Micro 650: Mislead 2: A Maze of our Own Devising (Restarted)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Micro 650: Mislead 2: A Maze of our Own Devising (Restarted)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Mislead 2: A Maze of our Own Devising

Moderator:
callforjudgement
Backup Moderator:
Sméagol
Playtested by:
podoboq
Based on an idea by:
FakeGod

This game was restarted. See here for gameplay after the restart.

Player list

Not_Mafia
Realeo
Imperium (Nachomamma8 + Tammy)
Infinity 324
Peptobislawl
NJAC
reso
Vedith
Tenshii

Alive
players can post and vote, and must attempt the day's section every evening. If a
Maze Engineer
is alive at the end of the game, their faction wins.
Spoiler: Alive players
Not_Mafia
Realeo
Imperium (Nachomamma8 + Tammy)
Infinity 324
Peptobislawl
NJAC
reso
Vedith
Tenshii

Trapped
players can post, but cannot vote, cannot attempt sections, and do not directly contribute to their faction's win condition. They die after their section is attempted.
Spoiler: Trapped players

Dead
players can no longer participate in their game. They still win with the rest of their faction, but no longer have an ability to influence the result
Spoiler: Dead players

Quick links to posts:
Last edited by callforjudgement on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:21 pm

This game uses relatively normal rules for activity and fair play; there shouldn't be anything there that you're unaware of. See Callforjudgement's Standard Rules if you want details. However, this game does not use a normal day/night cycle, and
there are no normal lynches or nightkills
; thus much of section B of those rules does not apply.

For things that vary from game to game, here's the guide:

Factions
: 7
Maze Engineers
(town-equivalent) and 2
Maze Guardians
(mafia-equivalent)
Phase sequence
:
Nonstandard
, see below
Deadlines
: 240 hours for morning phases; 96 hours for evening phases
Prod timers
: 72+24 (first prod), 48+24 (second prod), 48+0 (subsequently)
Voting method
: Plurality
Daytalk
: Yes, non-dead
Maze Guardians
have private communication during every phase.
Action limits
: This game does not use night actions.

Setup and rule information
:

In this game, you are trapped in a maze, formed of nine
segments
; one created by each player. Each segment contains two paths, one safe, one dangerous. The game ends once all nine segments have been attempted (or as soon as the result becomes inevitable, i.e. one faction has a guaranteed strategy to win).

The
Maze Guardians
are trying to protect the maze they created, hoping for the death of everyone who enters it. They win if all nine players die.
The
Maze Engineers
don't care about the maze as much, and are hoping for survival. They win if anyone survives.

Gameplay will alternate between
morning
and
evening
phases (which both follow similar rules to day phases). In the morning, players collectively vote whose segment they wish to attempt. This vote will use standard plurality voting rules with a hammer (i.e. if more than half the players are voting for the same segment, the morning will end immediately; otherwise the segment at the top of the vote count will be selected at the end of the morning phase). In the evening, each player individually chooses a strategy for attempting the segment, posting their choice in
bold
in the game thread. The evening phase ends once everyone has chosen a strategy; if a player has not chosen a strategy by deadline, they will
Follow
by default. Here are the possible strategies:

Options for strategies
  • Follow
    (synonym
    Trust
    ) the player who created the segment, along the same path they use. If you do this, you will survive if that player is a
    Maze Engineer
    , or become
    trapped
    if that player is a
    Maze Guardian
    . For obvious reasons, when attempting your own segment, you must follow yourself (and may not distrust yourself or flee).
  • Distrust
    the player who created the segment, taking the alternative path. If you do this, you will survive if that player is a
    Maze Guardian
    , or become
    trapped
    if that player is a
    Maze Engineer
  • Flee
    the segment, taking neither path. This guarantees you survive the segment, but this requires expending resources, and as such you may only do this once in the entire game.

Dangerous paths are deadly, but not always immediately deadly; making the wrong choice in the evening causes you to become
trapped
. In this state, you can still post in-thread in an attempt to give advice (or misleading advice!) to your fellow players, and can still use your factional communication if you are a
Maze Guardian
, but cannot take part in the game in other ways: you cannot vote on a segment, and cannot make evening choices. Additionally, if you become trapped after your segment was attempted, or an attempt on your segment is completed while you are trapped, you will die (within the game; I don't kill players in real life) and not be able to take further part in the game. As all nine segments must be completed as part of the game, trapped players are therefore doomed and guaranteed to die at some point. It's a pretty deadly maze. Additionally, because
Maze Guardians
necessarily follow themselves into danger, they will necessarily be trapped at the latest when their segment is attempted (they may also choose to trap themselves earlier in order to mislead the town into thinking they are innocent). This guarantees that each
Maze Guardian
will die at some point during the game. The question is, can they take all the
Maze Engineers
with them?

