Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

STEVEN UNIVERSE 2: SPECTATOR THREAD

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Welcome to the Spectator PT for Steven Universe 2.
Feel free to chat here at any time.
Members currently include:

ErrantParabola
Last edited by Varsoon on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

thoughts

i'm guessing that the peridot role is going to be interesting, because there's probably a good game-related reason to have her not a member of the crystal gems when you have the rubies from hit the diamond (and jasper) as the scumteam

going in, i think if i were a member of the scumteam, i'd mainly fear mastin here. i haven't really played mafia in a long time (here and there) so i'm unfamiliar with a lot of this playerlist. but i'm definitely rooting for the scum here, and definitely hoping that RR do some great things.

and wow, those crystal gems have a lot of reading to do. i guess i should also read that at some point. and i see yume got steven, lol
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

oh wow. scumteam have reading to do as well. and dgb is a traitor? good shit, good shit

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

skimming role pm thoughts (i'll read in more detail later):

okay, so as soon as i see that there are word counts for everyone's role pm, i'm assuming that some crazy shit is going to go down.

jasper: it took me so long to realize why there were two role pms under the jasper spoiler. and then i realized fakeclaims. good shit. these fakeclaims are really good

eyeball: that pearl account thing is awesome, hopefully skybird can do some cool stuff with that.

doc: i really like the time travel thing. knowing rr, they're gonna be able to use that to their advantage.

army: the beachapalooza event is insane. wow. your creativity continues to blow my mind, man. wonder what your reviewers think when reviewing your setups

navy: historical fiction is also interesting. i like how scumteam's powers can swing either way, which i guess ties into the anti-flavor-breaking thing (as in scum powers are also believably town powers to make fakeclaims super solid)

steven: so basically, steven's dream power allows him to confirm player identity or role identity. cool. overall crystal gems being able fuse specifically and also the alternate accounts thing. insane

pearl: nice alt account password. also word count and abilities count thing. like actually how do you think of this stuff?!?!

i think i have to stop now. this is so much to process. you are actually a creative genius.

--implosion
provided
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:38 pm

Post by Varsoon »

<3
Glad you're enjoying it so far.
I'm about to grab some food but I'll respond more fully when I get back.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:41 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Also, ayyyy, no posting in the dead thread, as regular posting rules do apply.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

yeah. sorry about that.

--implosion
provided
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:17 pm

Post by Varsoon »

It's all good. I considered allowing spectators to post there but the chances of them slipping is too high. :P
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Although, mmmmm, now that I think of it:
So long as you do not post about any of the game knowledge you have, you can post there.
basically: if you want to discuss SPOILERS and stuff, come here.
Otherwise, feel free to post there.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:12 pm

Post by Varsoon »

i'm guessing that the peridot role is going to be interesting, because there's probably a good game-related reason to have her not a member of the crystal gems when you have the rubies from hit the diamond (and jasper) as the scumteam
I wanted to give Peridot agency to join up with the Crystal Gems/Town instead of just staying as a Third Party Survivor. It also highlights how Peridot functioned within the show--she only joined the CG's after awhile when she realized she wanted to. In this game, Peridot can avoid ever joining them, providing for a different series of events. Mechanics-wise, she needs to keep a low profile early on, though, which is the idea.
then i realized fakeclaims. good shit. these fakeclaims are really good
Yeah, these are probably the best fake-claims I've made for a themed game so far.
that pearl account thing is awesome, hopefully skybird can do some cool stuff with that.
It'd be great. :D I want it to come into effect.
wonder what your reviewers think when reviewing your setups
Literally said, "I hope you know what you're doing with the Baseball Event because I'm not even reading that."
i like how scumteam's powers can swing either way, which i guess ties into the anti-flavor-breaking thing
Yeah, I tried to give them events tied to their fake-claim flavor that could still maaaaaybe have something to do with their normal flavor. Effect wise, all the events tend to be less out-right town-sided or scum-sided.
like actually how do you think of this stuff?!?!
My process usually involves trying to distill something core about the theme into a public mechanic, then designing all the roles to interact with the public mechanic in the flavorful ways that they do in the source-theme.
I also try my hardest to make roles have good verisimilitude. I want the player playing as Pearl to feel as though they are embodying Pearl through their role, rather than just playing Mafia with a theme tagged on it. So I try to come up with unique mechanics that reflect a character's ethos and give the player the same sort of approach to the game that the character might have in the theme.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 10, Varsoon wrote:My process usually involves trying to distill something core about the theme into a public mechanic, then designing all the roles to interact with the public mechanic in the flavorful ways that they do in the source-theme.
I also try my hardest to make roles have good verisimilitude. I want the player playing as Pearl to feel as though they are embodying Pearl through their role, rather than just playing Mafia with a theme tagged on it. So I try to come up with unique mechanics that reflect a character's ethos and give the player the same sort of approach to the game that the character might have in the theme.
yeah i can see how this mentality plays into the design of your setups (especially this one)
i'm only about 40% done with reading all of the mechanics and roles in the setup right now, and honestly it's probably going to take me a few days or even weeks to work out optimal strategies and interactions. masterpiece.

