An ill-advised text-based adventure:

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
AcRv
AcRv
he/him
Goon
AcRv
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:31 pm

Post by AcRv »

WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS, OKAY?!
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -
Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc., 1989
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:50 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Go upstairs and get a starter kit
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:35 am

Post by vettrock »

In post 376, Cheery Dog wrote:
Go upstairs and get a starter kit

Then come back down.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:34 am

Post by Empking »

'Orange' as binary with vowels coded as 1 + 'Oranges' as binary with vowels coded as 0 - the number of vowels*10-the number of vowels -1 = 52
'Apple' as binary with vowels coded as 1 + 'Apples' as binary with vowels coded as 0 - the number of vowels*10-the number of vowels -1 = 23
'Banana' as binary with vowels coded as 1 + 'Bananas' as binary with vowels coded as 0 - the number of vowels*10-the number of vowels -1 = 72
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:13 am

Post by Aronis »

Take one of the dead guys swords and whatever gear he has that is salvageable
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:44 am

Post by McMenno »

>Also salvage some l00t from the dead guards, in addition to my previous action.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:33 am

Post by JDGA »

In post 378, Empking wrote:72
'Orange' as binary with vowels coded as 1 + 'Oranges' as binary with vowels coded as 0 - the number of vowels*11 -1 = 52
'Apple' as binary with vowels coded as 1 + 'Apples' as binary with vowels coded as 0 - the number of vowels*11 -1 = 23
'Banana' as binary with vowels coded as 1 + 'Bananas' as binary with vowels coded as 0 - the number of vowels*11 -1 = 72

what
(also I made the obvious simplification)
Fickle, cold and harsh or caring and warm
Strongly opinionated or barely invested, but a constant
You know the wind will always come back.
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:42 am

Post by KingdomAces »

The math is valid, don't worry about it.

It's probably not actually the answer, or at least the intended way to find it, but everything does check out, so maybe?
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:59 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

'Orange' as binary with vowels coded as 1 + 'Oranges' as binary with vowels coded as 0 - the number of vowels*10-the number of vowels -1 = 52
'Apple' as binary with vowels coded as 1 + 'Apples' as binary with vowels coded as 0 - the number of vowels*10-the number of vowels -1 = 23
'Banana' as binary with vowels coded as 1 + 'Bananas' as binary with vowels coded as 0 - the number of vowels*10-the number of vowels -1 = 72

Impressive.

I want to go up and get equipped, but I don't want to be away from the riddle that long. Decisions, decisions.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Post by vettrock »

In post 383, Nobody Special wrote:

Impressive.

I want to go up and get equipped, but I don't want to be away from the riddle that long. Decisions, decisions.

Agree its impressive, but doesn't seem likely to be the answer. I do think there is some kind of each letter is a number type think, but I haven't had time to sit down and try things.
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:03 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

a=1 b=2 e=5 g=7 l=12 n=14 o=15 p=16 r=18 s=19

1+16+16+12+5=50
15+18+1+14+7+5=60

I did this a while ago, but it came up a dud so I didn't bother posting it. Z=1 is even higher in both cases. Taking the numbers and adding the digits yields apple=23, but then orange=33, so still no dice. There could be some other key, but I can't tell what it is right now, so I'm just waiting to see if Empking is right somehow.

vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:49 pm

Post by vettrock »

When converted to ascii, apples has 22 1's and 26 zero's oranges has 32 1's and 24 zero's. Capital letters doesn't work either.

In the book the "Register of New Fruit and Nut Varieties 1920-1950", apples appear on page 23....Okay, I guess that is a bit of a stretch..:

https://books.google.com/books?id=KzdYB ... 52&f=false

I got nothing else....still thinking though...
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Sorry I've been gone for the last few days. If you read my blog (which, let's face it, nobody does), you'd know that I've been going through some seriously harsh times as of late, particularly over last weekend. In that case, basically two all-nighters in a row doing nothing but studying to so much as keep my job. I joke all the time that I'm paid to sit around and do nothing, but truth is, getting a recert is absolutely BRUTAL, taxing both physically *and* mentally.

Good news is, won't have to do it for another two years; I passed. Bad news is, I've been left in a position where I practically siteflaked, albeit over a short timeframe, and it's going to take me quite a while to do "damage control", so to speak, on what my absence caused.
(14 PMs. FOURTEEN. Still sorting through them!)

Soyeah, that's why I haven't been updating the game. I'd say I'll be active from now-on, but...well...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, things're going to get worse activity-wise for this game.