Spoiler: Sample role PMs
Maze GuardianYou are a
Maze Guardian
, trying to protect the legacy of the maze. As such,
you win if nobody escapes
, i.e. all nine players die (within the game) by the end of the ninth segment.

When you attempt your own segment,
you will lead the other players down a dangerous path
. As such, you will become
trapped
, as will every player who
Follows
you.
When attempting another player's segment, you have three options:
Follow
(or
Trust
),
Distrust
, or (once per game)
Flee
. See the game thread for more details.

You know that … is also a
Maze Guardian
. You may communicate with them privately
here
as long as you are alive or trapped.

Please confirm by replying to this PM with a summary of your win condition. If you are at all unsure about how your role works or how this game works, it is best to ask questions during confirmation (although I will also answer any questions you have later).

Additionally, you may optionally also include a description of what your segment of the maze is like (of the segment overall, of the two paths that exist within the segment, or both) in your confirmation response. If you do, I will try to work the descriptions into the game's flavour. Note that any flavour will have no impact on the game; as such, the identity of the safe path will always be chosen at random.

Maze EngineerYou are a
Maze Engineer
; you were paid to help construct the maze, but don't particularly care about its legacy. As such,
you win if anybody escapes
, i.e. at least one
Maze Engineer
(yourself and/or anyone else in your faction) is still alive by the end of the ninth segment.

When you attempt your own segment,
you will lead the other players down the safe path
. Any player who
Distrusts
you will become
trapped
When attempting another player's segment, you have three options:
Follow
(or
Trust
),
Distrust
, or (once per game)
Flee
. See the game thread for more details.

Please confirm by replying to this PM with a summary of your win condition. If you are at all unsure about how your role works or how this game works, it is best to ask questions during confirmation (although I will also answer any questions you have later).

Additionally, you may optionally also include a description of what your segment of the maze is like (of the segment overall, of the two paths that exist within the segment, or both) in your confirmation response. If you do, I will try to work the descriptions into the game's flavour. Note that any flavour will have no impact on the game; as such, the identity of the safe path will always be chosen at random.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Note: this game's flavour is intended for entertainment purposes and does not contain any hints about the game itself. Whenever a flavour element is potentially relevant to gameplay, such as the safe path in a section, it will be randomized.

The maze had been finished, and its opening ceremony was winding up. The maze's owner, a somewhat eccentric and stooped old man, walked slowly along the exit path that linked the centre to the outside world. Behind him, the maze's designers and engineers, the nine of them that were left, walked equally slowly in formation.

They were walking slowly for a reason. The maze was a marvel of engineering, designed to resist all the usual solution techniques. So far, nobody had entered the finished maze, but its future victims would find that as they ran through corridors tracing out paths, the maze would shift beneath their feet, changing according to only a complex pattern that only its designers knew. There were traps and triggers everywhere, and even the exit path, in its apparently smooth and gold-plated splendour, could trap the unwary at the final hurdle. Every now and then, someone would step out of line for a moment just before a burst of flame shot up from the floor, or a swinging axe blade came down from the ceiling. And those, of course, were only the most obvious traps.

As they neared the exit, they stopped. Partly to have one last look at the maze in its completed state, before it was reset. Partly because they all knew this was the most dangerous section. The world outside was in view, but there was one last trap that they had to avoid.

The owner addressed them, giving a last, short speech. This maze was not just a marvel, he said. It was also made for a purpose, something
important
. It was vital. And most importantly, nobody else could know the route through!

And with those words, he started again, aiming for the exit with surprising speed. Perhaps he couldn't run as fast as the maze's builders, but it was fast enough, especially when the only people in a position to stop him were stunned with surprise. Everyone knew what would happen, but they had no chance to react in time; and as the owner disappeared past the threshold of the maze, the exit path rapidly rotated sideways and broke apart, with the pieces scattering to the corners of the maze.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:25 pm

With 8 of 9 players confirmed, the game has started! (The ninth player has since also confirmed.)

They might have been scattered, but they'd spent years in the maze already. Even though the maze's builders were unfamiliar with each others' sections, they knew the common passages linking them together all too well, having spent so much time going back and forth while gathering materials or helping to connect up the mechanisms underneath the maze. So it would not be too hard to at least form a group to discuss their next move. They needed to find a common location to get to, but a hub near the centre where every path met was an obvious choice.

