Battlestar Galactica 2 Looking for Replacement.

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Battlestar Galactica 2 Looking for Replacement.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Spoiler: Current Board

Player Status
#PlayerCharacterSkill CardsLocation
1ForWhomTheJellyRolls
President
Laura Roslin
9President’s Office
2animorpherv1Kara “Starbuck” Thrace14Weapons Control
3Magua
Admiral
William Adama
5Armory
4BipolarChemistSharon “Boomer” Valerii6Brig

Ship Status
StatAmount
Fuel6
Food4
Morale7
Population10
Nukes1
Quorum Cards3
Distance5 of 8
Jump Prep1 (No Jump)
DamageHangar Deck
Boarding PartyNone
Vipers in Reserve8
Damaged Vipers0
Raptors3

Galactica Space
Fore (9 o'clock)Basestar, 3 Raiders
Starboard-bow (11 o'clock)None
Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock)None
Aft (3 o'clock)3 Civilians
Port-quarter (5 o'clock)None
Port-bow (7 o'clock)None

Rules are here. I'm too lazy to write up all the components, so find a handy list here. Note that this is the base game, so you'll have to ignore anything from Pegasus or Exodus.

Rules (stolen from Magua!):
Rules of Play
  • 1. No talking about the game outside of the game thread.
    Remember the Secrecy Rules
    . You are not allowed to say what cards you played into a skill check, or how many points you contributed. You are not allowed to specify any of your Loyalty or Quorum cards. If you are allowed to look at the top card of a deck, you cannot make specific statements about it. You are allowed to say you do or do not have a specific skill card ("If someone has a Strategic Planning, I'll activate FTL").
    Allowed
    : "I can take most of this check," "I can only help a little bit," "I can get halfway there," "This destination is good," "You don't want to look at my Loyalty cards, it'll be bad"
    Not Allowed
    : "I put in 5 points," "I put in a Scout for Fuel," "It's a 3-distance destination," "If you look at my Loyalty cards you'll be executed"
    For situations where you are given two (or more) cards, and you must pick one and bury the other(s), you are not allowed to say anything about the card(s) you buried.
    3. If it's private, PM. If it's public, post in the thread bolded.
    4. For skill checks, PM the cards you're playing, and post in the thread the number of cards you're playing.
    5. The time limit to make a decision, move, etc, is 36 hours. The time limit to play into a skill check is 24 hours.
    6. It is your responsibility to declare when you want to play an interrupt.
    7. Conditional orders are good, m'kay?
    8. If a roll is involved, feel free to make it with dice tags. However, Strategic Planning cannot be played after the dice have been rolled.
Last edited by Sudo_Nym on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:17 am, edited 53 times in total.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

Still #in
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 am

Post by Magua »

/in to it to w/in it.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:20 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

What Magua said, but better and with more feeling.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 am

Post by ForWhomTheJellyRolls »

still /in I already pmed Sudo, but just for everyone else to know.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:02 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Haven't heard from Aegor, but he's got a slot if he wants in. Otherwise, we'll roll with whoever's here when the time comes around.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Post by Magua »

5 is the bestest number to play BSG with, so.

Also, spilling my character selection strategy (assuming that this is just the base game like Sudo's other thread):
- If it is my turn to pick a character, and no one has picked Laura Roslin, Gaius Baltar, or Tom Zarek: Pick Tom Zarek.
- Otherwise, if no one has picked Kara "Starbuck" Thrace, Lee "Apollo" Adama, or Sharon "Boomer" Valerii: Pick Sharon "Boomer" Valerii.
- Otherwise welp, no automatic selection for me, but prooooooobably going to lean towards Karl "Helo" Agathorn or Sharon "Boomer" Valerii (because god do I like playing as Boomer)
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Post by BipolarChemist »

I have never played this and have no idea what that means :)
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Alright, so in the following order, select your character:
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Animorpherv1
Magua
BipolarChemist
Aegor

I've put Aegor at the end; if he shows up, then he can select a character and play; otherwise, we'll go with 4.

