NZ Wheel of Fortune (Framm 18 vs. DOMO vs. xtopherusD)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

NZ Wheel of Fortune (Framm 18 vs. DOMO vs. xtopherusD)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 am

Post by RichardGHP »

TABLE OF CONTENTS

RULES

This is run differently to the actual show, so please make sure you are familiar with the changes. NZ Wheel of Fortune is based on StrangerCoug's Wheel of Fortune and uses StrangerCoug's format (with his permission). However, there are some changes, so please read everything carefully.
The champion has the first choice of colour and podium position (the first person in the queue if there is no champion). The next person in the queue has second choice of colour and podium position, and the person after that has the third choice of colour (and obviously gets whatever podium position is remaining). You can have any colour, provided that 1) it is available in PowerPoint, 2) it is not already taken and 3) it is not black or grey. Some suggestions are red, orange, yellow, blue, green and purple as well as light and dark varieties of those colours. I am always happy to make a test image if you want to see how something looks before deciding.
Note:
if you are the champion, I will assume that you want your current colour and position to carry over into the next match, so you'll have to PM me if you want to change it.

For every puzzle, I will choose a word or phrase and give you the category. Every letter in that word or phrase will be represented with a blank white square unless I state that some of the letters will be revealed immediately. Punctuation is always revealed immediately.

TOSSUP

I will start each match with a toss-up for $1,000 and the right to go first in the main game. I will reveal a quarter of the board at random at the outset. If no one solves within 24 hours or everyone passes, then I will reveal another quarter of the board. If there are still no solves 24 hours after that or everyone passes, then another quarter of the board is revealed. If 24 hours go by after THAT without a solve or everyone passes, no one wins.

Toss-ups may last longer than 72 hours due to real life stuff, and the 24 hours timers are just there to tell me when to put up more letters. Only the last timer is a hard limit. However, regardless of the actual length of the toss-up round, you get one shot and one shot only at the puzzle.

MAIN GAME

The winner of the toss-up (the champion if no one won, or 1d3 if there is no champion) goes first in the first round. He or she will throw a 1d72 likeso:

Code: Select all

[dice]1d72[/dice]

This will constitute a spin of the wheel. What happens next depends on the result of the spin:

• Dollar figure: The player will select a consonant (Y counts). If it's there, I will reveal all instances of that letter and credit the player with the amount spun for each occurrence (for example, spinning $500 and guessing a consonant that appears twice wins $1,000). If the consonant does not appear, play passes to the next player. Top dollar in Round 1 is $500.
  • Free Play: The player may guess any available letter at all (vowels are worth nothing, consonants are worth $250 apiece) or even solve the puzzle. If a player picks a wrong letter or solves incorrectly, the player will be allowed to retain his or her turn instead of play passing as usual.
  • Lose a Turn: Play passes to the next player.
  • Bankrupt: The player loses all money in the round, any unclaimed prizes, and his or her turn.

As of 20/5/13, no simultaneous actions (i.e. two or more actions taken without me updating in between) will be acknowledged. This could include spinning and guessing, guessing and solving, buying and spinning or any other such combinations.

When a player has at least $250, he or she may buy a vowel at that price. If it's there, the turn continues; otherwise, it passes. It is a flat rate; whether it's one, many, or none at all, it's still $250.

If at any time during their turns players believe they know the answer, they may solve instead of spinning or buying. The solution, which must be in bold and preferably in caps, must be exactly as I have it (including punctuation, if there is any*) with no misspellings or any words added or deleted. (Exception: In the rare event that a puzzle contains an accent mark, the accent mark is not required for a correct solve, but it counts against you if the accent mark is incorrect or you place an accent on a letter that has none. For example, if the category is
FOOD AND DRINK
and the puzzle is
HABANERO CHILI
, I will penalize for
HABAÑERO CHILI
since it's not spelled like that in Spanish.) If it is correct, the player banks all cash and prizes and wins the round, while losing players return all unclaimed cash and prizes.

• It is an appreciated courtesy to state which of the three actions you're doing before you do it.

* When the category is
SONG AND ARTIST
, the two components of the puzzle will be separated by an en-dash (–). For the purpose of solving, I will accept either that, a hypen (-), or an em-dash (—).

