Has anyone played Among Us?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:15 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

I have played it a few times. It's been a lot of fun. My main concerns, on hearing the main premise, were of being able to break the game by staying together and having to play most of the game while muted not being fun.

Staying together breaks the game in principle (mostly-- sabotages can force players to split up), but it's boring, and people in my group fortunately haven't been taking the game seriously to develop game-breaking meta. This is, I suspect, true of most groups, though the replay value of the game might diminish once more people start to figure out that playing boring gives you a better chance of winning. But on the plus side, the game has a lot of customizable settings, and it's likely that some combination can be used to break whatever meta a group has developed.

As for not being able to talk in voice chat, well, I think that's a blessing in disguise, because it hinders coordination, prevents endless debate, and just speeds the game up in general. And the meetings where people are allowed to talk are frequent enough that it's not that irritating to not get to hang out with your friends.

Overall: would recommend. But take it with a grain of salt as I've only played it on two separate occasions, and only with a single group, and I would expect enjoyment to vary wildly based on the people you're playing with.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!

Return to “The Arcade”