Military Leaders

William Adama
Leadership
, 2
Tactics

• Inspirational Leader: When you draw a Crisis Card, all 1 strength Skill Cards count positive for the skill check.
  • Command Authority: Once per game, after resolving a skill check, instead of discarding the used Skill Cards, draw them into your hand.
  • Emotionally Attached: You may not activate the “Admiral’s Quarters” location
  • Start: Admiral’s Quarters

Saul Tigh
Leadership
, 3
Tactics

• Cylon Hatred- When a player activates the “Admiral’s Quarters” location, you may choose to reduce the difficulty by 3.
  • Declare Martial Law- Action: Once per game, give the President title to the Admiral
  • Alcoholic: At the start of any player’s turn, if you have exactly 1 Skill Card in your hand, discard it.
  • Start: Command

Karl “Helo” Agathon
Leadership
, 2
Tactics
, 1
Piloting

• ECO Officer: During your turn, you may reroll a die that was just rolled (once per turn). You must use the new result.
  • Moral Compass: Once per game, after a player makes a choice on a Crisis Card, you may change it.
  • Stranded: Your character is not placed on the game board at the start of the game. While not on the game board, you may not move, be moved, or take actions. At the start of your 2nd turn, place your character on the Hanger Deck location.

Pilots

Lee “Apollo” Adama
Tactics
, 2
Piloting
, 2
Leadership
/
Politics

• Alert Viper Pilot: When a viper is placed in a space area from the reserves, you may choose to pilot it and take 1 action. You may only choose to do this if you are on a Galactica location, excluding the brig.
  • CAG- Action: Once per game, you may activate up to 6 unmanned vipers.
  • Headstrong: When you are forced to discard Skill Cards, you must discard randomly.
  • Start: Launch and pilot a viper

Kara “Starbuck” Thrace
Tactics
, 2
Piloting
, 1
Leadership
/
Engineering

• Expert Pilot: When you start your turn piloting a viper, you may take 2 actions during your Action Step.
  • Secret Destiny: Once per game, immediately after a Crisis Card is revealed, discard it and draw a new one.
  • Insubordinate: When a player chooses you with the “Admiral’s Quarters” location, reduce the difficulty by 3.
  • Start: Hanger deck

Sharon “Boomer” Valerii
Tactics
, 2
Piloting
, 1
Engineering

• Recon: At the end of your turn, you may look at the top card of the Crisis deck and place it on the top or bottom.
  • Mysterious Intuition: Once per game, before resolving a skill check on a Crisis Card, choose the result (Pass or Fail), instead of resolving it normally.
  • Sleeper Agent: During the Sleeper Agent phase, you are dealt 2 Loyalty Cards, and then moved to the Brig location.
  • Start: Armory

Political Leaders

Laura Roslin
Politics
, 2
Leadership

• Religious Visions: When you draw a Crisis Card, draw 2 and choose 1 to resolve. Place the other on the bottom of the deck.
  • Skilled Politician- Action: Once per game, draw 4 Quorum Cards. Choose 1 to resolve and place the rest on the bottom of the deck. You do not need to be President to use this ability.
  • Terminal Illness: In order to activate a location, you must first discard 2 Skill Cards.
  • Start: President’s Office

Gaius Baltar
Politics
, 1
Leadership
, 1
Engineering

• Delusional Intuition: After you draw a Crisis Card, draw 1 Skill Card of your choice (it may be from outside your skill set).
  • Cylon Detector- Action: Once per game, you may look at all Loyalty Cards belonging to a single player.
  • Coward: You start the game with 2 Loyalty Cards.
  • Start: Research Lab

Tom Zarek
Politics
, 2
Leadership
, 1
Tactics

• Friends in Low Places: When a player activates the “Administration” or the “Brig” location, you may choose to reduce or increase the difficulty by 2.
  • Unconventional Tactics- Action: Once per game, lose 1 Population to gain 1 of any other resource type.
  • Convicted Criminal: You may not activate locations occupied by other characters (excluding the Brig)
  • Start: Administration

Support

“Chief” Galen Tyrol
Politics
, 2
Leadership
, 2
Engineering

• Maintenance Engineer: During your turn, after you use a “Repair” action card, you may take another action (once per turn).
  • Blind Devotion: Once per game, after cards have been added to a Skill Check (but before revealing them), you may choose a Skill type. All cards of the chosen type are considered strength 0.
  • Reckless: Your hand limit is 8 (instead of 10).
  • Start: Hanger Deck
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Post by Magua »

BipolarChemist wrote:I have never played this and have no idea what that means

Five
second
minute overview: There's three types of characters: political leaders, military leaders, and pilots. There's also Chief Galen Tyrol who is support.

