Rock Grass Steel ("Mafia" Win)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 1:42 am

Post by Espeonage »

How did I end up 3rd in score?
Don't @ me.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 2:37 am

Post by mykonian »

stabbing like a maniac? :P

It was a little unfortunate that part of the game was played outside the rules here. Also unfortunate that cephrir randomed on me and talked. Otherwise, I think I can placate thur long enough to get at least close to a 3p endgame, and at that time still with him placing the types the wrong way around. idk, rolling the dice, zzzx and I getting 2 types, thur just one, I think that were decent odds to have. Now that a vote is being made and zzzx's type died randomly, it's kind of obvious "something is up".
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 3:03 am

Post by Felissan »

GG, Hardened Reshiram and Overgrown Forretress!
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 3:18 am

Post by KingdomAces »

Thur, were you aware that Tatsuya was actually the ghost when trying to get me to attack him?

Also, I may have lied when I said that my attack on Cheery Dog was random. That was completely on purpose, though I didn't know it would actually KO. I would be sorry, but I'm still slightly annoyed about round 2.

I still 100% blame the Steel win on DV, which apparently was a no-submission.
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 3:32 am

Post by eyestott »

This base game has given me many ideas for future games.
I assured players that after this, I'd run a Public-Comms-Only game. This will probably be something like 12 players with 3 types, but only 2 lives.

The following will run either after the Public version, or ASAP if not enough interest is gained for the Public version. It will be 12p (or more if demand is higher) with mostly the same rules as this, but with some changes.
Spoiler: RGS 2!
1: If no action is submitted, your type will be randomised, but you will attack yourself. Many of the KOs this game were just pure luck.
2: KO system has changed. To KO a type, 6 damage needs to be done to it in one turn. A supereffective attack will do 6 damage, a normal effectiveness attack will do 2, a not very effective attack will do 1, and an attack with no effect will do 0.
3: You know how in the first 3 gens, moves were physical or special depending on its type (as in all fire moves used special attack, and all normal moves used attack)? Well, thatll kinda come into effect. For the purposes of this, Fairy is included with the Special types.
Special types: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Ice, Dragon, Dark, Psychic, Fairy
Physical types: Normal, Fighting, Flying, Ground, Rock, Steel, Poison, Ghost, Bug
4: To balance the types so that some types arent pretty much useless, One-shot (in most circumstances) abilities have been created for each type. Each one shot is based off of a move from pokemon. Generally, the weaker types will have more useful moves than the stronger types. As an example, Bug, which is a pretty crappy type. It's move will probably be Fell Stinger. If you KO someone with Fell Stinger, your Bug gets +1 damage. For 3 turns. Fell Stinger may be used twice.

I'm also thinking of running a choose your own type game, for WIFOM.

And I've also created the rules for a 1v1 dual version of the game, which could be used as a tie breaker.

If you'd like to play any of these versions, let me know! I'm accepting pre-ins for the first and second ones at the moment, and am always willing to explain and show you a practice game of the duel!
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 9:20 am

Post by DeasVail »

In post 228, KingdomAces wrote:

I still 100% blame the Steel win on DV, which apparently was a no-submission.

I forget whether it was a no-submission, but it was definitely my fault.
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Post by Thurhame »

In post 228, KingdomAces wrote:Thur, were you aware that Tatsuya was actually the ghost when trying to get me to attack him?

No, but I thought it was pretty likely.
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Post by Thurhame »

In post 229, eyestott wrote:2: KO system has changed. To KO a type, 6 damage needs to be done to it in one turn. A supereffective attack will do 6 damage, a normal effectiveness attack will do 2, a not very effective attack will do 1, and an attack with no effect will do 0.

Exactly what I was going to suggest, except I'd keep the STAB bonus for two people attacking the same target with the same type. (So two normal attacks of the same type would still KO, and two NVE attacks of the same type would do a combined 3 damage.)