One of my uncles died recently, and while I'm not emotionally compromised (the only feeling I feel is sadness for not feeling anything I SHOULD feel), and I'm not flying to Michigan for the funeral (I live in Washington), so I'm not V/LA in any definitive terms, but my mom IS attending, and her departure WILL affect my availability, so sorry that I'm going to be a bit compromised.

Furthermore, I'm still on a sitewide level dealing with the fallout from last week, as you mighta guessed by it taking me so long to get here. I'll do what I can, though. (Hey, I DID say I'm going through a rough patch.) Don't worry; the game WILL continue, as my prior promise to announce any game abandonment still holds; I will not abandon the game without telling you.

Now without further ado......

In post 363, Psyche wrote:look around
It is a small village. It has a population housing around fifty, primarily farmers. There is a well in the center of the town. There is a blacksmith, for forging equipment. There is a weapons shop. There is an armor shop. There is an equipment shop. There is the village elder's hut. There are seventeen houses spread across the village. There is a path leading to the cliffs, directly to your left. There is a path leading to a cave directly ahead of you. To the right, the plains continue, uphill: not a very defendable village, but viable with proper preparations.

The villagers show visible fear at your presence.

ENTER ACTION:
_____

In post 364, McMenno wrote:>Look around
There are three dead guards on the floor. The room contains various documents: pieces of paper, maps, logs, journals, and such. It would appear that this is the location where all the important happenings of things were accounted for and stored.

ENTER ACTION:
_____
I will detail equipment distribution next update.

In post 366, Brian Skies wrote:
Examine and search the room. If this is the map room, look for maps and information regarding people of interest, quests and information of the castle we're in.
You discover a map detailing the known locations to the guards of this castle.

It details that in the outside world to the northwest (emphasis west), there is the village. Continuing northwest, there is a cave, marked as the "Cave of Power". It is located inside an impassible mountain, thus, ending the map in that direction. To the southwest, there is the Cliffs of Doom. An ocean lies to the southeast, ending the map in that direction. The only way to progress is through the plains, which are marked on the map as "not our duty to be concerned about", the lazy bastards. (What can you expect? They are only guards. If they were adventurers, they would not be guards, now, would they?)

Your current location on the map is marked as being "The Castle", which has built into it "Tower of Skies". You also note that the moat is on the castle map.

You find a second map detailing the layout of the castle. It shows that heading down, there is the "Dungeon of Mysteries". The first level is marked as "prison cells". The levels below that are marked with a question mark, with an annotation, "Our ancestors left clues, but we're not smart enough to figure them out." They ARE guards, you know. Above that, going into the Tower of Skies, there is a watchpost, a shop, and an exclamation mark shown. The exclamation mark has a note to "refer to logs".

Deciding this might be a good opportunity to read, you take up a journal.
Warden's log. We have been pressed by bowpoint by the general of an army to hold prisoners, currently being held in some sort of suspended animation. (I'd think that living in a CASTLE, we'd have better defenses, but our 'castle' appears to just be mostly superficial dressing for the tower and dungeon as far as I can tell.) Personally, I don't really care about their alleged nefarious deeds, but it's amazing what the threat of death does to motivate you. Also, apparently the locals also hold a grudge, so
not
holding these people prisoner might foster hostility I very much do not need as the one in control of this facility.
Warden's log.
I have mapped out the areas that, through exploration, I have managed to see, but I can't figure out the riddle for the dungeon, as if it's not meant for me to solve. The Tower of Skies, though, is proving to be a...bit more difficult for me to tackle. Apparently, once the castle ends and the tower proper begins, the floors are in a constant state of flux. Different people will see the same floor in a different way, and that configuration will eventually change for the same person. By conventional means, this will make mapping the tower impossible, but I have an idea...
Warden's log.
Suspicions confirmed. I woke up two of the prisoners from their suspended animation. They appear to hold no memories of their prior lives, so I let them out and told them they were adventurers, and that I had a challenge in mind for them. It would appear that these prisoners share some sort of psychic link, and this seems to create a pattern.

Two normal people entering the tower at the same time will see the same thing, but when entering separately will have different things. Yet through their psychic link, it would appear the tower "remembers" them, even when they have entered separately. It may not be the proper usage of the term, but I have dubbed it eidetic memory: the tower will forget the exact details for people even if they remain similar. However, for these specimen, it seems the psychic link allows the tower to be the same for all of them, allowing for easy traversal. The two subjects see what the other sees, remembers what's there, and can therefore in an extraordinarily short amount of time resume from where they left off. Fascinating.
Warden's log.
Experiment aborted. The two subjects somehow regained knowledge of their prior lives, and decided that while adventuring may be fun,
killing us
would be far more enjoyable. I lost half my staff to their rampage. For some reason, they went down to the dungeon, which I suspect was to wipe the memories clean of the prisoners to ensure that those waking up would not share the same psychic link, severing their tie. I dare not wake a prisoner to test this theory, though. The prisoners ran off, and are presumably on their ways to becoming new warlords.

