Math and Logic Puzzles

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3647 (isolation #200) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:29 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Suppose I've got an urn that contains 150 black marbles, and 75 white marbles, and I have a pile of black marbles sitting off to the side. I randomly draw 2 marbles from the urn, and depending on what color combo they are, I do one of the following three things:

1) If both marbles are black, I throw one away and put the other back.
2) If both marbles are white, I throw both away and put a black marble back in the urn.
3) If I draw one of each, I throw the black marble away, and put the white marble back in the urn.

Because each operation reduces the number of marbles by one, eventually, I'll have only 1 marble left in the urn. What are the odds that the last marble will be black?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3651 (isolation #201) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:55 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3649, serrapaladin wrote:
In post 3647, Sudo_Nym wrote:Suppose I've got an urn that contains 150 black marbles, and 75 white marbles, and I have a pile of black marbles sitting off to the side. I randomly draw 2 marbles from the urn, and depending on what color combo they are, I do one of the following three things:

1) If both marbles are black, I throw one away and put the other back.
2) If both marbles are white, I throw both away and put a black marble back in the urn.
3) If I draw one of each, I throw the black marble away, and put the white marble back in the urn.

Because each operation reduces the number of marbles by one, eventually, I'll have only 1 marble left in the urn. What are the odds that the last marble will be black?
White marbles can only be removed in pairs, so eventually you'll get down to 1 white marble, which cannot be removed.
Spoiler:
Correct. Because white marbles can only be removed in pairs, their parity can never change. Since there is an odd number to start with, there must be an odd number to end with, so the last marble must always be white. So the odds the last marble is black is 0%. Similarly, if we'd started with an even number of white marbles, the last marble would always be black.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3656 (isolation #202) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's been a bit since I graduated, so forgive me if I slip up in my notation or something.

Let x be a sequence of bounded sequences (i.e. x = {x_1, x_2, ....}, where each x_n is a sequence that is bounded both above and below). Then let y = {y_1, y_2, ...}, where y_n = {x_1_n, x_2_n, ...} (That is, each y_n is a sequence of the nth elements of each x sequence). If A = [min(y_1), min(y_2), ...] and B = [max(x_1), max(x_2), ...], then which is larger: max(A) or min(B)?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3663 (isolation #203) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Suppose you've got 5 holes in a straight line in your backyard, and there's a fox living in one of them, but you don't know which one. Each day, you have enough time to check just one of the holes for the fox, and every night, the fox moves to a different hole. The fox always moves to a hole that is adjacent to the previous hole. Which hole should you check each day to catch the fox in the quickest time?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3669 (isolation #204) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:50 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Spoiler: Milittos and Shadow Dancer's solution
That solution eventually finds the fox, but not in the most efficient manner each time, because you're not really taking advantage of the information you gain from checking the previous hole. So you get the fox in 8 moves, but you can do it faster.

Spoiler: serrapaladin's solution
This is correct. By starting at either 2 or 4, making your way down the line to the other point, then coming back minimizes time by taking advantage of the fact that if the fox isn't at either 2 or 4, then it can't be at 1 or 5 on the next move. Then it's just a matter of chasing it down, which takes a maximum of 6 moves, I believe:

Code: Select all

you  234432
fox1 121212 (or 123212)
fox2 2
fox3 321212
fox4 454
fox5 543212
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3672 (isolation #205) » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There's a square table on a track so that the top can rotate. In each corner of the table is a well, and each well contains a tumbler which is either face up or face down. You can't see into the wells, but with each move, you can reach into two wells, feel the orientation of the tumblers, then flip either or both if you wish. After each move, however, the table rotates and stops on an arbitrary side so that you don't know it's orientation compared to the previous move. What's the smallest number of moves necessary to make all the tumblers face in the same direction?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3675 (isolation #206) » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:42 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Assume that if they're all facing the same direction, you're told that you've won, even if you don't know that you've accomplished the goal.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3679 (isolation #207) » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:17 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Who's correct. I had a slightly different order, but it had basically the same iidea- take advantage of the fact that you're told if you win to make a pure information move so that you can force the position to UDUD regardless of start, then flip the diagonals.