and i read the baseball event. goddamn mind boggling.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

looking at the page count of the game and thanking every god i know that i didn't sign up for this game
(i mean, it would be great fun but i just have so little time...)

--implosion
provided
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:06 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Yeah, das the thing about large games.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:40 am

Post by Varsoon »

It took three hours straight working to get all the alliance PTs up and resolved. At one point, I have over 50 tabs open on Google Chrome.

Also, Firebringer bringing the heat:
In post 6, Firebringer wrote:I kind of have townleans on all of you except SirCakez
So, yeah not too worried about 80% of the hood.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:26 am

Post by Errantparabola »

i'd imagine... like, the su minitheme was crazy enough.
i finished reading the setup. now i just need to read the posts.

it's bad enough that somehow i got roped into replacing into a game. how do these things happen???

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:56 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 5, Shiro wrote:Btw sky is totes connie. I can predict her event being linked to the recent episode they fused.

Yes I am making flavour assumption varsoon, what ya gonna do about it?
when shiro is aware that you specifically designed the game to work against flavor-based assumptions, does it anyway, and gets hardcore blindsided

--implosion
provided
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:36 am

Post by Varsoon »

Yup and yup.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:36 am

Post by Varsoon »

Mastin is also incredibly spot-on with hard scum reads on SirCakez and Reasonably Rational.
I'm expecting Yume to use their bodyguard/protect to keep Mastin alive, but I wonder if scum'll be able to get off a strongman tonight.
Right now, though, I'm thinking today is likely to end in a mislynch. It looks like a good 2 members (at least) of the scumteam will be lynched within the next 5 days, so I wonder if they'll stabilize with their Events. Hmmmm.
Regardless, I hope this turns out to be a real struggle rather than a stomp one way or the other.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:40 am

Post by Varsoon »

Oh, whoops. My bad. There's two scum there, but it's SirCakez and Cooldog, not SirCakez and RR.
Welp.
Looks like RR might end up getting off the hook for awhile after all. Their deflects are too apparent to me, though.
It seems like CooLDoG is going to become another hot mislynch target if this stays the course, too. He often is in my games, especially when he uses his role powers in a way that backfires--that's not a thing likely to happen here, but consensus on CooLDoG is wavering more and more towards scum and he keeps pushing town wagons here as well.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:05 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Oh, nevermind, maybe mastin and firebringer will double down on an RR lynch after all.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:17 am

Post by Varsoon »

I will say--I am thoroughly confused by the KTS and Yume bussing.
They are part of the same survivor-masonry. It doesn't seem like your run of the mill distancing either.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

genius plan
instead of actually reading the game thread i'm just gonna read all of the alliance threads
that should maybe give me a decent idea of what's going on

nice steven universe drawing in the mod topic by mastin. that's true art.
quality blog post too.

i'll probably read your iso in the game too so i can see what crazy events have triggered

--implosion
provided
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Post by Varsoon »

D1 and 2 have been very interesting so far. I think it's worth following if only to see how different players are handling things.
Farside and Xkfyu have been playing their roles very well, imo.
It's neat to see the scum team stabilizing after an early lynch, too.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Post by Varsoon »

These scumreads on Mathblade don't make any sense to me.
I could see wanting to vote for CooLDoG given the circumstances of his engagement with the game, but Mathblade's content is so town that I physically reel when people talk about how they're scumreading Math on his posts alone.

Return to “Completed Game Topics”