I'm leaving one of my subordinates in charge. I've done as much as I can to entertain myself, here, and would rather not stick around for this ticking time bomb to go off. I'm not strong enough to become an adventurer capable of besting the dragon in the Cave of Power, but I suppose I might be of use somewhere in the world. Officially, my reason for leaving is to track down the two rogue prisoners, but I sincerely doubt I'd be able to do anything to them, especially if they have managed to build themselves an empire by the time I reach them. I'll continue writing journals of my exploits, but I'm officially leaving my life here behind, including these notes. Who knows, they might help someone.
And then it all comes rushing back to you.

All the memories flood over you, about who you once were. All of you were commanders, generals to a great dark evil warlord, set on world domination. He accumulated so much strength and power that none could defeat him. Then, he decided simply conquering the world was not enough; he would ascend to become a god. Already having vast powers, all he needed was a little bit more. And being an evil warlord, he had absolutely no qualms with sacrificing his own men. In a dark ritual he had you perform, a third of his army was killed, a third of his army was sacrificed, and the final third killed themselves. To complete the ritual, he drained all of his lieutenants--YOU!--of everything they had, power, memories, all but the psychic link connecting you, and wiping you to clean slates, he accomplished his goal in ascending to godhood.

And now knowing where you come from, a strong urge to follow in his footsteps has emerged......

Announcement
Three
of four public win conditions have been revealed!
  • Climb the Tower of Skies and ascend to godhood
    . The tower of skies, literally, goes into the skies
    (thus the name)
    , and extends to heaven. (It is the method most like what you have so far.)
  • Descend the Dungeon of Mysteries
    . It goes down the
    other
    way, but for
    you
    , that still works. (It is also considered the easiest method of victory, albeit one of the least-adventurous.)
  • Crawl the Dungeon of Power and Slay the Mighty Immortal King Dragon Andraxal-Kerlazor
    (Hey, better name than "Smog".)

• The
    fourth
    public wincon is located somewhere in the village.

Well, that is a lot to digest.

ENTER ACTION:
_____

In post 371, AcRv wrote:
Throw one of them over the railing, and then grab the remaining one around the throat, lift him up, and ask him "how are you today?"
Dropping his bow, he nervously (very, very nervously) smiles, laughs a panicked laugh, but eventually manages an answer of, "...Could be better.
(Pleasedon'tkillme.)
"

ENTER ACTION:
_____

Figuring the answer must lie in binary numbers, you shout an answer of "72".

Incorrect

There must be another key.

ENTER ANSWER
_____

I'll give you a hint next update.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:00 pm

Post by Psyche »

We are practically dead and people still fear us.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Post by JDGA »

If we find one wincon, will the game continue so we can find some of the others as well?
Fickle, cold and harsh or caring and warm
Strongly opinionated or barely invested, but a constant
You know the wind will always come back.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

I always knew our slaughter was justified!

In post 387, mastin2 wrote:You discover a map detailing the known locations to the guards of this castle.

Examine the map so I can locate the other guards of the castle and possible a stable.

I'll also wait around to see what loot I gain and try to form a party. Haven't decided if I want to climb the Tower of the Skies or just raze the nearby village.
Last edited by Brian Skies on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Post by N »

In post 388, Psyche wrote:We are practically dead and people still fear us.

they ain't never seen a horse before
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

Or one with arrows sticking out of it.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:09 pm

Post by Psyche »

poor horse
Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Post by Mist7676 »

Go to the shopkeeper to claim a Starer Kit
You Are Worth It
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

In post 387, mastin2 wrote:If they were adventurers, they would not be guards, now, would they?
Well, maybe they used to be adventurers like us...

Aside from that, I don't care that you're calling me not adventurous. I'm clearing this dungeon. Eventually.

McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Post by McMenno »

I vote that we should go up into the Tower of Skies. Godhood sounds
awesome
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

Anyone want to go dragon hunting?
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

I plan on following the group I find most interesting.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:30 am

Post by Brian Skies »

It appears I've misread the function of the map.

Go back to the shopkeeper and ask him when his next shipment arrives.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”