Round 1 is the Question Puzzle Round. The person who solves it may answer a bonus question related to the puzzle for an additional $500. Answering the bonus question is the only time in the whole game that I will not penalize for misspelling the answer.

Round 2 is the Jackpot Round, started by the player after the one who started Round 1. A Jackpot wedge will be placed on the wheel. Top dollar is raised to $900, and the starting value of the jackpot will be $1,000. Each time the wheel is spun, I will add that amount to the Jackpot (only wedges that actually state a dollar value affect the jackpot). The amount is added at a flat rate, whether the consonant appears once, more than once, or not at all. A player who lands on Jackpot and calls a correct consonant may take $250 per instance of that consonant or immediately attempt to solve the puzzle. A correct solve while on the Jackpot wedge adds the jackpot to the player's winnings.

Round 3 is the Mystery Round, started by the player after the one who started Round 2. The top dollar value will be increased again to $2,000, the Jackpot wedge removed, and two Mystery wedges placed on the wheel. A second Bankrupt wedge is also added. If a player lands on a Mystery wedge and calls a correct consonant, the player may choose to take $500 per letter or turn over the wedge to reveal either $2,500 or Bankrupt. Bankrupt functions as normal, while $2,500 nets the player that amount plus $500 per letter. The $2,500, if won, goes directly into the player's Banked Total and is therefore not spendable on vowels. If one wedge is turned over, both are removed from the wheel and play continues as normal.

After round 3 comes a $2,000 tossup, then a speedup round.

SPEEDUP

After Round 3, I will remove both Mystery wedges from the wheel and spin it. The amount is determined with a 1d72 as normal and I will use the arrow of the player who won the second tossup (the person who went first in Round 1 if no one won), who will also be the first player in the speedup. Vowels are worth nothing; consonants are each worth the amount spun. If the wheel lands on any wedge other than a dollar value, I will spin again. After that, I will reveal the puzzle.

On your turn, you may call any letter. If it's there, you will then have 24 hours to solve or pass. If you do not choose a letter within 24 hours, you forfeit your turn and I will not prod you in this case. It is not required, but strongly appreciated if you wait to be called
BEFORE
guessing. At the end of the speedup, the person with the most money in cash and prizes wins and goes on to the bonus round. If there is a tie at this point, the tied players will play a third tossup for the right to play in the Bonus Round, and if there is
STILL
no winner after that, nobody wins.

BONUS ROUND

You will spin the bonus round wheel to determine your bonus round prize (1d72 as before). Whatever you get is publicly known. The top prize is $50,000.

After the spin, I will show the puzzle and reveal all instances of R, S, T, L, N, and E. I will then ask you for three consonants and one vowel. After you make your four selections, I will put them up. To win the prize, you must solve the puzzle within 24 hours. You are allowed as many guesses as I can judge during that time.

Champions retire after three matches or winning the $50,000 prize at the Bonus Round.

IMPORTANT NOTES

• If you go 48 hours without an action (except in the Speedup), I will prod you. If you do not respond to the prod within 24 hours, you lose your turn and get a strike. Two strikes and you're out of the round; three strikes and you're out of the game (the game continues without you—I will not replace players mid-match). If two drop out of the round, the remaining player wins the round and any accumulated cash by default, and may choose to immediately solve the puzzle for an additional $1,000. If two players drop out of the game altogether, the previous applies; further, the remaining player wins the game by default, collects the other players' winnings and goes straight to the bonus round.
  • Please do not edit your posts. I must rule all edited guesses as incorrect and assume that any edited spin was originally one that was going to land on Bankrupt. Caught edits also result in a strike.
  • Below the board are the letters that have not been picked yet. Please pay attention to this as if you guess a letter guessed already, you lose your turn. (
    Exception:
    I will tell you if there are no more consonants or no more vowels, but forgetting this incurs no penalty, even if it would if there were that type of letter left.
    Exception #2, effective 19/4/13:
    If you call a letter which has already guessed and which does not appear in the puzzle, you will be allowed another guess if I originally forgot to delete the letter in question from the used letter board.)
  • If you guess a vowel on any wheel spin other than Free Play or try to buy a consonant, you lose your turn (and $250 if you do the latter).
  • Bear in mind that this is a New Zealand game and therefore uses British English spelling (e.g. colour, not color) in most cases. This can be especially important when solving.
  • Spectators are welcome (and encouraged) to converse with the host privately if they think they know the answer to a puzzle.

Spoiler: Mod Note

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
[b]LETTERS LEFT:[/b] [color=red]A[/color] B C D [color=red]E[/color] F G H [color=red]I[/color] J K L M N [color=red]O[/color] P Q R S T [color=red]U[/color] V W X Y Z
[thumb=650][/thumb]

LEADERBOARD

ContestantTotal WinningsWinsVisits
StrangerCoug$149,30045
DOMO$78,56615
Framm 18$76,10033
JerryArr$60,60012
diginova$51,85022

GAMES SO FAR

Spoiler:

Last edited by RichardGHP on Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 210 times in total.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

Confirm pre-/in, of course.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.
The Mini-Librarian
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:14 pm

Post by The Mini-Librarian »

/in
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

Did you mean to lower the price of the vowels? You say that they're $500, but trying to buy a consonant incurs only a $250 penalty.

RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

Hmm, good point.
*makes vowels worth $250*
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 0, RichardGHP wrote:When a player has at least $250, he or she may buy a vowel at that price. If it's there, the turn continues; otherwise, it passes. It is a flat rate; whether it's one, many, or none at all,
it's still $500.

You forgot something. I mean, it's your game (that's why I'm taking the differences I see from the actual NZ show as you liking my way better), but be consistent.

OK, not a great start. I did do my best to make the changes consistent, but everyone makes mistakes. ~ Richard

Feirei
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Post by Feirei »

/in
I apologize if certain words are misspelled. My sister got too liberal with liquid drinks near the laptop.

~Current number of pre-ins for Fire vs Ice Mafia: 0/6~

You never know what you've got until it's gone.
You can call me Fei, Feirei, or Kari.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

And with that, we have the players for our first match. So without further ado, here is your first tossup. You are playing for $1,000 and the right to go first in round one, and we are looking for a
FILM
. Good luck!
(expired on 2012-12-06 14:36:00) to solve or pass.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

Pass

Feirei
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Post by Feirei »

Pass
I apologize if certain words are misspelled. My sister got too liberal with liquid drinks near the laptop.

~Current number of pre-ins for Fire vs Ice Mafia: 0/6~

You never know what you've got until it's gone.
You can call me Fei, Feirei, or Kari.
The Mini-Librarian
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 pm

pass
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

Alright, have a few more letters to help.
(expired on 2012-12-06 15:14:00) to solve or pass.
The Mini-Librarian
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:14 pm

the world is not enough
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

You got it!
That means The Mini-Librarian is in the lead with $1,000. Round 1 will be up in a couple of hours.
Last edited by RichardGHP on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Mini-Librarian
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Can I roll in advance?

If so

Original Roll String: 1d27
1 27-Sided Dice: (19) = 19
The Mini-Librarian
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm

fucked up that roll

Original Roll String: 1d72
1 72-Sided Dice: (43) = 43
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

I'll make that RichardGHP's decision.

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

hey Richard, the bottom one is a bit blurry, and it looks like a .jpg by accident. Just FYI.

also /in
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

I'll say no to rolling in advance. Anyway, let's look at the wheel.
Top dollar in Round 1 is $500. For our puzzle, we are looking for
FILL IN THE BLANK
LETTERS LEFT:
A
B C D
E
F G H
I
J K L M N
O
P Q R S T
U
V W X Y Z

The Mini-Librarian, you won the right to start. Please spin the wheel. (Yours is the blue arrow, in case you didn't know - it will be properly lit in the next image)

animorpherv1 wrote:hey Richard, the bottom one is a bit blurry, and it looks like a .jpg by accident. Just FYI.

also /in

I am aware of that, and I have tried to fix it by resizing to no avail. Would it be better as a .png?
Last edited by RichardGHP on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:21 pm

Post by Xalxe »

In post 18, RichardGHP wrote:Would it be better as a .png?

Always.

Spoiler: How about this?
- Richard
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
SoraAdvent
SoraAdvent
Goon
SoraAdvent
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Post by SoraAdvent »

/in.
The Mini-Librarian
The Mini-Librarian
Goon