Three Person Mafia

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
CRiX
CRiX
Pacifist of Inatitude
CRiX
Pacifist of Inatitude
Pacifist of Inatitude

Three Person Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:32 pm

Post by CRiX »

Ok, I've spurred small intrest in the game on another site.. but I can't find the rules anywhere.. does anyone know where I can go about finding them? I know this was run not too long ago before the crash..
yup
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:46 pm

Post by mole »

Until mathcam comes along and explains them in full:

Three players (of course), two decks of cards. One of them contains:

Clubs: A23456789T
Diamonds/Hearts/Spades: A234

The other contains:

Clubs: 56789T
Diamonds/Hearts/Spades: 234

The first deck is the Role deck; deal three cards from that deck to each player. Diamonds, Hearts and Spades are the three mafia families - if two players are in the same family they can talk at night.

During the night, the mod rolls a die for each family. The number on the die indicates the player that family is able to kill - 1: kill player 1; 2: kill player 2; 3: kill player 3; 4, 5: re-roll; 6: no kill. The family can either choose to kill that player, or turn the die so it shows a 6 (indicating a no kill). Families with no members automatically get a 6.

Okay, so everyone wakes up and looks at the dice to see who gets killed. I think you need a majority of dice (not including 6s) showing the same number to make the kill (so Hearts: kill player 2, Diamonds: kill player 1, Spades no kill won't kill anyone, but Hearts: kill player 2, Diamonds: kill player 2, Spades: kill plyaer 1 will). That player selects one of their cards, reveals it to the other players, and removes it from the game.

Now the annoying part: the Wrath of God. This is what we need the second deck for. Turn cards over one at a time from the second deck, until one of them matches a card in a player's hand. That card is also out of the game.

Then if there are three players left, you can have a vote... if two players decide to lynch the other, the one who is lynched chooses a card to reveal.

And then we go back to night.

Coming soon: A sample game, or better yet, one of the games we played earlier, so you might understand this. It's not as complicated as it sounds, really... just that I suck :)
Last edited by mole on Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:12 pm

Post by mole »

Here's a game I modded and played against myself. :)

Alice:
3D, 7C, 9C
Bob:
AH, 3C, 6C
Carol:
2S, 4S, 2D

Mod rolls the dice for night 1:

Hearts:
6 (no kill)
Diamonds:
3 (kill Carol)
Spades:
6 (no kill)

Carol talks Alice into not killing her ;), so the night passes without a kill.

Wrath of God:
2H, 3S,
4S
, so Carol loses a card anyway.

Day:
Alice and Carol lynch Bob. He throws the
6C
, since it's not immune to the Wrath of God.

Night 2:

Hearts:
3 (kill Carol)
Diamonds:
6 (no kill)
Spades:
1 (kill Alice)

Carol likes Alice enough to pass on killing her with her Spades Mafia. Bob leaves his Hearts die on Carol, though...

At daybreak Carol throws the
2S

Wrath of God:
3D
- the Diamonds Mafia take a hit anyway.

Alice and Carol again team up, since Alice knows Bob is in the Hearts mafia (and for some reason Carol believes her. It's a pretty convincing argument, just imagine it). Bob gets rid of his
3C

Night 3:

Hearts:
1 (kill Alice)
Diamonds:
6 (no kill)
Spades:
6 (no members left!)

Bob continues his crime spree! Alice dies in the morning, and gets rid of her
9C

Wrath of God:
5C,
2D
, and it's all over. Carol is removed from the game entirely, and since the town can't lynch anyone with only two players, all Bob has to do is wait for either his Hearts Mafia goons or the Wrath of God (the AH is immune, so he's not worried about that himself) to take out Alice's remaining card.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:41 am

Post by mathcam »

Well done. Looks pretty good to me. There were a few additional rules that we decided upon while in the process of playing, to deal with some fringe cases, but I can't remember most of them.

One I remember involved the case where there are two mafia on a team and there is disagreement about who to kill. (For example, one of two diamonds mafia might realize he has a sure-fire win if he can kill his partner with the diamond roll at night). To resolve this, if there is a disagreement on who to kill, there are two cases:

1) If the potential target is one of the mafia involved, that mafia member has full discretion.
2) Otherwise, a vote to kill will always a vote to not kill.

If I remember more specifics, I'll post 'em.

Cam
CRiX
CRiX
Pacifist of Inatitude
CRiX
Pacifist of Inatitude
Pacifist of Inatitude

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:21 am

Post by CRiX »

hmm, that doesn't look too bad, but it might make for difficulty with myself modding people who haven't played mafia before ^_^ Oh well, I like confusion. Maybe it'll be fun. BTW: this game gonna get played again on these boards?
yup
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:38 am

Post by mathcam »

I'm certainly willing to moderate again, if there are people that want to play.

Cam
CRiX
CRiX
Pacifist of Inatitude
CRiX
Pacifist of Inatitude
Pacifist of Inatitude

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:37 am

Post by CRiX »

Well, I certainly would be interested in getting in on a game.. nothing is the same just watching..
yup
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:48 am

Post by Fishbulb »

I'd like to join in on this.
[url=http://fishbulb515.blogspot.com/][b]Fishblog![/b][/url]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:40 am

Post by mathcam »

mole, spot number three is reserved for out veteran, if he wants it. Else, let me know.

Cam
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:47 am

Post by PolarBoy »

One rule that should be altered is Wrath of God. In the games played BC(Before Crash) it was discovered that, by the end of the game, the entire WoG deck would be flipped, therefore the only cards that had even a chance of surviving to the end of the game were those that were immune to WoG. A variation I'm using in Inner Circle is drawing only one WoG card, regardless of whether it hits anything. By the way, Inner Circle is a variation on 3 player, or Conspiracy Mafia, that I'm running right now. The rules are basically the same, thought I've handed out role restrictions and abilities along with motives, and changed the names of virtually everything in the game for cosmetic reasons. If the players ever finish with night one, we may actually see a game played.(Note on Inner Circle: Too much night play, bad spectator game)
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:03 am

Post by Norinel »

Maybe a better way would be flip 2 or 3 cards and either stop with the first kill or allow multiple kills.

Who exactly is out veteran?
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:06 am

Post by mathcam »

I was referring to mole, but snoozers are losers. If you want the spot, Norinel, it's yours.

When designing the game, we toyed with variations on the WoG, notably both the "one card a night" and the method Norinel just mentioned. We found that the WoG often had too little effect in these cases. Typically when we played, even still, the WoG didn't have as much effect as it did in the first couple of games on this site.

Cam
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:20 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

The problem with WoG is that if it always kills then a non-WoG-immune card is essentially like having fewer cards. It seems unfair to me.
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:09 am

Post by mathcam »

Well it really depends on how the start of the game goes? Often you don't get down anywhere near the bottom of the WoG deck. Plus, though having non-immune cards is certainly undesirable. I don't see how that makes the game less fun. It's like saying that poker is unfair because sometimes you don't even get a pair.

Argument aside, if people still wanted to play C-Mafia, I'd be happy to play around with modifying the rules.

Cam
CRiX
CRiX
Pacifist of Inatitude
CRiX
Pacifist of Inatitude
Pacifist of Inatitude

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:06 am

Post by CRiX »

I still want to play.. don't really care what you do to the rules, since I won't be able to tell the difference, just have to make sure that I get it..
yup
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:12 am

Post by Fishbulb »

CRiX wrote:I still want to play.. don't really care what you do to the rules, since I won't be able to tell the difference, just have to make sure that I get it..
^ What he said. ^
[url=http://fishbulb515.blogspot.com/][b]Fishblog![/b][/url]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:13 am

Post by mathcam »

Okay, we'll play some more with the same rules. Just awaiting confirmation from Norinel or mole...

Cam
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:16 am

Post by Norinel »

Not in, sorry.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:11 am

Post by mathcam »

Not a problem. So mole or anyone else?

Cam
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:28 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

actually poker isn't less fun when you get a bad hand because you can control how much you lose. In this you either win or lose, and getting a really bad hand just means that you're extremely likely to lose.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:42 pm

Post by mole »

I'll be in now there's a place available.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:49 am

Post by mathcam »

PB: Personally, I view mafia in the same way. I feel that if you lose with crappy cards, then you haven't lost much at all. Where as if you win with crappy cards, you've played excellently. I think the mistake is to simply value, for example, a win in a mafia game as one point and a loss as zero points. You could get something like

4-N points for a victory, where N is the number of immune cards you have,
0 for losing.

Of course, I don't see any need to make this rigorous and part of the game (though we could and it might be fun), it's simply how I view mafia. People often complain that getting the serial killer role sucks because your chance of winning is so much smaller. In my mind, however, all roles are equal: A win as serial killer is simply worth more, and a loss less.

In any case, we've got three to start a game and I'll do so in a new thread so that I can have control of the first post. Check there (after a few minutes) for more info.

Cam

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”