a popular game type for the community that I see even non-players enjoy. To that end, here is a video explanation on the wiki side of things for the unfamiliar- there is a way to streamline this a bit using fancy code, so this is actually the slow way. Apologies for my general awkwardness. :]
Spoiler:
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #191 (isolation #34) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:45 pm

And with the completion of Narwhal & Barnacle, we're down to 4 more chains remaining!
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #203 (isolation #35) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:05 pm

These fine folks have now also finished all of their tasks: ambic, bugspray, Cheery Dog, Merlyn, Mystic Sailboat & StrangerCoug. Good work :]

Shoutout also to our replacement N, who has done two Round 10 drawings
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #205 (isolation #36) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:48 pm

Flounder's finished, as is Mist7676 with their tasks!
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #221 (isolation #37) » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:22 pm

Please don't Krill me for this one y'all
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #222 (isolation #38) » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:29 pm

Time for Trilobite!
Telephone Mermaid
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Telephone Mermaid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #223 (isolation #39) » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:23 pm

Manifesting Mangrove.

We did it y'all! We finished a 23-chain Telephone Pictionary in less than three weeks. Thanks for playing.

Wiki Main Article
Final Visual Update - YouTube Short version

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”