Suppose you've got a rail 1 mile long (5280 feet). You then push the rails so that the endpoints are 1 foot closer, making the rail bend up in the middle to accommodate this. How far off the ground is the middle of the rail?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3681 (isolation #208) » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:31 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sorry, I assume it bends in an arc. So the length of the beam is still 1 mile as measured along the beam, but the ends are 5279 feet apart as measured along the ground.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3683 (isolation #209) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:23 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I hadn't bothered to account for the earth's curvature, since I figured that over 1 mile, its basically negligible. Maybe I'm more astonished than I should be that pushing the endpoints 1 foot closer together makes the arc bow up ~44 feet in the middle.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3684 (isolation #210) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:07 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In a chess game, white's moves go 1. f3, 2. Kf2, 3. Kg3, 4. Kh4. On the fourth move, black checkmates him. What were black's moves?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3686 (isolation #211) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:45 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3685, Aronis wrote:
In post 3684, Sudo_Nym wrote:In a chess game, white's moves go 1. f3, 2. Kf2, 3. Kg3, 4. Kh4. On the fourth move, black checkmates him. What were black's moves?
I think this should work?
d5, knightf6, Qd6, Qf4
Not checkmate, because g4 blocks the check.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3688 (isolation #212) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

"g4" is notation for "move the pawn at g2 to g4". In standard notation, pawn moves don't get a piece notation, they just get their destination square denoted unless there's ambiguity over which pawn can move into that square.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3691 (isolation #213) » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think that's why I like this as a chess puzzle. White's play is so suicidal that it seems like it should be easy to figure out how to checkmate in 4, but the play to find it is so counter-intuitive that most people wouldn't think of it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3694 (isolation #214) » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:47 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Spoiler:
Assuming you meant e6 instead of d6, then yes, that's correct:

The key is that Qxf3 is such an odd move that most people would never consider it, but such is the nature of chess puzzles.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3695 (isolation #215) » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:43 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Chess puzzles are nice, I guess.

White to move, mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3697 (isolation #216) » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:45 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Indeed. Think I started off a bit easy for my technically second chess problem.

White to move, mate in 2. Let me know if you guys actually like chess puzzles, so I don't flood if people want to do other stuff instead.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3699 (isolation #217) » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:03 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Correct. And very well then:

White to move, mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3702 (isolation #218) » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3700, Who wrote:
Spoiler:
Qd4.
If black blocks with pawn, Qd5#. Else f7#.
Spoiler:
Doesn't work: 1. Qd4 h7 and then there isn't a mate on the next move.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3704 (isolation #219) » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:40 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

inspiratieloos has it.

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3706 (isolation #220) » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:51 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Implosion gets that one. I'd keep score if I wasn't so lazy. Instead, have another:

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3708 (isolation #221) » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:52 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Spoiler:
Felissan is right. What I like about that puzzle is that Kd6 is the only square the King can move and still have a mate next turn, so it's a very specific wasting move you need.

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3717 (isolation #222) » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, serra has it. 1. Ra1 Kxg6 (forced) 2. Qb1#

Let's shake it up. Try a mate in 3.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3719 (isolation #223) » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:57 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well done, Faalcon.

Another mate in 3.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3733 (isolation #224) » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Very well done, Faalcon.

Here's a simpler one for the chess novices who still want to participate:

Mate in 6
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3735 (isolation #225) » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

StrangerCoug gets on the board! A more difficult one:

Mate in 3
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3737 (isolation #226) » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3736, itlepip wrote:
Bc6 Kd4 Nc5 if e5 Rd6 if anything else Rf4#
Spoiler:

Not checkmate, since black can play Bd5 to escape the rook check from d6.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3740 (isolation #227) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

A hint, for people that want one:
Spoiler:
In most variants, the critical square that black escapes to is e4, then e3. So you want a move from white that can prevent black's king from marching down the board.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3742 (isolation #228) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:41 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3741, itlepip wrote:Not d4 d3? Every line I have seen fails due to those squares.
It turns out that marching down the board in a lot of lines. Either way, you have to stop black from doing that.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3743 (isolation #229) » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Too hard? Should I give more hints or just give the solution?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3746 (isolation #230) » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Alright, here's a clue:
black escapes most variations by marching down the board, either to e4 to d4, and then escaping the net. White needs to find a way to block black's king from getting down the board, without moving any of the pieces that will be necessary for the mating move, and has two moves to get into position. Maybe there are some other concerns white has in this position that can be disregarded if they don't actually stop white from getting into position.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3751 (isolation #231) » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:56 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Spoiler:
Indeed, Ke2 is the key. It's such a ludicrous looking move, but it turns out there's nothing black can do to stop the white king from getting into place:
1. Ke2 f1=Q+ (1... f1=N+ 2. Rf2+ Kxe4 3. Bd3#, 1... Kxe4 2. Bd3+ Kd4 3. Rf4#, or 1... Kd4 2. Rf4+ e5 3. Nxg3#)
2. Ke3 and then black has ten different ways to check the king, and all of them can be blocked with a discovered checkmate:
2... Qe1+ Be2#
2... Qd3+ 3. Bxd3#
2... Qe2+ 3. Bxe2#
2... Qf2+ 3. Rxf2#
2... Qf3+ 3. Rxf3#
2... Qf4+ 3. Rxf4#
2... Qg1+ 3. Rf2#
2... Bf4+ 3. Rxf4#
2... Re2+ 3. Bxe2#
2... Bf2+ 3. Rxf2#

A fairly difficult puzzle, I think, but the solution is so pretty that I think it was worth it anyway.
Last edited by Sudo_Nym on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3762 (isolation #232) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sorry to interrupt, but:

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3772 (isolation #233) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:41 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Congrats to Inspirateloos.