You want at least one of each of the three groups. Things will be bad if we don't have at least one of each. Since there's five of us, we want either 2:2:1 or 2:1:1+Galen. 3:1:1 is probably bad and should be avoided. Again, not having one of the groups is *superbad* and should *definitely* be avoided.

So my character selection plan is:
- If we don't have a political leader already, pick Tom Zarek.
- If we already have a political leader but we don't have a pilot, pick Sharon "Boomer" Valerii.
- If we already have a political leader and we already have a pilot, I don't want to automatically pick. But, as a heads up, I'll probably pick Helo or Boomer if they're available.

(My character selections are because they fit my playstyle, not necessarily that Zarek is the best political leader or Boomer the best pilot. Starbuck, eg, is almost certainly the best pilot. But damn do I love some Boomer.)

Since you've never played and are picking fourth, I'd say: See if we're missing a group when it's your turn, and if we are, pick from that group. If we're not missing a group, well. Pick who you want.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 pm

I think I'll pick Laura Roslin. I don't usually get to play as one of the top political leaders.

Yeah, we definitely want to balance the the groups out as much as possible. It's also good to make sure we have someone who can get engineering cards, preferably more than one. And ideally we'd have at least two pilots in case one flips cylon and we're stuck with no one out shooting the bad guys. (There are other ways to deal with enemy ships so it's not necessary, but pilots are more effective) But definitely see if we're missing one of the first three groups and go with whatever sounds the coolest.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

On the note of pilots, I think I want Kara "Starbuck" Thrace.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Please insure that you make ALL decisions for this game right about now! If you don't post every nine hours, your slot will be modkilled and you will die a slow painful death. Happy Cylon hunting!

Just make conditional actions for every conceivable action in the next eight hours. Time's ticking!

(expired on 2014-07-24 08:00:00)
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:23 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 12, PrivateI wrote:Please insure that you make ALL decisions for this game right about now! If you don't post every nine hours, your slot will be modkilled and you will die a slow painful death. Happy Cylon hunting!

You're welcome to take Aegor's slot, if he doesn't show. Two 5s is better from a management standpoint, anyway.
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:25 pm

Post by BipolarChemist »

I'm going to bed soon, I guess I'm gonna miss that deadline!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Post by PrivateI »

I'm good, bro. With nine hour deadlines, I got to go to work/sleep on occasion. I understand being anxious to begin, but that's just crazy. And not Crazy like the incredible user on this site. But like, crazy, as in the current state of this game/these games.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Wait, where is this nine hour deadline thing coming from?
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Probably the OP.

PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 27, Porochaz wrote:I'll take Lee since CDB took my usual :(

In post 30, Sudo_Nym wrote:That leaves PrivateI to pick a character. No pressure on him, but I want to get this rolling ASAP, so if he isn't here by 8, we'll roll with 5.

In post 31, Sudo_Nym wrote:Well, unfortunate, but 5 is a good number for Battlestar Galactica, and it makes No Sympathizer a non-issue. Loyalty cards are going out now. Everyone except Boomer should post their desired skill draws once they've got their loyalty cards, and Apollo should decide where he wants his Viper to be. To nobody's surprise, Roslin will be the President and Adama will be the Admiral.

Hope that clears things up! Please see Sudo with any other questions! <3 you!
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Yeah but the post on the other game thread says 36 hour or 24 deadlines depending on somethings. It seemed to me like the 9 hour thing was just the one thing to get the ball rolling. Although I agree with you it seemed a bit short but he has given no indication that that is how the game will be played, so I still don't get where you're coming from. Unfortunately, your quotes did not clear things up.
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19 pm

Post by BipolarChemist »

Sudo gave him like 9-10 hours to choose a character before deciding to eject him from that game without PM or really much warning.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I admit to a certain amount of impatience in my hope to get the games started- I'm going to be out for much of tomorrow, so I wanted to get things running. I admit that this was almost certainly unfair to PrivateI in hindsight, which is why I offered him a place here. Unfortunate, but let's move along.

In the future, I'm going to generally give 24 hours to play moves; this is a long game, and I'd like to keep it moving along. However, so long as obvious activity is going on, in the sense of discussion and so forth, I can be more lax.
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 am

Okay, I get it now. He just confused the heck out of me with stuff that didn't make much sense. Let's get back on track.

I believe it's Magua's turn to pick a character. Roslin and Starbuck are already taken.
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:52 am

Post by Magua »

Choose Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades