Netrunner Introduction Tournament

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

WOOOOHOOOOOOO

Champion and page top!
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Post by mykonian »

indeed, FA shares runner games with MTD, taking her a point above the rest!
Last edited by mykonian on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Leonshade
Leonshade
Mafia Scum
Leonshade
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Post by Leonshade »

Congratulations, FA!
"I still cant believe Leonshade just talked his way out of getting lynched by posting Lion King gifs"
- Vecna
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:03 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Thx

mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:23 am

Post by mykonian »

I caught some games and spectated them, decided to have some fun and see if I could cast them a bit. My apologies for the sound quality. Last two games are the final.

Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:44 pm

Post by Zorblag »

It no matters for the winner of the tournament, but Troll and Killthestory have played our games. Killthestory won both. Troll thanks much for the games! Them were most fun!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Post by mykonian »

It's a shame I didn't get to see your games Zorblag, never was opportune. I think you were the only one who dared to build a noise deck, which would have been cool to watch!
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Well, Troll was learning it as we went. This last game Troll finally got to do some things with it that were fun! Troll actually managed to get 5 agenda points that time through.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:33 am

Post by MTD »

Thanks for organizing this myko, was a really fun way to start getting into the game!
still the same old MTD
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:49 am

Post by Zorblag »

Troll agrees! It was fun to dip a toe in. Troll thinks that this one be the sort of game that Troll should probably play in person with someone else learning it to get ramped up rather than online, but seeing what the decks were like and the flow of play was good fun. There was frustration in either not getting economy cards or icebreakers as the runner (it seemed like each game Troll got one or the other, so Troll clearly needs to get some more ways to search R&D in Troll's deck or something,) but Troll suspects that just comes with the territory of this sort of game.

Big thanks to Mykonian!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Post by mykonian »

<3

So, deadline has passed now, the tournament is over. We got our winner, but indeed I hope MTD is not the only one who got into the game and I hope many of you will continue. The prospect of 4 deluxe sets of cards and just as many cycles to get up to speed may seem daunting, but this is where the design of netrunner helps you a bit. Designed as a living card game, but with balance in mind, the developers put nearly every defining card (read as strong) in the core set. The astroscript pilot program, the account siphon, the data raven or datasucker, they make the factions to what they are and to set everyone apart these are the real powercards. In all of the rest of the cards, I can only really point at 4 more of cards at a similar level, who changed the factions, or even the game, when they came out. Not that they became mandatory, but they opened up playstyles on their own. Cards to take note off would be Caprice Nisei, Self Modifying code and Clone chip (who help create some strategies, not mandatory, but cards that could solve certain problems for you), but most importantly Jackson Howard.

There's netrunner before Jackson came out, and after. He's not real power, but he's a swiss army knife of corp consistence, recently there've been more cards printed which are somewhat similar, but otherwise this card does it all. It's not broken in the sense that it will win you games, but otoh there's barely a strategy out there that Jackson would not help make better or reduce the risks of bad draw for. Nearly every corp deck has 3 copies of this card in it and it didn't change any strategies that you haven't seen from core games, but it did change the tempo of the game of netrunner. A card to consider then.

Nearly all of the other cards are essentially supportive. They help you make your deck unique, do something slightly more the way you'd like it, but few really change the game in a sweeping way. The game you've learned with core+genesis is the game you'd play with the whole card set, same strategies still get played, but how they match up have changed through time.

Which leaves one slightly annoying thing: For the longest time Netrunner tried to do without a ban list. And nearly entirely, they managed. Only astroscript pilot program has gone to a max of 1 per deck, to create design space. Otherwise, there's a system they set in place, called the NAPD Most Wanted List. Cards from this list reduce the influence on your characters card by one for each copy, to a minimum of 1 (to make a certain ID still playable, the exception is mostly for him). In practice this means that these cards cost you an influence, even if they are in your own faction. This has given the designer a dial to turn for the existing cardpool, but it makes the deckbuilding rules slightly more difficult. Otoh, the online deckbuilders keep track of this for you,

I think that was all. Ty for participating and I hope you'll enjoy this game for a long time to come!
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:12 pm

Post by MTD »

Ha!
still the same old MTD
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:43 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Thx myko this was so fun :]

Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:26 pm

Post by Patrick »

Zorblag wrote:There was frustration in either not getting economy cards or icebreakers as the runner (it seemed like each game Troll got one or the other, so Troll clearly needs to get some more ways to search R&D in Troll's deck or something,)
This is a noise/anarch weakness to an extent, even with modern cards. They have no ways to search up icebreakers in-faction, and often don't have the influence to import them. Shapers are probably the most robust faction in terms of deck consistency and finding key pieces, but don't have sheer destructive power of anarchs. Their two cards given by myko in his last post are a big part of why.

Myko did a good thing here :D
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”