I also have another suggestion to go along with it: allow the damage to be dealt over
consecutive
rounds instead of just one round. As it is, the game is practically guaranteed to end in a stalemate, forcing you to use that flip-a-coin tiebreaker method. With this addition, the game will pretty much always run to conclusion; and if it does "stalemate" it's probably a natural tie that can be left alone. As an added bonus, it provides incentive for players to rotate their types, but I think that's secondary to the stalemate prevention aspect.

Final suggestion: Provide some information from flips for those people who don't have the time and stamina to constantly talk to nearly everyone the way I did. At the very least, reveal who got KO'd (a la Mafia flips). I think it would be more interesting, though, to reveal everyone's moves (a la Diplomacy or RAF), keeping only the types secret.
If you run a no-private-communication game, the above suggestion goes double.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Post by eyestott »

In post 232, Thurhame wrote:Exactly what I was going to suggest, except I'd keep the STAB bonus for two people attacking the same target with the same type. (So two normal attacks of the same type would still KO, and two NVE attacks of the same type would do a combined 3 damage.)

Hmm, maybe, although it might not fit with other mechanics (that ill post when i make the game thread).
In post 232, Thurhame wrote:I also have another suggestion to go along with it: allow the damage to be dealt over consecutive rounds instead of just one round. As it is, the game is practically guaranteed to end in a stalemate, forcing you to use that flip-a-coin tiebreaker method. With this addition, the game will pretty much always run to conclusion; and if it does "stalemate" it's probably a natural tie that can be left alone. As an added bonus, it provides incentive for players to rotate their types, but I think that's secondary to the stalemate prevention aspect.

Thats a good idea, though if i implemented it, each type would need more hp to start with, and would need to be informed of how much damage theyve taken.
The flip-a-coin tiebreaker thing can be avoided by doing the duel thing i suggested. Ive tested it, and its pretty good, and isnt purely luck, mainly skill in fact.
In post 232, Thurhame wrote:Final suggestion: Provide some information from flips for those people who don't have the time and stamina to constantly talk to nearly everyone the way I did. At the very least, reveal who got KO'd (a la Mafia flips). I think it would be more interesting, though, to reveal everyone's moves (a la Diplomacy or RAF), keeping only the types secret.
If you run a no-private-communication game, the above suggestion goes double.

I think that in a no PM game, revealing moves and KOs should happen. I would be willing to do that addition in a future game (after the rebalanced one)
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 7:06 am

Post by Narninian »

In post 232, Thurhame wrote:I also have another suggestion to go along with it: allow the damage to be dealt over consecutive rounds instead of just one round. As it is, the game is practically guaranteed to end in a stalemate, forcing you to use that flip-a-coin tiebreaker method. With this addition, the game will pretty much always run to conclusion; and if it does "stalemate" it's probably a natural tie that can be left alone. As an added bonus, it provides incentive for players to rotate their types, but I think that's secondary to the stalemate prevention aspect.

Thats a good idea, though if i implemented it, each type would need more hp to start with, and would need to be informed of how much damage theyve taken.
The flip-a-coin tiebreaker thing can be avoided by doing the duel thing i suggested. Ive tested it, and its pretty good, and isnt purely luck, mainly skill in fact.

Another thought along this line is a mixture of the 2 mechanics.
Let damage be consecutive, but also be healed depending on how many pokemon remain (early game it could be a 'full' heal, with fewer hitpoints heal as pokemon are eliminated, this prevents the stalemate but also keeps the game working similarly early)
The extra in is for /in
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 11:05 pm

Post by eyestott »

In post 234, Narninian wrote:

Another thought along this line is a mixture of the 2 mechanics.
Let damage be consecutive, but also be healed depending on how many pokemon remain (early game it could be a 'full' heal, with fewer hitpoints heal as pokemon are eliminated, this prevents the stalemate but also keeps the game working similarly early)

Thats a good idea too. Ill probably figure out how to implement it for a game after the one i have planned, as it would make some things not work.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Post by eyestott »

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”