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3774 (isolation #234) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Indeed. Here's another:

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3776 (isolation #235) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Indeed; Qa1, and then there's nothing black can do to escape. I feel like Sam Loyd has the idea to pick ridiculous looking moves, and then figure out a situation where that's the solution to a puzzle.

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3790 (isolation #236) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:38 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3793 (isolation #237) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:57 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Correct, Rhinox. Getting the Rook out of the way while covering the promotion square leaves black with no outs. Perhaps my predilection for puzzles where the solution is the most ludicrous looking move is making things too easy. Let's shake this up:

It turns out there's a missing pawn in the problem! White to add a pawn to the board somewhere, then mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3795 (isolation #238) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:52 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, it has to involve some element of the unexpected, or it's not much of a puzzle, is it?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3797 (isolation #239) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:29 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Elekitu has it.

White is kicking himself- after completing his last move, he notices that he could have checkmated black instead! What move did white just play, and what move should he played to checkmate instead?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3799 (isolation #240) » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

SS has it. I normally enjoy watching the though process, but I won't hold it against him.

A bit of a simpler one along the same lines:

Assuming it's white to move, what must black's last move have been?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3801 (isolation #241) » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Faalcon is correct! Let's have a little fun:

Mate in 0.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3806 (isolation #242) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:09 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Mate in 2.
Last edited by Sudo_Nym on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3808 (isolation #243) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sorry, I accidentally swapped the color of one of the pawns that invalidated the solution. Should be better now.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3811 (isolation #244) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

@Rhinox: Correct!

@S_S: Stop breaking kayfabe!

Another mate in 2
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3813 (isolation #245) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Is that a serious guess, or are you just looking for a ludicrous move?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3815 (isolation #246) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:27 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Nope, Qg2 is correct. I'm just wondering if people are actually working on the puzzles or just guessing silly moves at this point. Call me paranoid. That said, if there's somebody out there who has a fun puzzle that uses completely expected moves, feel free.

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3821 (isolation #247) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sukima is correct.

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3823 (isolation #248) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:40 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Elekitu has this one. I'm going to take a break on these for a little bit, I think.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3829 (isolation #249) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:14 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Spoiler:
I think this is it:
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3831 (isolation #250) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Are you sure it's 8 moves?

Spoiler:
1. Qxh7+ Kxg7 (forced) 2. Nxf6+ Kh6 (if 2... Kh8 then 3. Ng6#) 3. Neg4+ Kg5 (forced) 4. f4+ Kh4 (if 4... Kxf4 then 5. g3+ Kg5 6. h4# or 5. g3+ Kf3 6. 0-0#) 5. g3+ Kh3 (forced) 6. Bf1+ Bg2 (forced) 7. Nf2#
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3845 (isolation #251) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3843, Elekitu wrote:
Spoiler:
1. Qg3 [whatever]
2. Qb8#

1. Ra5+ Bxa5
2. b5#

1. d6+ Ka7
2. Qa2#
Spoiler:
These look like they work, though I think the intended solution for puzzle one is Qa6 bxa6 Bxc6#
Last edited by Sudo_Nym on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3847 (isolation #252) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Ya got me, ya tricksy devil
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3848 (isolation #253) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, I suppose that's long enough to wait.

Mate in 3.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3850 (isolation #254) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:40 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Faalcon is correct.

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3852 (isolation #255) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:05 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3851, itlepip wrote:
Qxd6 nx rx else rb1
If Qxd6+, then a5 and there's no mate.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3854 (isolation #256) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:09 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3853, Something_Smart wrote:
Spoiler:
1. Qe6
1. ...Nxe6 2.Na7#
1. ...a5 2. Na7#
1. ...Nb6 2. Rxc5#
1. ... Kb6 2. Rb1#
1. ...c4 2. Rb1#
1. ...Ne8 2. Na7#
1. Qe6 cxd4 and there's no mate.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3856 (isolation #257) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:27 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3855, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 3854, Sudo_Nym wrote:
In post 3853, Something_Smart wrote:
Spoiler:
1. Qe6
1. ...Nxe6 2.Na7#
1. ...a5 2. Na7#
1. ...Nb6 2. Rxc5#
1. ... Kb6 2. Rb1#
1. ...c4 2. Rb1#
1. ...Ne8 2. Na7#
1. Qe6 cxd4 and there's no mate.
Spoiler:
Qg6 then

most of the lines are the same, and if cxd4 Qb1 is mate
That's the solution.
Basically, covering the knight gives you mate in most lines, you just need specifically Qg6 for the cxd4 line.

More mate in 2 action.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3859 (isolation #258) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

S_S is correct.

What was the last move by each player?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3862 (isolation #259) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3860, Faalcon wrote:
Spoiler:
black played Ba7 and white played Nxa7
Assuming you meant to flip the board, that's correct.

Mate in 1, but for who? Who's turn is it, and what is the mate?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3864 (isolation #260) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

S_S is correct

Mate in 2.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3870 (isolation #261) » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:28 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sorry I'm late, but Sukima is right.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3876 (isolation #262) » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:08 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

We are airy little creatures,
All of different voices and features:
One of us in glass is set,
One of us you'll find in jet,
Another you may see in tin,
And the fourth a box within;
If the fifth you should pursue,
It can never fly from you.
What are we?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3886 (isolation #263) » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:46 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Put point A at 1/3 the distance, and point B at 2/3 the distance.

Pick up 1000 bananas, walk to point A. The camel eats 333 bananas on the way, so leave the remaining 667 bananas at A. Go back to the start, pick up 1000 bananas, go to point B, picking up 333 bananas at A on the way. The camal eats 333 bananas from A to B, so now there's 1000 bananas at the start, 334 bananas at A, and 667 bananas at B. Go back to start, pick up 1000 bananas. Walk to the end, picking up 333 bananas at A, and 333 Bananas at B. Now you have 1 banana at A, 334 at B, and 667 bananas at the finish. So it's possible to get 667 bananas to the end point this way.

Put A at 1/4, B at 1/2, C at 3/4:

Code: Select all

Start
3000  2000  1000      0     0

A
0      750    500   250     0

B
0        0    750   500     0

C
0        0      0   750     0

Finish 
0        0      0     0   750

So you can get more bananas with 3 stops than with 4. I don't care to work out right now what the optimal number of stops is, but there's at least those two worked out.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3890 (isolation #264) » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:45 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Suppose 2n points are arranged on a plane so that no three are collinear, and then half are colored red and half are blue. Will it always be possible to connect a red dot to a blue dot, in pairs, so that none of the connecting lines intersect?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3893 (isolation #265) » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:18 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Spoiler:
BNLP's solution is correct. StrangerCoug's interpretation of the problem is correct, but BNLP's logic works just fine in either case.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3894 (isolation #266) » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:56 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Suppose we randomly select x and y on the interval [0, 1], uniformly distributed. What is the probability that mean(x,y) <= .1?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3927 (isolation #267) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:08 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Suppose we're going to play a game. The rules of the game are such: using an ordinary deck of cards whose cards have been shuffled, we each call out a sequence of colors (say, Red/Black/Red), then deal out the cards one at a time. Any time three cards in a row are dealt in a way that matches one of our called sequences, we take all three cards as a trick, and then continue dealing until all the cards are dealt, and then the player with the most tricks win.

Assuming I call RBR, what sequence should you call to maximize your chance at winning?

There is a general rule that allows P2 to maximize winnings against any sequence, if somebody feels like working that out as well.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3929 (isolation #268) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:47 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, that's the basic logic. BRR beats RBR 922 times out of 1000 in the simulation, if you're curious, and you're right about why it works. Cards instead of coin flips, if you're curious, party because you can "steal" cards, but not really recorded flips, and also because the finite number of cards in the deck raises P2's odds somewhat.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3930 (isolation #269) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Two men jointly own x cows. They sell the cows for x dollars a piece, and use the money to buy sheep at $12 each. They don't have exactly enough money from the sale of the cows to buy an integer number of sheep, so they buy a lamb with the remainder, then divide the flock so that each man has an equal number of animals. They both decide to sell their flocks at market value; the man who agreed to take the lamb is a little shortchanged, though, so the other man gives him his harmonica to make the deal even. How much was the harmonica worth?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3933 (isolation #270) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Implosion is correct.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3934 (isolation #271) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Suppose you're a King, and one day, messengers from two different lands come bearing cash to bribe you for your support. The first messenger has an infinite number of envelopes; the first envelope contains $1, the second contains $2, the nth envelope contains $n, and so on. The second messenger also has an infinite number of envelopes, such that the first contains $2, the second contains $4, and the nth contains $2n.

The second messenger claims that you should thus aid him, because for each envelope the first gave you, his envelope contains twice as much cash, and therefore, his bribe is greater. The first counters that his envelopes contain every integer amount of dollars, while the second messenger only brought half the integers, and therefore his own bribe is greater. Which one is correct?

Yes, I know it's silly.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4000 (isolation #272) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If you count the number 1, the first 9 primes are 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, and 19. Is it possible to construct a 3x3 magic square from these nine digits?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4002 (isolation #273) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:54 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Spoiler: Felissan
Correct. You could also say that the sum is 26, but the only even number in the sequence is 2. No matter where you place the 2, you have to find a way to sum to 26 using three odd numbers, which is impossible.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”