Let's Play X-Com: Enemy Within!

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Let's Play X-Com: Enemy Within!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Stream is at http://www.twitch.tv/gammagooey , usually stream at 9pm EST Wednesdays.

Roster

Rk. O'Neil, The Obligatory nameless death
KIA, Operation Blinding Shroud (Sectoid),
Cpl. Reck, The Heavy that knows Gamma from college

Sq. Zhou Wu, The Grenadiering Sniper That Doesn't Take Your Shit
KIA, Operation Purple Daze (Thin Man)
Sq. Cybele, The Overly Anxious Robot Support

Sq. Eddard Stark, The Watcher on The Walls, Assault
KIA, Operation Purple Daze (Thin Man)
Sq. RC, The Trigger-Happy Texan, Support

Rk. Action Jackson, The Guy Who Really Wants Reck's Rocket Launcher
KIA (Floater)
Rk. Cheery Dog, The Guy with Canine Tendencies

Sq. Caled, The Eager Support Soldier
KIA, (Thin Man)
Cpl. Billy 'Big Bollocks' Nexus, The Big-Bollocks'd coward
Rk. Dan Morph, Died Holding what he loved
KIA (Thin Man)
Rk. Aigis, Whose Robotic Tendencies never came to be
KIA (Thin Man)
Rk. Qiao Lixiang, Short-lived Predictor of Ani's demise
KIA (Thin Man)
Cpl. Seedy Bee, The Mostly Suicidal Heavy
Sq. Silver Dirttrip, The Hair-based Secret Weapon, Sniper
KIA (Sectoid)
Rk. Titus, The Crazy Occult one
Rk. Metis, Aigis's Avenger
Cpl. 'Phantom', The Calm from Argentina, Sniper
Sq. SpyreX, The Mechanical Man, MEC Trooper
Rk. Pi, The Has-Not-Been-On-A-Mission-Yet-At-This-Time
??? Robb Stark, The Has-Not-Been-On-A-Mission-Yet-At-This-Time
Spoiler: old streams
WARNING-SHIT SOUND QUALITY: First UFO Mission http://youtu.be/uO8lPFqOmzY
Argentina Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_eN8NCz44
PORTENT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7WzaD4 ... yDBRCkNK5w
Argentina Time Pt2: http://youtu.be/j19L0ayaPvk
The Confusion and the Terror: http://youtu.be/d_bLke3I3Cw

Welcome... to X-com.

X-Com is a turn-based action-strategy game, wherein aliens have invaded Earth and the X-Com Project has been established in a secret meeting of Nations to pool their efforts and fight back. A squad of 4-6 men are sent out on missions to eliminate aliens, rescue VIPs, defuse bombs, or fight a new enemy, the EXALT, a transhumanist orginization that seeks to use the alien technology to gain power and evolve mankind, with the ultimate goal of world domination. To fight them covert operatives will be sent to infiltrate EXALT cells around the world, culminating in missions to retrieve the operative or hack relays to gain information on EXALT's primary base location.

Aside from the EXALT, the other major additions are a special scripted mission that happens sometime after the Alien Base Assault, and the addition of Meld, a new resource gathered in canisters on the game map that allows for either genetic modification of your soliders or the creation of MECs, Mechanized Exoskeleton Cybersuits with Miniguns and tactical subsystems that begin with the option between flamethrowers or EXTREME PUNCHING ABILITIES.

This is going to be very similar to Wraith's let's play he did here almost two years ago (http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=24004 - it has a lot of backstory on X-Com as well if you're interested), I'll be playing on Classic Ironman, and all of the rest of the Second Wave options and the multiple choice missions will be chosen by the viewers, as well as any squad promotions recieved at the end of a play session. (assuming we get enough volunteers I'll try to space out the people on missions so the volunteer can choose their own promotions as much as possible)

As evidenced by Wraith's previous playthrough, X-Com has surprisingly lax hiring standards- however, we do ask that you fill out this application to become our
cannon fodder
soldiers.
X-COM APPLICATION
Name: This is your username, which will be your soldier's Last Name. If you want a specific First Name, put it down, but it matters less.
Gender: This is optional. I can't actually change the gender of soldiers and the split is usually around 50/50 for men and women soldiers, but if you have a specific preference for one or the other, put it down
Race: The game has 4 races, White, Black, Asian, and Arab/Hispanic (the game lumps these together, not me)
Hair: This is basically hair style, just give me a little description of what you want and I'll choose the closest one. Enemy Within adds even more hats and options including a baseball cap, old school headphones, and some hazmat/futuristic helmets, describe what you want and i'll do my best to match it.
Hair Color: Self-explanatory. Ridiculous colors are acceptable too.
Facial Hair: Again, just give me a gist. There are LOTS of varieties of different beards, mustaches, sideburns, or combinations of each.
Armor Tint: This is armor color. Ridiculous colors are acceptable too.
Why I Should Hire YOU: Optional, but if you care to roleplay a little give me a little blurb on why X-COM wants YOU.

EXAMPLE DUDE

Any factors not mentioned above will be randomly assigned, more or less (including gender, unless specified in application or your forum profile). Everyone starts as Rookies, but once you hit Squaddie you are (more or less randomly) assigned one of four classes: Assault (Up Close and Personal Workhorse), Sniper (Deadly Dead-Eyed Motherfuckers), Heavy (Inaccurate Bricks), and Support (MEDIC). If you get killed, I will not make duplicates.

I'll be posting a the story through screenshots and possibly some highlight reel videos here, and if I can set it up on my computer I'll be livestreaming some or all of the the game as well. The first 'episode' will start at 9pm EST on Wednesday and I'll post the link here once I get the specifics figured out.

Chosen Base:

Chosen Second Wave Options:
Second Wave Options Descriptions

Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.

Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
Training Roulette: Each soldier's training tree will be mostly randomly generated. Does not apply to MEC Troopers.
After a Soldier receives a Class and their first ability, additional ranks can grant randomized abilities from a pool of the all the Class abilities sets minus any skills that are dependent on a specific weapons (which are still Class locked). So you could have an Assault with Sprinter or a Heavy with Deep Pockets.

Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete. Choosing this option significantly increases the length of research and construction time.
Aiming Angles: Units receive aim bonus the closer to flanking an enemy they are.
Mind Hates Matter: Psionic soldiers can't become gene modded or vice-versa.
Save Scum: Loading a saved game will reset the random number seed, so taking an identical action may yield different results.
doesn't do anything on ironman

-----------------------

I would prefer to Not do either of Marathon or Red Fog, as the game is already going to take a fairly long time without Marathon and Red Fog looks like it only affects our troops and ignores health from armor so even a low damage hit on someone with ridiculously good armor can fuck them over for the rest of the mission. I WOULD like to do at least one or two of Not Created Equally, Hidden Potential and Training Roulette because I find it a lot more fun when the soldiers aren't functionally identical.
You may notice that a few of the options Wraith had for Second Wave aren't listed- although they've added a patch to make the Second Wave options he modded in regularly available, they're now unlocked by beating the game on Classic+Impossible and I've only done a complete playthrough on normal so far.

I'll post a few opening screenshots of the troop options and MECs/Gene Mods later tonight, and thanks to Wraith for allowing me to steal his application and the other information from his thread!

TL/DR- if you want to participate in a
potentially
probably suicidal mission to save the world, fill in the application and vote on any of the Second Wave options that you want! The first mission starts 9pm EST Wednesday if you want to watch or be in at the start but we'll still be needing PLENTY of new recruits after that.
Last edited by Gammagooey on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 55 times in total.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:32 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

X-COM APPLICATION
Name: Reck
Race: White
Hair: BEER HAT. Otherwise you know that I have shortish brown hair.
Hair Color: Brown
Facial Hair: None (or very very very light shadow if needed)
Armor Tint: Pink & yellow.
Why I Should Hire YOU: Because I know where you live.
green shirt thursdays
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

I just want to say that I bought Enemy Unknown in large part due to Wraith's topic, and I've loved every bit of it. I didn't buy the expansion though because it wasn't on sale, so I'm definitely going to be following this.

I don't really want to apply though, because I don't feel like dying. I might contribute something else if there aren't many applications though.
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Hooray!

X-COM APPLICATION
Name: Eddard Stark
Hair: Medium length
Hair Color: Brown
Facial Hair: Beard
Armor Tint: Grey and White
Why I Should Hire YOU: Because Winter is Coming
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 2, KingdomAces wrote:I just want to say that I bought Enemy Unknown in large part due to Wraith's topic, and I've loved every bit of it. I didn't buy the expansion though because it wasn't on sale, so I'm definitely going to be following this.

I don't really want to apply though, because I don't feel like dying. I might contribute something else if there aren't many applications though.