Still, the question of where to go from there was a tricky one. They'd made sure that no one person knew the entire solution via building their sections independently, so they'd need to work together. But there'd been plenty of mysteries in the maze even while it was being built. One engineer had tried to guard their section with live tigers; when they were eaten by a tiger, nobody was much surprised, and the section was subsequently walled off and removed from the solution of the maze. But several deaths were less easily explained. An engineer had been stabbed to death by a paperclip, and it's not likely that the paperclip did it itself. Another had apparently drowned in an inch of water. And given that the engineers who died were the ones who worked on the mechanism, and knew most about how the maze was solved, it seemed likely in retrospect that the task of eliminating those who knew too much had started early.

So once everyone met up, there was a lot of tension, and uncertainty about where to go first. They would have to rely on each other to plot a path through. But who could they trust?

Vote Count
Available sections
(0 votes each): Not_Mafia, Realeo, Imperium, Infinity 324, Peptobislawl, NJAC, reso, Vedith, Tenshii

Not voting
(9): Not_Mafia, Realeo, Imperium, Infinity 324, Peptobislawl, NJAC, reso, Vedith, Tenshii

Vote for a section to attempt. With 9 players alive, 5 votes are enough to select a section.

Deadline is Sunday 16 October at 12:15 UTC (
automatic countdown: (expired on 2016-10-16 12:15:00)
)
Last edited by callforjudgement on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
scum
town
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:28 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

What's up

VOTE: realeo
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Vedith
Vedith
Survivor
Vedith
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:07 am

Post by Vedith »

VOTE: Infinity

{RVS comment}
I claim scum \o/
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:50 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Slide to the left, slide to the right, criss cross, criss cross
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

VOTE: vedith

For voting obvtown
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:08 am

Post by Realeo »

In post 4, Infinity 324 wrote:What's up

What is this vote? That's lek the most lazy RVS vote evah.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

I'm mabye a serious player, but I'm capable of joke. Ok?
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:13 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Realeo is scum, vote and distrust

I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:15 am

Post by Realeo »

Hi Not_Mafia!
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:15 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Hi scum
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:18 am

Post by Realeo »

In post 6, Not_Mafia wrote:Slide to the left, slide to the right, criss cross, criss cross
Some advanced version of Tinder?

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:02 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

How is it a lazy RVS? Do you have to give a reason for RVS?

n_m, why so quick to say who to distrust?
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Peptobislawl
Peptobislawl
Goon
Peptobislawl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:03 am

Post by Peptobislawl »

VOTE: inpernium

He hasen't posted yet, ovescum
Show
Will protect people not in the game

"I'm with the insane cop" -Pepto 2015

References games from other sites in his sig
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:07 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 8, Realeo wrote:

This post is a scumclaim
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:11 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 15, Not_Mafia wrote:
In post 8, Realeo wrote:

This post is a scumclaim

I agree it's scummy

I disagree it's a scumclaim. I don't see how you can't imagine an existence where town could make that post.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:34 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

By the way, cfj, great job with this setup. I love how well the flavor fits the gameplay.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Vedith
Vedith
Survivor
Vedith
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:36 am

Post by Vedith »

realeo seems awkward with his posting from what I've experienced, keep in mind my personal experience with him is only us as scum buddies.
I can see scum trying to push him early on, and later in the game if he's town.
I claim scum \o/
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:43 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

What makes you think his awkardness doesn't come from him being scum and instead is a universal trait he has?
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Vedith
Vedith
Survivor
Vedith
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:16 am

Post by Vedith »

Why do you I assume I think he's town for it?
I said that he is awkward from what I've experienced and said he was scum.
I claim scum \o/
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:22 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

The way you wrote it seemed to imply that realeo was always awkward as opposed to just awkward as scum.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Vedith
Vedith
Survivor
Vedith
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:25 am

Post by Vedith »

No, my only experience is as him scum. However, as I was also scum he seemed the same in the PT where normally people would act a bit more than themselves if it was just a scum trait imo (which I believe you took over for on my slot).
I am saying though if he is town I can see scum using this as an excuse early on.
I claim scum \o/
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:38 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Ok, makes sense. And yeah I think it's easy for scum to jump on awkward posters, I do that when I'm scum at least.

But I also think realeo's post needs an explanation.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

NJAC
NJAC
He/His/Him
Mafia Scum
NJAC
He/His/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum