Hey all! I'm here to gauge interest in a Diplomacy variant I could run. (Which coincidentally happens to be my all time favorite game) It's classic chaos which means it's 34 players and everyone starts with one center. It's a game of political intrigue! Negotiation, Strategy, and Tactics are all important!
The rules are really simple, and the only difference from other diplomacy games run here (other than number of players) is that all press will be public press only
(It makes it a lot more fun, and makes it a fairly low time-consuming game.)
For those who never played diplomacy before, the rules summarized are:
- You get as many armies/fleets as supply centers you own. (supply centers being the dots)
- Armies and fleets can move or hold where they are.
- They can also support the movements or holdings of neighboring countries.
- In order to overpower a place, you need more support than the opponent.
- (And Fleets can convoy armies across the sea)
- Trust no one; they could be lying to you.
Full rules here: http://www.backstabbr.com/rules
Game ends when one player has 18 centers, or when all remaining players want to draw the game together.
The main roadblock to this is getting 34 players, so I want to see how many would be interested (Are there even 34 mish-mash players here). With it being public press, it doesn't take long to organize with whichever alliance group you're in each turn. (If you can get part of a group
) The elimination rate is very high until the midgame so there's a good chance you'll be out in a week anyway. If you like playing survivor games, you'll like this game too.
Here's an example
of a previous game.