It's not STEAM SALE prices but I got Enemy Within for $20 from amazon instead of $30 if you want it and that'd put it in your price range
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Post by Cybele »

Spoiler:
X-COM APPLICATION
Name: Cybele
Race: dun matter
Hair: something shorter, and cooler. Darker in colour.
Facial Hair: NOPE
Armor Tint: Darker green. Not necessarily camo, but sort of a forest green tint.
RANKCLASSNAMEDESIGNATIONMISSIONSKILLS
CorporalHeavyReck, TafariSledgeBlinding Shroud
Flying Hymn
Purple Daze
Morbid Breath
Devil's Vanguard
Sectoid: 8
Thin Man: 2
Outsider: 1
SquaddieMEC TrooperCybele, Tovan/aBlinding Shroud
Flying Hymn
Morbid Breath
Sectoid: 5
SquaddieSupportRC, Maximiliann/aFlying Hymn
Purple Daze
Morbid Breath
Devil's Vanguard
Sectoid: 2
Thin Man: 1
SquaddieSupportCaled, Karenn/aDevil's VanguardSectoid: 2
Rookien/aJackson, Actionn/aMorbid Breath
Rookien/aDog, Cheeryn/aDevil's Vanguard
Squaddie
Sniper
Wu, Zhou
n/a
Blinding Shroud
Purple Daze
Thin Man: 1
Squaddie
Assault
Stark, Eddard
n/a
Flying Hymn
Purple Daze
Last edited by Cybele on Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

X-COM APPLICATION
Name: RC
Hair: Mod's choice/randomize it
Hair Color: Mod's choice/randomize it
Facial Hair: Mod's choice/randomize it
Armor Tint: Red
Why I Should Hire YOU: I'm from Texas... I'll bring my own guns!

I played Enemy Unknown and liked it a lot... is it worth it to get Enemy Within?
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I may as well take the one from last time this happened (and hopefully not die straight away)
Actually I'll bother giving more information, and more serious choices

Cheery Dog wrote:
Name: Cheery Dog
Hair:
Something possibly random
Huge mess
Hair Color:
lets go Yellow
Black
Facial Hair: stubble
Armor Tint:
I don't really mind.
Blue
Why I Should Hire YOU: My nose can sniff out those aliens.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

RedCoyote wrote:
I played Enemy Unknown and liked it a lot... is it worth it to get Enemy Within?

depends what you liked about it

if you really liked specializing your troops to have specific roles or to be individual characters then probably yes because $20 isnt bad and MEC suits are REALLY fun to use IMO+you get tons more soldier customization with the Training Roulette option from second wave

If you liked the special council missions or dealing with the surprises of new aliens then eeeeh. There ARE a few really good new missions and a new alien type added but it feels mostly the same and the overall story arc is almost identical aside from those few extra missions+dealing with EXALT as a kind of optional thing (basically they just do shitty things like raise panic or steal your money periodically, eliminating them makes that stop happening but you can just pretty much ignore them and try to get through the main missions relatively quickly so they don't have much effect if you so choose)

You might want to consider getting Enemy Within and downloading the Long War mod though (http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88/?)- I haven't tried it yet but it adds a lot of new campaign stuff, reworks panic and losing countries, and adds a TON of other stuff like 4 new soldier classes, new weapons, and has the long-term strategy stuff work a lot differently. It sounds really good and I'm almost definitely going to give it a try after I've had some time to play Enemy Within without it for a while.
ActionDan
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
ActionDan
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:44 am

Post by ActionDan »

X-COM APPLICATION
Name: Action Jackson
Race: Black
Hair: Thick
Hair Color: As dark as my pitch-black skin
Facial Hair: Mustache
Armor Tint: Red
Why I Should Hire YOU: Because I bring the ACTION
I'll give you a moment to let that sink in
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:33 am

Post by Nexus »

Name: Billy 'Big Bollocks' Nexus
Hair: Short hair
Hair Color: Pink
Facial Hair: Handlebar Moustache
Armor Tint: Lime Green
Why I Should Hire YOU: because I've got big bollocks.
Trans rights are human rights.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:11 am

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 8, Gammagooey wrote:
RedCoyote wrote:

depends what you liked about it

if you really liked specializing your troops to have specific roles or to be individual characters then probably yes because $20 isnt bad and MEC suits are REALLY fun to use IMO+you get tons more soldier customization with the Training Roulette option from second wave

If you liked the special council missions or dealing with the surprises of new aliens then eeeeh. There ARE a few really good new missions and a new alien type added but it feels mostly the same and the overall story arc is almost identical aside from those few extra missions+dealing with EXALT as a kind of optional thing (basically they just do shitty things like raise panic or steal your money periodically, eliminating them makes that stop happening but you can just pretty much ignore them and try to get through the main missions relatively quickly so they don't have much effect if you so choose)

You might want to consider getting Enemy Within and downloading the Long War mod though (http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88/?)- I haven't tried it yet but it adds a lot of new campaign stuff, reworks panic and losing countries, and adds a TON of other stuff like 4 new soldier classes, new weapons, and has the long-term strategy stuff work a lot differently. It sounds really good and I'm almost definitely going to give it a try after I've had some time to play Enemy Within without it for a while.

So you would consider it to be more an add-on or expansion pack, as it were?
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:21 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

X-COM APPLICATION
Name: Dan Morph
Hair: This is basically hair style, just give me a little description of what you want and I'll choose the closest one. Enemy Within adds even more hats and options including a baseball cap, what looks like a beer hat and some hazmat/futuristic helmets, describe what you want and i'll do my best to match it.
Hair Color: Do not care - something crazy.
Facial Hair: Sideburns
Armor Tint: Cyan
Why I Should Hire YOU: Because aliens faint when I come in.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:04 am

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 11, RedCoyote wrote:
So you would consider it to be more an add-on or expansion pack, as it were?

I guess more of a really solid add-on- the Exalt stuff is a bunch of extra content and they do behave differently than the regular aliens (using squad tactics) but it's not enough to really consider it a new campaign or anything like that.

(again the Long War mod does seem more like the full expansion pack experience though)
Prof Fridays
Prof Fridays
Mafia Scum
Prof Fridays
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:21 am

Post by Prof Fridays »

X-COM APPLICATION
Name: Zhou Wu (周五)
Race: Asian
Hair: Short, styled, with long bangs.
Hair Color: Black
Facial Hair: None
Armor Tint: Primarily Teal, Secondarily Purple [use my avatar's suit and tie for reference]
Why I Should Hire YOU: I'm a sassy Asian woman that don't need no man! (But is respectful of men as equal partners and is not a feminist)
Last edited by Prof Fridays on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You. I am going to bury you. I am going to bury you and erect an icecream stand on your grave. And all the kids will love that you're dead because they get ice cream. Also your tombstone will say 'here lies a cheeky scumbag.'" - Papa Zito

What if you knew way more about the game state Day 1?
THE LAB 4 is live!
Macaronis and Cheese
Macaronis and Cheese
Goon
Macaronis and Cheese
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:34 am

Post by Macaronis and Cheese »

Oops!
"Prof Friday...is like the opposite of Aronis."
- Magua
Feirei
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Post by Feirei »

I'll do this again.

Gimme a bit. its really difficult doing this on mobile.
I apologize if certain words are misspelled. My sister got too liberal with liquid drinks near the laptop.

~Current number of pre-ins for Fire vs Ice Mafia: 0/6~

You never know what you've got until it's gone.
You can call me Fei, Feirei, or Kari.
Feirei
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Post by Feirei »

X-COM APPLICATION
Name: Qiao Lixiang
Race: Asian
Hair: Long if possible. Elsewise, pigtails. Also pink, cause pink is nice.
Facial Hair: >_______> lol no
Armor Tint: Black
I apologize if certain words are misspelled. My sister got too liberal with liquid drinks near the laptop.

Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Not sure if the stream quality will be decent or not buuut I'm starting in 10 minutes!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gammagooey
Feirei
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Post by Feirei »

Question: Should our character bite the big one, are we permitted to reapply with a different character?

Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

yep
caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Post by caledfwitch »

~~**XCOM APPLICATION**~~ (yes the accents are necessary)

Name: Caled
Race: Asian, because good things come in threes. (Alternatively, you could change it to Arab/Hispanic for equal POC representation.)
Hair: Pixie cut, with a huge fucking helmet over it. Because hella.
Hair Color: Dark. If you can get
fuchsia
streaks or something in it I will speak at your metaphorical wedding.
Facial Hair: nah
Armor Tint: Grey.
Why I Should Hire YOU: Because hiring me gets you an ally for now, but a friend for LIFE. Remember who's speaking at your metaphorical wedding when you make their acquaintance. Yeah, it's this lady.

EDIT: Also because it's my scumday. u3u
must i have a gender.. is it not enough for me to simply b kinda hot sometimes

2x mafiascum member of the month !! wowowowee !!!
Feirei
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Feirei
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Post by Feirei »

:T your scumday was yesterday, but happy scumday anyways!

caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Post by caledfwitch »

Fei, don't ruin my vibe. >_______>
must i have a gender.. is it not enough for me to simply b kinda hot sometimes

2x mafiascum member of the month !! wowowowee !!!
Prof Fridays
Prof Fridays
Mafia Scum
Prof Fridays
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Post by Prof Fridays »

Sassy female Asian posse for the win! Hollaaaa! ^5
"You. I am going to bury you. I am going to bury you and erect an icecream stand on your grave. And all the kids will love that you're dead because they get ice cream. Also your tombstone will say 'here lies a cheeky scumbag.'" - Papa Zito

What if you knew way more about the game state Day 1?
THE LAB 4 is live!

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”