Scummies Ideas, Suggestions and Comments Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Post by wgeurts »

Then what happens if a group of people work together?
Should they get disregarded? Or who'll get the credit?
I'd support a group nomination for this one or a possible seperate wiki scummie. Why would it be hard to look at a groups work?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:01 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Because it's a body of work award. And, for example, in that group, you did setup stuff as well... but then, the judges can't really consider that, because it's a group nomination. So then they'd have to consider you separately anyway. Or, diginova has done a ton of work on the graphics/art/layout for the cards that are being made... but, the others of you didn't, so that'd have to be separated as well.

A group of people can work together, sure. But they would all need to be considered individually, with the group contributions being factored into other individual contributions. It's like our Paragon of Mafia Hunters or Don Corleone award... a hydra can technically be nominated, but then ONLY games played in the hydra will be considered. Conversely, if a solo person is nominated, and they had a few games they played as a hydra, their solo games PLUS the games in the hydra would be considered.

We
just
rolled the wiki portion of Professor Mafia into Community Contributor and changed the Professor Mafia scope. Contributing to the wiki is contributing to the site, there's no need for a separate award.
green shirt thursdays
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:23 pm

Post by wgeurts »

I understand your reasoning and after further thought a seperate scummie would be dumb. What could possibly be done is group nominations are allowed however as you said you'll only get reviewed for that. In this case redoing the wiki.
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Post by diginova »

You can't nom yourself anyway, so why does it matter? I don't care about getting a Scummy, I'm doing it because I want to do it.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:40 am

Post by wgeurts »

In post 528, diginova wrote:You can't nom yourself anyway, so why does it matter? I don't care about getting a Scummy, I'm doing it because I want to do it.

You can actually though it's frowned upon. Also, although you're not doing it for a scummie (and that's the right attitude) I'm nominating you for your work. I had already been nominated for wiki changes however you and molla are also both putting a lot of work into it. Hence I nominated you two for the same thing as me.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:42 am

Post by wgeurts »

It's more me wanting to give you some credit for your work, I'm not trying to gain some award either.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

Spoiler: Did a wizard do it?
To be clear: quack
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Post by bji »

My apologies if this has been mentioned before. I did not read all 22 pages of this topic to see if it had.

I am a complete newbie in my first game. One thing that has been discussed is the "meta" of some players, that is to say, their known play tendencies (to other players who have played with them before, or have gone and looked up their prior games and read up on them).

I find this concept really counter to the spirit of the game. I would expect that information about how a player played in previous games should ideally not be knowable in future games. This is for two reasons: a) it doesn't put everyone on equal footing at the outset of the game. Some players will know each other and how they play. Others will not have this same information. And b) it leads to players trying to establish a certain meta which would unnaturally affect their play in the current game (i.e. being brash all of the time because that's the meta they're trying to establish). This could make for suboptimal game play in a current game in order to try to have better success in future games due to that established meta.

What I think would be ideal is if the site could assign random names and pictures to each player at the outset of the game. And for there to be a rule that players are not allowed to reveal their actual identity or their identity as it was known in any prior game, in the current game. Then at the end of the game everyone's "true names" (i.e. true login names) would be revealed.

Maybe some players like to play with meta, and so maybe this could just be a game mode that you could choose to play in if you wanted to.

The alternative is for players to create new accounts every time they want to play a new game, which seems wasteful of time and resources.

Thanks for listening!

EDIT: Oh sorry I just realized that this is in the wrong forum. I had misread the title and thought that this thread was all about "Ideas, Suggestions and Comments" for the site itself. Is there a better forum in which to have made my suggestion? If so please let me know and/or just move this post there. Thank you and sorry about that!
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Post by N »

I think you would be best to just create a new thread in Mafia Discussion and see if you can get anyone to create a game like that. Alt games get run every now and then, but the fact that people have to change accounts to post can mean some people just don't bother unless they're prodded.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
displaced
displaced
Goon
displaced
Goon
Goon

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:06 am

Post by displaced »

Couldnt we have a "Jack of all trades" award for the player who plays all alignments well?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:06 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I feel such an award would diminish the value of our current "big" solo awards.
green shirt thursdays
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:20 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 534, displaced wrote:Couldnt we have a "Jack of all trades" award for the player who plays all alignments well?

In post 535, xRECKONERx wrote:I feel such an award would diminish the value of our current "big" solo awards.

Maybe instead of alignment, it could go to the player who's best at using a variety of PR's.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:56 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 534, displaced wrote:Couldnt we have a "Jack of all trades" award for the player who plays all alignments well?

veto
Zymf
Zymf
Goon
Zymf
Goon
Goon

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:17 am

Post by Zymf »

I really don't like having to look at the "Announcements" is every sub-forum :/ (I don't know if that can be changes)
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:27 am

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 538, Zymf wrote:I really don't like having to look at the "Announcements" is every sub-forum :/ (I don't know if that can be changes)

To be fair, the number of announcement stickies is a little larger than it usually is (afaik I think this may be the greatest number of simultaneous announcement stickies that I've ever seen at my time on the site). We're kind of adjusting to a lot of transitioning in administration/moderation. I'd suspect it'll go back down to 2 or 3 in the next couple of months.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:56 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i agree w/ plexar
green shirt thursdays
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:10 pm

Post by wgeurts »

In post 540, xRECKONERx wrote:i agree w/ plexar

Have you been hacked, that's like the 5th post with this in a row?
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:59 pm

Post by Psyche »

it's his sense of humor
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:48 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

ya sry i got hacked :'(
green shirt thursdays
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:15 am

Post by Scummies »

So, now that the 2014 scummies are done any suggestions/improvements/critique is welcomed so we can try and improve for next year.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 am

Post by quadz08 »

include plexar in next year's ceremony
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:49 am

Post by saulres »

In post 78, saulres wrote:Runner-up banners?

*runs*
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Post by saulres »

Actually, why
not
"Scummie Nominated" for the finalists? Maybe not a banner but an alternate/additional title?
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

The "Best Town" Award

Disclaimer: I haven't read through 22 pages so if this has already been discussed, please just point me to the specific page where discussion commenced.

I feel that overall, it doesn't make sense as an award category because unlike "Best scumteam," the individual performances of the players in the town matter very little. For instance someone could be having a below-average game and yet the town that they are in wins the award and everyone in it gets a scummy.

This causes:

Devaluation of the scummy: The scummy is a valuable award and a source of pride for the holder and the community. When you award it to a whole group of people without even considering their individual effort, it could lead to undeserving recipients receiving the award. The other recipients of other awards would be on the same level as the "Best Town" category for the purposes of Scummies Invitationals etc. This leads to a lowering of value of what having a scummy means and turns it from something to be earned to something that can be had purely due to the luck of the draw. Also, the choices this year for "Best Town" were very, very limited.

== Counterplan ==

I propose awarding an individual award for best performance in a town victory. This would be distinct from the Best Mafia Catcher award as the latter is a Body-of-Work award while my proposal involves someone who performed best in a town win. It essentially means we have a "Best town" category. And in the category, after the best town win has been selected, the judges then select one person who was most instrumental in the win to be given that award.

Thoughts?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Post by Psyche »

not distinct enough
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm

Return to “Mafia Discussion”